Sydney aren't much chop.

Remove this Banner Ad

SaintsSupporter said:
I didn't say you moved it, I said that the main section is for expressing your opinion on football matters, which my post does. It doesn't take a shot at supporters, it doesnt say SWANS SUPPOTERS ARE D1CKS or SYDNEY ARE F*CKING CRAP, it poses a question as to why they are being talked up when they factually haven't beaten teams of much substance.

So to make your argument stronger you could show where they are being talked up and by who. Then you could rebut this with your opinion and some facts.

doppleganger said:
i was comparing sydney to collingwood, people are saying the pies are doing well as we have had no injuries, when we have 5 changes in one week we lose, said that people could also question sydney re no depth as they have only used 24-25 players

i think collingwood & sydney will both make the top4, but funny how pies come under fire from all angles yet sydney seem to slip under the radar when the seasons to date have been very similar!

lol...part n parcel of being the magpies. You either love them or hate them! There a lots of people that love to shoot you down. Not the same with the swans. If we win a few more grannies over the next few years, this would change ;)

doppleganger said:
i think collingwood & sydney will both make the top4, but funny how pies come under fire from all angles yet sydney seem to slip under the radar when the seasons to date have been very similar!

Im sure you are clever enough to answer that for yourself.

skipper kelly said:
So to make your argument stronger you could show where they are being talked up and by who. Then you could rebut this with your opinion and some facts.
I don't mean on the BigFooty boards, although it has happened.

Case #1: Channel 10 advertisement stating that the Swans are on the most dominant winning streak in the last 5 years last week.

Case #2: Russel Barwick stating that he hadn't seen a more dominant winning streak before.

Case #3: Countless other times on the BigFooty boards.

This may just be Sydney hype but when down in Melbourne during Round 9 I read similar stuff.

I hate this argument that when a team has plenty of wins on the board "they haven't beaten anybody". Winning form is good form, and if sustained over more than 3 or 4 weeks, the team must be pretty decent. Collingwood have proven themselves to be a good side (their only poor performance was against Melbourne this year, and the Pies will finish top 5), as have Melbourne (after several dodgy wins by less than a goal). Sydney will be up there again and have proven many wrong (including me) after their poor start to the season after Rounds 1-4.

doppleganger said:
sydney lost to

essendon - pies beat them
port - pies beat them
st.kilda - pies yet to play them
melbourne - pies lost to them too

pies have lost to
west coast - sydney yet to play them
adelaide - sydney yet to play them
melbourne - sydney did too

yet pies are rubbish, sydney are certain top4?

Where did I say that Sydeny are a certain top 4 team? And where did I say Collingwood where rubbish? I think that Collingwoods position on the ladder doesn't give a true indication of how they are going but I don't think they'll miss the 8.

All I said was that Sydney > Collingwood. Do you want to dispute that? Because in reality Collingwood haven't beaten much other than the dogs.

Sydney will not beat WC eagles or Colingwood this season becaue the "kick it to barry" game plan will not work aganst them.

They will beat any other team with this plan but not the big two.

Wc eagle are the best team in the comp. Sydney are boring now that Roos has lost it.

FB&W said:
Sydney will not beat WC eagles or Colingwood this season becaue the "kick it to barry" game plan will not work aganst them.

They will beat any other team with this plan but not the big two.

Wc eagle are the best team in the comp. Sydney are boring now that Roos has lost it.

They were boring on many occasions before, but beat teams that were killed by injury. Luck was a winner for the Swans!!!

saintsrule said:
They were boring on many occasions before, but beat teams that were killed by injury. Luck was a winner for the Swans!!!

Luck never played fo them I was talking about hall. They always kick to barry now.

SaintsSupporter said:
I've been saying it for ages - why is everyone getting so worked up about the Swans going on a 6 match winning streak? People are saying they're in a better position than last year, but look who they beat:

1) Geelong - were and still are in a massive form slump, were hardly competitive on the night bar a late comeback. Only beaten by 4 goals.

2) Brisbane - were in a bigger slump than Geelong, and were looking the wooden spooners at the time. Only beaten by 5 goals.

3) Richmond - fair enough, I'll give Sydney this one. Richmond were starting to get a little form about them and got thumped.

4) Western Bulldogs - were well down on their early form with key injuries to Minson, Giansiracusa among others. Only beaten by 3 goals.

5) Hawthorn - a convincing win, but look at what Hawthorn have done since. Nothing.

