-VC-

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche, Melb Mustangs
Gee, there's been some interesting results already this week!

Northern beat Dandenong by over 100 points to mirror the Round 1 match between the two sides. Fair enough - that's kind of expected even if a bit excessive. Kreuzer 6, Bongetti 5, Cotchin 4, Veszpremi 3. That's some pretty serious fire power up forward. Consolation for Dandy is that U/16 player Tom Scully was named in the bests. Was anyone at this game? How'd he go?

Murray beat Calder by 123 points. WTF?! I know that Murray are pretty good, but so are Calder. They are a class outfit and they got absolutely pantsed. Calder must be a bit worried if they meet Murray in the finals with this result so fresh on their minds. Same consolation as the last game for the losers with Jake Melksham named in Calder's bests. Is it a bit of a stetch to ask if anyone was in Wangaratta for that one?

Eastern beat Gippsland by about seven goals. Here's another real surprise. Eastern have been big improvers late in the season, but I had put this down to having a relatively soft run through the middle part of the season, but beating Gippsland is no mean feat. Pretty much guarantees their spot in the finals.

Gee, there's been some interesting results already this week!
Murray beat Calder by 123 points. WTF?!

Well it is a known fact the the Cannons have about six players out at the moment, it was mentioned in the Herald Sun today. Interesting to see the tables turn in the final weeks leading up to the finals series, it will definately be interesting to see how the Jets and the Falcons go tomorrow considering they have slipped to 5th and 6th places respectively.

Well it is a known fact the the Cannons have about six players out at the moment, it was mentioned in the Herald Sun today.
Well, yeah, they are missing some good players. But 123 points worth of players for a team with good depth?

Shows how even this competition is, and really on their day anyone can beat anyone.

If the Jets win tomorrow they'll go to 2nd, if they lose and Geelong have a win they'll go to 6th. It's a massive log jam near the top of the table.

Murray have won 7 on the trot - and put away Geelong, Northern, Gippsland and Calder in the past month - the four sides who sat in the top four going into this weekend.

In Round 18 there is a strong possibility of two matches deciding top four positions - Murray v Western at Shepparton and Northern v Geelong at MC Labour Park.

Whatever happens there will be one or two sides who are very stiff not to make the top four. And it wouldn't shock if we saw 5th and 6th at the end of the home and away season playing off in a Grand Final.

Anyone know how hurley played for the knights?

Played very very well for the Knights at FB and CHB. Also kicked a long goal in the 2nd quarter IIRC. Just dominates in the back half, and is quite scary that he is underaged, and will play TAC again next year. Will be a top 3 pick next year, if not #1.

Anyone know how hurley played for the knights?

Hurley was sensational today. Absolutely blanketed Simpson when he was on him......just never gets beaten, never puts a foot wrong, can use the ball long or short, reads the play well...very bright future. I know KPD tend to slide, but If you stopped everything now and asked me to draft for 2008 now I would take Hurley at #1, that's how highly I rate him.

I went along to Eastern vs Power today and it was a great match. was there to support my mate Ben Griffiths, the kid is 15 and he more than held his own playing against players 3 years his senior with a couple of beautiful set shot goals.

I went along to Eastern vs Power today and it was a great match. was there to support my mate Ben Griffiths, the kid is 15 and he more than held his own playing against players 3 years his senior with a couple of beautiful set shot goals.

Agree Darcy, your friend looks like a great prospect, one to watch next year for sure.

Hurley was sensational today. Absolutely blanketed Simpson when he was on him......just never gets beaten, never puts a foot wrong, can use the ball long or short, reads the play well...very bright future. I know KPD tend to slide, but If you stopped everything now and asked me to draft for 2008 now I would take Hurley at #1, that's how highly I rate him.

Hypothetical question for you - if he was eligible for the 2007 draft, where would he go?

Was at Wang today. First quarter very even and then Murray brained them. Cannons missing about 8 of their best but 2 (Smith, Maric) out for the year.
You can put a line through Calder they are gone. Lots of their players dont like it hard and from what I hear Oakleigh did the same thing to them last week. Physical pressure to put them off their game.
Murray were terrific. Lots of hard runners who are fed well by Simpson who is seemingly improving weekly and Browne.
Melksham and Trengove certainly lived up to AIS honours. Melksham is 15 and showed real class and poise and can use the footy. Trengove took the honours in most one on one duels with McEvoy- great contest all day.

Hypothetical question for you - if he was eligible for the 2007 draft, where would he go?

