Tambling v Roughead/Franklin

Remove this Banner Ad

They were conned by the greatest snake oil salesman the AFL had seen since Kevin Sheedy, and were totally convinced Wallace was the Messiah.

Terry Wallace has always been the most self-centred person I've known through football, even more so than Fevola, and he has always paid the price for his "It's all about me" attitude.
But somehow he always comes out smelling like roses in the media.

Typical media, they don’t know what day of the week it is.

And Sheedy is still selling his snake oil, on our money.

Here are some cold hard facts from the 2009 season for a few of you Hawthorn supporters that have been oh so smug about Draft Picks.

Average Champion Data Points 2009

Tambling 82.9
Roughead 82.8
Franklin 80.5

Champion Data points may not be the be all and end all, but they are a fair indication of how a player is going. Theres a fair case to say Tambling is having a better year than both of them!

Fair Enough.
If we listen to you and only pay attention to the COLD HARD FACTS.
How many flags has Tambling won?
How many finals has he won off his own boot?
How many players in the AFL would say they FEAR to play on him?

If you answer and of the 3 above questions with a number above 0 your a complete idiot

Tambling is not the worst player going around.

His problem is that he was selected too high in the draft by the most self interested, selfish, money hungry and fake tanned coach to have ever coached in the AFL.
You may have forgotten but we almost picked Tambling @ pick 2 and never forget Terry Wallace is an ex Hawthorn premiership player.He is one of us and his son is playing at Box Hill this year,one word RESPECT.

You may have forgotten but we almost picked Tambling @ pick 2 and never forget Terry Wallace is an ex Hawthorn premiership player.He is one of us and his son is playing at Box Hill this year,one word RESPECT.

Rowie6, the Hawks were never going to select Tambling at 2. Our priority was Deledio, and if he was gone we were going to use picks 2 & 5 to secure talls. Even if Tambling was still available at 5, it's doubtful we would have picked him.

As for respecting Wallace, he walked out on our club after the 1986 Grand Final because Jeans had the "audacity" to play him in the back pocket rather than his preferred centre spot. The fact we lost the 2nd Semi and masterminded a 7 goal win in the GF with a re-shuffled line up meant nothing to Terry.

He opted for Richmond, then Footscray where he could play centre and be a big fish in a small pond. Afterall, it's all about Terry.

His inability to view the bigger picture over his own personal needs is what cost him as a player, and ultimately as a coach.

Then, after not being back at the club for 18 years, he uses our club to help secure him a 5 year coaching deal with Richmond. Sorry, but I find it impossible to respect someone like him, no matter how many games he played with the Hawks.

His son is another matter. I will certainly respect him, unless he turns out to be a chip off the old block.

Adelaide Hawk well said and hear, hear regarding 'trust me' glorious 5 year plan teflon 'terry' wallet.

Easily the most hated personality the game's ever seen. And an abject failure as a self-admitted career coach. I truly long for the day he does a lap of the ground eg Grand Final pregame parade and is chorused with much-deserved hateful bile and venom of true football fans. But I won't get started on my deep hatred for 'terry'...

Tambling? You sad richmond packer. You can get all the possessions in the world, you peasant. But what good are they if you don't do anything with them? I'd love you to announce your statistics at any footy game and watch the mob lay into you.

If anyone wants to know why Tambling is so average, they only had to watch him turn the ball over in the first qtr with a looping handball to a teammate under pressure, then stand and watch as his teammate battles on the ground for the ball 5 metres in front of him.

Could you imagine a Joel Slewood doing that, or even a Liam Shiels?

Problem is, he's been allowed to do this his entire career, and was gifted games early on by Wallet, simply becuase he was a high draft pick.

2010 will probably be his last year at Richmond.....who knows what he could do with a good kick up the arse.

Remember Rodan at Richmond? Vs the model now at Port?

Tambling at another club could well push top-50, or even higher. Has the talent, and occassionally shows it, but still plays like a teenager.

Rowie6, the Hawks were never going to select Tambling at 2. Our priority was Deledio, and if he was gone we were going to use picks 2 & 5 to secure talls. Even if Tambling was still available at 5, it's doubtful we would have picked him.

As for respecting Wallace, he walked out on our club after the 1986 Grand Final because Jeans had the "audacity" to play him in the back pocket rather than his preferred centre spot. The fact we lost the 2nd Semi and masterminded a 7 goal win in the GF with a re-shuffled line up meant nothing to Terry.

He opted for Richmond, then Footscray where he could play centre and be a big fish in a small pond. Afterall, it's all about Terry.

His inability to view the bigger picture over his own personal needs is what cost him as a player, and ultimately as a coach.

Then, after not being back at the club for 18 years, he uses our club to help secure him a 5 year coaching deal with Richmond. Sorry, but I find it impossible to respect someone like him, no matter how many games he played with the Hawks.

His son is another matter. I will certainly respect him, unless he turns out to be a chip off the old block.

I have many relatives in Adelaide and they are certain that before he signed with Richmond, he made arrangements for Adelaide Crows board members to fly down to Melbourne and meet with him. When two board members arrived at his house, his wife apparently opened the door, told them Terry wasn't home and he has signed with Richmond.

Now I don't know how true this is, but one of my relatives is close with a board member, so I believe it.

This thread, along with oxygen and cheese slices, are the greatest inventions in the history of the universe.

Life would be much worse without all 3 of them. Considerably so.

How do you almost pick a guy? I understand that there was media coverage of our interest in him, but 'almost picking him' is a not entirely accurate.

Almost pick a guy may include living with the clubs recruiter in for the week leading up to the draft. It may include being told that the club would pick him if still available. Bucky, head man at the time had him locked in.

It all changed when Al C changed the perspective and wanted talls.

Rest assured Tambling to Hawthorn was close, very close. He was considered by many the 2nd most talented player in that draft. I recall some commenting that he could be the best aboriginal player of all time. Deledio wasn't given any real consideration because he was the standout and was always going at 1.

I was certainly all for the Tambling, Franklin combo at the time. With Ruffnut either expected to be snapped up with pick 3 or 4.

If anyones interested in the original thread (got me posting) in 2004, go through to my very first post.. was on the same topic. The thread conveys the thinking of the time. Was very much looking like Tambling or Griffen, with best tall available with next, likely to be Buddy.
I am very happy it worked out the way it did, however as many have stated Bling wouldnt be the first player in the past 20 years who havent fulfilled their potential with the Tiges. Good luck to him I say.

If we’re just going to sink the boots into Wallace and Richmond then I’ll help with another one.

JON, otherwise known as Jarrad Oakley Nicholls. I wanted the Hawks to grab him with our last draft pick or rookie him last year. I then sat back laughing at some of the ‘list mangers’ on here who couldn’t believe he’d been picked up and Thorp wasn’t. (No names, but:p)

Anybody who saw a lot of this kid at junior level knows he can play.
The only problem was at junior level the kids just go out there and play without to much technical stuff scribbled all over a white board telling them how to play footy.

How the hell can Richmond and Wallace have this kid on there list for 4 years and NOT realize that stuff scribbled on a white board means nothing to him and in fact just confuses him.
That is pathetic player management.

Hope he goes well at West Coast since it only took them a week to realize scribbles on a white board mean nothing to the kid and he needs a little bit of extra help to understand exactly what the coach wants him to do.

And suck it Wallace and Richmond if the kid comes good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tambling v Roughead/Franklin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back