Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs are going to come knocking for out-of-contract Sun

Gold Coast midfielder Alex Davies is yet to sign a contract at Gold Coast for 2025 and beyond, and you can see why clubs are circling.

In his fourth game for the year and 29th overall, Davies was crucial in the 96-82 win over Port Adelaide with 20 disposals, 12 tackles and eight clearances.

While he’s played just four times in 2024, the 22-year-old ranks first in tackles per game and ninth in centre clearances per game across the entire AFL.

While he may miss some time after collecting Lachie Jones high and concussing the Power utility, Davies should come straight back into Damien Hardwick’s team once his time is served.

As Gold Coast’s midfield is so strong already, perhaps Davies will seek more opportunities elsewhere this off-season after clubs tried their luck in luring him away last campaign.

At 193cm with his athletic profile and high upside, surely clubs with midfield deficiencies like Collingwood, Geelong and St Kilda will come knocking.

Seems like the perfect replacement for Dave.

If he could play forward and rotate through the midfield, he would be in the side week after week.

Unfortunately, he's a bit like Wil Brodie.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
He can play forward like Dave, can mark. Way better than Brodie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Gold Coast Suns: Stats that show Suns are historically inefficient going inside 50​

Suns’ Forward 50 Return (Champion Data)
AFL Rank
Inside 50s
57.0​
2nd​
Score per Inside 50
40%​
17th​
Kick Inside 50 Retention
40.8%​
18th​
Forward 50 Ground balls
-5.3​
18th​
Never in the 18-team era has a team ranked in the top three for inside-50s and bottom three for inside-50 efficiency, until now.

And it gets even worse.

A staple of Hardwick’s premiership-winning Richmond sides was tackle pressure, particularly in the front half.

The Tigers brought forward-half pressure acts back into vogue and that blueprint was quickly copied by the rest of the competition, understanding how important field position and territory dominance was.

But it is a style Hardwick has not yet been able to implement on the Gold Coast, at least to the same standard.

The Suns are the worst in the AFL at retaining possession when going inside 50, with almost 60 per cent of their entries falling into opposition hands. They also rank dead last for ground ball gets inside 50.

Ben King and Jack Lukosius have been lauded for their goal kicking exploits in recent months but the pair struggle to make an impact defensively.

King averages just 5.1 forward half pressure acts (FHPA) per game and Lukosius 4.6.

Among key forwards who have played 10 or more games this season, only his brother Max and Jesse Hogan average fewer FHPA than King.

Using the same 10-game metric, Lukosius ranks last among general forwards.

But against North, the blanket assessment was that too many players underperformed in the defensive aspects of their game.

Earlier this week vice-captain Sam Collins revealed there were some home truths spoken about in match review. He said the Suns’ intent was not up to standard over the four quarters.

Effort is one of the easiest yet most important KPIs of a football side. It was a stinging appraisal of the playing group from the coaching staff.

Worst Seasons for Kick Inside 50 Retention (Champion Data)
Club
Season
Percentage
Gold Coast
2024​
40.8%​
Gold Coast
2019​
42.7%​
Hawthorn
2004​
43.6%​
Essendon
2015​
44.1%​
North Melbourne
2020​
44.3%​

Among all Suns forwards Long ranks second for FHPA this season, only marginally behind Malcolm Rosas Jr who is banging down the door for an AFL recall.

In his four AFL games this season, Rosas Jr averaged 12.8 FHPA – among the top-15 general forwards in the AFL and the best at the Suns, with Long and Jake Rogers not far behind.

AFL Gold Coast Suns: Stats that show Suns are historically inefficient going inside 50​

AFL Rank
Inside 50s
57.0​
2nd​
Score per Inside 50
40%​
17th​
Kick Inside 50 Retention
40.8%​
18th​
Forward 50 Ground balls
-5.3​
18th​
Never in the 18-team era has a team ranked in the top three for inside-50s and bottom three for inside-50 efficiency, until now.

And it gets even worse.

A staple of Hardwick’s premiership-winning Richmond sides was tackle pressure, particularly in the front half.

The Tigers brought forward-half pressure acts back into vogue and that blueprint was quickly copied by the rest of the competition, understanding how important field position and territory dominance was.

But it is a style Hardwick has not yet been able to implement on the Gold Coast, at least to the same standard.

The Suns are the worst in the AFL at retaining possession when going inside 50, with almost 60 per cent of their entries falling into opposition hands. They also rank dead last for ground ball gets inside 50.

Ben King and Jack Lukosius have been lauded for their goal kicking exploits in recent months but the pair struggle to make an impact defensively.

King averages just 5.1 forward half pressure acts (FHPA) per game and Lukosius 4.6.

Among key forwards who have played 10 or more games this season, only his brother Max and Jesse Hogan average fewer FHPA than King.

But against North, the blanket assessment was that too many players underperformed in the defensive aspects of their game.

Earlier this week vice-captain Sam Collins revealed there were some home truths spoken about in match review. He said the Suns’ intent was not up to standard over the four quarters.

Effort is one of the easiest yet most important KPIs of a football side. It was a stinging appraisal of the playing group from the coaching staff.

