Tasmanian Football Results: August 20-21.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
SFL Premier League
Qualifying Final
Clarence 13.15.93 - North Hobart 10.8.68 at North Hobart Oval
Elimination Final
Glenorchy 16.6.102 - Kingborough 1.9.15 at KGV Football Park

SFL Regional League
First Semi Final
Huonville Lions 19.11.125 - Dodges Ferry 14.15.99 at Shark Park
Second Semi Final
Cygnet 16.11.107 - Kermandie 13.8.86 at Cygnet Rec. Ground

NTFL
Devonport 24.20.164 - Wynyard 3.0.18 at Devonport Oval
Launceston 23.18.156 - East Devonport 6.3.39 at Windsor Park
North Launceston 15.19.109 - Ulverstone 12.5.77 at Aurora Stadium
Latrobe 29.19.193 - Penguin 10.8.68 at Latrobe Rec. Ground
South Launceston 12.19.91 - Smithton 10.8.68 at Youngtown Oval
Bye: Burnie Dockers

NTFA - Division One
Scottsdale Magpies 16.6.102 - Deloraine 13.5.83 at Deloraine Racecourse Ground
Hillwood 20.15.135 - Bracknell 8.9.57 at Hillwood Rec. Ground
Rocherlea 10.18.78 - Bridgenorth 11.9.75 at Parrot Park
George Town 24.27.171 - Longford 7.7.49 at Blue Gum Park

NTFA - Division Two
First Semi Final
Perth - St Patricks at Youngtown Oval (Sunday)
Second Semi Final
University-Mowbray 16.15.111 - Campbell Town 6.6.42 at Evandale Rec. Ground

ODFA
Bothwell 18.21.129 - Oatlands 6.3.39 at Oatlands Oval
Mount Pleasant 13.10.88 - Triabunna 8.6.54 at Pawtella Football Ground**
Bye: Swansea
** Final match to be played at the Pawtella (Mount Pleasant) Football Ground.

OSFA
OHA 14.13.97 - University 5.9.39 at University Ground
Richmond 15.12.102 - Hutchins 10.13.73 at Queenborough Oval
DOSA 30.26.206 - Friends' 2.2.14 at Dominic Oval**
Bye: St Virgils
** Final match to be played at Dominic Oval.

NEFU
First Semi Final
Scottsdale Crows 16.16.112 - Bridport 10.17.77 at Scottsdale Rec. Ground

NWFA
Qualifying Final
Forth 17.13.115 - Sheffield 13.10.88 at Forth Rec. Ground
Elimination Final
East Ulverstone 15.10.100 - Spreyton 13.5.83 at East Ulverstone Rec. Ground

Darwin FA
Qualifying Final
South Burnie 10.21.81 - Queenstown 11.6.72 at Wivenhoe Sports Ground
Elimination Final
Yeoman 15.10.100 - Myalla 13.10.88 at Myalla Rec.Ground

Leven FA
Preliminary Final
Mole Creek 14.9.93- Castra 6.12.48 at Mole Creek Rec. Ground
(Winner to meet Railton in the Grand Final)

Circular Head FA
Preliminary Final
Forest-Stanley 19.15.129 - Scotchtown 7.6.48 at Stanley Rec. Ground
(Winner to meet Redpa in the Grand Final)

King Island FA
Semi Final
Currie 13.17.95 - North 5.12.42 at Currie Football Ground

How has Shem Hawking been playing for University Mowbray this year? heard he was in the interleague side and all. From my club just interested what he has done! cheers

Clarence 13.15.93 - North Hobart 10.8.68 at North Hobart Oval

Best players S.Whitelaw, Riewoldt, Fielding, Neville, Beechey, Baker

Kingpin said:
Thanks for that mate ;)
What was the day like up there today, being the last roster match for the league and stuff?

Quite a bit of wind at both grounds. Not sure about the crowd etc at Mt Pleasant, but quite a good number at Oatlands. Pity about the match.

