Tank?

Remove this Banner Ad

The first 5 picks are good this year were bound to get one of: Scully,Trengove,Butcher,Lucas etc.. maybe theres no need to tank.:)

Exactly:thumbsu:

If past form is anything to by then in a few more years when the AFL are forced to change the rules to reduce/eliminate tanking what will we do then when we are still cellar dwellers? We won't be able to moan because we have brought the rule change on by tanking this year.

Typical nuff nuff only looking ahead one week. Do you want premierships or bragging rights every now and again at the water cooler?
Premierships aren't going to come by tanking. What do you think would happen to a player's confidence if they had to tank - it would be even worse if they didn't know they were tanking. Not the best way to win a premiership.

Hmm WC and Melbourne don't win for the rest of the year and we end up above freo and north. That leaves us with pick 7 not to mention only 1 pick inside the top 20.
How long do you propose that we lose games for, this year, 2010 or right up until the end of 2011?

The reason I ask, is I put the question to another pro tanker in another thread and his reply was to tank this year and then aim for some success next year. I pointed out that tanking for just the remainder of this season is pointless. Getting pick 18 or so for tanking this year is not going to rebuild our list

As you know Beaver, I am against tanking this year, but if we really want to rebuild the list, then lets go down the tanking path for this draft and the next 2, I would be more inclined to support it. Take some real short term pain for long term gain. At worst we would get pick 4/5 in each of the next 3 drafts. Doing this would add 3 top 5 picks plus another 3-4 kids in the 18-30 range not forgetting any gems we pick up with later picks.

Seems like a plan. :)

Hmm WC and Melbourne don't win for the rest of the year and we end up above freo and north. That leaves us with pick 7 not to mention only 1 pick inside the top 20.

Now let me see. Freo will win one more game or WC will lose their PP. Freo and Melbourne play as well. I guess Melbourne wins that. Melbourne also plays North. Hmm, North wins that. WC also plays North. With the above scenario North wins that too. Makes the last round against WC look interesting as well as the game against Melbourne.

It is possible to end up with pick 7 but it is very unlikely.

You don't start the season off with the intention of tanking. Only once the chances of finals are reasonably out of the picture. If we are in that position again like we were in 2008 and like we are now then the only choice is to tank to get rid of the dead wood that wasn't good enough. We did it in 2007, but the problem was that we did not use the draft properly 3 draft picks was a disgrace. We should have traded Schulz for pick 28, kept 19 and we could have cleaned up Cotchin, Rance, Selwood, Whitecross, Morton, Putt. Tanking will get us no-where if we continue to neglect the draft.

If we finish last we can also use the PSD as an advantage too.With a large cull of senior and over paid players at seasons end we could use the PSD to lure a big name.Maybe L.Hodge:D

I think that what people are getting confused with is that they are equating us with Melbourne.

If we were in Melbourne's position, winning two more games would mean they HALVE the advantage they have. That is a huge loss. All we would lose is a couple of positions (big deal) and a post round one draft choice. The latter is absolutely no guarantee that they will be anything. It really is pot luck especially as many think this draft is much thinner due to the non availability of the top bottom age players (5 are off to GC).

I say play the youngsters and play to win. Keep an on field general and tutor like Cousins in the team and get a winning feeling around the club if possible.

Don't do silly things like Ratten "We're playing everyone out of position today because I want to see how they play there (and I know they will never play there again)".

That is tanking. Carltank style. Tankton is not a team I ever want Richmond to emulate.

Long live the Tiges! Play to win.

You don't start the season off with the intention of tanking. Only once the chances of finals are reasonably out of the picture. If we are in that position again like we were in 2008 and like we are now then the only choice is to tank to get rid of the dead wood that wasn't good enough. We did it in 2007, but the problem was that we did not use the draft properly 3 draft picks was a disgrace. We should have traded Schulz for pick 28, kept 19 and we could have cleaned up Cotchin, Rance, Selwood, Whitecross, Morton, Putt. Tanking will get us no-where if we continue to neglect the draft.

Okay Beaver what do you suggest RFC do for the remainder of 09? We are allready playing the kids, should we tell them not to chase the ball for the rest of the year? Tell them not to try too hard?

What happens next year when the coach gives the team a raz for not performing? I can imagine them saying "well it was okay last year to not chase and not try".

Is this the road YOU really want the club to go down?

Okay Beaver what do you suggest RFC do for the remainder of 09? We are allready playing the kids, should we tell them not to chase the ball for the rest of the year? Tell them not to try too hard?

What happens next year when the coach gives the team a raz for not performing? I can imagine them saying "well it was okay last year to not chase and not try".

Is this the road YOU really want the club to go down?
You can never tell players to lose or even go half tilt. Like I've said numerous times that does not happen, the AFL would come down on them like a ton of bricks. It is a myth that tanking is telling players to intentionally lose.

Yes we are playing the kids we are doing the right thing, we need to persist with what we are doing. However if there are players with niggles we know to be long term prospects then we shouldn't hesitate to book them in for surgery early so they are fit and ready come the start of pre-season. The most drastic thing to do is to drag players towards the end of a match and play guys out of position, which would be the last resort for a tanking club. Wallace did that very thing against St.Kilda in 2007 and if he didn't we would not have Trent Cotchin.

I just can't stress enough how important this draft is to our club, we need to maximise our draft position and the number of picks.

A lot of deadwood needs to be cleaned out.

You can never tell players to lose or even go half tilt. Like I've said numerous times that does not happen, the AFL would come down on them like a ton of bricks. It is a myth that tanking is telling players to intentionally lose.

