Sydney retaining star players for less money than other rivals. Good culture or salary cap cheating?

Remove this Banner Ad

Boyohboywowwee

All Australian
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Swans sign will Hayward today long term, that’s nearly 6 long term contracts now. All reports they have all signed for significant less money then offered by other clubs. Surely it’s a good culture and nothing sneaky going on

As long as they are abiding to the same salary cap as everyone else I don't see what the issue is here?

Other teams have also done this over the years.

It's where the talks of COLA being re-introduced is where the problem starts.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Swans sign will Hayward today long term, that’s nearly 6 long term contracts now. All reports they have all signed for significant less money then offered by other clubs. Surely it’s a good culture and nothing sneaky going on
Carlton have basically done the same. Weitering said that the core group all agreed to stick together to try and win it all, even if that meant sacrificing some coin.

It certainly happens if the players can see a bright future for the next 5 or so years.

As long as they are abiding to the same salary cap as everyone else I don't see what the issue is here?

Other teams have also done this over the years.

It's where the talks of COLA being re-introduced is where the problem starts.

No it isn't.

No it isn't.

Hilarious, having 4 teams with a different salary cap to the rest of the league doesn't further compromise things at all 🙃

If cost of living is the excuse, then apply it pro rata to all the states and not just 2.

Hilarious, having 4 teams with a different salary cap to the rest of the league doesn't further compromise things at all 🙃

If cost of living is the excuse, then apply it pro rata to all the states and not just 2.

Do you realise it already exists in contracts? The proposal is around the soft cap. How many coaches do you have living in camper vans?

Do you realise it already exists in contracts? The proposal is around the soft cap. How many coaches do you have living in camper vans?
No rich supporters around who can put them up in a house?

Club can't afford to buy houses as staff accommodation and put them up there??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha what?
I mean, why can't the clubs simply have anyone requiring accommodation live in properties they own/rent?

Back when I worked in hospitality, this was regular practice for resort staff.

An AFL club, that brings in far more revenue, apparently doesn't have it as an option?

Fair enough. Not every team has large tracts of scrub on sale for a song, yet only a few years away from being rezoned into prime suburban real estate.

Gotta do what you've gotta do.

Can't all be running HJ's franchises, or "investing" in real estate, sometimes players just need to roll their sleeves up and make a mandatory appearance at a club sponsors event for a large appearance fee.

I mean, why can't the clubs simply have anyone requiring accommodation live in properties they own/rent?

Back when I worked in hospitality, this was regular practice for resort staff.

An AFL club, that brings in far more revenue, apparently doesn't have it as an option?

What option? You're suggesting the Swans buy up a ton of property for their coaches?

Did you also moan when Geelong kept their core together with their stars re-signing for less money?
Hawkins famously plays for a lot less than he'd be worth on the open market, and has done so for a long time.

Then there's Dusty turning down North's monster offer back in the day. Players accepting less cash to play for the team currently sitting on top of the ladder shouldn't really be a surprise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney retaining star players for less money than other rivals. Good culture or salary cap cheating?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back