tac finals

Remove this Banner Ad

footyfan97

Senior List
Aug 12, 2009
bendigo
AFL Club
West Coast
footyman, and others, being at both yesterdays and todays game the crowd and atmosphere of previous finals series gone past seems to be along way down? what are your thoughs

I think it's always hard to get a good atmosphere at Visy Park given the size of the place. Very much depends on the teams who are playing - the Metro sides generally get larger crowds.

Seemed to be a lot less young people there today, whether a lot of the players mates tend to go to local footy finals instead I don't know but I remember a few years ago at finals there would be 16-18 year old kids everywhere in the crowd cheering on their mates.

I think the standard of the TAC Cup this year is well down on previous years as well. Might have something to do with the games being a bit flat.

Let's hope it picks up for the remainder of the finals.

hopefully this all changes with the local derby between western v calder.
Can anyone offer some sort of write up or feeling from the games on the weekend?
also what are people thoughts on sam critchley for the jets? has only played 4 games but got best on in the weekends game

Caught bits and pieces of Sundays games, and didn't take notes so I'm writing this from memory and bound to miss stuff.

Got there part way into the final qtr of Jets/Falcons, Jets 4 goals up but Falcons winning clearances at will and looking much more dangerous. Playing straight direct footy, none of the faffing about that they've apparently been doing the rest of the season. Geel missed a couple of late opportunities to really pile scoreboard pressure, and the Jets were able to play cool-headed chipping footy to inch the ball forward uncontested mark after mark and get a couple to put the result beyond doubt.

From what little I saw:

Kennedy worked really hard and was important in the last - the chipping style of game suits him well. Ran hard defensively too, which is always good to see.

Hylton was very reliable down back, though he definitely seems to have lost a yard of speed since the start of the year. Reminded me of Courtenay Dempsey when I first saw him, similar uncatchable pace, but while he was good on Sun he didn't have the zoom any more. Maybe injured, maybe bulked up and lost a bit, maybe just tired. Kicking has improved since the start of the year, and he's more willing to use it.

Spencer White a quality focal point up forward and gave the Falcon's defence nightmares, but didn't quite manage to put it all together. Good size, loads of presence, just not quote there on the output - bit fumbly at times. Still kicked 2 including the sealer late.

Hoskin-Elliot did some great things earlier in th qtr when the Jets were under seige. Long loping run up the wings, disposed of it well.

For Geel, Devon Smith looked lethally dangerous up fwd, opened up the Jets HB line several times, followed up his own kicks to put in 2nd effort and apply pressure. Unfortunately missed a couple of snaps which would have put the Falcons in striking distance.

Gordon a very big body and led well, could have kicked more accurately. Would have liked to see him take the ball out in front rather than on his chest more often, though admittedly he usually had enough separation that it didn't matter too much.

Oakleigh vs Rebels looked to be a boilover for quite a bit of the game - Coleman Schache was absolutely on fire early, made Tyson etc look ineffectual. But the Oakleigh backline stopped the margin blowing out, the Chargers clamped down on Schache and quality across the field eventually won out.

Arnot arguably the best of the Chargers mids, particularly early when they were under the pump. Good size and physical, hits the ball running, kicking hs improved significantly since earlier in the year, makes the occasional poor decision though. Tyson & Greene got bigger numbers but I reckon were less effective until late in the game.

Curran held the shop together in the Oakleigh backline all day. Anticipates well, probably not the fastest but he's a big, strong kid and takes a good mark - bit of a rock down there.

Greene a bit of a frustrating day, unable to shape the game as he usually does despite getting a lot of the ball, worked his way into it later recieving from in front of the pack (once Tyson etc got on top in close) and bolting fwd. Kicked two very important set-shot goals from good marks in the 4th.

Tomlinson a bit of a shocker early, made a couple of blues when he could have had shots on goal, spent a fair bit of the time looking lost on the wing. Woke up in the 4th and was a big reason for the turnaround, too big for his opponent and took a lot of marks.

Viney got it a fair bit but could have been more effective. Needs to play with a bit more brain and a bit less angry pills. Goes 100% all the time, but sometimes this gets in the way of making the right decisions. Spent some time down back on Neade, but looked much more at home in the midfield later on.

Mascitti a mobile, dangerous forward target, undersized a bit for AFL kpf, but presents hard and can take a mark.

For the Rebels, Schache unstoppable early, doing it all inside and out. Maybe blazes from a clearance too often (especially when blind freddy knew that Curren was dominating the air down back) but won his own ball, linked up - everything you'd want a mid to do. Faded in the 2nd half, and NB just couldn't keup going after that. Needs to bulk up a bit imho.

The ruck #47 was absolutely dominant early, and neither my record of the TAC website tells me who he is, so he's going to remain a mystery. Quality tapwork, couple of good marks around the ground, even set up one of the Rebels 1st qt goals with a clearing handball from on his knees in a pack. Faded almost completely later, not sure what happened there.

