AFLW Autopsy Sydney Swans vs Collingwood Friday 30th Aug Nth Sydney Oval @7:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

To my eye (live) it didn’t look especially late. But haven’t watched endless slomo replays (yet).

The AFL.com.au reckons Frederick edged Morphett. I thought they were both highly influential for their sides. Frederick lumbers around in a way that suggests she’ll be exhausted by half time but she keeps covering the ground and getting to the right spots. But I was relieved to see Morphett looking fit and trim out there. There were a few times she threw the ball on the boot mindlessly when it was always going to be smothered. But when she could create some space she reminded us of how effortlessly she can kick a long punt.

No, the average was poor. The woman was good.
Umps were diabolical.
Felt like we couldn't take a mark all night and every bounce went straight to a Magpie.

But we came good in the 3rd after the umps git reamed at half-time.

That 2nd hit on Chloe should have been a 50

Umps were diabolical.

Yeah, I thought that one was worse than the one on Collier. At least the lack of a 50m penalty proved to be inconsequential.

There was one free paid to the Pies very near the end of the third quarter (I think) where the Collingwood player literally pushed it over the boundary line. Hurley looked as confused as I felt.

Umps were diabolical.
Felt like we couldn't take a mark all night and every bounce went straight to a Magpie.

But we came good in the 3rd after the umps git reamed at half-time.

Agree about Chloe's hit. Pretty sure the Pies decided to try to bully us. Was really pleased we stood up. Wasted their time.

Agree about Chloe's hit. Pretty sure the Pies decided to try to bully us. Was really pleased we stood up. Wasted their time.

I was furious with the hit on Moy but apparently it was a head clash and all innocent. Just looked like the Pies player arrived later and floored her when I saw it live.

I was furious with the hit on Moy but apparently it was a head clash and all innocent. Just looked like the Pies player arrived later and floored her when I saw it live.

What it looked like to me. Late and high.
Have literally just watched the replay. It was an accidental head clash, but she was defs going all in but it worked against her.

The one on Collier will get weeks if it is consistent with the mens. The only questions is do they down scale the length because of the shorter season? Would be 3-4 in Mens imo so does that make it 1-2 in the womens?

Have literally just watched the replay. It was an accidental head clash, but she was defs going all in but it worked against her.
But surely it was still a bump. I can’t be certain because the cameras were lingering on the action up the ground, but pretty sure that was a kick to Molloy and hence a mark. The Pies player then bumped her after she’d taken the mark. No, it wasn’t intentional but very few reportable incidents are actually intentional (and even fewer malicious). But it was still technically a bump and head clashes count as high contact.

She’ll be somewhat saved by the fact Molloy wasn’t concussed.

#CheerThis
YoxgnDPk.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I enjoyed Scott's comments:
Pressure fanatic - elite in 3rd quarter "off the charts" - "never out of the game"
game basic - "when ball in front half "keep it in front half" "protect it"
It's a great victory when you beat an inaugural side (Collingwood have had 9 seasons)
"we're an outside running team" "if you are going to play us bring your runners"
"proud of Lucy's pre-season" can play down back, wing and forward"
Ally worked hard in gym, changed her diet - "just had to get her fit again"
Collier "still has a bit of a headache" :(
Woodward might be back next week - so full squad (exception Collier)
Chloe bruised ribs

AFLW full post-match, WK1: Swans​

Watch Sydney's press conference after week one’s match against Collingwood

Last edited:
Feisty game indeed !
Great way to start the season with 4 points.
Going to be a tough season & harder each week but the girls look up to it!

Top of both men’s & women’s ladders? Don’t mind if I do !!

The game seemed to follow a similar pattern to how the men have won many of their games this year. That burst in the third was just devastating.

BoG was McEvoy. She's such a smart and composed player. I don't think she is necessarily the fastest but just seems to have all the time in the world and has such a good kick. Gardiner racked them up and just gets the grunt work done. Moy played a Chad like game with a few silky moments. Beruldsen looks like an upgrade on Newman - just as fast but a better kick. All our newbies did good things and I think our depth just looks better this year.

However, with our draw looking much harder this year, we will need to play at a high level for longer then last night. Frederick and Bonnici dominated at times, especially in the second and if the Pies had kicked straighter, they most probably would've won. Our defenders also got sucked into the contest at times, leaving unmarked opponents our the back.

All up, a good win, still plenty to work on, but also plenty of positives.

The game seemed to follow a similar pattern to how the men have won many of their games this year. That burst in the third was just devastating.

BoG was McEvoy. She's such a smart and composed player. I don't think she is necessarily the fastest but just seems to have all the time in the world and has such a good kick. Gardiner racked them up and just gets the grunt work done. Moy played a Chad like game with a few silky moments. Beruldsen looks like an upgrade on Newman - just as fast but a better kick. All our newbies did good things and I think our depth just looks better this year.

However, with our draw looking much harder this year, we will need to play at a high level for longer then last night. Frederick and Bonnici dominated at times, especially in the second and if the Pies had kicked straighter, they most probably would've won. Our defenders also got sucked into the contest at times, leaving unmarked opponents our the back.

