Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 26, 2007
FORWARD POCKET
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
THE BIG SOUND WEST OF THE TOWN!
Now im not one to jump into things without them being confirmed
but bedford just rang me and heard that Tadhg will be leaving the club today!

I really hope this isnt true i want him to stay and play out his last year but if he really needs to go there is no point in trying to keep him around! As much as i love him i kinda have to be a tiny little but pissed off that we may lose players and draft picks over this!

Again i hope its not true! But if is well done tiger you have been a star thanks for everything you have done for the club!

Now im not one to jump into things without them being confirmed
but bedford just rang me and heard that Tadhg will be leaving the club today!

I really hope this isnt true i want him to stay and play out his last year but if he really needs to go there is no point in trying to keep him around! As much as i love him i kinda have to be a tiny little but pissed off that we may lose players and draft picks over this!

Again i hope its not true! But if is well done tiger you have been a star thanks for everything you have done for the club!

i really really really dont want it to be true.

Hi Guys - just on SEN - Roos confirmed to thes tation that he was heading into a meting with Tadgh and a press conference is scheduled for this afternoon... he said the decision was brought forward due to injuries... .. what a great player and a great story he has been

It is a sad way to end a career, such a successful one as well, in this manner - without a proper sendoff.

From a Swans point of view, this is a huge blow. We know how dysfunctional our defence can be without him, evidenced by some poor results when we've played during his injuries.

Uh oh. When is the press conference supposed to be held, anyone?

From the Heraldsun

• "DASHING Sydney defender Tadhg Kennelly is expected to announce his retirement from the AFL today.
The Swans have called a press conference with Kennelly and coach Paul Roos for a 3.30pm announcement but have declinined to reveal what it's about.

But Kennelly, 27, who is heading into the last season of his contract with the Swans, has long indicated a desire to return to Ireland and finish his sporting career in Gaelic football.

The fleet-footed Kennelly would be a big loss to the Swans after helping them to their premiership win in 2005 and to the finals for the last six years since his debut in 2001."

- AAP

Sad to see him go

From the Heraldsun

• "DASHING Sydney defender Tadhg Kennelly is expected to announce his retirement from the AFL today.
The Swans have called a press conference with Kennelly and coach Paul Roos for a 3.30pm announcement but have declinined to reveal what it's about.

But Kennelly, 27, who is heading into the last season of his contract with the Swans, has long indicated a desire to return to Ireland and finish his sporting career in Gaelic football.

The fleet-footed Kennelly would be a big loss to the Swans after helping them to their premiership win in 2005 and to the finals for the last six years since his debut in 2001."

- AAP

Sad to see him go
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

Whos going to replace him in the 22 though?

I was looking forward to watching him for one more season. Always liked how he went about his game. I would think he was great around the club as well with his cheekiness.

Hopefully his injuries are not too bad and he can still play out a couple of seasons back in Ireland for his county.

I'm in utter shock. I can't believe this. I really can't.

WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO REPLACE TADHG? WE BLOODY NEED HIM!!! Ah.. Rhyce Shaw.

And DAMN! WE DIDN'T GIVE HIM A PROPER FAREWELL.

I am absolutely shattered.

Really need to hear the full story. I'm now angry at the fact that they had to leave it the last minute! I'm pretty sure his reasons are legite but it just doesn't help the fact that we are now short of defenders. We've got Malceski (who's not playing his best.. missing his penetrating kick), Mattner (has been a great pick up) and Rhyce Shaw (Dear god...).

F$&K

losing Kennelly is hard enough as her is bloody fantastic at rebound football and makes Roos system work.

Aside from this we have major list problems now, Fosdike Kenny off the list Heasth and Hanberry are doing school in vic for school this year and Coney on the small rookie list which mostly been focused on rucks and KPP. Thornton get yourself fit lad because with Fozzie and Kennelly not playing you have every chance of a call up.

We possably won't get a rookie replacement for Kennelly either.

THIS IS ****** GREAT isn't it...

last three years I have lost my 3 favorite players now.

Schides Kennelly and Davo.

Is there no bloody footy god!!!

Couldn't he of retired last season at least to free up room and maybe allow us to have a shot at another player.

