Opinion Swap Carlisle & Hurley

Remove this Banner Ad

I would send him down back, play him with Hurley, Hooker, Fletch.

With how the game is currently being played i would leave one forward near the goal square with two/three forwards across the half-forward area then divide the remainder between defense and mid-field.

Hurley FB, Carlisle CHB and Hooker plays that loose, floating "Michael Johnson" role intercepting I50s and helping his fellow defenders out?
Hooks has a great spoil/mark on him and has tidied up his kicking, plus he wont be expected to drill bullet passes out of defence he just has to mark, chip kick sideways or handballs out to Dempsey/Hibberd.

Above assumption of course is post-Fletch.

You could do that with Fletch in the side, both could play floating defenders

BTG is right.. we have 3 key backmen and we want/need one of them to play forward.. which is never going to be perfect...

However if you were to judge Carlisle and Hurley on exposed form:
Carlisle as a defender: 8/10
Hurley as a defender:7.5/10
Carlisle as a forward: 3/10
Hurley as a forward:5.5/10

Thus if you have them with Hurley forward and Carlisle back.. you get 13.5/20.. if you play it as is.. you get 10.5/20...

For me it is really that simple.
Not really. Comparing a sample of 50 games against 5 is not going to get you anything near reliable

In what world is Hurley a 5.5 as a forward? Maybe if it was out of 100 instead of 10. He is a 2/10 at best forwavd. Carlisle 3/10 from his 7 games? A really good sample size that

I agree with Thompson picking on Carlisle as long as it is about trying to motivate an aggressive response (I'd expect that he has been nothing but supportive behind closed doors).

Think this sort of approach needs to be equal parts carrot and stick though. Players should be instructed to honour the leads of the KPFs more than they do and Carlisle should be told to fly for the ball without any concern for those around him (including his team mates).

In what world is Hurley a 5.5 as a forward? Maybe if it was out of 100 instead of 10. He is a 2/10 at best forwavd. Carlisle 3/10 from his 7 games? A really good sample size that
Hurley wasn't that bad. He had a few games where he dominated up forward (6 goals against McPharlin, for example). At the very least he created a contest and brought the ball to ground.

BTG is right.. we have 3 key backmen and we want/need one of them to play forward.. which is never going to be perfect...

However if you were to judge Carlisle and Hurley on exposed form:
Carlisle as a defender: 8/10
Hurley as a defender:7.5/10
Carlisle as a forward: 3/10
Hurley as a forward:5.5/10

Thus if you have them with Hurley forward and Carlisle back.. you get 13.5/20.. if you play it as is.. you get 10.5/20...

For me it is really that simple.

No! Putting Hurley back into the forward line opens you up to the risk of Jack Wattsing him.

As soon as TBC and Ambrose are fit, play them all back and make do up forward with Daniher, Ambrose and Bellchambers. Carlisle can suck it up and move into the forwardline again to cover injuries.

Possibly an unpopular opinion around these parts, but having Fletch in our team is almost costing us from playing our players in their best positions...

I've seen some fairly odd things being suggested in the last twenty-four hours.

Players don't play for Bomber like they do Hird? Not to restart that whole debate, but what proof of that is there? Wildly jumping the gun after one bad loss. We had bad losses under Hird too, had he lost the players in those weeks? No, we'd just had a bad game.

A disconnect between Bomber and the players? What is that based on, exactly? One reasonably firm but fair public rollicking for a talented player who is under performing? Seems to be a fairly large disconnect between that and the likelihood of a large scale rift.

I'd suggest people need to just take a deep breath and stop jumping the shark.

Now, as for the actual topic, I've come around to wanting both Carlisle and Hurley back ideally, with Hooker also being back.

Agree, sack Fletcher!
Perhaps not quite sack Fletcher - because you don't do that to club legends, but he's certainly a potential cause for headaches from a positional POV.

When injury free Hurley is a more than able forward who regularly impacts the scoreboard - you only need to look at his splits from 2013 when he was fit (see here). Of course for Hurley keeping fit has always been a problem and playing in the backline reduces his exposure to injuries.

Consequently, while Hurley is the better forward you could argue that the team is better off with Carlisle up there because he is more likely to be up there every game instead of missing games through injury. When you consider injuries, rines calculations must change.

