Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Sammy Flanders will take out the club champion next season. Absolute beast!
You could almost say he's come from the clouds in the last 18 months. Think it was this time last year, where his future was up in the air before he announced he re-signed for 4 years.

You could almost say he's come from the clouds in the last 18 months. Think it was this time last year, where his future was up in the air before he announced he re-signed for 4 years.
Was a decision between us or Hawthorn.

If I watched Flanders be as good as he was with us, with Hawthorn this year, I would have lost my shit. Dew not being able to see how good he could be is such a good example of how bad he was for team morale towards the end of his time with us.

Bowes too really. Been a key cog in the midfield that has just made a Semi-final

The old one must of had 5-4-3-2-1 from all coaches. We were getting leaderboards in the 400s
Yeah so I reckon the best way to explain it is each different coaching staff that we've had have had different ways of giving out votes for these kinds of things.

Makes sense when it's probably tied into the post match review process.

Was a decision between us or Hawthorn.

If I watched Flanders be as good as he was with us, with Hawthorn this year, I would have lost my shit. Dew not being able to see how good he could be is such a good example of how bad he was for team morale towards the end of his time with us.

Bowes too really. Been a key cog in the midfield that has just made a Semi-final
Bowes- bedwetter

Bowes was forced out because the club made horrendous cap decisions.

Don't blame him one bit for leaving and wanting to get paid. Bonus is now he gets to compete in a preliminary final. Hasn't become the game breaker we had hoped but he is still a good player in a great team.

Bowes was forced out because the club made horrendous cap decisions.

Don't blame him one bit for leaving and wanting to get paid. Bonus is now he gets to compete in a preliminary final. Hasn't become the game breaker we had hoped but he is still a good player in a great team.
we can't forget Jack was the first bloke to stand up for the club when everyone wanted to leave like Lynch, Bowesy was the one who rallied the crew when it was unfashionable and called them out to their faces in team meetings for deserting the ship, his loyalty and courage was not repaid by the club - he is a ripper young man

Current deal re-structured.

Mac Andrew commits future to Gold Coast Suns, inks AFL’s richest deal ever​

It is understood Andrew’s new deal is for six years with a games trigger for a further four years, netting him between $12-$14m based on various clauses.

Speaking exclusively to this masthead, Andrew revealed it was a conversation with Damien Hardwick early in the year which convinced him to stay on at the Suns.

“When Dimma came in and seeing the way he changed the place and how enjoyable he made it … it’s somewhere people want to be,” Andrew said.

“It really influenced my decision to make the Gold Coast my home for hopefully the rest of my career.

“We have a really young team and Dimma has brought us a lot closer. We’re all really connected and on the same page about what we want to achieve here. Once it all clicks I think it will be really scary what this team can do.”

The 20 year old was already contracted to the end of 2025, but it is understood his current deal has been restructured to reward his form this season that saw him become one of the most talked about young talents in the AFL.

“I probably never really wanted to go back to Melbourne,” he said.

“Even when I got drafted I was pretty open with Gold Coast about wanting to get out of Melbourne. It’s been a new adventure for me and I want to see what happens by sticking around here.

“Obviously there’s a tiny bit of thought you put into it given my family is down there, but they’re really happy for me to be up here.

“I think to maximise my career it’s best for me to stay up here in an environment where I can go about my own business.

“To my agency PSM, thanks to Chris and Ash for their support in getting this deal done.”

“You talk to most of the boys and they’ll tell you the same thing, the lifestyle up here is so much better,” he said.

“Good weather year-round, playing footy up here … those couple of games we sold out this year, the atmosphere was crazy. The more fans we can bring in the more people will want to stay here as well.

“My host family, Steve and Karen, I moved in with them when I came up here and they made it home for me. They’re like my mum and dad, they look after everything.

“The playing group, I have a great crew of boys I hang around with. The club makes it feel like no one is left out. We have a pretty diverse group and it’s something that has really helped me.

“I can go to anyone to chat, whether it’s one of the first-year boys or Touk (Miller).”
On-field he is one of the most watchable players in the AFL. But away from footy, Andrew says his life is very normal.

He loves the Gold Coast lifestyle but will never touch a surfboard – not much of a swimmer, he says.

“I want to start doing my barber course, that’s something I’m really passionate about,” Andrew added

“And I’ve just become a multicultural ambassador. I really want to dive into that space and try to make a positive impact in the multicultural community. I want to start doing more of that now.

“Besides that, it’s really just Playstation and training.”

But it hasn’t been all smooth sailing to this point for the No.5 pick in the 2021 national draft.

Last year he served two club-imposed sanctions totalling three games for off-field misdemeanours.

A contrite Andrew owned his mistakes on both occasions and this year has not put a foot wrong.

He said some “tough chats” with the likes of Hardwick and vice-captain Sam Collins were necessary and welcomed.

“Dimma always knew what I was capable of but he made me earn it and I think that’s something I needed,” Andrew said.

“He came in and reassured me he wants me to play under him for however long we’re both here and that definitely influenced my decision (to stay). He’s been great for me so far.

“I’ve had some tough chats with (Collins) over my time. Obviously I haven’t been perfect up here. But he’s been great. He’s the kind of guy who, if you’re not on board with him he’ll leave you behind … but I know I can go to him for anything.

“I could drop 10 marks in a row and Collo will still tell me to fly for the next one. I know the boys back me and my ability and it’s something I’m really grateful for.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasnt sure where to post. I haven’t done my membership survey yet. Anyone want me to highlight anything?
Yes, can you ask when the “winning” starts. I’m keen to make sure I don’t miss it 😎

Yes, can you ask when the “winning” starts. I’m keen to make sure I don’t miss it 😎
I've got a nice chair with only a few crumbs and worn bits close to the telly in the dayroom of a nice Nursing Home picked out
I can reserve another one next to me if you like

Last edited:
I've got a nice chair with only a few crumbs and worn bits picked out close to the telly in the dayroom of a nice Nursing Home picked out
I can reserve another one next to me if you like
At least we could watch the same game over and over and get as excited as watching it for the first time

IMG_3692.jpeg

At least we could watch the same game over and over and get as excited as watching it for the first time

View attachment 2109335
"Hey Statler-remember those Mac Andrew Rioli and Dusty deals?"
"They were terrible Waldorf!!!!!Still waiting for Finals!"
Booooo Suns!Get off the stage!

Young player to Greenwood, “ as a young player what should I do to fast track my development “ Greenwood replies “ ****ed if I know, I was playing Basketball at your age”

Young player to Greenwood, “ as a young player what should I do to fast track my development “ Greenwood replies “ ****ed if I know, I was playing Basketball at your age”
I also get that he took the best deal for him and I can't begrudge that but like, damn if he didn't completely **** us over when he left for North. Surprised he wanted to come back so soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back