Yes we are playing the kids we are doing the right thing, we need to persist with what we are doing. However if there are players with niggles we know to be long term prospects then we shouldn't hesitate to book them in for surgery early so they are fit and ready come the start of pre-season. The most drastic thing to do is to drag players towards the end of a match and play guys out of position, which would be the last resort for a tanking club. Wallace did that very thing against St.Kilda in 2007 and if he didn't we would not have Trent Cotchin.

I just can't stress enough how important this draft is to our club, we need to maximise our draft position and the number of picks.

A lot of deadwood needs to be cleaned out.

So by playing players who are tired and exhausted and in different positions would you be prepared to see Riewoldt playing tired in the backline, cop an injury and miss part or all of the pre season? What about Cotchin and his history of archillies injurys? As players tire they are more prone and susceptible to getting injured.

Would you be prepared to wear that for pick 5 instead of pick 6?

HUGE risk for a small reward:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Palmer, Rich, Rioli, picks of the crop in recent years. I am not sure it is that easy to pick who will be the best in a draft.

I see no reason for us not to keep trying and achieve as much as we can this season. Whether we get pick 1 or pick 6 we are just as likely to pick a winner .... in fact ... Palmer and Rich were pick 7 ...

I think we should aim to get pick 7 :D

So by playing players who are tired and exhausted and in different positions would you be prepared to see Riewoldt playing tired in the backline, cop an injury and miss part or all of the pre season? What about Cotchin and his history of archillies injurys? As players tire they are more prone and susceptible to getting injured.

Would you be prepared to wear that for pick 5 instead of pick 6?

HUGE risk for a small reward:thumbsdown:
Take your hand off it mate gross over exaggeration here. At least try to be reasonable that attempt at a rebuttal was pathetic.

Take your hand off it mate gross over exaggeration here. At least try to be reasonable that attempt at a rebuttal was pathetic.

So you dismiss any chance of players sustaining injuries by being played in different roles whilst exhausted?

Thank christ you don't work as a fitness trainer, it would be a short career:eek:

considering the AMOUNT of players we need to move on over the next 2 years and the fact drafts are seriously compromised in the coming yrs, I'm stunned there are still ppl who dont want 3 picks inside the top 20 this season.:eek: And why? all in order to win some "awe inspiring games" against tanking sides like Nth, Melb, eagles. FFS get some perspective you lot :rolleyes:

So you dismiss any chance of players sustaining injuries by being played in different roles whilst exhausted?

Thank christ you don't work as a fitness trainer, it would be a short career:eek:
Why are the risks elevated just because they are playing in a different position? You play Riewoldt in defence over the forward line and lo and behold his risks of injury go from normal to catastrophic!

Why are the risks elevated just because they are playing in a different position? You play Riewoldt in defence over the forward line and lo and behold his risks of injury go from normal to catastrophic!

Can't you read? :confused:

AS I ALLREADY MENTIONED the risks are associated with the players being tired and exhausted, but whatever...........................

Was it a good idea in round 1 to leave Cousins out there late in the game when he was tired and tight? Next thing bang hammy and 6 weeks on the sidelines. It has SWFA to do with playing them out of position. You suggested that earlier, I merely disagreed with you.

Yes I am feeling little embarrassed for you:p

9th = pick 8
Jimmy Bartel = pick 8
Pick 8 also gives you some bad players such as JON, and he isn't the on;y shocker their is around their.
The more I think about, what a few more losses in the scheme of things, we always lose anyway, Id rather lose and get somebody like scully to really improve our team then win a few games that mean nothing in the end and remain crap.

Was it a good idea in round 1 to leave Cousins out there late in the game when he was tired and tight? Next thing bang hammy and 6 weeks on the sidelines. It has SWFA to do with playing them out of position. You suggested that earlier, I merely disagreed with you.

Yes I am feeling little embarrassed for you:p
Wow I just feel sorry for you now. I'll try and piece this together for you, I doubt you will understand but I'll try anyway:

- I said play guys out of position so we don't win matches

- to counter the wisdom of this idea, you say "So by playing players who are tired and exhausted and in different positions would you be prepared to see Riewoldt playing tired in the backline, cop an injury and miss part or all of the pre season?"

>> Now by virtue of my original statement that only mentioned playing guys out of position, you have implied that by playing a tired player in a different position their risk of injury is increased. This is your argument against playing guys out of position, pathetic as it is.

You then say this:
"So you dismiss any chance of players sustaining injuries by being played in different roles whilst exhausted?"

You are the one suggesting that it is not a good idea to play guys out of position because they may get injured. But what has changed? Only being played out of position, they would still be playing regardless so that only leaves the change of position as the single changing variable.

ANY REASONABLE PERSON WOULD THINK THAT IS COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY STUPID....oops sorry about the caps lock there leave it on sometimes.

Yeah, I fail to understand how you are more likely to get hurt playing away from your normal spot on the ground.
Completly defies all logic., as does Cotchin achilles flaring up as a result of tanking.

Anyone see Emma Quayle's article in the Melbourne Sunday Age today.

Adelaide never had a top 5 pick.

Geelong never bottomed out.

Essendon never bottomed out.

North Melbourne never bottomed out.

What do all these teams have in common? They are all above Richmond on the ladder.

The only argument some would use is Carlton - but consider this, Fevola was taken as a third rounder at pick 38. Generally, when he is on fire the Blues win the game. Yes they picked up Judd, Murphy, Gibbs and Kruezer by tanking but they haven't won a premiership and look miles off the top 4.

Nothing beats creating a winning culture.

Richmond's problem has and will be for the forseeable future our development once we get them. I guarantee if WCE or Adelaide had picked up JON they wouldn't have played him for 3 years until he was ready to play at the elite level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back