Deepthroat

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2002
Keilor East
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast
Isn't it about time the match commitee bit the bullet and sent him back to the WAFL to gain some very much needed touch? I know they have invested a lot of game time in him to advance his learning but I think we'd be better off leaving Haynes or Sampi on a forward flank for the next month and giving one of these guys the chance to prove themselves.

If you examine his match stats in recent weeks, the number of possessions gathered by Embley is reducing week by week.
There are often pivotal points in games where the actions of an individual swing the momentum toward their side. sometimes those are reflected in stats (e.g.goals, marks) , sometimes they are things like smothers or tackles that are not listed in Stats.
I cannot recall Embley doing anything such as smothers or tackles in recent games that would make his low stats irrelevant, and am rather surprised he is still in the team.

For his own benefit he should get a run in the WAFL now -he has got talent, but seems to be struggling with the intensity at AFL level.
Who to bring in??
Apparently Haynes did ok for Subi this week, and Tuckey was also good for East Perth. Either of those 2 might be good for a change - it certainly is not likely to make things worse is it?

IMO, the loss of Peter Matera unfortunate though it is, now opens the door for Prior to get an overdue run this week. By all accounts his form has been great in recent weeks.

Originally posted by Methuselah
-he has got talent, but seems to be struggling with the intensity at AFL level.

I agree with that totally Methuselah. Embley reminds me of my sister who is a very talented rower. Her coach likes to put her in an older age group where the competition is much tougher.Put her in her own age group and she outclasses them easily. Last year her confidence was shot and she wasnt even performing in her own age group. So what did her coach do? Drop her from the older age group and let her row only in her own age group. What happened? She started winning her age group easily..her confidence came back so she went back to the older age group and won in that comp too. I think this should happen to Embers...he'll go back to the WAFL and play really well..he's confidence will come back and voila..he'll perform!

Andrew Embley is just so frustrating. He has talent to burn, but just doesn't consistently show it. He should be the 2002 version of Peter Wilson. A strong half forward flanker who kicks 2 goals a game.

If Tuckey has been performing at the WAFL level I think he should be given another chance. Until Embley can show that he is able to play consistently at WAFL level, he should not be included in the West Coast team.

I think Embers needs to go back to the WAFL. He has done some good things at the beginning of the season, but has not done much to warrant his inclusion week after week.

The lad needs to be dropped to the WAFL to regain some confidence, but playing for Swan Districts may not be the answer. Swans are not playing well and the only way Embers could get into a game with Swans if he was used in the backline.

I was wondering if the Eagles could get permission for Embers to play in a side such as East Perth to get touch and confidence. Playing for the black ducks would not do his confidence any good...

Originally posted by Goldenblue
I think Embers needs to go back to the WAFL. He has done some good things at the beginning of the season, but has not done much to warrant his inclusion week after week.

The lad needs to be dropped to the WAFL to regain some confidence, but playing for Swan Districts may not be the answer. Swans are not playing well and the only way Embers could get into a game with Swans if he was used in the backline.

I was wondering if the Eagles could get permission for Embers to play in a side such as East Perth to get touch and confidence. Playing for the black ducks would not do his confidence any good...

Don't go around making suggestions like that - AFL is already taking over the WAFL. We (West Perth) had to play Peel Thunder with Leigh Brown (who I don't think knew where Mandurah was), Daniel Haines, Scott Simister and their captain (who I forget) and without Brendan Fewster, who was recalled to the Dockers. We lost. Next week, the Dockers get them all back and Subi stuff Peel by a season's percentage.

You are right though, Embers wouldn't get much of a go in Swans forward line - I'd suggest a running role off the half back flank, which would be good practice for him anyway.

I'm a great supporter of his, BTW, and think he has a good future with us. He always puts in (and the critics from Tassie, Qld, Vic etc won't be able to see this necessarily on TV) and does do a lot of off-the-ball work, but this week's ground time was a clear sign that he's struggling to hold his place. Williams (another at West Perth) clearly deserves more of a run and there are others pushing for a place.

