2nds Sydney Swans Ressies 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

A little off topic, I read an article in the sun this morning about Kirk and his son joining some new junior development scheme where talented kids as young as 9 will be part of the club, this sounds interesting for future development and zoning, Im surprised no talk of it on our board and I dont know how to do a link.

I think the link will need to be from the print media sites which come up about midnight.

Or our website which clearly did not put anything up today.

How would supporting a full reserves team be any different to now Liz. We still need to play the ressies and we probably would benefit from being able to play our full list without restriction. Not so many toppies and could focus on our scholarship and academy talent as supp players.

All in a better comp?

I just think that in a better comp, the club couldn't get away with playing as many 16 and 17 year olds as they had to last year. Hell, we didn't really get away with it last year given how many games we lost. Even as the scholarship kids (and then the academy kids) mature so that we have more to pick from, many of them won't be physically ready at that age. And for half the season, the best underage players are away on U18 duties. Most of the players who participated as top-ups won't even get close to representing their state at U18 level, let alone have a dream of ever getting drafted.

Last year's injury toll was particularly bad, and in years gone by (and possibly again this year) listed Swans players were having to sit out games because there were too many of them. But I reckon you have to allow for injury seasons like last because they will happen every few years.

Even in a good comp, you could probably get away with 3 or 4 of that age. Because you're not dipping too far into the talent pool, they will tend to be the better players, and they will have sufficient listed players around them to take most of the physical heat. Last year got ridiculous. We generally had 2 or 3 fit ruckmen, a couple of forwards and enough to start in the centre square. The whole of the defence was often made up from top up players. Watching a 6 ft nothing 17 year old trying to play key defence against some of the better Canberra forwards was just painful at times.

I just think that in a better comp, the club couldn't get away with playing as many 16 and 17 year olds as they had to last year. Hell, we didn't really get away with it last year given how many games we lost. Even as the scholarship kids (and then the academy kids) mature so that we have more to pick from, many of them won't be physically ready at that age. And for half the season, the best underage players are away on U18 duties. Most of the players who participated as top-ups won't even get close to representing their state at U18 level, let alone have a dream of ever getting drafted.

Last year's injury toll was particularly bad, and in years gone by (and possibly again this year) listed Swans players were having to sit out games because there were too many of them. But I reckon you have to allow for injury seasons like last because they will happen every few years.

Even in a good comp, you could probably get away with 3 or 4 of that age. Because you're not dipping too far into the talent pool, they will tend to be the better players, and they will have sufficient listed players around them to take most of the physical heat. Last year got ridiculous. We generally had 2 or 3 fit ruckmen, a couple of forwards and enough to start in the centre square. The whole of the defence was often made up from top up players. Watching a 6 ft nothing 17 year old trying to play key defence against some of the better Canberra forwards was just painful at times.

And so it will be in any ressies comp Liz.

Injurys hurt the talent pool no doubt further down and while I appreciate the sentiments, I certainly wouldn't like to see a 17 year old play KP against men either usually, it will happen to the other clubs too.

It's about developing the best option for our young players and we should be able to talk supplementary players who are adults as well for this competition as well as talented 17 year olds through running roles.

Sure we could lose a few games badly but it's better than winning cheaply against Tuggerenong TBH.

Does anyone know about practice games?

The ressies season does not start to 10 of April and for the sake of the main side i'd certainly like to hear by that stage the guys out of the senior side are playing some practice match somewhere to make sure their juices and form a flowing, id hate to have a few injuries in round 2 and the guys replacing them coming into the side match cold.
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/Season2009/SwansReserves/ReservesFixture/tabid/11595/Default.aspx

It looks like the reserves have arranged 2 'pre-season' games

* The curtain raiser to the Saints game will be the reserves against the reigning Sydney AFL premiers the East Coast Eagles
* The following week, the reserves are playing the AIS/AFL Academy at a yet to be disclosed location. Micky O is one of their assistant coaches!

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/Season2009/SwansReserves/ReservesFixture/tabid/11595/Default.aspx

It looks like the reserves have arranged 2 'pre-season' games

* The curtain raiser to the Saints game will be the reserves against the reigning Sydney AFL premiers the East Coast Eagles
* The following week, the reserves are playing the AIS/AFL Academy at a yet to be disclosed location. Micky O is one of their assistant coaches!

Excellent news Grim, thank you.

Micky O coaching the AIS acadamy... the Western Sydney Draft picks in other words..

So the ressies are playing before the saints game?
Well the site says SUNDAY 27th March 3.50pm at ANZ. BUT 27 is a Saturday and the time and venue would suggest it will be the curtain raiser to the Saints game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been talking Barlow up all pre-season and the best he can manage is losing his shirt and scrubbing a few kicks. Don't do this to me Ed.:mad:

Definitely got the biggest cheer all game when it came off. He had a lot of it but ended up with plenty of clangers. Hanners was by far the best of the lot. He has a calming demeanour about him. Never panics always uses the ball well and looked very fit by running to all parts of the ground. Rohan didn't get much of it but when he did, he made you sit up and take notice. He is an EXCITEMENT machine. Bevo was prety quiet in the halfthat he did play. If anything he seemed a little despondent. However chased down one guy and had two gimmes as a result of ill discipline by the eagles. Smith a solid game playing in the midfield but I can't see him forcing his way in

vesz tried hard in the first half but looked rusty. Had more impact as a forward in the last quarter. A few more weeks of match practice and he'll be right to go

I've been talking Barlow up all pre-season and the best he can manage is losing his shirt and scrubbing a few kicks. Don't do this to me Ed.:mad:

He's allowed to scrub a few kicks, it's early in the season. The most important thing is that he was involved, which according to the reports, he definitely was. That's all I want to see, him stepping up and taking command. That's his main weakness. The odd scrubbed kick is fine.

