Sydney - worst list in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

celtic_pride said:
They may not have the worst list overall, but I think the Swans have the worst group of young players overall. I mean there isn't much there apart from Schinder etc.
Gloomy times ahead for the Swans I think.

Not quite. Essendon have the worst list of young players. Haven't heard anything good about any new players playing for essendon this year

celtic_pride said:
They may not have the worst list overall, but I think the Swans have the worst group of young players overall. I mean there isn't much there apart from Schinder etc.
Gloomy times ahead for the Swans I think.
If you don't friggin' know, don't go on about it. "I think" the Swans have the worst group. FFS if we haven't seen them, so have you been up in Canberra week after week? "Schinder", or Schneider, as the rest of the world know him, needs a lot of work. Has flair, has improved his endurance, but needs a little bit more ticker and to improve his disposal skills. Bevan had a good first season but has lost the plot, Dempster is good, Moore looks promising (will debut this week), and a couple of the rookies APPEAR good.

I would certainly like to see a few more kids get a game. I'd like Vogels to be promoted in lieu of doyle this year. I'd like Mathews cut. Maxfield and Ball will not be playing for the Swans next year, but I imagine that they'll keep Doyle given the ruck stocks are depleted. Blokes like Clarke, Campbell and Grundy will hopefully be brought on to the senior list.

Throw the house at NDS. And then some.

local said:
Not quite. Essendon have the worst list of young players. Haven't heard anything good about any new players playing for essendon this year

Kepler Bradley and Monfries look pretty damn good and better than anyone the Swans seem to have.
Or is it that Roos just doesn't play the young kids ?

gandaal said:
If you don't know who they are then what are you doing on an AFL discussion board?

Compared to the rest of the young batch of players coming through, unfortunately they just don't rate up there with the best.

I think they'll spend a fair while in the bottom 8 now, picking up draft picks and trying to bring through some decent young talent. Other than that, there's about 10 players who'll retire/leave in the next 2-3 years, so they are doomed for a small while, I think.

local said:
Compared to the rest of the young batch of players coming through, unfortunately they just don't rate up there with the best.
Kelper Bradley and Jason Laycock have both already had nominations for the Rising Star Award this year. Doesn't that by definition put them up there with the best? And Monfries was only drafted during the last national draft and he's already played three games. Not many youngster can say that.

gandaal said:
Kelper Bradley and Jason Laycock have both already had nominations for the Rising Star Award this year. Doesn't that by definition put them up there with the best? And Monfries was only drafted during the last national draft and he's already played three games. Not many youngster can say that.

Seaby and Staker both scored rising star nominations last season, and, to be honest, both have been pretty ordinary this season. So no, it does not, by definition, put them up with the best.... it just means that they were the best in the round they were nominated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minkus_Swan said:
That's one thing I don't understand about supporters of other clubs. Even WE haven't seen our young players, then how the HELL do you know about our list?The kids haven't even been given a chance to get a game!!! IIRC we've only had 3 debutants in the last 2 years (including this season) - that's shocking..

Tip for you... watch the selections tonight it will be 4 in the last two years.

The Swans are stuck in a bind firmly of their own making. It is true that they are in the most difficult market for AFL - Their philosophy appears to be that they simply cannot afford to miss the eight or their supporter base will disappear. The direct result of this philosophy is that they recruit for the short term more than the medium /long term.

They have 1 very good key forward in Barry Hall, no key defenders of note and a mediocre midfield. In short they've got it wrong - their short term recruiting is going to ensure they miss the 8 for a few seasons to come. If they want to win a flag they are going to have to rebuild and aim to make the 8 again in a few years with a side that can genuinely challenge for the top 4 and then a flag a few more years after that.

If they continue with their current philosophy then they will continue to struggle which won't be good for the Swans or for AFL in Sydney.

There are other clubs in a similar predicament but which do not have the excuse of operating in the difficult Sydney market. There is some irony in the fact that the 2 most financially successful Melbourne clubs have such woeful lists.

Balmey - with the assistance of Malthouse - has done to the Magguires what he did to the Dees. They traded pick 10 in the draft for a one paced midfielder in Woey when they desperately needed speed - pick ended up at Essendon who used it on the highly promising Laycock. They traded the speedster Damien Adkins who admittedly did struggle with injuries at the Pies for the truly inept Andrew Williams who generally struggles with a lack of ability - an affliction no physio or attitude improvement can fix.

Sheedy's time to go has surely come at Windy Hill. He was one of the great coaches and list managers. He is not anymore - Allan and Murphy anyone?. Essendon fans can thank their lucky stars that the incompetence of Hook and Schwab enabled them to trade Pick 6 for Danny Jacobs which produced Kepler Bradley and that the Magguires parted with pick 10 for Woey which gave them Laycock in exchange for Pick 14 and Heffernan. The Bombers at least have one past his peak but still good key defender in Fletcher and Bradley as his developing heir apparent but apart from Laycock and maybe Lovett and Monfries there is not much young talent about at Windy Hill. Hird is almost gone which leaves Fletcher, Lloyd, Lucas and Macphee as the Bombers best 4 - no wonder they have not got a midfield.

Any list with the names of Hall, Goodes, O'loughlin, Davis, Kennelly, Leo Barry Saddington , Kirk, Williams and so forth can not be that bad.

I believe we (Carlton) are close to the worst list it is just that our coach is getting the best from them. Unlike the Swans who do have probably one of the worst coaches which disappoints me to say as I admired Roos as a player

Roos is a much better coach than he is made out to be. I'm sure, despite not having the best list in the AFL (yes I will admit that), that we will end up much higher on the ladder than we are now. He'll squeeze the most out of our list, which is much harder to do when teams against us realise THEY need to slow US down and stop our fast rebounding defenders like Kennelly and Barry. Remember 2003 when we were one of the most exciting teams in the AFL? In 2004-05, the other teams realised this and decided to slow us down when playing against us. Unfortunately everyone sees it as our fault and blames us.

GoSydneySwans said:
Roos is a much better coach than he is made out to be. I'm sure, despite not having the best list in the AFL (yes I will admit that), that we will end up much higher on the ladder than we are now.

You hope, but time will tell. I think the Swans will find it very hard to climb much higher up the ladder this year.

Its a sad state of affairs when Roos said their best midfielder is someone who is 32 years old.

Other clubs have been able to recruit good midfielders from picks outside the top 20, yet Sydney havent.

Who are the key position defenders?

How old are O'Loughlin/Hall?

Do they have any skilful young midfielders besides J Bolton?

Macfart said:
. Unlike the Swans who do have probably one of the worst coaches which disappoints me to say as I admired Roos as a player

The Swans made the Prelim final in 2003 and Roos was voted coach of the year by the AFL Coaches Association.
In 2004 the Swans made the finals again winning against West Coast before losing their next final
How anyone can say he is one of the worst coaches is beyond me especially since most people think we have a crap list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney - worst list in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back