He was a great player and a fond memory of him will always be that blind turn goal against Brisbane.

I think this will greatly affect our chances this year.

Nothing but good wishes for the great man - thanks for the memories Tadgh. Never forget the crucial roles he played throughout the history making flag year of 05.

Please no one insult him by suggesting that hack Rhyce Shaw could come CLOSE to replacing him. He is the worst kick in the AFL!

All the best Tadgh. Slainte mha - Cead Mille Faithe!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bugger.

Sad way to go out if true, though I've always maintained he doesn't owe us anything as he's been a terrific clubman. If it is injury-related (and I assume it is because I don't think he's the type to walk out on his contract a year early) it's rotten luck again that it's happened during pre-season training.

So the season hasn't started, and we're two senior players down (including Fossie), with a smaller rookie list. And hasn't that worked out well so far! I hate to say it but the roomies were right ;) *chokes on words* :p

Would have been a good year to bottom out...oh wait the Gold Coast is getting all the top picks this year. Oops.

In other news, Nick Davis just shed a tear. :(

Kennelly can retire when ever he likes, but it should be the same as Basketball.
If you retire you cannot play that sport unless you go back to your old contract.

Luc Longley was a victim of this he wanted to return to Australia, but Phoenix i beleive it was didn't want to release him from his contract so he retired, but was not allowed to play in Australia because of this.

Kennelly should be able to leave but not to play another sport, he should have to sit out his contract first. Or Kerry should have to pay Sydney out, because they are losing a star.

I hope the AFL allows them to draft another rookie or some form of compensation

Played a key part in your historic flag winning side. Personally I will miss his dashing runs from half back. Best of wishes to Tadgh for the future.

Kennelly can retire when ever he likes, but it should be the same as Basketball.
If you retire you cannot play that sport unless you go back to your old contract.

Luc Longley was a victim of this he wanted to return to Australia, but Phoenix i beleive it was didn't want to release him from his contract so he retired, but was not allowed to play in Australia because of this.

Kennelly should be able to leave but not to play another sport, he should have to sit out his contract first. Or Kerry should have to pay Sydney out, because they are losing a star.

I hope the AFL allows them to draft another rookie or some form of compensation

Even though he is going back to an amateur sport?

I personally think what Fosdike and Kennelly have done to the club is pretty poor.

They are more than aware of the system and the club are now 2 players down numbers wise for the year and could have recruited another good player or two.

The club has paid them thier contracts in good faith for many years and to walk after the draft is ordinary.

Both great servants of the club, but they were well paid to play a sport they love and should've had more respect for the club and pulled the pin prior to the Draft.

Just my opinion !

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! It cant be true. :(

Thanks for the memories and good luck @ County Kerry Tadhg - we'll be watching :thumbsu:

I personally think what Fosdike and Kennelly have done to the club is pretty poor.

They are more than aware of the system and the club are now 2 players down numbers wise for the year and could have recruited another good player or two.

The club has paid them thier contracts in good faith for many years and to walk after the draft is ordinary.

Both great servants of the club, but they were well paid to play a sport they love and should've had more respect for the club and pulled the pin prior to the Draft.

Just my opinion !

you raise very good points and i agree with you 100%. the question has to be asked why they didn't make this decision before the draft? has something else happened since then?

maybe tadgh realised that his body isn't holding up for pre-season and he didn't want to have a post-football life wrecked by debilitating injuries like most AFL players have to put up with?

maybe nic fosdike realised that he wasn't going to get much of a run in 1st grade this year due to blooding young players?

i dont think the members of this forum will ever find out, but surely there has to be a reason for them changing their mind now rather than earlier. and if there isn't any reason, i will think much less of them.

The writing was on the wall as far as I was concerned. He spent xmas in Ireland and I'm sure he would ahve let out what he was going to do. His decision may have been leaked out and it made the headlines in the press down there. It was refuted by the club not long ago but now we learn that it was all true.

This leaves us two premiership player's short for this season. The only good thing to come out of this is that it will give some youngsters an opportunity.

Its a sad day...

Remove this Banner Ad

Tadhg Kennelly Gone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back