AFLW Autopsy Sydney Swans vs Collingwood Friday 30th Aug Nth Sydney Oval @7:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Umps were diabolical.
Felt like we couldn't take a mark all night and every bounce went straight to a Magpie.

But we came good in the 3rd after the umps git reamed at half-time.

That 2nd hit on Chloe should have been a 50
Even if the specific incident with Chloe wasn’t a 50, the fact that two Magpies player tackled another player to the ground well after the umpire had blown the whistle should have made it 50 anyway.

Even if the specific incident with Chloe wasn’t a 50, the fact that two Magpies player tackled another player to the ground well after the umpire had blown the whistle should have made it 50 anyway.
Ump #9 was truly diabolical. Not just incompetent but genuinely biased.
Chloe marked the ball and was barrelled well after - he called play on! Luckily #12 had already called the downfield free but yes, it should have been another 50.

Ump #9 was truly diabolical. Not just incompetent but genuinely biased.
Chloe marked the ball and was barrelled well after - he called play on! Luckily #12 had already called the downfield free but yes, it should have been another 50.
I don't think the downfield free from the bump on Collier directly intersected with the decision on the Molloy "contest". A Collingwood player marked the ball from Collier's kick just on our forward 50m line. That ball was then awarded to Hamilton (the downfield free) and it her kick that Molloy marked. It's all a bit of a blur from watching it live because of the spot fires already breaking out. I was pretty sure Molloy had marked the ball and was confused by the audible "play on call" from the umpire. I guess it's possible that the ball was touched in flight but Molloy certainly shaped as if she were marking the ball, not as though she were gathering it and needing to play on.

It's even less clear on the TV coverage because the kick to Molloy isn't shown.

I don't think the downfield free from the bump on Collier directly intersected with the decision on the Molloy "contest". A Collingwood player marked the ball from Collier's kick just on our forward 50m line. That ball was then awarded to Hamilton (the downfield free) and it her kick that Molloy marked. It's all a bit of a blur from watching it live because of the spot fires already breaking out. I was pretty sure Molloy had marked the ball and was confused by the audible "play on call" from the umpire. I guess it's possible that the ball was touched in flight but Molloy certainly shaped as if she were marking the ball, not as though she were gathering it and needing to play on.

It's even less clear on the TV coverage because the kick to Molloy isn't shown.
I was watching it live and had to rely on the replay. #12 definitely called the downfield free, overruled #9 who had called play on when Molloy ended up catching the ball but ..... giant clusterf.

To my eye (live) it didn’t look especially late. But haven’t watched endless slomo replays (yet).

The AFL.com.au reckons Frederick edged Morphett. I thought they were both highly influential for their sides. Frederick lumbers around in a way that suggests she’ll be exhausted by half time but she keeps covering the ground and getting to the right spots. But I was relieved to see Morphett looking fit and trim out there. There were a few times she threw the ball on the boot mindlessly when it was always going to be smothered. But when she could create some space she reminded us of how effortlessly she can kick a long punt.
I thought Frederick was sensational. I thought she won the hitouts as well as being a great marking option in defence.

Talking about looking lumbering and unfit and I was reminded of Southport's ruckman (Brayden Crossley) who looks the same but just keeps going.

I was watching it live and had to rely on the replay. #12 definitely called the downfield free, overruled #9 who had called play on when Molloy ended up catching the ball but ..... giant clusterf.
But Molloy didn’t mark the ball from Collier’s kick. She marked it from Hamilton’s kick, after Hamilton was awarded the down the field free.

On the negative (kinda) side, I’m not impressed by Heads’s decision to become a brunette this year. Watching live, I thought Tarant had had a blinder with her marking in defence. She did have a pretty good game, but when I watched the replay on TV I realised that the marks I attributed to Tarrant were a mix of her, Heads and Kennedy.

So that's what was different about her. I kept thinking she was Hurley until I saw her number.

Having a little wander in Instagram this arvo I was kinda sickened (though not surprised) by some of the feral reactions from posters I assume are Pies fans to the sequence of late hits and the subsequent rumble last night. Reminds me never to visit their forum. Nasty and deluded.