That's a tough one footyman. I do see your point though, when push comes to shove it is hard to pull the trigger on a KPD. I'd have him in front of Rance. Given he is bottom aged 5 or 6?

Calder they are gone. Lots of their players dont like it hard and from what I hear Oakleigh did the same thing to them last week. Physical pressure to put them off their game.
You're right thats exactly how Oakleigh beat them.

But it was only 3 weeks ago that Calder beat Eastern by 10 goals. It's uncharacteristic of the Cannons to topple over, to lack depth and to not show some fight when their backs are to the wall. Massive game for them next week against Geelong. If they lose that, we can officially say the dynasty is over :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a tough one footyman. I do see your point though, when push comes to shove it is hard to pull the trigger on a KPD. I'd have him in front of Rance. Given he is bottom aged 5 or 6?
would you put him in front of henderson. cause as its shaping henderson will go after 5 or 6.

i know i would take hurley #1 next year cause god knows he is exactly what carlton needs. but thinking about it i would put hurley in front of henderson, because when you get a KPB like hurls, you never wanna see him slip by you.

So with todays winners being Sandringham, Western and Geelong the ladder with two rounds is:

Gippsland 12-4 124.00%
Western 11-5 118.70%
Calder 11-5 118.54%
Murray 10-6 122.68%
Geelong 10-6 121.10%
Northern 10-6 117.77%
Eastern 8-8 100.38%
N Ballarat 7-8 77.74%
------------------------
Oakleigh 5-11
Dandenong 5-11
Bendigo 4-12
Sandringham 3-13

Would see Oakleigh and Dandenong have thrown away their chances of playing finals by not winning this weekend. Could have closed to within a game of the top 8 - both with far better percentages than the Rebels.

Pretty tight near the top, percentages are incredibly close is going to be crucial. Sides can't afford to take the foot off the gas near the end of games - especially Northern, Western and Calder.

I'm going to borrow an idea off Footy Classified for a minute - The Closing Cook!

This applies to one club I saw over the weekend, but I think its really poor to see a certain clubs players who aren't selected or injured for a game that are just rocking up to games in casual gear. Not wearing the club polo or jacket to me shows a lack of respect for their footy club - and particularly their clubs sponsors who contribute financially so players can have the latest equipment to use which gives them the best possible chance of getting drafted. If these young blokes have aspirations of being AFL footballers, they're going to have to learn to wear club polo shirts and uniforms anyway. It's the minor things that set the foundations of a good club culture.

I still think Murray are my favourites to win the flag this year. I just really like the mix they have, with a few quality match-winning types.

Geelong are the other team I'm a fan of.

I still think Murray are my favourites to win the flag this year. I just really like the mix they have, with a few quality match-winning types.

Geelong are the other team I'm a fan of.

I think Northern and Calder have the most talent although they'll need to gel as a team if they are going to win it. Murray do look the goods although Northern may account for them with the return of private school kids like Stanton, Cotchin, Zaharakis, Sanfillipo etc for finals. I think Oakleigh may cause some upsets if they manage to scrape into the finals. They've been very undermanned this year. Can they still make the 8?

The Knights were awesome yesterday, and could get right through to the big one IMHO.

With games against Bendigo, and then Geelong @ Preston, I could see them winning both of these games. This would really give them some momentum going into the finals.
I'm pretty sure the game against Geelong in the last round has been moved to MC Labour Park.

If they manage to beat Gippsland and Eastern. And if Nth ballarat lose to Murray and Sandringham. Unlikely.

That's actually not unrealistic. Firstly, Murray should easily account for Nth Ballarat, and then a Sandingham team boosted by the inclusion of about 10 private school kids suddenly looks threatening. Also, I think Oakleigh with a full team will easily account for Gippsland and Eastern.

That's actually not unrealistic. Firstly, Murray should easily account for Nth Ballarat, and then a Sandingham team boosted by the inclusion of about 10 private school kids suddenly looks threatening. Also, I think Oakleigh with a full team will easily account for Gippsland and Eastern.

I agree with you mate, wouldn't rule it out and I'd have Oakleigh favourites in their remaining games, and would have Ballarat underdogs in their remaining 2 games as well. Just the fact that all 4 results need to go Oakleigh's way, makes it pretty unlikely. Would love to see them make the finals though, as if they did, they'd be a real threat at the flag (unlike Ballarat)

Remove this Banner Ad

TAC Cup Round 16

Remove this Banner Ad

Back