All up, a good win, still plenty to work on, but also plenty of positives.
Tbf i think both the mens and the womens sides play a very run based game. Very exciting to watch and was it the second or third goal they kicked from the kickin that i thought holy cow Scotty has really got something that if perfected is near on impossible to stop.

But surely it was still a bump. I can’t be certain because the cameras were lingering on the action up the ground, but pretty sure that was a kick to Molloy and hence a mark. The Pies player then bumped her after she’d taken the mark. No, it wasn’t intentional but very few reportable incidents are actually intentional (and even fewer malicious). But it was still technically a bump and head clashes count as high contact.

She’ll be somewhat saved by the fact Molloy wasn’t concussed.
Oh I agree with you, Liz. The bump was late as far as I could tell and it should still be looked at, it probs won't be because the Magpie player came out of it the worst.

Tbf i think both the mens and the womens sides play a very run based game. Very exciting to watch and was it the second or third goal they kicked from the kickin that i thought holy cow Scotty has really got something that if perfected is near on impossible to stop.
Run, fitness and skill.

One of the post match interviews - Morphett I think - observed that Gowans’s half time message was that the Pies wouldn’t be able to keep up with them for the whole match if they just kept running. That’s what the third quarter was about.

And while I didn’t think the team’s field kicking was especially good last night, the set shot kicking was excellent. One can say that if the Pies had kicked straighter they’d have won - which is obviously true - but you can also point to just how good our forwards have become in their set shot conversion. That’s not just based on this game. Against the Giants in the scratch match a few weeks ago, pretty much every set shot was converted with seeming ease.

In addition to the goals we kicked, we also had two more bang on target that were only prevented by the expert positioning of Frederick.

I’m excited to see what Beruldsen and Grunden add to the forward line. Grunden had a few good moments and a few that suggested she was making her debut. I suspect she’ll adjust quite quickly. And it’s easy to forget that Beruldsen is still very inexperienced at this level.

I also hope we will see even more from Morphett once the cobwebs are fully shaken off.

On the negative (kinda) side, I’m not impressed by Heads’s decision to become a brunette this year. Watching live, I thought Tarant had had a blinder with her marking in defence. She did have a pretty good game, but when I watched the replay on TV I realised that the marks I attributed to Tarrant were a mix of her, Heads and Kennedy.

Last edited:
Run, fitness and skill.

One of the post match interviews - Morphett I think - observed that Gowans’s half time message was that the Pies wouldn’t be able to keep up with them for the whole match if they just kept running. That’s what the third quarter was about.

And while I didn’t think the team’s field kick was especially good last night, the set shot kicking was excellent. One can say that if the Pies had kicked straighter they’d have won - which is obviously true - you can also point to just how good our forwards have become in their set shot conversion. That’s not just based on this game. Against the Giants in the scratch match a few weeks ago, pretty much every set shot was converted with seeming ease.

In addition to the goals we kicked, we also had two more bang on target that were only prevented by the expert positioning of Frederick.

I’m excited to see what Beruldsen and Grunden add to the forward line. Grunden had a few good moments and a few that suggested she was making her debut. I suspect she’ll adjust quite quickly. And it’s easy to forget that Beruldsen is still very inexperienced at this level.

I also hope we will see even more from Morphett once the cobwebs are fully shaken off.

On the negative (kinda) side, I’m not impressed by Heads’s decision to become a brunette this year. Watching live, I thought Tarant had had a blinder with her marking in defence. She did have a pretty good game, but when I watched the replay on TV I realised that the marks I attributed to Tarrant were a mix of her, Heads and Kennedy.
Idk if Heads was a Molloy or Hurley fan but man those three are very hard to tell the difference on. Thought i would have liked a POD in the midfield with the height of Ham because man didn't she look good around the ground stoppages and being able to provide a run out of the front of stoppages

Idk if Heads was a Molloy or Hurley fan but man those three are very hard to tell the difference on. Thought i would have liked a POD in the midfield with the height of Ham because man didn't she look good around the ground stoppages and being able to provide a run out of the front of stoppages
I don’t have too much trouble picking out Molloy or Hurley. Hurley is a bit shorter and has a distinctive running style. Molloy moves a bit differently to most of the rest of the team, though when she was at the furthest end of the ground I didn’t always pick it was her (eg doing some kick ins). Kennedy is easy to pick up when she’s close enough (body art) and I can also pick her running style out. But intercept marking at the furthest end of the ground by brunette ponytails … thank goodness for Mitchell’s touch of blonde.

I don’t have too much trouble picking out Molloy or Hurley. Hurley is a bit shorter and has a distinctive running style. Molloy moves a bit differently to most of the rest of the team, though when she was at the furthest end of the ground I didn’t always pick it was her (eg doing some kick ins). Kennedy is easy to pick up when she’s close enough (body art) and I can also pick her running style out. But intercept marking at the furthest end of the ground by brunette ponytails … thank goodness for Mitchell’s touch of blonde.
Yep i more so meant on the kick outs i was like which one are you when they like aren't running. Kennedy is easy to pick out because of the tattoos just would like to probably see her maybe as an annoying defender rather than midfielder as i think that Ham will just be more beneficial in the midfield than on the wing

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Autopsy Sydney Swans vs Collingwood Friday 30th Aug Nth Sydney Oval @7:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back