TAS Tasmania - Call AFL's bluff - bankroll an A-League club and we'll get our team

Remove this Banner Ad

Or keep everyone happy:

Upgrade York Park to 35k+ - put an AFL team there
Build a new 20k+ rectangular stadium in Hobart - put an A-League team there

Perhaps also:
Play 1-2 AFL games a season at Bellerive
Play 1-2 A-League games a season at York Park

So just add capacity to North Hobart 'oval'?

Tassie does have the support for an AFL team, with 15,000 to 25,000 attending Hawthorn games you are no worse off really than Port Adelaide. But having said that, don't forget that the SANFL own AAMMI, and when you own such a facility many opportunities begin to open up. Also be aware that both the Crows and Power are SANFL clubs that play in the AFL competition. The booty is the SANFL's and each SANFL league club is a equal share holder in the two AFL licenses.

All AFL draftee's to either AFL francise are divided amonst the SANFL league clubs in a mini draft, not unlike the AFL one with the worst performing clubs getting first pick.

I hate to say it, but for Tasmania's future as an AFL state, it is the SANFL that is the step you need to take. Why? Firstly SA has a lot to gain from getting wider exposure of its game outside of its own state borders. Secondly the SANFL has a record of supporting and developing grass roots football so its support in developing a strong Tasmanian local football league would have been high on its agenda. Thirdly, the standard of SANFL football is widely held has the second strongest competition after that of the AFL and offers an excellent development of local football talent. Fourthly, by joining the SANFL the Devils would automatically increase their player sallary cap and poaching players from the VFL competition from across the strait and delisted AFL players to bolster local ranks would have expidited the team set up, not to mention existing expats already playing in the SANFL.

The path to a Tasmanian AFL based team from then on would have been a fairly simple step with the SANFL taking out the license for a third SANFL AFL license for a Tasmamian based club. Its draftee's split among all SANFL League teams including the Devils. Players drawn for the new Tasmanian AFL team would be originally drawn from the entire SANFL competition, as were those originally for the Crows and later the Power, plus any high profile recruits such as current Tasmanian expats currently on other AFL lists targeted.

Now of course is was not a plan for 2008 or 2009, but 2012, yes this could be a real possibility. The SANFL is the oldest continuing league competition in Australia (1877) and its integrity is jealously guarded, so joining it is not just a matter of posturing, threatenning unholly consequences, and calling bluffs, but could be open to a long term well thought out proposal for the devlopment of Tasmainian Football.

If joining the AFL was a priority when Demetriou visited Tassie last year and this VFL/SA split got resolved, I wonder what the outcome would have been...I also wonder what the nuts and bolts of a Tasmanian SANFL back AFL side would be...would they insist on certain games being played at Footy Park...? It doesn't resolve certain Tas intrastate issues, but it does look like a nicer financial model than the theories being put forward at present...there was a lot to like in that SA proposal, and you could tell the SANFL were genuine about it...15 years to reject the NT, they don't jump in without looking...mind you, I'm sceptical that SA's graces would extend so far as to give Tasmania the sort of AFL scope the state wants...we already have games played there, the thing being asked for is a "Tasmanian side"...would this eventuate from the SANFL...?

Maybe the Mercury could set up a membership hotline in Tassie and set a target to reach over say 12 months to prove to the AFL they can have bigger membership bases then current AFL clubs.

Could they get 35k-40k if they promote the crap out of it?

Refund supporters of the proposed new Tassie AFL Franchise if AFL still say no.

If they can't get enough numbers to sign up then maybe they should wait a bit longer. Maybe teh AFL could put it to them and set the standard if they are serious.

I'm all for a Tassie team and believe it will unite Taswedians like never before. It would make an awesome interstate trip for VIC fans to put the car on the Spirit or catch a flight with your family or friends to go and spend the weekend in Tassie and fly the flag for your team in a hostile environment. I would love it as a annual away trip to go and watch my team play interstate which would be cheap and easy. It's AFL overseas after all.:)

Maybe the Mercury could set up a membership hotline in Tassie and set a target to reach over say 12 months to prove to the AFL they can have bigger membership bases then current AFL clubs.

