Strategy Take Back Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 26, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
OKC, Coburg, Werribee, Storm, QPR
As Port Adelaide supporters, we care about the state of our club and wish to enjoy the successes of the club we love. Accountability is something that was once imperative to Port Adelaide’s success over the years, however in recent times this has not been the case.

Make no mistake, this current situation isn’t one that ends with a simple change of the coach. The issues at Port Adelaide run far deeper. At present, only 2 of the 10 places on our Board of Directors are elected by paying club members. This can lead to a board that lacks accountability and can sit unopposed for long periods of time without the need to make the big calls that are required of a successful club. It also begs the question, are the people electing the other positions on the board truly acting with the club’s best interest at heart?

This is the core reason why I had this idea late last year, and why I've started this thread rather than posting in the Sack Hinkley thread. Ken Hinkley is far from being the sole issue at Port Adelaide right now. In some ways he is merely a symptom of the deeper issues at hand here, and if left untreated we could see many more fans have their passion for the club destroyed beyond repair than we have so far.

Caroline Wilson says Warren Tredrea is “pandering to the rabble”. This is our chance to band together and prove to the football world that we are not a rabble. We are some of the most passionate fans this sport has to offer, and fans who want to see their club be a powerhouse in the competition, because that’s what’s historically been in the club’s DNA.

As such, it is with a great deal of pride that I unveil the logo for Take Back Port Adelaide:
TBPA logo.png

So what is Take Back Port Adelaide? Put simply, this is a brand that fans who truly care about the club and are eager for change can get behind and show that we aren’t simply “white noise”. By starting a grassroots movement, we can begin to look more like an organised group and let the AFL world know that we aren’t a vocal minority, we are some of Port Adelaide's most passionate members and fans who all share the same sentiment.

After being routinely disrespected by figures within the club and in the footy media world for voicing our displeasure, it’s time to spin the narrative back in our favour and show that we haven’t done what we have with malicious intent, we just want to take back our club.

At present, this movement is only just beginning. I have created an Instagram page which can be found @takebackpafc and I intend on launching a website and more socials over time. I’d also like to have clothes, badges and signs produced to spread the message, but everything must start somewhere and we can start with our own catchphrase to hopefully chant at games and spread over social media. Any enquires can be sent to the email address (takebackpafc@gmail.com) and I will endeavour to be of assistance as soon as possible.

This is our chance to band together and prove to the football world that we are not a rabble.

If they insist, I’m ready to embrace the moniker: the Port Adelaide Rabble.

It would fit nicely with the “Prison Bars”.

it is with a great deal of pride that I unveil the logo for Take Back Port Adelaide

I like it a lot. It’s really good. Congratulations!

a brand that fans who truly care about the club and are eager for change can get behind and show that we aren’t simply “white noise”.

It would be nice to work along with people like Alyx and Enviable Tradition who have launched similar endeavours (“We Were Port Adelaide”; “The Black&White Noise”). I am pretty sure that there are others as well.

everything must start somewhere and we can start with our own catchphrase to hopefully chant at games and spread over social media

Whatever I can do from here, you can count me in.

Appreciate that, but I am well and truly out.

Shocked Pop Tv GIF by Nightcap

angry season 1 GIF by ThePassageFOX

season 2 episode 6 GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

Need You Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

If they insist, I’m ready to embrace the moniker: the Port Adelaide Rabble.

It would fit nicely with the “Prison Bars”.
in.
I don’t mind it, but I think one of the key differences here is the circumstances around it. The Prison Bars name was one that we could reclaim because it was made up by jealous opposition fans and we were easily able to counter their attempt at malice by just being consistently better than them and winning plenty of flags.
Our current situation however has us playing the role of David rather than Goliath and perhaps if the roles were reversed we could make it work, but at present we need to simply be stronger as a unit and walk taller, whereas the word rabble would suggest we can’t do that.
I like it a lot. It’s really good. Congratulations!
Greatly appreciated! I would like to break down the elements of the logo as there’s plenty of symbolism around every element and all of it harks back to different things throughout the club’s history, however I will save that for another time. I appreciate the kind words though.
Whatever I can do from here, you can count me in.
I’m in a similar situation to you being based outside of Adelaide (albeit obviously a lot closer) so I think the majority of the action we can take individually would have to be done online, mostly over social media. Much like the slogan “Bring Back The Bars” brought attention to that issue and was easy to saturate the debate with, I think getting the phrase “Take Back Port Adelaide” visible can have a similar effect. Until the social media admins at the club filter out the phrase, it’d be good to eventually see as many people commenting it as possible in order to spread the message.

One of the ideas I would like to eventually see occur is a 50 second “Take Back Port” chant starting at the 19:14 mark of the first quarter until 20:04. 1914 being the club’s invincible season and a great marker of elite achievement, and 2004 being our only AFL flag, highlighting how important being the best is, and the fact that it’s a whopping 2 decades since we won it. I’m aware how ridiculous it is for me to suggest a chant since they kind of need to happen in the moment but perhaps there’s something in it if the idea was promoted enough. If fans could organise a standing ovation for Trav at the 10 minute mark of a game and for Todd at the 13 minute mark then it’s entirely possible.

Love it. Not completely sold on the logo fwiw as no teal and the magpie would suggest picking a fight with Collingwood...or allowing one to be construed that way. I'm all about our magpie history, go to games in the PBs etc but this fight is squarely about returning a meaningful amount of member control. Not the us vs the fat racist ex president again

Love it. Not completely sold on the logo fwiw as no teal and the magpie would suggest picking a fight with Collingwood...or allowing one to be construed that way. I'm all about our magpie history, go to games in the PBs etc but this fight is squarely about returning a meaningful amount of member control. Not the us vs the fat racist ex president again

Donald ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunate with the syllable count.

We want our Port back
Give us our Port back
We want our Port back

Sung throughout Europe after disastrous football takeovers.

What's to take back? The club has pissed on the legacies of Fos Williams, and John Cahill. The club screams for the prison bars, not because of what they mean but to sell merch.

You're also making mark out of yourself, social media means nothing. It's a pointless endeavour to have anyone's names attached to this movement.

However, a decentralised, leaderless insurgency is much harder to beat....

Any contribution is valid.

I’m not diminishing the effort put in by Fizzler. Just feeling jaded with the club and its record of shutting these things down.

What's to take back? The club has pissed on the legacies of Fos Williams, and John Cahill. The club screams for the prison bars, not because of what they mean but to sell merch.

You're also making mark out of yourself, social media means nothing. It's a pointless endeavour to have anyone's names attached to this movement.

However, a decentralised, leaderless insurgency is much harder to beat....
I mean it seems you’ve hit the mark on what this is about, that’s exactly the type of stuff that needs to change. As for attaching myself as a figure to this, I get the sense a faceless organisation would make it much harder to ever be in a position to even talk with the club about the concerns us fans have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back