Club
Season
Percentage
Gold Coast
2024​
40.8%​
Gold Coast
2019​
42.7%​
Hawthorn
2004​
43.6%​
Essendon
2015​
44.1%​
North Melbourne
2020​
44.3%​

Among all Suns forwards Long ranks second for FHPA this season, only marginally behind Malcolm Rosas Jr who is banging down the door for an AFL recall.

In his four AFL games this season, Rosas Jr averaged 12.8 FHPA – among the top-15 general forwards in the AFL and the best at the Suns, with Long and Jake Rogers not far behind.
Makes sense. Any supporter knows we suck going inside 50. But that is bleak reading.

Honestly, if we clean that up we probably score 10-20 more points a game, as a start.

Players like Long present, where others are just not finding space or being front and centre of the ball drop or being out the back. Honestly, I have no idea what half our small forwards do…

But Long and Rosas are actually a good pressure player and goal threat. Need one more on the team (recruit?) and one more in development (e.g Rogers).

We are definitely better at attacking this year though, but that is coming from our halfback having a massive improvement overall.

So yeah, gameplan is generally more positive and a few players finally clicking together would make it elite.

AFL Rank
Inside 50s
57.0​
2nd​
Score per Inside 50
40%​
17th​
Kick Inside 50 Retention
40.8%​
18th​
Forward 50 Ground balls
-5.3​
18th​

And it gets even worse.

Club
Season
Percentage
Gold Coast
2024​
40.8%​
Gold Coast
2019​
42.7%​
Hawthorn
2004​
43.6%​
Essendon
2015​
44.1%​
North Melbourne
2020​
44.3%​

Also suggests that if we fix this up, the game should turn pretty quickly for us. I thought we were a lot better on the weekend for getting scores from inside 50's.

Also suggests that if we fix this up, the game should turn pretty quickly for us. I thought we were a lot better on the weekend for getting scores from inside 50's.
I thought we were terrible in the last quarter for inside 50 deliveries. We dominated and Port were ripe for 40+.

Makes sense. Any supporter knows we suck going inside 50. But that is bleak reading.

Honestly, if we clean that up we probably score 10-20 more points a game, as a start.

Players like Long present, where others are just not finding space or being front and centre of the ball drop or being out the back. Honestly, I have no idea what half our small forwards do…

But Long and Rosas are actually a good pressure player and goal threat. Need one more on the team (recruit?) and one more in development (e.g Rogers).

We are definitely better at attacking this year though, but that is coming from our halfback having a massive improvement overall.

So yeah, gameplan is generally more positive and a few players finally clicking together would make it elite.
And has been for some time I reckon..........so who are our Mid and FWD coaches who don't seem to be able to improve this part of our game.

And has been for some time I reckon..........so who are our Mid and FWD coaches who don't seem to be able to improve this part of our game.
I don’t think it’s so much the coaching, although I do believe our forward line doesn’t work smart enough to create easy space. But we have some absolute butchers of the ball up the field and the plan looks to still be get it in long and lock it in, but our smalls haven’t done a good enough job at doing that and we always seem to have a weak link allowing an easy out.

Plus we clearly haven’t rated foot skills when bringing in recruits, which I think is changing under Hardwick.

But like others have said, keep Rosas, Lloyd and Long in who are easily our best pressure players and add a Weller and a couple more elite kicks (Rioli, Rogers, etc.) to the outside and leagues f*cked.

I don’t think it’s so much the coaching, although I do believe our forward line doesn’t work smart enough to create easy space. But we have some absolute butchers of the ball up the field and the plan looks to still be get it in long and lock it in, but our smalls haven’t done a good enough job at doing that and we always seem to have a weak link allowing an easy out.

Plus we clearly haven’t rated foot skills when bringing in recruits, which I think is changing under Hardwick.

But like others have said, keep Rosas, Lloyd and Long in who are easily our best pressure players and add a Weller and a couple more elite kicks (Rioli, Rogers, etc.) to the outside and leagues f*cked.
The forwards not leading well can make the kicker look bad, it's a bit of a chicken or the egg thing.

The commentators noted luko not leading at the kicker at one stage on the weekend when we turned it over. He's getting to the point where he should know when to lead and when to run back to the goal. But I guess he's been moved about a bit.

We really just need to let King/Luko/Walter play together as much as possible. Players just need to learn their role better I guess.

Another thing re: the forward entries. 99% of new coaches work on defence first. Suspect when Dimma feels the team are defencing as he likes then he'll start working on the attack.

Last edited:
The forwards not leading well can make the kicker look bad, it's a bit of a chicken or the egg thing.

The commentators noted luko not leading at the kicker at one stage on the weekend when we turned it over. He's getting to the point where he should know when to lead and when to run back to the goal. But I guess he's been moved about a bit.

We really just need to let King/Luko/Walter play together as much as possible. Players just need to learn their role better I guess.
I re-watched the game. Some examples just in the last quarter when we dominated.

Anderson was streaming out from won centre bounce towards inside 50. 2 teammates were free and leading, but Anderson kicked it straight to opposition.

Humphrey got ball just inside 50 in pocket, put blinkers on and tried to kick the goal while Luko was waving hands directly in front of the goal.

Ainsworth working hard, got ball on the wing, running towards 50, terrible kick, leading King had no chance.

All our midfielders are among the worst in the league for deliveries inside 50.

Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back