If they can't get enough numbers to sign up then maybe they should wait a bit longer. Maybe teh AFL could put it to them and set the standard if they are serious.

Surprised that hasn't come up before. If they could sell 35k provisional memberships at, say, $200 a piece - fully refundable if no team eventuates and convertible into a full membership in the first year if it does, then that'd be the best way to show the public supports the team.

I'm all for a Tassie team and believe it will unite Taswedians like never before. It would make an awesome interstate trip for VIC fans to put the car on the Spirit or catch a flight with your family or friends to go and spend the weekend in Tassie and fly the flag for your team in a hostile environment. I would love it as a annual away trip to go and watch my team play interstate which would be cheap and easy. It's AFL overseas after all.:)

This is brilliant. Even 25K would make them viable. Surely Western Sydney would struggle to get close to that.

On the mid-90s the Mockery ran a "Tassie Ten Thousand" program. No money was involved, just sign a pledge. I don't think they got 5000, they might have got just over that.

Thanks for the reply Gibbke. You raise some important issues with what the SANFL might expect in return for support of a SANFL based Tasmanian AFL side. Firstly I am not in a position to answer that, but at the least they would expect the major cut out of the francise for sure. However having said that, as a SANFL member Tasmanian football would hold some stake in the other two SANFL AFL licenses, namely the Crows and the Power and receive revenues from those licenses.

The bigger issue here is that the Devils are struggling at VFL level. How they will turn this into a successful AFL franchise is I think fanciful, and I think has little chance of having on field success. This could be very counter productive and would I think require even greater support afforded to the Lions and Sydney and it was some time to get those clubs up and running. And they were relocated infrastucture not started from scratch. Then let's not forget the energy needed for the proposed expansion, and you can see why Tassie is off the radar. You have no choice, you'll have to put yourselves back in the picture.

If the entry is via the SANFL then it becomes the SANFL's worry about getting the team competitive and the AFL can go about its plans in Western Sydney and Southern Queensland unimpeeded, so it has the attraction of getting Tassie onboard without further stretching the AFL overheads. The SANFL is strong enough to cope and has a very good player base that include currently some outstanding Tasmanian expats.

The problem with staying in the VFL is that how can you make a bigger case for Tassie joining the AFL than for Bendigo/Ballarat, particularly given Geelongs success. The fact of course is that Victoria will in all likelyhood reduce it's AFL licenses over the next few years and not increase them. There in lies Tassies problem. It's a Victorian club looking to enter the AFL with no strategic or economic advantage over any of its direct competitors. To be in the AFL they will simply have to have it, so they need to find a backer. That backer will want something in return no matter who they are. If the Devils become part of the SANFL then the SANFL will want to grow into Tasmania, grassroots and all.

The strategic adavantage to Tasmania of the SANFL over the VFL comp lies cheifly in the higher sallary cap enjoyed by the SANFL clubs over their rivals in both the VFL and WAFL. With this edge they can build a soild foundation for the SANFL and then one for the AFL. I am afraid it will have to be in that order, anything else is unrealistic and guaranteed to scare away any potential finacial backer. This situation won't last forever, so Tasmania needs to get its bike into gear and make some decisions. They need to start with a plan.
Where do we want be?
How are we going to acheive this?
What will we need to do to acheive this?
Who will our partners need to be? etc etc etc.
Going it alone is a pipe dream as most posters here have already conceded. "Build it and they will come," is folly at best.

As I would see it, the Hawlks roll in Tasmania remains vital. Seems to me we have that famous two city rivalry here, and both have a case. Let's jump ahead 15 years and assume all I have written actually happens, and what it might look like. I'd suggest here that the SANFL based Devils play out of Launceston on the opposite week to the Tassie AFL side in Hobart. The Hawlks play their four contacted matches in Launceston, but alternatively to the Tasmanian AFL team in Hobart. So Launceston hosts 4 Hawlks AFL games and say 8 SANFL games a year, while Hobart hosts 12 AFL games. Now there's also no reason why you can't split the the Hawlks games between Launceston and Hobart and have 2 Tasmanian AFL games in Launceston. That's 24 games per year involving a combined Tasmanian club, of which 16, the majority, of which would be AFL games.

