SWFL talent

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know why i am saying this, this is only a wild assumption but i can somewhat see Matt Riggio (Kangaroos / Peel thunder) joining the SWFL for $$$ as i can not see WAFL clubs giving him anything.

Just calling it early, probably won't happen but a chance

I don't know why i am saying this, this is only a wild assumption but i can somewhat see Matt Riggio (Kangaroos / Peel thunder) joining the SWFL for $$$ as i can not see WAFL clubs giving him anything.

Just calling it early, probably won't happen but a chance
He was training with Fremantle for a few weeks. He has a strong Peel connection with Trevor Williams coaching him in colts to a Premiership. I wouldn't rule it out, but I think he'll play at Peel this year.

I think Howlett can get picked up as a rookie. Fremantle most likely. Would be interesting to see if he continues his part -time study at uni in Bunbury if this happens. I would also think he will no longer travel from donnybrook for training and games

Well done Benny. Well deserved. Take the opportunity Essendon have given you and run with it!

I think Howlett can get picked up as a rookie. Fremantle most likely. Would be interesting to see if he continues his part -time study at uni in Bunbury if this happens. I would also think he will no longer travel from donnybrook for training and games

Is his Father Gavin?

Is his Father Gavin?

No. Gavin's cousin, Terry, is his father.
icon10.gif

South bunbury

Interested to see if the 100+ K which South Bunbury pay out each year will help them finish high this season as ive herd many players are leaving. not too worry though supporters im sure they will buy in their yearly quota of around 10 players. Feel sorry for the youth of this club who have to be pushed back to ressies and colts due to these payed players. The issue is, the SWFL is run by South Bunbury therefore their money and favouratism will never run out.

Re: South bunbury

Interested to see if the 100+ K which South Bunbury pay out each year will help them finish high this season as ive herd many players are leaving. not too worry though supporters im sure they will buy in their yearly quota of around 10 players. Feel sorry for the youth of this club who have to be pushed back to ressies and colts due to these payed players. The issue is, the SWFL is run by South Bunbury therefore their money and favouratism will never run out.

Yeah the SWFL has now pretty much become the 2nd WAFL competition (dumping ground) for those who can't hack it/ can't make it in the AFL or for those who have retired from WAFL. Obviously money is the only reason these players are attracted down south its not the lifestyle or what ever else they say.

Its good that the Colts competition has now become an U/19s age group, as these players can stay in their own age group and not be forced to play resys due to the fact there are ex WAFL players in the League comp now.

Leave is what players have been forced to do I guess and change clubs takes these players for example.

Nev Jetta
Lewis Jetta
Frank Quartermine

I'm sure there are others. Nev and Lewis both left Carey Park at around 18 years of age to play League for Bunbury who were not as strong as CP and SB. Both are now playing AFL but if they both stayed at CP there development would have been delayed and they may not have been playing AFL today. Frank also has been everywhere I'm not sure if it is due to money or opportunities but he has gone from CP to Bunbury to SB.

I also have known a few players who were playing resys at CP and SB went to Eaton which is only 10km down the road to get a regular league spot. Eaton are given locals a go and are building a good bread of youngsters and not falking out the cash for lots of ex WAFL players. I expect them to be a top 3 side for about a period of 5-7 years in the next 2 years if they keep the young players they have developed.

Interesting to hear all the comments on clubs throwing the cash around to win flags etc. Carey Park for example have won the last 2 flags, last year they debuted 2 15 year olds in their league side. Their travelling players were Matt Virgo, Damien Gaspar and Brendan Carlson ( who is originally a local player living in perth ). Michael Finn ( the big irishman ) came to the club after moving over from Melbourne for work and played for no money.There are the 3 ex LSWFL players in Tom Collins, Scott Roche and Jimmy Sebire who came to the club as a result of good recruiting all of which now live in bunbury ( except Sebire who has moved to perth ) and play for not alot of $$$. The rest of the team were made up of local players and some extremly talented youngsters in Kirk Ugle and Glen Garlett. I couldn't see CP spending in excess of $40k last year. In previous years yeah possibly but not in their 2009 premiership.

Interesting to hear all the comments on clubs throwing the cash around to win flags etc. Carey Park for example have won the last 2 flags, last year they debuted 2 15 year olds in their league side. Their travelling players were Matt Virgo, Damien Gaspar and Brendan Carlson ( who is originally a local player living in perth ). Michael Finn ( the big irishman ) came to the club after moving over from Melbourne for work and played for no money.There are the 3 ex LSWFL players in Tom Collins, Scott Roche and Jimmy Sebire who came to the club as a result of good recruiting all of which now live in bunbury ( except Sebire who has moved to perth ) and play for not alot of $$$. The rest of the team were made up of local players and some extremly talented youngsters in Kirk Ugle and Glen Garlett. I couldn't see CP spending in excess of $40k last year. In previous years yeah possibly but not in their 2009 premiership.
what about players like Nani, the Mcguires and McMillians? They weren't paid players??? CP would of spent alot of $$$ mate. Not as much as Sth Bunbury but well over 40K.

who were they? Klein and someone else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you know much about Klein? Why is he playing at Carey Park cause he played all his junior footy for busselton team Countrys..