Having a little wander in Instagram this arvo I was kinda sickened (though not surprised) by some of the feral reactions from posters I assume are Pies fans to the sequence of late hits and the subsequent rumble last night. Reminds me never to visit their forum. Nasty and deluded.
Do the womens get all their MRO rulings on the Monday because surely half the side gets the "involved with a melee" charge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might post more if I get around to watching the replay but one thing that struck me is how much we were moving players around between different positions. I was less surprised with McEvoy but I was surprised when I saw Molloy in defence. And players kept turning up at centre bounce and on the wing that I expected.

I thought Hillier had a great debut and so did Grunden, and Bullas had a good first game for our club.

Overall our team had a more even performance and I thought that was one of the differences between us and the Pies who had some stars and some anonymous, making-up-the-numbers types.

Great first result and we'll have our work cut out this week against the Saints.

I might post more if I get around to watching the replay but one thing that struck me is how much we were moving players around between different positions. I was less surprised with McEvoy but I was surprised when I saw Molloy in defence. And players kept turning up at centre bounce and on the wing that I expected.

I thought Hillier had a great debut and so did Grunden, and Bullas had a good first game for our club.

Overall our team had a more even performance and I thought that was one of the differences between us and the Pies who had some stars and some anonymous, making-up-the-numbers types.

Great first result and we'll have our work cut out this week against the Saints.
Hillier looked really sharp running the ball out. Mitchell was better than last year, looks to be more mobile. Kennedy spent more time in defence instead of in the midfield. Davies was a fair back up ruck but Frederick was dominant.
Neither Morphett nor Ham looked 100% to my eye despite what Gowans said.
McEvoy definitely our best.
Our handling under pressure was a bit suspect but we looked great when we got it right.

Tarni White looking at a 3 game suspension and Molloy a fine for striking Atkinson, probably also some melee fines im guessing. My guess was wrong no melee fines which bewilders me

Last edited:
I'm a bit bewildered how Atkinson avoided even a fine for her bump on Molloy. Maybe she was granted a "she's Irish and playing her first game" get out clause.

All players seem to have avoided fines for the melee. At least, none is listed.

I'm a bit bewildered how Atkinson avoided even a fine for her bump on Molloy. Maybe she was granted a "she's Irish and playing her first game" get out clause.

All players seem to have avoided fines for the melee. At least, none is listed.
How did they avoid a melee when you could probably count on your hand the players from both sides that didn't get involved in the melees.

Just finished watching the game. Although I spent a very good portion of the first quarter wondering who the heck our new recruit doing a lot of the kick-ins was, only to learn Ella Heads is now a brunette!

I thought our skills looked improved. We absorbed so many repeat entries in that 2nd(?) quarter and even though the scoreboard suggested the Pies' wastefulness kept the door open, it felt like a lot of their opportunities were low-percentage ones to me due to our pressure and defence. Once we got it back on our terms it was so good that we were able to take advantage of it and put it on the scoreboard. That run in the third was blistering footy.

Hillier impressed me on debut, I thought she looked solid and gutsy in a few key moments. Ham looks ready to take that next step in her game. Stronger, fitter, faster. McEvoy getting sneaky goals is always enjoyable and Privitelli looked the most dangerous she's looked since the earlier games last season for mine. And Tarrant is so ****ing impressive always.

Just finished watching the game. Although I spent a very good portion of the first quarter wondering who the heck our new recruit doing a lot of the kick-ins was, only to learn Ella Heads is now a brunette!

I thought our skills looked improved. We absorbed so many repeat entries in that 2nd(?) quarter and even though the scoreboard suggested the Pies' wastefulness kept the door open, it felt like a lot of their opportunities were low-percentage ones to me due to our pressure and defence. Once we got it back on our terms it was so good that we were able to take advantage of it and put it on the scoreboard. That run in the third was blistering footy.

Hillier impressed me on debut, I thought she looked solid and gutsy in a few key moments. Ham looks ready to take that next step in her game. Stronger, fitter, faster. McEvoy getting sneaky goals is always enjoyable and Privitelli looked the most dangerous she's looked since the earlier games last season for mine. And Tarrant is so ****ing impressive always.
Maybe im being greedy but i just want to see Ham given full midfield time. Feels like she can get isolated on the wing too much especially because there is far less switching in the womens game.

17:58 mins
Lucy McEvoy +

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Autopsy Sydney Swans vs Collingwood Friday 30th Aug Nth Sydney Oval @7:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back