As for AAMMI. It may come into the equation if Tassie were playing in a final, but that's assuming you'd get a much bigger crowd there for what ever reason, eg playing the Crows or Power, or the Tasmanian grounds were for whatever reason deemed unsuitable to host a final. But that's a far cry from today isn't it? And if we South Australians relied only on South Australians to be in our AFL teams I think we might have a little trouble being competitive, of course the players in the Crows and Power teams come from all over the country even Fiji, and so would those in the Tasmanian AFL team. Name one 100% home grown AFL team? There are none. That's why it's the AFL.

Tasmania is making a profit on the current Hawthorn deal due to the influx of people and business related to the games played down there.

Is it? Figures I saw bandied about talked about total spend. Not sure how payments to airlines and many hotels that are owned by institutions/non Tasmanians can be counted in Tas profit.

Such claims have always been made re the Grand Prix in Melbourne. They rarely stand up to real analysis.

On the mid-90s the Mockery ran a "Tassie Ten Thousand" program. No money was involved, just sign a pledge. I don't think they got 5000, they might have got just over that.

Petitions lead to no-where, a membership hotline promoted well all over Australia with an actuall target that they can set themselves and call on all supporters to reach this target if you want your own team.

They have to promote it right, thats all.

Even if they got 30,000 and got their own team in say 10 years that figure would only increase significantly with people who jump on the bandwagon when they see their team run onto an AFL venue.

Can you imagine being an AFL player down there, you would be a megastar and pulled up in the street every minute. The team would be all over the TV and Papers igniting passion into a state that doesn't get much to talk about. I've been there a few times and thats what Tassie need. Something they can be proud of and follow passionately.

I've been there a few times and thats what Tassie need. Something they can be proud of and follow passionately.
And I lived there for 26 years, meeting nobody that would switch clubs. Sure, the kids would grow up following the side (if they live in the half of the state the club is based); but that is hopefully true of places where the AFL isn't already taking away every sporting dollar.

The FFA would be crazy not to start an A-League team in Tassie, so hopefully some of the youngsters from there can press on to push for Socceroos selection.

After all, can you imagine Kewell running down the flank, then crossing the ball into the box, for a striker with two heads ready to bury it into the net?

Sensational.

The problems an A-League club would have are two-fold:
- Tasmania has less immigration and is more conservative in terms of social change (obviously this is a generalisation); making an en masse jump to a second code less likely and soccer is less accepted than in other states. That said, soccer is making advances and now has more juniors playing than Australian Football does (something which has been the case in all other states for at least 20 years)
- the longer term. An A-League side is a good option for now, because its less expensive than an AFL side and (just) within Tasmania's capability of paying for. But the A-League expects tp grow, and it will be more expensive to run a club as it tries harder to compete for talent with other Asian leagues. Tasmania probably would not be able to survive when that begins.

That said, an A-League team playing out of North Hobart Oval (and perhaps York Park) is the only option of getting into any national competition of any football code.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problems an A-League club would have are two-fold:
- Tasmania has less immigration and is more conservative in terms of social change (obviously this is a generalisation); making an en masse jump to a second code less likely and soccer is less accepted than in other states. That said, soccer is making advances and now has more juniors playing than Australian Football does (something which has been the case in all other states for at least 20 years)

Sigh. No, it hasn't. SA, WA and Victoria all have substantially more kids playing Australian football than soccer.

You may be right, but that doesn't gel with what I seem to recall reading in various places (and not soccer publications).

It is a classic myth. ABS figures do not back it up.
By all means, go and have a look yourself. You don't need to take my word for it. The ABS site is pretty easy to navigate around.

All I could find was this from 2003. Can't be right, can it? Or are we turning into a nation of pansies?

Sports with most participants

The most popular sport for children was swimming with a participation rate of 17% (439,100) followed by outdoor soccer (13% or 355,900). For boys, the most popular sports were outdoor soccer (22% or 301,100), swimming (16% or 213,600), Australian Rules football (14% or 184,200), tennis (9% or 128,300), outdoor cricket (9% or 124,200) and basketball (9% or 116,100). For girls, the most popular sports were netball (18% or 233,000), swimming (17% or 225,500), tennis (8% or 100,100) and basketball (7% or 88,900).

