Sydney 2009 = Melbourne 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

The Uncle

Debutant
Jun 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
In 2009 Sydney finished 12th with 8 wins and 14 losses, Given the entry of GC in 2011 our finishing position this year will compare very similarly with that result. In 2010 Sydney finished 5th with 13 wins and 9 losses. Personally I believe we could achieve a similar rapid rise up the ladder with the right coach and a similar drafting/trading strategy to Sydney after their 09" season.

Sydney chased young players from other clubs who either weren't getting the game time they deserved becasue of more experienced players or offered more money that opposition clubs couldn't match because the young players were too far down the pecking order.

Josh Kennedy & Ben McGlynn traded for picks #39, #46, #70

Kennedy was offered a 3 year contract worth between 180K-200K a year which was more than double Hawthorn's offer.

Shane Mumford traded for pick #28

I believe Mumford was offered some where between 300K-500K. He was on Geelong's Rookie list at the time and they couldn't come close to matching it due to Ottens & Blakes contracts.

Mark Seaby was involved in a 3 way trade which basically cost them Amon Buchanan and pick's #22 and #118

Barry Hall traded for pick #47

Darren Jolly traded for picks #14 and #46

I'm not saying we need to be quite as aggressive as Sydney was in 2009 but I think these are the types of trades we should be looking at. Sides like Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn have a number of young players who aren't getting the game time they deserve or aren't getting paid as much as we could offer them. I don't think we need to go out and recruit some big gun names, but simply 2-3 solid players that are young and talented.

In no order and not saying we have a chance of getting these players, but simply putting up names of players I believe fit into the above categories I've mention:

Kane Lucas, Tyson Goldsack, Chris Dawes, Alex Fasolo, Mitch Brown, Daniel Menzel, Taylor Hunt, Tom Hawkins, Nathan Vardy, Josh Toy, Daniel Gorringe, Xavier Ellis, Jordan Lisle, John Butcher, Tom Lynch, Jesse White, Gary Rohan, Chris Masten, Jarrad Grant.

Please don't bother posting if your just going to tear apart the names I've put up as possibilies.

If we can get some kids like Hanneberry to step up for us too (looking at Morton, Bail, Tapscott, Gysberts, Bennell, Strauss*, Blease, etc) then we'll do it.

It's not about talent, it's application.

Good post.

We absolutely need to start looking at trading for more established players searching for a new home. No need to go crazy and target fading veteran stars, but there have to be solid players looking for new homes. The Port Adelaide situation for instance may present a few opportunities over the next couple of years.

Also wouldn't mind them casting the net a little wider as well in terms of international and VFL/WAFL prospects (hopefully our strengthened financial position will make us a bigger player in the scouting stakes).

Agree with your thinking there. It has disappointed me that we haven't been more involved in trade week in the past few years.

That Kennedy and McGlynn trade was an absolute steal.

I'd like us to look at the following:

Brad Symes
Shaun McKernan
Aaron Cornelius
Tyson Goldsack
Aaron Joseph
Brent Macaffer
Shannon Byrnes
Tom Gillies
Simon Hogan
Clint Young
Tom Lynch (St Kilda)

Mostly fringe players or in the best 22 but not the best 18, and have been in the system at least 3 or so years.

Generally from top 8 clubs where competition is fierce.

If we could land say 2 or 3 and it enables us to get rid of some 'dead wood', a player who wants out, or only costs 2nd or 3rd round picks, then all the better. Obviously this is unlikely but stranger things have happened (i.e. the Sydney trade above).

When you take a fringe player you have to see potential for improvement as well.

McGlynn went from a tagger to a dangerous half forward. The simple change of position increased his value.

Kennedy was more about opportunity. He went from a depth player to the main man and obvious delivered.

If you look at potential holes in our list where players could stand up I'd say - skilled outside half back flanker/wingman and crumbing forward would be the two. So I'd consider players who have been starved of opportunities in these roles. One I had my eye on was Tony Armstrong from the crows, but he seems to have got back on track in the last 2 weeks.

I agree with the thinking but I only want the club to trade for players we really need, rather than doing it for the sake of it. We have more than enough kids on the list and we have been investing in them through draft picks for ages. Now is the time to grab a few other players, if they are available, and add them to the list.

Will be interesting to see the mindset of the club with a new coach and the direction we go in with this as Bailey was clearly told that it was all about the kids, but I think that has now changed.

Can see the comparison but imo it's someone like Goodes who you are lacking. Never underestimate the ability of a superstar and Melbourne don't have one. Haven't really had one since Neitz in his prime (I might be forgetting someone). Need to find a mid or forward who is capable of giving you that extra 2-3 wins off his own boot. Plus they just lift the team in general. Take Goodes out of our team and we'd be no better than you are this year.

Had you landed Judd in 08 then you'd be a certainty for finals this year imo.

We're waiting for Sylvia and Davey to really stand up. Otherwise it's going to take a while for that 'superstar' to come around.

Plenty of potential though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney 2009 = Melbourne 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back