Talls???

Remove this Banner Ad

They could all end up good players. But I don't even see an up and coming Ash Hansen or Quinten Lynch on our list, so we could be forming a West Coast 2006 midfield and still not be anywhere near good enough for a premiership.

Unless we intend playing Pav until he's 40.

I'd like to see us when we have no Pav and 30 mids fighting for 9-12 spots. I though at least one tall, we will have to wait for the rookie

They could all end up good players. But I don't even see an up and coming Ash Hansen or Quinten Lynch on our list, so we could be forming a West Coast 2006 midfield and still not be anywhere near good enough for a premiership.

Unless we intend playing Pav until he's 40.

Three years ago Cloke was crap. Dawes wasn't anything. What'd Collingwood have? Now look at them. The game's won in the backline, on the rebound and with speed. Good luck to the Dockers. They've obviously chosen to exploit Subiaco oval and get endurance and speed. Hope it works on the smaller grounds.

I still think the forward line is fine. Fyfe will play on a flank in a fully fit team, stick Ballas in the pocket. Griffen at full forward. Pav at CHF. Build the rest around that. The only one needing replacing in the next two or three years is Pav. We're not brilliantly placed, but we aren't as bad off as Port or Brisbane. ;)

Was interested to see Collingwood grabbed nothing less than six foot fivers for all three of their picks. Really worried we missed another chance to grab some quality bean pole future KPPs the same as last year when they failed to grab Darling.
I guess our list management team have runs on the board in recent years, but I'm getting mighty nervous about our shortage of powerful talls.
Don't suppose they're doing a snow job on their "no interest in Fev" line they've been peddling ?!?!??
;)

Just woke up to check what happened. I'm not surprised at all. I said before the draft we would take a lot of these types like Crozier, Markworth, Forster, etc. The stats show that there will likely only be 2 players who turn out to be good KPP after pick 15 in a weak draft.

What does concern me is I rate Geelong almost the best in the business, and they took Kersten and Hamling. I think with Kersten on the board at 29, we should have taken him.

I'd rather the recruiting staff back themselves in.

If they thought the tall talent was lacking then they have done the right thing in choosing the players they think have the talent.

We normally rip apart the rookie draft - let's do it again.

brad-pitt-jonah-hill-filming-moneyball.jpg

We have a incredible rookie draft history, but surely that shouldn't be the main event.

I can see the logic that the way the game is going the utility type players are having the bigger impact and the bigger kids take longer to develop so picking up the skinny kid in the rookie is an appealing prospect.

Over our history we have a habit of overloading in certain areas and neglecting others, at one stage it was KPP. You can help but be a little be frustrated, however as said lets leave it for now in the hands of our experts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have drafted well and through player interviews with the club, the recruiters would have figured out who had the best attitude to come over and play for Freo i.e. Crozier.... maybe. I however, believe we could have picked up Frost at 58 instead of Lachie Neale. Maybe Loyd sees something special in him.

I hope we pick up Frost in the Rookie draft, we do need a key back and forward.

Drafting talls instead of talent gets you Aaron Black instead of Nat Fyfe. I guess you could say it also nabs you Jack Darling over Jayden Pitt, though i think most clubs steered clear of Darling due to medical issues.

Talls picked after the first few picks generally go bust. Particularly tall forwards. I'm not upset at waiting another year to address the talls shortage.

We may wait several years until we fall in a heap and steal an early pick. One could always continue drafting midfielders and target KPP via free trade in the future.

The only descent tall fowards imo were Kersten and Patton. After reading some of Kerstens comments / interviews he comes off as a d1ckhead. Doubt we would of looked past him otherwise.

No use in drafting spud talls just for the sake of it.

Geez, a lot of fuss. There's plenty in the rookie draft to pick up, the club surely knew that they would be there and has their eye on a couple mature age players for KPP as well as some kids.

Yeh im a little surprised we only took 185-187cm players, but the KPP's are usually more hit and miss than midfielders. Can't help but think they want to pick these players in The rookie drafts and hope for the best.

Really got to go and do some work, but had I found out late that Kersten had a bad groin problem, along with the sub-optimal height and somewhat suspect attitude problems, you could understand why they avoided him at the last minute.

The rest of the talls aren't really that easy to dissociated between (Eg. who is better McInnes or Manson - one has hardly played but has good athletic traits whilst the other has played and well but is not to a level of fitness and has question marks on mental application) than the set that have made it to the rookie draft, and given that few of these talls will actually be playing next year, you might as well have them on the cheap until they are of an age that can you can better evaluate them.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/12011749/cats-take-punt-on-a-bulldogs-injury/

An MRI groin scan was one of the key reasons South Fremantle forward Shane Kersten slipped down the pecking order in yesterday's draft.

The long-kicking key forward said a small tear in his groin which showed up in an MRI scared some clubs off, but he was excited to be playing for a powerful club alongside a close friend.

"I'd heard that Richmond and Fremantle were interested but the MRI that I had at the camp probably pushed me back," Kersten said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Talls???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back