AFL Grand Final Sydney vs Brisbane. Chad vs Neale. 2024 AFL Grand Final Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not like it was a massive reach. One club was trending downhill and one trending uphill.

Nah, Freo and Brisbane were in similar positions in 2018. In fact Brisbane had finished in the bottom 4 I think 5 years in a row at that point. They were a genuine basketcase, as were we, probably even moreso then we were.

What Fagan has been able to do to turn that club around has been remarkable. We should be taking notes.

The thing that really burns me is not even the academy picks and father sons, its all the ex-hawks staff and players and all the non-Queenslanders who just up and left for Brisbane because it's a laid back place and 'oh Brisbane have been bad for a while lets all try win one with Brisbane' - nothing remotely like that would ever happen to Freo, we have to negotiate for years behind the scenes then seemingly overpay if we wan't to dislodge players to come here.

Nah, Freo and Brisbane were in similar positions in 2018. In fact Brisbane had finished in the bottom 4 I think 5 years in a row at that point. They were a genuine basketcase, as were we, probably even moreso then we were.

What Fagan has been able to do to turn that club around has been remarkable. We should be taking notes.
Brisbane that year had 5 losses by under a goal. We had none. They were closer to Hawthorn last year. Bottom 5 side but everyone could see they were trending up.

Fagan has done well, there's no question about it. But he also never had to do a full rebuild and instead was able to get every player they needed through trade ready to go. Without even paying much for most of them. And as mentioned above, had a lot of the ex-Hawks guys come and help him fix up Brisbane.

Surprisingly not, I'm actually hoping he gets Norm. This is a surprise because I am not above being petty, although I am much less so lately.
Yeah I’m the same. He wouldn’t have moved the needle with us given the rest of the list profile. So… meh.

Oh well can’t deny Neale made the right call as much as it sucks. He got clear air in a midfield that allowed him to win 2 Brownlows, and played finals every one of the six years he’s been there and eventually got the ultimate, while his former club was and still is nowhere near it.

Also Fagan and some of the other Brisbane blokes deserve it. 6 years of pushing and getting close without a single down year. He’s a great coach.

The thing that really burns me is not even the academy picks and father sons, its all the ex-hawks staff and players and all the non-Queenslanders who just up and left for Brisbane because it's a laid back place and 'oh Brisbane have been bad for a while lets all try win one with Brisbane' - nothing remotely like that would ever happen to Freo, we have to negotiate for years behind the scenes then seemingly overpay if we wan't to dislodge players to come here.
Took a gamble on Daniher.
Got his body right. Ah Chee as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh well can’t deny Neale made the right call as much as it sucks. He got clear air in a midfield that allowed him to win 2 Brownlows, and played finals every one of the six years he’s been there and eventually got the ultimate, while his former club was and still is nowhere near it.

Also Fagan and some of the other Brisbane blokes deserve it. 6 years of pushing and getting close without a single down year. He’s a great coach.
I think from his first year out it was obvious that he'd made the right call for himself. Doesn't make it sting any less though.

So for those that were happy Lachie won

Neale 2 Brownlows and 1 premiership
Fyfe 2 Brownlows and 0 premierships

Makes me feel sick
Fyfe's peak will always be better and it's not even close. Fyfe's career is still a massive "what if" which is weird to say about a 2x MVP 2x Brownlow medallist. But Lachie got lucky with injuries where Fyfe didn't.

Fyfe's peak will always be better and it's not even close. Fyfe's career is still a massive "what if" which is weird to say about a 2x MVP 2x Brownlow medallist. But Lachie got lucky with injuries where Fyfe didn't.
Luckier club too.
Fyfe in 2015- 24 years old. Hasn't played finals since.

Luckier club too.
Fyfe in 2015- 24 years old. Hasn't played finals since.
That's what loyalty gets you. Fyfe spent what should have been his prime rebuilding and trying to help his team where Neale decided to **** off and move on. Both valid choices, but it really sucks for someone like Fyfe to choose the more noble route and have it fail.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final Sydney vs Brisbane. Chad vs Neale. 2024 AFL Grand Final Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back