T20I T20 World Cup Game 4 Sri Lanka v South Africa, June 4 2400hrs @ Nassau County International Cricket Stadium New York

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's legit a week almost until we see the first two decent games Australia v England and India v Pakistan... not a fan of this tournament, too many minnow matchups.

And some wanted more of them..honestly the way the tournament is just fast forward to the super 8's and be done with it. It's just 4 warmup games for the good sides.

Na can't agree, Smith was that bad internationally in t20 not sure I would have. Look it probably depends on conditions, but picking too many sloggers isn't going to end well this WC, it's why weirdly I feel watch a side like Pakistan do really well.

Conditions and luck of the toss will come into it come the business end.. time will tell if it'll favour the defenders or the chasers but without a doubt conditions are massive in T20's...

Look at the year Australia won.. the dew made it almost impossible at times to defend, played a massive part in the Finals, all 3 sides that won the toss and bowled won.

1717463868391.png

Conditions and luck of the toss will come into it come the business end.. time will tell if it'll favour the defenders or the chasers but without a doubt conditions are massive in T20's...

Look at the year Australia won.. the dew made it almost impossible at times to defend, played a massive part in the Finals, all 3 sides that won the toss and bowled won.

View attachment 2010181

Yep that whole WC was win toss win match, it was great we did play well and got Marsh at his absolute peak purple patch form too.

The only thing I feel we have missed is a genuione and I mean genuine middle order t20 bat (I don't classify Smith as one as he can't bat there in t20). I'd have personally picked one of those just not sure who and that's sort of the million dollar question. It's the one thing our domestic comp lacks and that's genuine middle order bats and before people say Davies he's not ready and another slogger isn't the idea, someone weirdly like Ashton Turner might have been a good idea (not sure on his fitness)

It was always going to happen Windies wickets in all formats are extremely slow and hard to score on... Its why Australia legit have zero chance of doing anything in this tournament once they have to play the good sides.

This was played on a drop in pitch in New York, not a Windies wicket, it wasn't fit to be a T20 pitch, SA struggled to bat on it too.

Hopefully they improve that pitch for the remaining games there as it won't do much to attract US viewers with matches like that.

Last edited:
And some wanted more of them..honestly the way the tournament is just fast forward to the super 8's and be done with it. It's just 4 warmup games for the good sides.

Agreed I would have been more a fan of what they done last time, Top 8 automatically make it and all the minnows play each other prior to the World Cup and the Best 2 make it through to join the two groups with a 10 team World Cup.

You'd end up with the following 2 groups going from the rankings.

Group A
India
England
New Zealand
South Africa
Minnow A

Group B
Australia
Windies
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Minnow B

You could even have each group play each other twice with Top 2 from each group progressing to the semis.

Be good match up after good match up.

Agreed I would have been more a fan of what they done last time, Top 8 automatically make it and all the minnows play each other prior to the World Cup and the Best 2 make it through to join the two groups with a 10 team World Cup.

Group A
India
England
New Zealand
South Africa
Minnow A

Group B
Australia
Windies
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Minnow B

You could even have each group play each other twice with Top 2 from each group progressing to the semis.

100% said it last time having a mini wc between them was fantastic and it meant the two in the best form at that point made it. There's too many basically warmup matches in this WC. Fast forward to the final 8 and stop wasting 2 weeks or whatever getting there

I would have gone with 5 or 6 groups of 4.
Having groups of 5, where only 2 qualify for the next stage gives the smaller sides barely a chance to go to the next stage. If they stick to the 5 per group, make the top 3 go through to the Super 12. It will give the midrange team some hope

Having groups of 5, where only 2 qualify for the next stage gives the smaller sides barely a chance to go to the next stage. If they stick to the 5 per group, make the top 3 go through to the Super 12. It will give the midrange team some hope

wow... you really enjoy these crap sides playing?

the crap sides should play one another prior to the World Cup with the best 2 progressing.

20 teams is plenty so your suggestion of 5 groups is fine, but that's still too many cakewalk games. I liked the last WC format. More quality games and good sides actually had to play well, the more rubbish games the less pool games actually mean anything because lets be real a good side will back themselves whoever they meet in the super 8's especially with the other ridiculous thing that points are wiped after the pool games!

the crap sides should play one another prior to the World Cup with the best 2 progressing.

Yeah that was easily the best format.

These smaller nations need the exposure and revenue and games against the bigger teams to improve. The more they do this, the better teams like Oman and Uganda and PNG will become. And I am only suggesting this for the T20 WC. Keep the ODI WC small, that's fine (although would suggest increasing the number of teams in the CT to make sure Scotland, Ireland, Nepal, Namibia and Netherlands can all qualify).
Let's not make cricket exclusive to the top few.

Also, if you watched yesterday, The West Indies v PNG game was a great competitive watch. And the Namibia v Oman game went to a Super Over

Last edited:
These smaller nations need the exposure and revenue and games against the bigger teams to improve. The more they do this, the better teams like Oman and Uganda and PNG will become. And I am only suggesting this for the T20 WC. Keep the ODI WC small, that's fine (although would suggest increasing the number of teams in the CT to make sure Scotland, Ireland, Nepal, Namibia and Netherlands can all qualify).
Let's not make cricket exclusive to the top few.