Not too sure he obviously has some connection through the club. His parents are based in Bunbury now.
He won the F&B for the colts last year. Pretty good effort for someone his age.

Yeah the SWFL has now pretty much become the 2nd WAFL competition (dumping ground) for those who can't hack it/ can't make it in the AFL or for those who have retired from WAFL. Obviously money is the only reason these players are attracted down south its not the lifestyle or what ever else they say.

Leave is what players have been forced to do I guess and change clubs takes these players for example.

Nev Jetta
Lewis Jetta
Frank Quartermine

I'm sure there are others. Nev and Lewis both left Carey Park at around 18 years of age to play League for Bunbury who were not as strong as CP and SB. Both are now playing AFL but if they both stayed at CP there development would have been delayed and they may not have been playing AFL today. Frank also has been everywhere I'm not sure if it is due to money or opportunities but he has gone from CP to Bunbury to SB.

I also have known a few players who were playing resys at CP and SB went to Eaton which is only 10km down the road to get a regular league spot. Eaton are given locals a go and are building a good bread of youngsters and not falking out the cash for lots of ex WAFL players. I expect them to be a top 3 side for about a period of 5-7 years in the next 2 years if they keep the young players they have developed.

Pretty sure they didn't leave for lack of opportunity. There was some sort of disagreement and they followed Muzza Collard to Bunbury because he got a coaching job there. Don't know much about the last few years but Carey Park have always played the youngsters if they are good enough. Brendan Carlson, Adam Linforth, Peter Jetta, Simon Cooke and Shane Cooke/Miles all played league at 16/17 and are premiership players.

Players go to Eaton because they are a shit league team and are guaranteed games. My mate couldn't get off the bench in an average colts side and got a league game there a few years later. He wasn't a late bloomer either. Not much competition at the Boomers.

Pretty sure they didn't leave for lack of opportunity. There was some sort of disagreement and they followed Muzza Collard to Bunbury because he got a coaching job there. Don't know much about the last few years but Carey Park have always played the youngsters if they are good enough. Brendan Carlson, Adam Linforth, Peter Jetta, Simon Cooke and Shane Cooke/Miles all played league at 16/17 and are premiership players.

Players go to Eaton because they are a shit league team and are guaranteed games. My mate couldn't get off the bench in an average colts side and got a league game there a few years later. He wasn't a late bloomer either. Not much competition at the Boomers.

Did Shane Cooke play in a league premiership or just colts?

I think you might be referring to the boomers of 2 - 5 years ago. There was no competition at the club due to they played a majority of 18 - 22 year olds for a period of time. Now that these majority of players are 21 - 25 they are more than likely to see finals action for the frst time in their League history. There would be plenty of competition at the boomers now and this isn't because they are paying $$$ for Markee players eithers.

Did Shane Cooke play in a league premiership or just colts?

I think you might be referring to the boomers of 2 - 5 years ago. There was no competition at the club due to they played a majority of 18 - 22 year olds for a period of time. Now that these majority of players are 21 - 25 they are more than likely to see finals action for the frst time in their League history. There would be plenty of competition at the boomers now and this isn't because they are paying $$$ for Markee players eithers.

Yeah that's when my mate played for them. Thought Cooke played in a league one. He didn't play in a colts one. When he was a colt the team was rubbish. Just checked. He played in 06 one. Simon though isnt a flag winner.

Did he develop at all over those few years or stay at the same level?

I highly doubt it was Tristian McMillan who now plays at Eaton. He was a State Country Colts player and was playing league for the Panthers since a young age. Hardly a bench player in a Colts side.
I had the same thought as you but he was the only bloke from Carey Park who I knew went to Eaton. But he would now be there clearly for game time IMO as he didn't get overly alot with Carey Park league I thought

Alan Stidworthy. Played a few games when House was the coach. I'm pretty sure he stopped playing altogether between colts and that season. Was about 4 years ago now. maybe 5. So they are on the up now? Are they getting games out of the boys from the colts flag sides? I see Fielding is at the sheep now and Vivs at the Parks. Many other players switch clubs?

I highly doubt it was Tristian McMillan who now plays at Eaton. He was a State Country Colts player and was playing league for the Panthers since a young age. Hardly a bench player in a Colts side.

Tristian McMillian didn't leave Carey Park over a lack of opportunity. He was a solid contributor with his time at the panthers. Alot of people at the club were very disappointed when Tristian left.
Correct about Shane Cooke playing in the Panthers 2006 premiership side. " cookie " or " barge arse " as he is known had and still has a great left foot and for a big bloke didn't miss too many targets.

Remove this Banner Ad

SWFL talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back