Discussion Tasmania AFL Jumper Design

Remove this Banner Ad

OIG (2).jpeg
that lion moniker looks insanely good wtf

It would be awesome if they upgraded to this, but was it the Fitzroy fans that got upset when they changed the lion previously?
I guess it depends on how strict the members would be with keeping with tradition. Obviously the Paddle-pop Lion was a bit of a step too far from tradition, but surely a simple update of the Fitzroy Lion would be acceptable if it followed the same type of design style as the original such as in the AI version. Just as an outsider it would be nice to see the old design be given some new life.

Last edited:
yeah the current lion they use is what is required in the merger agreement
It raises the almost philosophical question of is the 'Fitzroy Lion' in that agreement the literal design itself or the general concept and idea of it. I wonder if Roylion might have a bit of insight, and what do you think personally on the matter of small/minor alterations to the Fitzroy Lion as a long-time supporter?

It raises the almost philosophical question of is the 'Fitzroy Lion' in that agreement the literal design itself or the general concept and idea of it. I wonder if Roylion might have a bit of insight, and what do you think personally on the matter of small/minor alterations to the Fitzroy Lion as a long-time supporter?
My general view is that we replace any non-corporate logo with it and only it. Polish it up a bit maybe, but leave it the exact same shape, etc if we can. Every time I see merch with our current logo, i cringe. It's fine, but our passant Lion is pretty iconic, and without a wordmark it is a strong symbol in and of itself.

It raises the almost philosophical question of is the 'Fitzroy Lion' in that agreement the literal design itself or the general concept and idea of it.

It is the literal design itself.

"The Fitzroy lion logo" has been trademarked at least four times including:
1) Trade mark 415755, registered on 26 September 1984 by the VFL (when Fitzroy were part of the competition), - registered until 2025.
2) Trade mark 547027, registered on 15 October 1992 (again when Fitzroy were part of the competition);
3) Trade mark 751045, lodged on 16 December 1997 and registered on 8 September 2000 (after the 1996 'merger');
4) Trade mark 841774 lodged on 7 July 2000 (for the new Brisbane Lions logo) and registered on 15 March 2002;

For the 1984 one, see
LIONS FITZROY FOOTBALL CLUB A Trademark 415755 - Trademark Alertz

The first two trademarks are referred specifically as LIONS FITZROY FOOTBALL CLUB A

And represented as such:

415755.jpg

The Lion is described as:
(i) in trade Mark 547027 as “Lion, Paw on Football”; and
(ii) in trade Marks 751045 and 841774 as “Lion Standing, Paw on Ball;” and

The registration of this trade mark shall give no right to the exclusive use of the letter A, the device of a FOOTBALL, and the words FITZROY FOOTBALL CLUB. Registration of the coloured trade mark in the series is limited to the colours shown in the represent.....is depicted in the colours RED, BLUE, GOLD and WHITE.
I wonder if Roylion might have a bit of insight, and what do you think personally on the matter of small/minor alterations to the Fitzroy Lion as a long-time supporter?
Opposed to any alteration of the Lion in any shape or form.

It is the literal design itself.

"The Fitzroy lion logo" has been trademarked at least four times including:
1) Trade mark 415755, registered on 26 September 1984 by the VFL (when Fitzroy were part of the competition), - registered until 2025.
2) Trade mark 547027, registered on 15 October 1992 (again when Fitzroy were part of the competition);
3) Trade mark 751045, lodged on 16 December 1997 and registered on 8 September 2000 (after the 1996 'merger');
4) Trade mark 841774 lodged on 7 July 2000 (for the new Brisbane Lions logo) and registered on 15 March 2002;

For the 1984 one, see
LIONS FITZROY FOOTBALL CLUB A Trademark 415755 - Trademark Alertz

The first two trademarks are referred specifically as LIONS FITZROY FOOTBALL CLUB A

And represented as such:

415755.jpg

The Lion is described as:
(i) in trade Mark 547027 as “Lion, Paw on Football”; and
(ii) in trade Marks 751045 and 841774 as “Lion Standing, Paw on Ball;” and

The registration of this trade mark shall give no right to the exclusive use of the letter A, the device of a FOOTBALL, and the words FITZROY FOOTBALL CLUB. Registration of the coloured trade mark in the series is limited to the colours shown in the represent.....is depicted in the colours RED, BLUE, GOLD and WHITE.

Opposed to any alteration of the Lion in any shape or form.
Thanks Roy, very interesting indeed

Just to get away from the Tassie State colours for a bit, had an idea for of a two-tone green colour scheme, what do we think?
View attachment 1825089
i genuinely think this is the way to go for tassie. no one (currently) wears any shade of green, and green is somewhat synonymous with tasmania.

i genuinely think this is the way to go for tassie. no one (currently) wears any shade of green, and green is somewhat synonymous with tasmania.

Green and white would be very vibrant and really stand out in the crowd like the swans and roos fans do.

I actually think team 20 (Canberra) should have green in it as well (as it's the most under utilised common colour in the AFL), so it's important to consider possible green combinations on Tassie, to leave some options open for Canberra too.

Possible combinations for green teams:

Green and white (Celtic)
Green and black (Western United)

Green, red and yellow (traditional tassie)
Green, red and white (rabbitohs, looks good)

Green, orange and white (Irish)
Green, blue and yellow (Australian)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks good, but there would have to be some tangible explanation for the surfboard / shield shape I reckon
oh yeah it was just a random shape design I had as a placeholder for the colour scheme but I had an idea for putting the Devil head in it similar to that 2008 Hawks clash guernsey
1696734187356.png

Just to get away from the Tassie State colours for a bit, had an idea for of a two-tone green colour scheme, what do we think?
View attachment 1825089
As a Tasmanian, I think 2 tone green is the way to go, we need to separate from the current state colours, I do think we should have the current 'T' logo represented either on the heart or at the back of the jumper, similar to the bulldogs F.F.C.....every two tone green jumper posted share has been great.....even a two tone green vertical stripe like North, Pies, Hawks would be elite

Could you please do a red yellow version with blue accent and chuck it in one of the many suns jumper threads?
Gold Coast Snus.png
Posted on Gold Coast Suns rebrand thread too :)

View attachment 1825089
I am all aboard for something like this. I like the idea of green, I don't like the idea of state colours. Dark green, a lighter green and/or a white will look fantastic IMO.

You will find me camping outside IP Australia in late 2025 waiting for the trademark to expire so I can swoop in and snatch it :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Tasmania AFL Jumper Design

Remove this Banner Ad

Back