Originally posted by Methuselah

IMO, the loss of Peter Matera unfortunate though it is, now opens the door for Prior to get an overdue run this week. By all accounts his form has been great in recent weeks.

prior played well this weekend for east perth as did tuckey and sampi.

i would like to see prior replace metera as well but i'm still not sold on tuckey. sampi isn't the ideal player to replace embley but maybe phil should start looking over his shoulder.

Originally posted by noodle
prior played well this weekend for east perth as did tuckey and sampi.

i would like to see prior replace metera as well but i'm still not sold on tuckey. sampi isn't the ideal player to replace embley but maybe phil should start looking over his shoulder.

I saw Sampi play for South against WP and he wasn't that great. He did OK, but of course he got possessions playing at the back for a team that was under the pump for the whole of the first 3 qtrs.

I don't know who can replace the irreplaceable, but I guess we'll just shuffle the pack and come up with appropriate Docker match-ups.

Apart from Prior the guy that has been getting big WAFL raps is Trent Carrol, but I don't know where I'd play him.
I can't see Tuckey or Sierra being selected with BB, Gardy,Cox and Lynch in the side. The only two possible replacements for Embley IMO are Haynes and Munro. But the derby will be a hard game and Embers is a hard player so I reckon he will stay in the side with Prior coming in for Roo as the only change.

I'd like to see Tuckey get another run with the Eagles. He has been more consistant with East Perth and this year hasn't suffered as many injuries as Sierakowski. I also hear Tuckey is quite mobile, can take a good mark and can even play in the ruck.

As for Prior, he really needs to play AFL otherwise he may be a bit worried about his future with the club. I saw him play with the Royals a few weeks back and he made a few bad errors in defence whilst kicking in, but was very active along the half back flank.

Anyone got any news on Jeremy Humm?

Definetly agree about Embley, he has the talent however doesnt seem to be doing too well at the moment

I can see either Siera or Tuckey coming in for him and Prior in for Matera

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive been a big mark for Andrew Embley all along but his time has come for a run in the WAFL. He seems absolutely lost at times out there and over the length of the season Ive been calling him Boofhead! more than Embers!. Seems to be lacking confidence and has been given his fair share of chances, I cant see it hurting to have Haynes come into the side, couldnt do any worse than Embley has of late.

I agree...Embley's impact has consistently got worse over the last month or so and is time for a run in the WAFL. However he did play well against the Dockers in round 1 and when he turns it on he is very good. It wouldnt hurt though to bring in Tuckey, Haynes or Seira. Personally i would like to see Seira get another run but with Wilson, Lynch and Gardiner in the forward line i just dont know where he would fit in.

Prior also needs a game. Perhaps he should come in for Matera. Our midfield will be a little depleted without Matera and Jones.

IN: Prior, Haynes
OUT: Matera, Embley

That's why I would do anyway. Prior played a ripper game on Saturday and he deserves his chance.

On Embley, you gotta worry about his future at WC. He's been given so many chances but only turns it on several times a season and then goes missing. Wouldn't be surprised to see him traded for perhaps a big name player along with one of our draft picks. Lets hope he turns it back on in the WAFL though and regains his confidence.

If i were in control of whos in and whos out i would keep Embers for one more game. He is a tough player, just the kind you need when taking on the Dockers but if he has another nothing gmae then he should return to the WAFL.

Originally posted by Mr Eagle
At half time on 720 during the game v Geelong, one of the commentators was talking about how in Embley he saw a massive amount of potential, but also a player who seemed happy to coast along in mediocrity. He recommended national service for the lad, but I prefer the WAFL solution ;)

Which makes me wonder- why the heck doesn't the Army have an AFL team? :)

As for embers, he certainly has potential, but given the full nature of our list, and the number of people jostling for a spot, that simply isn't enough. Needs to be sent back to the WAFL for a fortnight or so to find some confidence and touch quick smart, because his time is probably running out.

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes

Are you a psychic? What colour underwear am I wearing :p

I think I would prefer not to know...:eek:

Well I knew that Matera was out and after Prior had a ripper game on the weekend, I thought he would be in.

On Haynes for Embley, similar type players, one playing crap at AFL level, one playing well at WAFL level. Simple swap.

Easy really...:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Embley has run out of chances by now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back