tigersfan11

Senior List
Aug 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coburg Tigers
Does anyone know if they are what so any chance of becoming the 18th team?

Surely the A.F.L know that another team in Sydney wont work, don't get me started on all the reasons.

And with Tasmania already having Mars a huge sponsor designing Mars Bar wrappers saying believe (for a tassie team).

Clearly the Demitriou should give up on his plans on Western Sydney.

Have they prgressed any further? Are they a chance?

Sorry West Sydney is a far more enticing prospect then Tassie (biggest population growth in Australia)

Also I question whether there is enough quality players coming out of Tassie anyway ?
Apart from Jack Riewoldt, I don't think there has been any decent Tassie kids drafted in the last few years, and the Tassie VFL side was a flop ...

Sorry to say it, but Tasmania won't get an AFL side, not whilst Vlad is running it ..

Does anyone know if they are what so any chance of becoming the 18th team?

Surely the A.F.L know that another team in Sydney wont work, don't get me started on all the reasons.

And with Tasmania already having Mars a huge sponsor designing Mars Bar wrappers saying believe (for a tassie team).

Clearly the Demitriou should give up on his plans on Western Sydney.

Have they prgressed any further? Are they a chance?

No chance at all. Right or wrong the AFL is committed to Western Sydney and are not going to be convinced by anything to change that.

Sorry West Sydney is a far more enticing prospect then Tassie (biggest population growth in Australia)

Also I question whether there is enough quality players coming out of Tassie anyway ?
Apart from Jack Riewoldt, I don't think there has been any decent Tassie kids drafted in the last few years, and the Tassie VFL side was a flop ...

Sorry to say it, but Tasmania won't get an AFL side, not whilst Vlad is running it ..

Grant Birchall played ok. Simon Wiggins doesn't do too badly for us CP. There was a whole list of them in the local paper the other day, can't reel them off the top of my head, but there have been a few. Certainly far more than west sydney has produced anyway.

West Sydney has a much bigger market potential than Tassie, by a fair margin. I reckon there should be a tassie team, but for now it doesn't look likely. The only way I see it is if a team relocates or folds which will allow for a Tassie team.

West Sydney has a much bigger market potential than Tassie, by a fair margin. I reckon there should be a tassie team, but for now it doesn't look likely. The only way I see it is if a team relocates or folds which will allow for a Tassie team.

Lets hope North do ;)

LOL im only kiddin:D

Tassie will get there own team , i just think though it will be a team from Melbourne moving there , can't see the AFL starting a 19th franchise to to let them in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Current chances of a Tassie side are tiny (even the state govt has admitted they have given up on being the 18th, it was the day after that when Mars made their cycnical play knowing full well they would get huge publicity and never have to put up the money), and as time goes on Tassie's chances will shrink further due to long term population and economic growth being far below the national average.

Brodie Holland, Brad Green and Russell Robertson are all Tasmanians, Nick Davis's dad was Tasmanian and Nick Riewoldt spent his childhood years in Tassie. We've had former greats of the game like Peter Hudson and Alistair Lynch. In this year's draft a player named Mitch Robinson looks like he'll be drafted quite early. There are also other Tassie players like Justin Sherman and Sam Lonergan who could continue to improve. Please feel free to add any other names.
The VFL team was ran by the governing body of football in Tasmania. We are now having a league statewide that should be ready to go by next year. The governing body of football in Tasmania would have little, if anything to do with running an AFL team in Tasmania.
For the record it's obvious we are highly unlikely to get the 18th AFL team. More chance of Bangladesh winning the cricket world cup in 2011.

Current chances of a Tassie side are tiny (even the state govt has admitted they have given up on being the 18th, it was the day after that when Mars made their cycnical play knowing full well they would get huge publicity and never have to put up the money), and as time goes on Tassie's chances will shrink further due to long term population and economic growth being far below the national average.

What? Tassie's economy is outperforming the national economy and the population is growing all the time. At least get your facts right!

What? Tassie's economy is outperforming the national economy and the population is growing all the time. At least get your facts right!
No it hasn't.

The graph is of real GDP per captia of the Australian States and New Zealnd over time.
fig-5.1-large.jpg

http://www.med.govt.nz/upload/53560/fig-5.1-large.jpg

This graph is the change in real GDP per captia relative to the level of real GDP per captia in 1990
image114.jpg

http://www.med.govt.nz/upload/53549/image114.jpg

Not only does Tasmania have the lowest real GDP per captia is also has the lowest growth in real GDP per captia

Tassie's economy is, at present, outperforming most other states.
But that is not the trend longer term, or the outlook. Its a minor positive blip, more of a freak occurrence than anything to plan the future around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Tasmania Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back