Strategy TARYN THOMAS- ..would ya?

Taryn Thomas- would ya?

• Yes

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • No

Votes: 54 68.4%
  • Would support a Club appraisal of his character.

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So… he says, ducking the flying tomatoes.
Was thinking about Kosi and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ve probably got more chance of chooks flying outve my arse than us finding a young tall marking forward in the next few years that will be successful at AFL level.
The odds are too heavily stacked against it, IMO.

If you think about the volume of F50 entries that go in looking for a tall forward to mark and goal, compared to looking to a small/med forward marking and scoring. Your more likely to score that way. Probably because they can win 1v1 ground balls and score that way as well.
Plus the fact you have more of them.
Dusty,Bolton,Green,Mcarthy etc,etc,etc
I know Coleman medal winners 9/10 are marking fwds but the fact is even if your FF kicks 3-4 goals you still probably need another 10 to win against a high scoring team.

So with 24 of our players outve contract at the end of this season and if the Brother Boys wanted to play with him.
Would you put an offer infront of him?

Come at me.

Taryn Thomas

A talented midfielder-forward, Thomas’ rangy 189-centimetre frame gives him the size to contest strongly in the air, and the athleticism and agility to excel at ground level.

North Melbourne debut: Round 2, 2019
Career Brownlow votes: 10

2023: Due to off-field circumstances, Thomas didn’t feature in the AFL side until Round 12, but he quickly produced some of the best football of his growing career.

He was exceptional against the Giants in his second week back in the senior team, kicking three goals from 19 disposals, and he earned best-on-ground plaudits after notching 25 touches, 12 score involvements, nine inside 50s, five clearances, and two goals against the Tigers in Round 23.

And a week later, from just 22 possessions, Thomas tallied 10 clearances and 10 score involvements.

No No No GIF

Completely off the cuff with no real knowledge of his behavior ...

I think the question is bigger than football ... if our environment could create the space that would provide for Thomas to accept there is a problem leading to him changing his attitude and problematic behavior that would be of benefit to the community as a whole ...

You would want some senior members of our organization to have spent time with him and started this process well before the time came to make a decision on football.

Facing charges (of a completely different nature) Pickett may be the right person with others like Nankervis Lambert Ivan Maric and members of our AFLW program to engage with him.

What I am saying is that you would have to be confident that you could rehabilitate the person before you considered the football.

Stack, Harley Bennell, Pickett of course, Tyson Stengle, Cousins ... there are lots of examples of different natures and varying successes in rehabilitation, for lack of a better word.

You can see an outcome where the process could be widely beneficial ... for example working in our KM institute and the truth telling about where he has gone wrong and the impact on himself and others

Interesting to see whether we involve ourselves at all.

Poll probably needs some other options because I ain't either Yes or No ... I would need to know more

Last edited:
So… he says, ducking the flying tomatoes.
Was thinking about Kosi and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ve probably got more chance of chooks flying outve my arse than us finding a young tall marking forward in the next few years that will be successful at AFL level.
The odds are too heavily stacked against it, IMO.

If you think about the volume of F50 entries that go in looking for a tall forward to mark and goal, compared to looking to a small/med forward marking and scoring. Your more likely to score that way. Probably because they can win 1v1 ground balls and score that way as well.
Plus the fact you have more of them.
Dusty,Bolton,Green,Mcarthy etc,etc,etc
I know Coleman medal winners 9/10 are marking fwds but the fact is even if your FF kicks 3-4 goals you still probably need another 10 to win against a high scoring team.

So with 24 of our players outve contract at the end of this season and if the Brother Boys wanted to play with him.
Would you put an offer infront of him?

Come at me.

Taryn Thomas

A talented midfielder-forward, Thomas’ rangy 189-centimetre frame gives him the size to contest strongly in the air, and the athleticism and agility to excel at ground level.

North Melbourne debut: Round 2, 2019
Career Brownlow votes: 10

2023: Due to off-field circumstances, Thomas didn’t feature in the AFL side until Round 12, but he quickly produced some of the best football of his growing career.

He was exceptional against the Giants in his second week back in the senior team, kicking three goals from 19 disposals, and he earned best-on-ground plaudits after notching 25 touches, 12 score involvements, nine inside 50s, five clearances, and two goals against the Tigers in Round 23.

And a week later, from just 22 possessions, Thomas tallied 10 clearances and 10 score involvements.
What if we bring him in and he manages to screw with Boltons head and he goes off the rails. Remember when Dusty started and he was hanging out with some Richmond player and they apparently got into the sleeping tablets and missed training. That player got the flick Disruptive players can do a lot of damage. Is Thomas that good that we should take the risk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if we bring him in and he manages to screw with Boltons head and he goes off the rails. Remember when Dusty started and he was hanging out with some Richmond player and they apparently got into the sleeping tablets and missed training. That player got the flick Disruptive players can do a lot of damage. Is Thomas that good that we should take the risk
Good point.
I don’t know the answer to that question.

But if the club, players and FD think it’s worth considering and it came about that he wore a Richmond jumper.
I’d back the clubs decision.

Great points ... risks are huge ... incredible footballer in his prime ... does he have connections with any of our indigenous players already?

Brendon Gale is leaving .. will a new CEO have the appetite for the potential challenges

Great points ... risks are huge ... incredible footballer in his prime ... does he have connections with any of our indigenous players already?
Don’t know
Thomas came through the Tassie academy…that’s a feeder for North.

I found it odd that Kane Cornes said that the "obvious" club for him was the Scats. We have as good, if not better record with troubled players in the recent past than they have. We've also shown more propensity to take players on with chequered backgrounds than what the Scats have too. I didn't see them lining up to take Sydney Stack ?

Plus we already have a significant core group of experienced (in life and footy) Aboriginal players at the club. Finally I believe Rhyan Mansell is Taryn Thomas's first cousin (happy to be corrected on this) so if anywhere is a logical or "obvious" club for him to land at, surely it's Richmond.

That's not advocating for him by the way, the jury is out for me and I'm leaning towards "don't touch him with a barge pole", just another example of Kane's weird Scatty view of the world.

Thomas and his sh.t behaviour is his sh.t behaviour and not a reflection on North at all.
What I will say is I’ve heard that Ziebell had never seen a playing group publicly take responsibility for a poor effort before like our players did in the rooms after the Port game this year.

Pies chasing LDU apparently

You know who I would think about.

Blake Hardwick. FA end of the year. 27 or so. I just think for us he could be a missing piece. He can play back but also forward. He theoretically could compliment Bolton and also our bigger forwards, provides some toughness and composure. He looks comfortable forward which you cannot say for a lot of players. Is clearly not afraid to kick a goal which is a big bonus. I did not realise he could play forward until this week. For me that changes everything for him as a player especially regarding fit at RFC in terms of the mix. At times he could strengthen our backline as well as our forward line depending on combinations, he is not young, but, he gives us time to pinch a possible premiership here or there, especially for Yze and could allow us to modify style of play. I see steadiness in the forward half with him amongst other roles, could be invaluable for us because we roll a little loose at times. Would not put out Dusty either. I think it could be a Townsend scenario for us in a slightly different way

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy TARYN THOMAS- ..would ya?

Back