Analysis Sydney's 2024 dominance is underrated

Remove this Banner Ad

What about to a bottom 4 side? Imagine losing to them!
We’re still two games clear on top of the ladder. A percentage streets ahead of anyone else. Our three losses have been a whopping five points, one point and two points. I’ll sleep easy tonight.

Congrats on the win, you well deserved it. Would have been a travesty if we’d snagged it at the end.

Logan now got bigger yips than the Wiz !

Logan went back and did everything right today and it missed just. Annoying and yeah it is what it is.

But personally I think Papley the so called star should have nailed the shot before instead of putting it out of bounds from 30 out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the problem is not so much losing , but how we lost.

Plenty of reason as a fan to think they will be fine, plenty of reason as opposition to think well my side can get them!

But the players are playing like they read half this thread and believe the hype .

Saved a bit by GWS beating the blues , but undid some of work by dropping todays.

Last week didn't bother me as much (losing at home sucked) because Freo are a contender.

Longmire implemented a flood as early as 5 minutes in v StKilda.

Ross Lyon clearly outcoached him with key players missing.

If we lose a 4th grand final on the trot I am deleting my big footy account.
See Ya Goodbye GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

If we lose a 4th grand final on the trot I am deleting my big footy account.
Luckily you've only lost one in a row, so no need to delete it.

Hawthorn fans certainly wouldn't say that in 2008 that we had won four Grand Finals on the trot.

We all understand how Richmond is the only team to beat Sydney in 14 matches. That's fairly obvious. But what some people may not realise is that Richmond is also the only team to lead against Sydney at 3-quarter-time this year. Every team that lost to them was already trailing by 3-quarter time.

I just checked data from the last 20 years regarding this, and the only teams that match (or better) 2024 Sydney's W/L and 3QT record after 14 matches are 2009 St Kilda (14-0 W/L, 13/14 leading at 3QT) and 2011 Collingwood (13-1 W/L, 13/14 leading at 3QT). Even the West Coast of 2005 (13-1 W/L) and the Geelong of 2008 (13-1 W/L) trailed in at least 2 games.

Given that no team led at 3QT for all of their first 14 matches in the last 20 years, Sydney is currently matching it with the best.

What makes Sydney's current season stand out from the others is that they also have no one close to them. Both 2009 St Kilda and 2010 Collingwood had a 13-1 Geelong for company. Meanwhile, the closest team to Sydney right now is Carlton with a 10-4 W/L record. Even then, Carlton has led at 3QT 9/14 times this year.

Not saying that Sydney will end up winning the Premiership, but I feel like people are underappreciating just how dominant Longmire's current side is. The stats (e.g., percentage gap, the W/L record, the 3QT stat etc.) after 14 matches don't align like this very often. It'd be interesting to see how it all goes for the rest of the year.
Was this thread literally the marker of when Sydney’s season started to derail? I’m trying to recall, but I remember everything starting to go downhill literally a week later 😂

Was this thread literally the marker of when Sydney’s season started to derail? I’m trying to recall, but I remember everything starting to go downhill literally a week later 😂

That is 100% correct.

You posted this the day after they beat the Giants to go 13-1, 3 games and 34% clear of second.

They then lost 5 of their next 6.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Sydney's 2024 dominance is underrated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back