So the question shouldn't be whether Hurley is a better forward than Carlisle - he clearly is - but whether Hurley could play forward and remain uninjured. I suspect we all have our doubts about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This week would be an ideal one to play all four back. Fletcher to Elliott, and the other three to Cloke, White and Witts.

Obviously predicated on Ambrose and Bellchambers being fit, but it's very doable.

Then just play all four back against Footscray and Brisbane regardless of personnel and keep them below 100 points combined.

This week would be an ideal one to play all four back. Fletcher to Elliott, and the other three to Cloke, White and Witts.

Obviously predicated on Ambrose and Bellchambers being fit, but it's very doable.

Then just play all four back against Footscray and Brisbane regardless of personnel and keep them below 100 points combined.
I suppose the bigger dilemma arrives when Dempsey comes back. You'd have Hurley, Carlisle, Hooker, Hibberd, Dempsey, Baguley and Fletcher.

Try Fletch forward? Unless you want to play a loose man in defence...

Always start all 4 back, and swing one forward at random when shit aint getting done at the other end. Horses for courses.

Novel approach, but everyone needs a point of difference.

Always start all 4 back, and swing one forward at random when shit aint getting done at the other end. Horses for courses.

Novel approach, but everyone needs a point of difference.
What is happening now ain't working so why not give it a try? And as Ben says, this next 3 weeks are perfect for it.

I think Bomber knows Carlisle's psychology better than us, appears a pretty proud lad. Hopefully attacking that should only have him respond and become a better player.

I'd just have a backline of Fletcher, Hurley, Carlisle, Pears, Hooker and Ryder.
Leave Alwyn Davey in the forward 50 and have Adam Cooney in the ruck.

I suppose the bigger dilemma arrives when Dempsey comes back. You'd have Hurley, Carlisle, Hooker, Hibberd, Dempsey, Baguley and Fletcher.

Try Fletch forward? Unless you want to play a loose man in defence...

You run seven through the backline normally anyway. Heppell, Myers and Gleeson just become full time mids instead of mid/backs.

You run seven through the backline normally anyway. Heppell, Myers and Gleeson just become full time mids instead of mid/backs.
Dempsey to push up the ground more?

I think some have under rated what Hurley gave us forward... a damn bit more than Carlisle has given thus far...

we are 2-3 and something is on the nose.. our coach is publicly flaying players and their preparation.. we have Dempsey getting banned from the main group.. we have a potential AA player facing VFL..

But okey dokey.. we'll just pretend it isn't happening...

I seem to remember the same amount of vitriol directed at me when I suggested Knights wasn't up to it after 5 games.. was told I was crazy and give him time.. and it got so much better didn't it?! Not.

You don't need a heap of time to see trends.

I'm not suggesting we won't make finals, I'm not suggesting we won't play good footy this year... in fact I EXPECT us to make finals and play some very good footy.. we SHOULD be a very good footy side.. just like we were last year.

All I'm suggesting is that we need to get back to a happy place.. not this shit.

I think some have under rated what Hurley gave us forward... a damn bit more than Carlisle has given thus far...

we are 2-3 and something is on the nose.. our coach is publicly flaying players and their preparation.. we have Dempsey getting banned from the main group.. we have a potential AA player facing VFL..

But okey dokey.. we'll just pretend it isn't happening...

I seem to remember the same amount of vitriol directed at me when I suggested Knights wasn't up to it after 5 games.. was told I was crazy and give him time.. and it got so much better didn't it?! Not.

You don't need a heap of time to see trends.

I'm not suggesting we won't make finals, I'm not suggesting we won't play good footy this year... in fact I EXPECT us to make finals and play some very good footy.. we SHOULD be a very good footy side.. just like we were last year.

All I'm suggesting is that we need to get back to a happy place.. not this shit.
Disappointed to see you so reactionary rines.
There are entirely reasonable explanations for the past two weeks but you would rather throw the team structure out the window?
The major element to Hurleys game playing forward, is how he leads hard up the ground finding space only for the ball to bounce off his cast iron hands.
I never ever want to go back to that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Swap Carlisle & Hurley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back