Go th Pies! looks like the Tigers choked big time. I would of expected a better show from them, but who cares, now all we have to do is kill North next week, c'mon Pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Good to see Huonville win again, into the Prelim against Kermandie, should be a beauty, hope they win, if they win the Premiership, they would have to be in the Premier League next year.

Who is going to drop down? Because I can guarantee Brighton will be Premier League next season.

How come, from what I have been hearing they were either going to become the Hawks (lose even more supporters) or they were going to drop out. Considering Huonville have a plan in place and have approached AFLTAS, I would think they would be in the "top league" next year as the Southern Districts ?????????

If they become the hawks that still doesn't mean they would necessarily drop down. Might lose them more supporters, but the SFL is determined to keep them Premier.

Ozguy said:
If they become the hawks that still doesn't mean they would necessarily drop down. Might lose them more supporters, but the SFL is determined to keep them Premier.

Yes, the Hawks proposal is something that they've proposed for awhile now, at AFLT's great want of, I might add.
That would pave the way for North Hobart to be back in thier traditional guernsey.
I'd say that Brighton will still be in the Premier next year at least, rumours I've heard are that they wouldn't mind dropping back to the Regional, but mightn't be able to.
Some juicy rumours I heard today are:

a) Brighton to sack Garry Splann as coach (because he's not a coach's bootlace) and replace him with Hedley Thompson, who it is rumoured more than likely will be bringing his son and Roger Belcher from New Norfolk plus some others.
The Robins are wanting to spend big and get some discipline into a club that currently has no such thing.

b) Huonville Lions are having a few little off field problems in a factional sense.
Barge quite rightly picked up on this matter quite some time ago, with reference to the merged club (which is officially known as the Huonville Lions Football Club - a merger of Huonville Bulldogs & Franklin Lions) having dropped all reference to Lions in press releases and other dealings.
Apparently this has not at all pleased the Franklin half of the club.
Unusually, they have two sets of Past Players Associations down there (a Huonville Bulldogs one and a Franklin Lions one).
The word is, that they are looking at making the step up to the Premier League pretty sharpish.
With Hobart currently using the Lions emblem (not for too f*ckin' long if some of us have our way), it would mean that they would have to change (presumably the Bulldogs) which would split the club in two.

My source down the way tells me it would be a waste of time them coming up anyway, as they would only train two nights a week, and as a result, not be up to Premier League standard.
He reckons only a composite Huon side would make any proper impact, but people in the Huon wouldn't ditch thier own club for this "new" side, as it would be viewed as "just Huonville", therefore making joining the Premier League totally irrelevant.

Interesting times ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCL said:
Go th Pies! looks like the Tigers choked big time. I would of expected a better show from them, but who cares, now all we have to do is kill North next week, c'mon Pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Good to see Huonville win again, into the Prelim against Kermandie, should be a beauty, hope they win, if they win the Premiership, they would have to be in the Premier League next year.
Glenorchy might be in trouble, three players in trouble, one being Brodie Moles, might end up ending the Pies, I am not sure if there is anyone down in the Ressies that would be able to handle the pressure.

