Tainted Premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

People appear to be taking this thread seriously, here's a hint: don't.

For mine the biggest thing is salary cap concessions. In a closely regulated competition, like the AFL, being able to pay 10 or 20% over the salary cap is a huge advantage. Sydney used this advantage to trade for experienced, quality players like Hall.
Yep, I took this thread as a pisstake. Just look at the 1999 example.

I think the concession had the right idea in theory, but the Swans used it poach players, rather than retain them.

1999 - tainted. best team in the comp didnt get to play in the grandy
2001 - tainted. BrisVegas massive salary cap

DONS 1999-2001 greatest EVER

On this magnificent forum where intellects match wits, exchange brilliant thoughts and challenge one's mind, there are often times when the number of premierships are brought forward as an effective weapon of argument.

For example, "Essendon 16, Hawthorn 9" or "St Kilda haven't won a premiership since the Beatles were popular" and so on.

Another trend is the discrediting of premiership due to salary cap rorting, draft concessions, players drug use, father son rule and so on.
From what I've gathered these are some of the reason why the last bunch of premiers shouldn't have won the premiership

2007: Geelong - Half the team was drafted as Father/Sons
2006: West Coast - The team was so coked up that they were Supermen
2005: Sydney - A gift from the AFL
2004: Port Adelaide - Brisbane felt sorry for them after choking so often
2003: Brisbane - Salary cap and draft concessions
2002: Brisbane - Salary cap and draft concessions
2001: Brisbane - Salary cap and draft concessions
2000: Essendon - Salary cap cheats in 93, so must have cheated in 00
1999: North Melbourne - Wayne Carey threatened to beat all the Carlton players' wives.

and so on and so on.

Personally I think it's pretty pathetic, but what excuses can you see being dished up next year if Geelong, Hawthorn, W Bulldogs, Sydney, Adelaide or St Kilda win the premiership?

close thread boring

Oh how touche are Kangapoos & Geepong fans. Love it Bartos time for another hit:thumbsu:

Please re-read the original post...the OP is asking for people to provide bay 13 excuses for tainted flags and included some of the reasons that have been used for the last 8 flags (which he even described as pathetic reasons). Bartos has already stated they are not his opinions.

Most of the respondents have given similar stupid excuses knowing that the original OP was not actually trolling but you seemed to have missed the whole point and think that the original was a troll.

You have embarrased yourself on 2 fronts:
1/ thinking the OP was a troll
2/ thinking all respondents have been sucked in to replying to that troll.

Please re-read the original post...the OP is asking for people to provide bay 13 excuses for tainted flags and included some of the reasons that have been used for the last 8 flags (which he even described as pathetic reasons). Bartos has already stated they are not his opinions.

Most of the respondents have given similar stupid excuses knowing that the original OP was not actually trolling but you seemed to have missed the whole point and think that the original was a troll.

You have embarrased yourself on 2 fronts:
1/ thinking the OP was a troll
2/ thinking all respondents have been sucked in to replying to that troll.

Touche Cats :p Knew it wouldn't be long before you posted, now wheres Big Bog Cam :eek:

1997 Adelaide Premiership: Jarmen tanked the first half of that game, just to give St Kilda hope then burned them up - TAINTED :eek:

ditto West Coast in '92 & Phil Matera in the second half :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does that mean if we would of won the 96 flag it would of been tainted because of the Andrew Dunkley incident?

You were never going to win the 1996 flag.

every team that wins the flag each year deserves it and reserves the right to tell everyone else GET ____ED we are the champions!

at the end of the day the fashion you win the premiership is neither here nor there

My favourite is that "Sydney's premiership is tainted because someone had hold of someone's jumper as Leo Barry took the mark and it should have been a free kick to the Eagles." :eek:
Well that is actually true. Someone from Sydney DID have hold of an Eagle player's jumper when Barry took that mark and it COULD have been a free kick to the Eagles. Have a look at the footage ! However I doubt very much that a goal would have resulted as the kick was from a fair distance. There WAS a hold of the jumper, the umpire missed it. These things happen in football and i'm not going to begrudge Sydney their premiership on those grounds.

Nice post dumb ass.
Unlike most teams, including your own, Geelong haven't had the luxury of priority draft picks & our highest draft picks have been pick 7. Every club has the opportunity of the father son rule.
You're missing the point though - A massive beer and drug period in Geelong history lead to increased sexual urges between players and their wives/girlfriends and caused Geelong to have more sons for the Father/Son rule. Additionally, Geelong actually cared about their ex players enough to make it a tradition to pick up their sons.

Now I know that wasn't funny and it didn't make sense, but neither does the original argument didn't either.

Did you know for example that Collingwood has had the most father/son picks since the current draft system began? They've had 11, while Geelong has had 10.

Quote from the past......"1983 Qualifying Final - Hawthorn Defeated Fitzroy by 4 points after the dodgiest of deliberate out of bounds was paid against Michael Nettlefold and was followed by an in the back decision against Gary Pert on Richard Loveridge . "

Hawthorn flag 1983 ...tainted ;).

Quote from the past......"1983 Qualifying Final - Hawthorn Defeated Fitzroy by 4 points after the dodgiest of deliberate out of bounds was paid against Michael Nettlefold and was followed by an in the back decision against Gary Pert on Richard Loveridge . "

Hawthorn flag 1983 ...tainted ;).

Funny and kinda sad (R.I.P. FFC) how no-one remembers that

Remove this Banner Ad

Tainted Premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back