Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

No respect for Uwland.

Not surprised I guess.
It’s hard for a non-midfielder to win the award. Even though Daicos and Sheezel have won it very recently, they were racking up 40 touches regularly off of half-back. Hard to ignore that in mainstream media.

And every second article was about them on AFL.com—especially Daicos!!! Goodness me…

Uwland does his job and does it well. But he isn’t flashy. Yet he’s been acknowledged by the club and fans as Player of the Round, so we know what he is worth. And some media like him and have talked him up, but I’m not sure it will be enough. Top 5 in the RS would be a big achievement, tbh.

Win games, make finals, win finals.

Then made up stuff like the Rising Star and best 22 under 22, and out of date stuff like the Brownlow, will not be that relevant.
AA team will be enough.
Of course, if a team is good enough to go deep in finals then the AA takes care of itself.

Glad we hit another PB but I'm surprised at the number, thought we would of got more growth than that.
Make finals and then you'll see a significant increase. But its slowly increasing year on year even minus the results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did somebody catch today Dwayne Russell's show? I believe somebody called and mentioned that Suns guernsey looks like a hanging apple? Was a new design released? I can't find anything. Or did I get it completely wrong :)

Did somebody catch today Dwayne Russell's show? I believe somebody called and mentioned that Suns guernsey looks like a hanging apple? Was a new design released? I can't find anything. Or did I get it completely wrong :)

I turned off after the first half a dozen callers. When the caller said to merge with Labrador sharks I thought that was enough talk back dribble for me

It was the current jumper they were referring to. Ie the sticker on a red apple is akin to the logo slapped on the jumper

[emoji[emoji6]][emoji6][emoji6]" data-quote="Jirik" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
If lommy is happy I am happy.

Ha, I didn’t walk out stoked. But there was some potential there to work with. Fingers crossed they got it right

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have put together my Player of the Year for 2024 there is a bit of a preamble to how I figured it out and I wanted to stick it in the forum somewhere so have a look here:

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com/2024/09/03/gold-coast-suns-player-of-the-year-2024/
Good on you. A lot of work.

I am very surprised by Collins standing in your rating. I did re-watch all games during the season and for me he was clearly the best player. He did not have many average/poor games. I suspect he will be B&F.

Flanders as HB really frustrated me. Wondering how his safe, short side-way kicks, slow ball movement impacted your rating system.

Mac 3rd also surprised me. When he finally got opportunity he started in defence on fire. I liked when he played on best KPF but then in the middle part of season I thought he played average. His first game forward was electric but again last 2 games were average/poor.

My top 2 by just watching games, no system 😂
Collins
Rowell

Good on you. A lot of work.

I am very surprised by Collins standing in your rating. I did re-watch all games during the season and for me he was clearly the best player. He did not have many average/poor games. I suspect he will be B&F.

Flanders as HB really frustrated me. Wondering how his safe, short side-way kicks, slow ball movement impacted your rating system.

Mac 3rd also surprised me. When he finally got opportunity he started in defence on fire. I liked when he played on best KPF but then in the middle part of season I thought he played average. His first game forward was electric but again last 2 games were average/poor.

My top 2 by just watching games, no system 😂
Collins
Rowell
Collins is hurt by those games where we get overrun because he is usually on the main key forward so he ends up being the last man responsible. Losing those marking contests leads to a few 4.5 or 5/10 games. But the eye test definitely validates that he is one of the best KD in the league, I think it's just a quirk of the system. I think I should give extra credit for big spoils in a 1 on 1 and not just marks to compensate Uwland, Powell and Collins more maybe.

Mac benefited from not often being on the best forward so he didn't lose as many contests as Collins so his ratings didn't drop as often. It also helps that a lot of his intercepts are spectacular marks that get more credit and his ball use beyond that.

As a halfback Flanders had three good games and three average ones in my notes. His sideways kicking didn't earn him loads of points but they also didn't hurt him so while he didn't end up with big scores he didn't give up a bunch of goals. His massive last three games probably won him the award as well, that last round probably got him there. Same thing happened with Rowell in the Roos' loss last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back