Also, if you watched yesterday, The West Indies v PNG game was a great competitive watch. And the Namibia v Oman game went to a Super Over

How can’t the Oman-Namibia match be played in a smaller tournament beforehand. There’s 2 waste of time weeks in this tournament. I mean unless a side like SA plans on losing to some chump side the top 8 play in the super 8. Just don’t see the point, 3 groups of 5 seems perfect and that’s giving a few more on top.

How can’t the Oman-Namibia match be played in a smaller tournament beforehand. There’s 2 waste of time weeks in this tournament. I mean unless a side like SA plans on losing to some chump side the top 8 play in the super 8. Just don’t see the point, 3 groups of 5 seems perfect and that’s giving a few more on top.
If it's played in a pre-tournament, then the midrange teams (as listed above) won't all get the chance to play the full member nations.

4 groups of 4, instead of 3 groups of 5 ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both those sides will get a lot out of playing against England and Australia and generally being in Barbados, and watching and learning from bigger teams. They wouldn't get that otherwise.

If it's played in a pre-tournament, then the midrange teams (as listed above) won't all get the chance to play the full member nations.

4 groups of 4, instead of 3 groups of 5 ??

Yes they will by qualifying and being in form. This WC is the worst in terms of the format, it's literally 2 weeks of nothing then fast forward to the real tournament. Big sides won't care if they lose to another one they will qualify anyway.Even though it went against us the last WC was perfect, and a loss to NZ meant something for our chances.

Yes they will by qualifying and being in form. This WC is the worst in terms of the format, it's literally 2 weeks of nothing then fast forward to the real tournament. Big sides won't care if they lose to another one they will qualify anyway.Even though it went against us the last WC was perfect, and a loss to NZ meant something for our chances.

In this, where is there space for Nepal, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Ireland, Netherlands and Scotland?
Group A
India
England
New Zealand
South Africa
Minnow A

Group B
Australia
Windies
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Minnow B

In this, where is there space for Nepal, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Ireland, Netherlands and Scotland?

Top 2 in the tournament before hand make it, we do not need every one of them. It makes every match bar that one (so long as they don't flop it which they shouldn't) important for top sides. Don't see what's good about 2 waste of time weeks in a world cup

Top 2 in the tournament before hand make it, we do not need every one of them. It makes every match bar that one (so long as they don't flop it which they shouldn't) important for top sides. Don't see what's good about 2 waste of time weeks in a world cup
I think you need all of them, it is a World Cup. And those midrange teams don't get the opportunity to play the big nations as much, and it's only in the WC that they are afforded the opportunity.
Afghanistan is only as good as it is due to expanded ICC tournaments and not being able to worry about qualification

I think you need all of them, it is a World Cup. And those midrange teams don't get the opportunity to play the big nations as much, and it's only in the WC that they are afforded the opportunity.
Afghanistan is only as good as it is due to expanded ICC tournaments and not being able to worry about qualification

So your solution is MORE games that prolong the tournament, that actually mean nothing...then to make things even worse your points and NRR are wiped after the first stage. I'm all for development but why are we wasting 2 weeks of a WC doing it. Makes very little sense, and it means most will tune in when the super 8 stage starts.

So your solution is MORE games that prolong the tournament, that actually mean nothing...then to make things even worse your points and NRR are wiped after the first stage. I'm all for development but why are we wasting 2 weeks of a WC doing it. Makes very little sense, and it means most will tune in when the super 8 stage starts.
The 2022 tournament was 45 games, the 2024 tournament is 55 games. Negligible when you add 4 more teams. Both tournaments run for about a month
Your complaint has only come with this game (Afg v Uga), which I agree is very one sided. But there has already been games in this tournament that on paper should have been more one sided than it was (Win v PNG; and Nam v Oma)

I don't like the points and NRR being wiped, and the predetermined seeding for the Super 8s is stupid.

Uganda worked hard to get this opportunity, and it will be good for their development. As it's done for Afghanistan in the past 10 years

The 2022 tournament was 45 games, the 2024 tournament is 55 games. Negligible when you add 4 more teams. Both tournaments run for about a month
Your complaint has only come with this game (Afg v Uga), which I agree is very one sided. But there has already been games in this tournament that on paper should have been more one sided than it was (Win v PNG; and Nam v Oma)

I don't like the points and NRR being wiped, and the predetermined seeding for the Super 8s is stupid.

Uganda worked hard to get this opportunity, and it will be good for their development. As it's done for Afghanistan in the past 10 years

45 games is still better than 55 games! That's 10 less and a week's less. Rather use that format at least. Didn't need to add more teams.

Group A
India
England
New Zealand
South Africa
Minnow A

Group B
Australia
Windies
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Minnow B

This format with teams playing each other twice in the group stage followed by 2x semis and a final is the best format going. It'd be 40 odd games and blockbuster after blockbuster.

Cricket will be a better sport when more teams are competitive at an international level.

The way for them to be competitive is to play more games against better opposition.

In a world where countries decide who they want to play and when (ie India as often as possible) this is the only real way for that to happen.

People sooking about a few blowouts in the first round of a world cup should look at pretty much every other sport, in which the same thing happens.

If you don't want to watch these games, don't. If you only care about the Super 8s and onwards, that's fine, have another couple of weeks to yourself and then switch on.

Remove this Banner Ad

T20I T20 World Cup Game 4 Sri Lanka v South Africa, June 4 2400hrs @ Nassau County International Cricket Stadium New York

Back