Preview Sydney vs GWS - Who are the 5 most hated players in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep!
I will be putting a few dollars on GWS for this one.

Day game. Tick.
Sat arvo. Tick.
SCG. Tick.
Bottom 8 team. Tick.
GWS with Toby Green. Tick.
Trying to win 4 in a row. Tick.
Media are loving us ATM. Tick.
David King has us as his second rated team. TICK!

That is 8 ticks which point to another disappointing loss against this mob. I have no confidence.
No confidence? Neither do I and let’s not pretend it’s without reason.

Yep!

Day game. Tick.
Sat arvo. Tick.
SCG. Tick.
Bottom 8 team. Tick.

That is 8 ticks which point to another disappointing loss against this mob. I have no confidence.

That's the old Sydney. The new Sydney has got this. Big contrast with first half of the year - everyone's playing their role well. Guys like Warner and Papley are stars of the comp, the bottom end players like Stephens, Fox and Clarke making big contributions.

So Kennedy potential sub.

If the sub is unused does that definitely mean they cannot play the following week? I'm not sure what the media sub rules are.
There is no rule around it. You just barely see the same player be medi sub 2 weeks in a row cuz that generally means no footy for 2 weeks if its unused.

There is no rule around it. You just barely see the same player be medi sub 2 weeks in a row cuz that generally means no footy for 2 weeks if its unused.

Reserves after the seniors this week though so if the sub is unused they can play a full game in the ressies.

They literally put all their washed up players in, this will be a walk in the park.. It's not 2018/2019 any more, Whitfield, Kelly, Green (maybe confidence issue), Perryman, Cognilio are all completely washed up

They literally put all their washed up players in, this will be a walk in the park.. It's not 2018/2019 any more, Whitfield, Kelly, Green (maybe confidence issue), Perryman, Cognilio are all completely washed up
They are far from washed up. And they are very very capable of beating us.

Reserves after the seniors this week though so if the sub is unused they can play a full game in the ressies.
There's no rule on listing someone as an emergency, playing a full game in the reserves, then needing them to play in the firsts so there's no rule around playing after either. its just...2 games of footy in a row. thats why it never happens.

I
But if JPK was capable of being better than Rowbottom & Warner, Horse would've played him in the mids. I think he's shown with other selections this year that he will not just prioritise youth for the sake of prioritising youth. Seems to me like he obviously liked what they were offering more than JPK. So the question remains, why would it be any different now, when both are arguably performing better than they were at the start of the year?
I think Rowbottom and Warner are not playing the mid role Kennedy would fill. I think it was Kennedy up against Parker and Mills.

Maybe the coaches thought Kennedy was behind those two on form? Maybe they thought the difference was minor and clearly the other two are the future?

My personal view is that Parker is an outstanding second inside mid bull but just isn’t dominant enough to lead the midfield. I do wonder if for this year the team would have been stronger with Kennedy as inside bull and Parker as a second mid and also playing up the ground.

As you say though, the coaches are closer to the action and maybe Kennedy has fallen back more than I want to believe. I did though think he played well against Hawthorn, despite having lost some pace.

Either way, the exciting thing is that not having all three of Mills, Parker and Kennedy (far too slow) has really enabled Warner to shine and even Rowbottom in recent weeks. I’ll be excited in a year or two if a Stephens or Sheldrick could play inside and push Parker up the ground. That could look like a very dynamic midfield group, particularly if Mills can reach peak Kennedy bull status.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep!

Day game. Tick.
Sat arvo. Tick.
SCG. Tick.
Bottom 8 team. Tick.

Yep!
Ive put a few dollars on the Swans for this one.

Beat Geeolng. Tick
Beat Freo, beat Tigers, beat Melb, beat dogs etc. Tick
Beat GWS. Tick
Paps on fire. Tick
Warner on Fire. Tick
Paddy on fire. Tick
All three lines absolutely on fire. Tick
Media aren't talking about us ATM. tick
Twomey reckons we're shit. Tick
Thats 9 ticks which point to another disappointing performance from the opposition (media still won't credit us, instead they'll criticise them). Choked full of confidence.
Top 4 .. here we come

That's the old Sydney. The new Sydney has got this. Big contrast with first half of the year - everyone's playing their role well. Guys like Warner and Papley are stars of the comp, the bottom end players like Stephens, Fox and Clarke making big contributions.
Yep and considering we beat them in round 1 with no Warner or Papley, no reason for all the negativity.