Crouch explosive and dynamic in the middle and up forward. Good size for an 18yo, VERY good size for an underager. Used the ball well, kicked goals. First time I'd seen him, was impressed. Worth the hype if this keeps up.

Neade just too quick for everyone else on the ground, looked deadly early but just didn't quite manage to get enough ball in the open when he could use his pace.

Ross a big body off half-back, useful game from him.

Tanner Smith did a few things that make you think he'll be a handy kpd prospect next year - good positioning, took a lot of marks from opposition kicks.

Curran held the shop together in the Oakleigh backline all day. Anticipates well, probably not the fastest but he's a big, strong kid and takes a good mark - bit of a rock down there.

Thanks HM, always enjoy reading your reports, great insight.:thumbsu:
Do you see Curran being a bit like Jordan Lisle in that he dominates at TAC level with his height & strength but will be shown up for pace at AFL level?
Could you draw a comparison with any current AFL players in terms of pacen and where would you rate him in terms of draft position based on the talls available in this years draft, do you think he will cost the Hawks their first rounder?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Did anyone get down to the Calder vs Dandenong game?

From what i have heard it was a game between the arcs with both sides back half's doing well. From reading the papers i have heard Sheridan em-massed large amounts of footy while Ellis was best afield & Talia kept Elton to few touches and had an impact. Who were the standout players for both sides?

Anyone see the Dragons on saturday? Could they win their first flag since 2000(I think)?

Saw lesser known bottom ager Kenny Ong got BOG, any thought on if he'll make Vic next year or possibly drafted?

Did anyone get down to the Calder vs Dandenong game?

From what i have heard it was a game between the arcs with both sides back half's doing well. From reading the papers i have heard Sheridan em-massed large amounts of footy while Ellis was best afield & Talia kept Elton to few touches and had an impact. Who were the standout players for both sides?

yeah i got along actually meant to post up a report but as always time gets away a bit from me.

Kudos to Raymann actually - kid he has been talking about is the lad Minchington who I think was only elevated in 2nd half of year. He is a ripper. Has got super pace and and runs really good offensively. I would think he is very draftable and suspect his name will get out there. Has attributes the recruiters want. Rob Hill - hadnt really noticed him to be honest previously but look he was good to. Played across HB and I thought was really clean under pressure and made good decisions. Interested in what others think of him. The other one was Nick Haynes.....he can play. Had seen a couple of times earlier in the year and i know he is 19 but surely he will be selected. Stood with a Dandy fella and he reckons he tests really well. Finally I should apol to Jordan kelly. I had seen him a few times and really wasnt that impressed to be fair. Not sure about the height but whereas wasnt thinking he was that draftable he would definately be rookied. On the flip side.....Elton needs to influence games more. So much going for him.

For Calder was impressed by the usual squad. Sheridan, Markworth, Ellis (he should go top 20 IMO), Talia stood out for me. Talia was another who when watched at earlier stages in year just thought his kicking will drop him right down but seemed better and moreso his decision making. Uyzal was a tease and Williams was disappointing and Dale is interesting.

Hi Snoop...

Glad you finally picked up on Minchington, has the goods and i agree either a late pick or rookie spot. A bit quiet on the weekend against Oakliegh.

Totally agree with your comments on Elton. Will get drafted as he is 197cm ,can run, can kick, can mark, he is capable of doing it all. The only problem is he has showed it in glimpses... Rnd 1, Rnd 17 and VC v NT. Needs to put it all together more often.

Really like Kelly, been unlucky this year with injuries. Turf toe late last year and had an operation Dec/Jan missed a fair chunk of preseason. Finally found some form and fitness then broke his hand and out for another six weeks. Played very well in both finals, should get drafted.

A shout out to my old mate Cashy, i hope you are staying away from Oxford st.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Snoop...

Glad you finally picked up on Minchington, has the goods and i agree either a late pick or rookie spot. A bit quiet on the weekend against Oakliegh.

Totally agree with your comments on Elton. Will get drafted as he is 197cm ,can run, can kick, can mark, he is capable of doing it all. The only problem is he has showed it in glimpses... Rnd 1, Rnd 17 and VC v NT. Needs to put it all together more often.

Really like Kelly, been unlucky this year with injuries. Turf toe late last year and had an operation Dec/Jan missed a fair chunk of preseason. Finally found some form and fitness then broke his hand and out for another six weeks. Played very well in both finals, should get drafted.

A shout out to my old mate Cashy, i hope you are staying away from Oxford st.

well i havent seen much TAC post champs and up til week 1 finals. Caught all 4 games that weekend actually and it was good...albeit had to watch Pies get slaughtered by Cats on the Friday.

Cashy said to say hi and that Oxford st aint what it used to be........

Remove this Banner Ad

tac finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back