It's been like that for years and years. The AFL use the soccer junior system to funnel kids into theirs. More recently they have been focusing on getting them form the beginning though, through Auskick.

You see soccer participation taper as the kids get older, while the AR participants stay fairly solid by comparison.

Yeah, but now, soccer has a pathway, meaning that kids who play it have somewhere to go.

Incidentally...

1.jpg

5du0po55df46412nobb.png

yq65c0fslkia7d3ojch1.png

You see soccer participation taper as the kids get older, while the AR participants stay fairly solid by comparison.
Whilst that is true, I think that has more to do with the fact that historically there was never a true pathway for Soccer players in Australia.

The NSL wasn't a popular league, was only semi-professional and wasn't really an option. There was no youth structure in place and Soccer was still seen as a non-mainstream sport.

All that has now changed. Soccer has become very mainstream since the inception of the A-League.

Kicking off this year is the National Youth League, which will only get bigger (in terms of number of teams) which means there are more options for the best junior players to get into the "system". Coming up through the juniors kids can now see that career path.

Add to that the popularity of the Socceroos has gone thru the roof and there are now a whole new generation of kids who, in the past might have dropped Soccer when they got to their teenage years, are now staying with the game and dreaming of playing for their country and their A-League side.

Even in the womens game, the new W-League creates a path for the best young women in Australia. It mightn't be overly lucrative at the moment, but it will only grow bigger and give young girls something to aspire to.

The sleeping giant is slowly awakening!

Looking at the ERASS annual report 2006, there are more football players than soccer players in Tasmania. 17,100 compared to 14,500.

Looking at all the states, football is only lagging behind soccer in ACT, NSW and QLD. The main difference is in NSW, where soccer absolutely creams football in participation rates.

Football will be the most popular participation football code when we get even a small percentage of soccers participation in Sydney.

All I could find was this from 2003. Can't be right, can it? Or are we turning into a nation of pansies?

Sports with most participants

The most popular sport for children was swimming with a participation rate of 17% (439,100) followed by outdoor soccer (13% or 355,900). For boys, the most popular sports were outdoor soccer (22% or 301,100), swimming (16% or 213,600), Australian Rules football (14% or 184,200), tennis (9% or 128,300), outdoor cricket (9% or 124,200) and basketball (9% or 116,100). For girls, the most popular sports were netball (18% or 233,000), swimming (17% or 225,500), tennis (8% or 100,100) and basketball (7% or 88,900).

And then this from 2007. WTF?

You are joking aren't you? Surely no-one with an interest in one sport vs the other is unaware that football (the round ball type) has been the nations dominant participation sport since.. forever?? Or are your AFL blinkers that narrow? Let me guess, you actually believe AFL is popular in South Africa and Dubai as well?

Whilst that is true, I think that has more to do with the fact that historically there was never a true pathway for Soccer players in Australia.

[...]

The sleeping giant is slowly awakening!

+1!

It was never about the sport itself - it was the organisation/people running it and the lack of corporate/media support.

Anyway, this is for another thread. To get back on topic, how about this for a confused translation?

http://www.smartbrief.com/news/nca/...A&copyid=C4C47164-1247-441E-8904-62B79CF3CC6F
Mars supports soccer team from Tasmania

NCA SmartBrief | 08/01/2008
Mars committed $4 million to sponsoring a future Tasmanian soccer team. It will repackage 3 million of its Mars bars as Believe bars in Australia, which will list a phone number for fans to call in support for a Tasmanian team.

Mate, you can do anything with statistics.
Almost anything.

You can't make the AFL the sport with the most participants.

No doubt the AFL is the most popular sport across the country if you look at things like attendances, FTA ratings (not Pay TV ratings though), members and money coming into the game.

The simple fact is though that in Australia more people play Football (round ball) than play AFL. That is an undisputed FACT.

Remove this Banner Ad

TAS Tasmania - Call AFL's bluff - bankroll an A-League club and we'll get our team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back