Not a single game this year where Taranto, Whitfield, Cognilio or Kelly has even come close to dragging GWS over the line. They don't win contested ball any more lol

If GWS fielded a younger team, there would be more variance for a chance for upset. They're all known washed up quantities

I

I think Rowbottom and Warner are not playing the mid role Kennedy would fill. I think it was Kennedy up against Parker and Mills.

Maybe the coaches thought Kennedy was behind those two on form? Maybe they thought the difference was minor and clearly the other two are the future?

My personal view is that Parker is an outstanding second inside mid bull but just isn’t dominant enough to lead the midfield. I do wonder if for this year the team would have been stronger with Kennedy as inside bull and Parker as a second mid and also playing up the ground.

As you say though, the coaches are closer to the action and maybe Kennedy has fallen back more than I want to believe. I did though think he played well against Hawthorn, despite having lost some pace.

Either way, the exciting thing is that not having all three of Mills, Parker and Kennedy (far too slow) has really enabled Warner to shine and even Rowbottom in recent weeks. I’ll be excited in a year or two if a Stephens or Sheldrick could play inside and push Parker up the ground. That could look like a very dynamic midfield group, particularly if Mills can reach peak Kennedy bull status.
You might be right there. If I'm being honest, I think our midfield has looked best this year when only one of Parker and Mills are in there. And I've noticed Horse doesn't put them at the same centre bounces or stoppages much, despite them being our two most experienced and mature mids. I'm not sure either provide the energy that the two youngsters and Papley offer. So given they seem to be in competition for each other's rotations, that does suggest that JPK, who is another of their slower, big-bodied ilk, would've been more up against those two for midfield rotations than the two youngsters.

As for the next generation, I'm not writing the likes of Stephens, Sheldrick, Roberts etc off by any means. They all look promising and I'm confident they can make it. But I'm yet to see anything from them to suggest they will be better than who we already have in our midfield, which suggests their roles in the future could be more complementary rather than crucial. The one I am excited most about is Campbell. I am hopeful he'll be able to fill the role that Papley is currently playing, which will allow Papley to spend more time forward. What a luxury!

No confidence? Neither do I and let’s not pretend it’s without reason.
We should be fully confident but we dropped against Port, Essendon, Gold Coast. A 9.2 & 48 point first quarter lead turned into a a near 14 point lead but saved by a Blakey tackle.
Yep we can cough up dominant position like that.
Hence my lack of confidence.
So we should win this by 7 goals.

We cannot defend a forward 50 entry.
The crows scored 50% of the time they entered the 50.
That's the new Swans.

That's the new Swans.
Is that unusual though? I mean, I don't know what the average is in the AFL but we gave the Bulldogs nothing and they scored from 47% of their entries. Our defence was elite against Fremantle and they scored from 45% of theirs.

It wasn't at the levels of when we played Melbourne - they scored from just 31% of their entries - but I feel like it's not THAT bad to have a scoring concession rate in the 45-50% range.

Also worth remembering that our defensive screws probably weren't as tight in the three quarters against the Crows because of how ballistic we were in the first quarter. We were never gonna be able to sustain that kind of intensity for four quarters.

Last edited:
That's the new Swans.

Crows have been a mile better than GWS lately they did almost beat the Pies two weeks ago.

We should be fully confident but we dropped against Port, Essendon, Gold Coast. A 9.2 & 48 point first quarter lead turned into a a near 14 point lead but saved by a Blakey tackle.
Yep we can cough up dominant position like that.
Hence my lack of confidence.
So we should win this by 7 goals.
I feel the thing is however in comparison to those teams we should be beating and lost to and the giants, those sides like the dons, port, suns have shown far more growth and upside than the Giants.

Essendon were building nicely in the past month of footy prior to versing them the second time and we lost (shouldve been game over if we didnt kick 8 points in a row).

Port were ranked the best defence in the past 5 weeks prior to versing them and we lost.

Gold Coast had a few nice performances prior to versing us like beating a red hot Carlton and only going down by 2 kicks against the dees and we lost.

Then the Giants on the other hand comparing to those sides above have virtually shown not too much this year, only really a big win against the crows and having a close first half against the lions is the stuff to shout about.

Not saying this will be a walk in the park, but I am just stating that the teams we have lost to have shown upside and good numbers in comparison to the Giants. Of course also including their main players have been out of whack this year. Should be a cracking game, expecting them to turn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back