6) North Melbourne - the worst of their 6 wins. Were down by 5 goals at one stage and only just pinned back this year's spooners.

--------------------------------------

What do these all have in common?

1) All were either a) out of the 8 last year, or b) out of the 8 this year.
2) Besides the Richmond game, none were overly convincing.
3) Are ALL in bad form at the moment, and can barely string 2 wins together.

In their 11 games this year, Sydney has only played finalists from last year FOUR TIMES - Port Adelaide, Melbourne, St. Kilda and Geelong. They lost to Port AT HOME, Melbourne AT HOME and the Saints AT HOME, and beat a Cats side who won't make the 8 this year.

In the next two months, they play COLLINGWOOD, ADELAIDE, WEST COAST at SUBI, PORT ADELAIDE at AAMI and MELBOURNE at the MCG, all of which they will lose.

After 19 rounds this year, the Swans will be 10 and 9 and will play tough games against Geelong at Skilled and Brisbane at TS which will determine whether they make the 8 or not.

And don't reply with a St. Kilda bash, I think we're going in the same direction, but I fail to see why Sydney's dodgy winning form is going unnoticed.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

SaintsSupporter said:
Who do you think will win?I'm tipping Sydney, as they always play well against good teams, but badly against bad teams.

;) ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB&W said:
Luck never played fo them I was talking about hall. They always kick to barry now.

not accurate, they kick to many other forward options, but hall is the dominant forward, so they will pass to him where possible, as they do gehrig or riewoldt, lloyd, fevola or waite, etc.

SaintsSupporter said:
I've been saying it for ages - why is everyone getting so worked up about the Swans going on a 6 match winning streak? People are saying they're in a better position than last year, but look who they beat:

1) Geelong - were and still are in a massive form slump, were hardly competitive on the night bar a late comeback. Only beaten by 4 goals.

2) Brisbane - were in a bigger slump than Geelong, and were looking the wooden spooners at the time. Only beaten by 5 goals.

3) Richmond - fair enough, I'll give Sydney this one. Richmond were starting to get a little form about them and got thumped.

4) Western Bulldogs - were well down on their early form with key injuries to Minson, Giansiracusa among others. Only beaten by 3 goals.

5) Hawthorn - a convincing win, but look at what Hawthorn have done since. Nothing.

6) North Melbourne - the worst of their 6 wins. Were down by 5 goals at one stage and only just pinned back this year's spooners.

--------------------------------------

What do these all have in common?

1) All were either a) out of the 8 last year, or b) out of the 8 this year.
2) Besides the Richmond game, none were overly convincing.
3) Are ALL in bad form at the moment, and can barely string 2 wins together.

In their 11 games this year, Sydney has only played finalists from last year FOUR TIMES - Port Adelaide, Melbourne, St. Kilda and Geelong. They lost to Port AT HOME, Melbourne AT HOME and the Saints AT HOME, and beat a Cats side who won't make the 8 this year.

In the next two months, they play COLLINGWOOD, ADELAIDE, WEST COAST at SUBI, PORT ADELAIDE at AAMI and MELBOURNE at the MCG, all of which they will lose.

After 19 rounds this year, the Swans will be 10 and 9 and will play tough games against Geelong at Skilled and Brisbane at TS which will determine whether they make the 8 or not.

And don't reply with a St. Kilda bash, I think we're going in the same direction, but I fail to see why Sydney's dodgy winning form is going unnoticed.

unfortunately your 10-9 win/loss record is quite dilusional, as is your chances of winning this years grand final, maybe you should take your daily dosage of reality pills before making such stupid statements :thumbsdown:

They will beat collingwood
They will beat port
They may or may not beat Melb, but likely they will
They will beat WCE
They may or may not beat adelaide

why?

collingwood = crap
port = rebuilding, so not enough to compete with
melb = good team, but sydney has too much strength
wce = probably won't lift out of form slump, should overrun them at home
adelaide = best side, should be sydney v adelaide gf

Lets analyse the season so far shall we?

Sydney's pre-season started 1month later than everyone elses. They lost nearly every practise match, and why? because they played all their reservers. By the time the season came around, the senior squad wasn't quite up to match fitness, and ready to play as a team yet, which was obvious by their first 3 games.

Now to add to this, and regarding the month late start, they were 1/3 by this stage, with loss to essondon @ td, port @ home, melb @ home.

Lets look at the teams and their current stage?

