Footy Dept. Talent & Operations Manager Matt Rosa

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s interesting-any other clues ?

Honestly I don’t know much about this stuff. But I was driving home a few weeks ago and had trade radio on. And someone mentioned a mature ager getting some buzz.

Forgotten who the player is but here’s what I vaguely remember. They are 23. Have been playing as an undersized KPD but can play anywhere including mid and just won some award or something.

This is the guy you are talking about. Can not give you full acess.

Thanks ant555 and RedmanWasHere

Yeah sounds like the one.

Again don’t know much about him but the physical profile and mature age status is super intriguing. Cal or whoever was really talking them up. Given we are shopping in the bargain bin seems like the exact type of player we should do our due diligence on

We strangely never seem to go for the mature age guys

New people so might be different now.
We did try a mature ager in this spot a few years ago (forget their name)

In theory you want younger because they have a greater chance at a higher ceiling. Mature Ager’s tend to be who they are and most people good enough are in the system.

Honestly never seen this guy play. Might be rubbish but Covid year messed up lots in terms of recruiting and a 190cm multi position guy playing Sweeper/QB seems like the exact we need on the list

New people so might be different now.
We did try a mature ager in this spot a few years ago (forget their name)

In theory you want younger because they have a greater chance at a higher ceiling. Mature Ager’s tend to be who they are and most people good enough are in the system.

Honestly never seen this guy play. Might be rubbish but Covid year messed up lots in terms of recruiting and a 190cm multi position guy playing Sweeper/QB seems like the exact we need on the list

That's true. I'd love Rosa to give someone from the WAFL a crack - someone perhaps not known to a whole lot of people outside of the WAFL.

We signed up Montgomerie last year or the year before, who I actually quite liked. He probably was just quite at the level below, but was a solid VFL option. I think he was from the SANFL. Then we had the guy from Richmond's VFL team maybe two years ago, who had a killer left boot but was - with no offence meant to him - terrible at pretty much everything aside from kicking. Neither got an AFL game though.

I suppose SE-H counts - is now 23.

Id hazard a guess we go for too many mature aged guys. ant555 has corrected me and said it works out no better or worse than other clubs.feels like our successes dont compete with other clubs (Hibberd, Baguley compared to say Tom Stewart, Blicavs)
That's true. I'd love Rosa to give someone from the WAFL a crack - someone perhaps not known to a whole lot of people outside of the WAFL.

We signed up Montgomerie last year or the year before, who I actually quite liked. He probably was just quite at the level below, but was a solid VFL option. I think he was from the SANFL. Then we had the guy from Richmond's VFL team maybe two years ago, who had a killer left boot but was - with no offence meant to him - terrible at pretty much everything aside from kicking. Neither got an AFL game though.

I think our success are heavily outweighed by our failures. Ben Howlett, Michael Hibberd, Mark Baguley are ones that come to mind. Not overly "great" reading.

This is a big reason why I want us to go for more youth with the rookie list

I know we were looking very hard at Savingi for MS draft but that was via Adrian and went against him due to the 18 month contract, which seems to have not mattered in the end

Id hazard a guess we go for too many mature aged guys. ant555 has corrected me and said it works out no better or worse than other clubs.feels like our successes dont compete with other clubs (Hibberd, Baguley compared to say Tom Stewart, Blicavs)

I think our success are heavily outweighed by our failures. Ben Howlett, Michael Hibberd, Mark Baguley are ones that come to mind. Not overly "great" reading.

I would say Michael Hibberd being good enough to be head hunted by another club who offered more cash, and then becoming an all australian + premiership player is a [very Borat voice] great success.

If we could draft a couple of Michael (not Mitch) Hibberds this year it would be an awesome result.

Yep Hibberd was definitely a success, very good player and AA (though not with us) is an incredible outcome for a mature age rookie pick.

People must be looking back at Baguley with some seriously rose-coloured glasses though, used to have me screaming at the TV. Was a total liability as a defender who couldn't keep up with any small fwds so either got turned around/burnt or hung on and gave away a free. Finally taken out of the backline was then a very mediocre slow defensive small fwd.

Too many? Wow. I can literally only think of 2 (or 3 if you include El-Hawli..?) in the past 5+ years.

Hibberd was for sure a success. A healthy and prime Hibberd right now would arguably be our best player after Merrett. I can't think of too many others.

Yep Hibberd was definitely a success, very good player and AA (though not with us) is an incredible outcome for a mature age rookie pick.

People must be looking back at Baguley with some seriously rose-coloured glasses though, used to have me screaming at the TV. Was a total liability as a defender who couldn't keep up with any small fwds so either got turned around/burnt or hung on and gave away a free. Finally taken out of the backline was then a very mediocre slow defensive small fwd.

Bags was a battler, but he was okay for a couple of years - thought he was good in 2014 & 15, then started to fall off.

Worsfold played him into the ground in that weird post-saga period where the senior players were given free reign. Him playing in 2019 was madness.

Too many? Wow. I can literally only think of 2 (or 3 if you include El-Hawli..?) in the past 5+ years.

Hibberd was for sure a success. A healthy and prime Hibberd right now would arguably be our best player after Merrett. I can't think of too many others.
SEH, Hunter, Montgomerie, McDonagh, Snelling, Mitch Hibberd, Martin, Jok, Guelfi, Brown, Hartley, Walla, Ambrose. Not counting Duz, Mass or Menzie as they were still teenagers when we drafted them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SEH, Hunter, Montgomerie, McDonagh, Snelling, Mitch Hibberd, Martin, Jok, Guelfi, Brown, Hartley, Walla, Ambrose. Not counting Duz, Mass or Menzie as they were still teenagers when we drafted them.
jmoo wan boy Garrett

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Dept. Talent & Operations Manager Matt Rosa