He's allowed to scrub a few kicks, it's early in the season. The most important thing is that he was involved, which according to the reports, he definitely was. That's all I want to see, him stepping up and taking command. That's his main weakness. The odd scrubbed kick is fine.

I agree to a degree it's good to see him getting his hands on the ball. By far Barlow's greatest strength is his skills.

For Barlow to break into the team he needs to be using the ball well at pace, getting the ball is his his battle.

Playing against a local Sydney side is a long way of the AFL standard that getting the ball is great but Roos needs to know he is playing at his peak. The players need to look exceptional against such opposition nor just good or looking ok.

He's not going to be able to get his hands on at as easily at the next level so Roos needs to know that when he does he will be doing something with it to make an impact on an AFL game.

I wish the people on twitter would give us a bit more feel for that kind of thing, who's playing well in the engine room. Dan Currie's smashing the ruck or some biog guy from the East Coast side held him to account. who was playing well in the back line or who's man was getting the better of him. They really only seem to say who was involved in the final act of a scoring play. They could do that at the breaks.

Thanks for the twitter feedback. I found it hard to keep updatingthe scores before play resumed. If you prefer more general comments and the goals at the breaks I should be able to do that

Also like to give a mention to McKaigue. For his first real competitive hitout he was far from disgraced. Has real pace not afraid to attack the ball and from what I could see his kick is okay. Certainly better than miurphy or pyke in their first games

I was really proud of the efforts from the ressies today
I mean they were against a weaker team but the signs shown we have some exciting kids coming through the blocks

Was bummed not to see Byron Sumner out there would have loved 2 see what he had 2 offer

Barlows shirt off was the highlight

I agree with all Grims comments Hanners was the best and Nippa Gordon was awesome over head until hurt fingers crossed it was just a bad corking

Beavn bored me 2 tears

Vesz i cant get over how SOILD he is hes a unit hes gonna smash some bones when he makes seniors was much better up forward today kicking a few goals but hes is being groomed to be a midfielder hes burst through the middle and shaking tackles are out standing if he keeps his fitness up and this level of skill he'll probs play a few weeks after the ressies begin their proper season

CURRIE...go baby go i know u can do it

I thought it was a pretty lacklustre affair and many of the guys looked very rusty. Despite a few bad errors, I'd have Barlow as my best because his intensity was good all game and he got an absolute heap of it.

MOD was also very busy, ran hard and used it pretty well, though nothing too spectacular.

Not quite as gung-ho on Hanners as some others. He was at his best reading the ball off the hand of the ruckmen, especially at centre bounces. He got several clean as a whistle take-aways as a result. He was also very classy picking the ball off the ground while in motion. The beef I had with his game was that half a dozen kicks - under little or no pressure - went straight to the opposition. He can - and will - do much better but I don't think it was such a complete performance that it screams "pick me next week".

Vez looked particularly rusty, with most of his kicks missing their mark. Not sold on him as a backman at all but looked dangerous playing in the forward line in the final quarter. He can - and will - get better once he gets a bit more footy under his belt.

I thought it was a pretty lacklustre affair and many of the guys looked very rusty. Despite a few bad errors, I'd have Barlow as my best because his intensity was good all game and he got an absolute heap of it.

MOD was also very busy, ran hard and used it pretty well, though nothing too spectacular.

Not quite as gung-ho on Hanners as some others. He was at his best reading the ball off the hand of the ruckmen, especially at centre bounces. He got several clean as a whistle take-aways as a result. He was also very classy picking the ball off the ground while in motion. The beef I had with his game was that half a dozen kicks - under little or no pressure - went straight to the opposition. He can - and will - do much better but I don't think it was such a complete performance that it screams "pick me next week".

Vez looked particularly rusty, with most of his kicks missing their mark. Not sold on him as a backman at all but looked dangerous playing in the forward line in the final quarter. He can - and will - get better once he gets a bit more footy under his belt.
Agree with most of what you say.
On MOD,though I get the feeling he could really light it up at anytime & take that comp apart.He looks like he needs to be c hallenged in developing another side to his game to cement a senior spot on a more permanent basis.He was noticably more vocal today than in the past,so maybe thats a part of his game thats been identified.
Ed was filthy a few times in the 2nd half at Hanners for not spotting him (& others) up with passes, instead choosing to hold on and had to then try to force his way through when they coralled him.Apart from that he was most prominent along with Henry, whose hands looked clean in the contests(could've done with some of that in the 1s).His body strength showed out i that League to as they struggled to get someone who could go with him.
What stood out for me was the bigger bodied guys (Pyke/Curie etc)had a day out as the game wore on .
Rohan is a kamkaze & I liked some of what Nathan Gordon did esp. his attack on the ball & his efforts to clean up when his misdirected some of his kicks.Dylan Mcneil & Mckaigue as well showed glimpses

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Sydney Swans Ressies 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back