Essondon = 16th, 1 win, stars out, probably won't win again this season
Port = on the rise after a form slump, will beat WCE, should go 9th-10th this year
Melb = this match started their run of 5 consequtive wins...

Now had they started their pre-season a month or more earlier, their win/loss would be mammoth, in fact, the only team they would of potentially lost too was St Kilda on the weekend, which would make them 10/1 and 1st on the ladder.

When you consider they were defeated by these teams, you have to put into perspective the conditions, the play style, and how they played on the day. You cannot generalise and say wce> port, so wce >>>>>>>>>> sydney

Defeating Brisbane @ gabba is no easy task, as proven by Adelaide who won by 9 points.
Hawthorn may have smashed geelong @ skiddina park, but they almost beat WCE, and would be top8 if their fitness wasn't so terrible.

Their 6 game streak may have been against lower based teams out of the top8, but when challenged the Swans have proven they can win, even if only by 1 point (2005 GF), and the match against St Kilda was 50-50 based on the conditions, hell it would of been 50-50 if it were Essendon & WCE.

Oh lets not forget, Essendon ALMOST defeated WCE @ TD.

Oh btw, didn't geelong beat St Kilda?

Current form is no real indicator.

Shocking early in the season.

Had a good run, belted some teams (most unusual), snuck one home and narrowly lost in a mud bath to a better side on the day.

Heaps of guys are playing through injury. Expect to see some younger blokes have a crack in the second half of the season.

The week off will do them good.

That's about as much commitment you'll get from me but I'll be there yelling every week at home regardless.

Adelaide are the best team at the moment, sydney still arent rated dispite winning the flag and being a flag contender again:confused: melbourne has already bet sydney this year

Always knew when looking at the draw early on this year that this brace of 5 games (which started last week) would probably determine our top 4 chances. Drop more than 2 and I'd suspect we might struggle to make Top 4. We failed the first test last week. 4 out 5 of those games are at home so that really should help.

Our form of the last 2 weeks is less than convincing leaving me quite pessimistic about those next 4 games. We have been playing injured players, always a risky proposition, so we'll see what impact that has later on down the track. Our depth has not been tested and I'd be worried about pulling guys into the team who have not played senior football ever/in the last 12 months against the sort of opposition we have in the next 4 weeks. I would've liked to seen them blooded earlier, and yes we might see a few more of them later on in the year. That said our away games in the run home are against Port, Melbourne and Geelong, none of those easy assignments for blokes coming into the side with little senior experience.

Right now on form I wouldn't put us near WC, Adel., or Melb. but on par with Collingwood and slightly ahead of the Dogs, Saints and Freo.

Jimmy_the_Gent said:
Where did I say that Sydeny are a certain top 4 team? And where did I say Collingwood where rubbish? I think that Collingwoods position on the ladder doesn't give a true indication of how they are going but I don't think they'll miss the 8.

All I said was that Sydney > Collingwood. Do you want to dispute that? Because in reality Collingwood haven't beaten much other than the dogs.
who said i was talking directly to you??

who have sydney beaten??

pies have beaten more teams and sydney are yet to even play a top4 team yet

doppleganger said:

who have sydney beaten??

we play you
we will beat you :thumbsu:

doppleganger said:
even then u still are yet to beat or even play a decent team!!

only two decent teams it seems at the minute

adelaide & west coast

But if WC were 40 odd points down to Carlton at Subi, surely they are not decent. And Adelaide lost to WC at AAMI so they are not decent either.

Seems like there are no decent teams:rolleyes:

doppleganger said:

who have sydney beaten??

If you weren't talking directly to me why did you quote me?

Sydeny haven't beaten much and neither have Collingwood, I said that in my first post. The difference is, Sydeny won the flag last year so we know that with the current crop of players they can beat anyone. Last year Collingwood didn't prove much, either beacuse they were crap or because all their players where injured...

Hence, as far as we can tell, Sydney > Collingwood. It's not hard to understand.

Jimmy_the_Gent said:
Yes, I want to dispute that. 40 points the margin at the moment, in favour of the Pies.
MrSquashed said:
unfortunately your 10-9 win/loss record is quite dilusional.
Not so dilusional after tonight's performance, hey?
MrSquashed said:
They will beat collingwood

why?

collingwood = crap
What does that make you after tonight?
MrSquashed said:
we play you
we will beat you :thumbsu:
Good call, idiot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney aren't much chop.

Remove this Banner Ad