masthead.gif

21st August 2005: Roos Jump Into Action
By David Stockdale

When it comes to finals time, Clarence seems to grow another leg.
And so it did again in yesterday's Southern Premier League qualifying final, running the legs off the home side North Hobart to win 13.15 (93) to 10.8 (68).
It was an arm wrestle for three quarters with no more than six points separating the sides and made all the harder by a howling cross-wind to the Ryde St side.
But when the chips were down in the last term, it was the Roos' potent mixture of old heads and young runners which won the day.
They rattled on 5.3 to 2.0 to earn a crack at a nut which will be very hard to break.
And that's New Norfolk, coming off its only loss of the season, in next Saturday's second semi-final at Boyer, roared on by thousands of fans from the Derwent Valley.
Clarence coach Nick Davey was justifiably proud of the way his side hung tough against the Demons, especially after losing star full-forward Brad Dutton with an ankle injury in the second quarter.
"It wasn't much of a spectacle because of the windy conditions and both sides over-used the ball in the first half," Davey said. "Too many players were trying to get that extra handball in and it resulted in turnovers.
"So I told them at half-time we had to adapt to the conditions by moving the ball more quickly and lifting our tackle rate. We did and that started to pay dividends."
The ageless Gavin Cooney was busy if not bullseye straight with 2.5 and workhorse Trent Whitelaw and Jason Barling also kicked two apiece.
And given it was his first final, teenager Jack Riewoldt presented well up forward and made a bigger contribution than his one goal might suggest.
Stuart Whitelaw was a livewire off his wing, Ben Cato ran the ball well off half-back and Sam Fielding dulled the early shine of North coach Brendon Bolton.
Bolton was disappointed his Demons had not played smarter footy in the conditions, saying: "We over-used the ball and also went very wide on the bottom side and that really impacted on our ability to score.
"We didn't take enough risks to make the play and go long and became a bit too negatively reactive to what Clarence was doing.
"But we are a good side who didn't finish second on the ladder for nothing and I'm confident we can bounce back."
Andrew Cox was North's hardest worker, Leigh Walker shone in the first half before fading in the second and Evan Wilkinson was lively around goals with three.
The less said about Glenorchy's 16.6 (102) to 1.9 (15) demolition of Kingborough in the elimination final at KGV the better.
The hapless Tigers scored their only goal of the game in the first quarter and the Magpies finished them off with a 10.1 to 0.1 last-term salvo to earn a crack at North Hobart in the first semi-final at league headquarters.
Dean Millhouse and Patrick Ross kicked seven goals between them and coach David Newett led from the front in a best-afield performance.

Glenorchy's Rout Maybe Costly

Glenorchy's SFL Premier League rout of Kingborough in yesterday's
elimination final at KGV may come at a high cost after three of its players
were reported for striking.
They are:
* Brodie Moles reported by umpire Joel Harris for striking Simon Whitney during the first quarter.
* Nathan Foale, by umpire Dave McGuinness for striking Josh Kline, during the first quarter, and,
* Shane Piuselli for striking Jamie Harris during the third quarter; by umpires Sam Cure and Joel Harris.
Also reported was Kingborough ruckman Marshall Pestrucci for striking Tim Green during the second quarter and Blair Kean during the last quarter, both by umpire McGuinness.
If the three Magpies are found guilty at Tuesday night's SFL tribunal hearing, it would be a major blow to the club's chances of beating North Hobart in next Saturday's first semi-final.

masthead.gif

21st August 2005: Cygnet Finds Its Heroes In Semi-Final Thriller
By James Bresnehan.

Kermandie threw everything bar the kitchen sink at Cygnet in the Southern Regional League second semi-final at Cygnet yesterday but Port weathered the storm to advance to its fourth consecutive grand final.
The pressure was so intense that players were dry-retching on the field.
And through it all Cygnet spearhead Michael Darcy was simply unstoppable, despite a boot in the hand and a possible broken bone.
But it was his first cousin Daniel Walter who became the game-breaker and hero of the day.
The scores were locked at 86 apiece 15 minutes into the last quarter.
Walter then cut loose with three goals - and another near miss - in six minutes to give Cygnet a thrilling 16.11 (107) to 13.8 (86) win and a shot at a fourth flag on the trot.
"This was ideal preparation for a grand final," said Cygnet coach Anthony Cole.
"It was good, hard, honest footy."
"Anyone who watched the game today would have thoroughly enjoyed it, I reckon."
After the Cygnet players sang their club song at about the same volume as a passenger jet on take-off, Cole said his charges were on the threshold of making history.
"We've only earned the right to play in the grand final, we haven't earned the right to win it," he said.
"If we prepare properly and put the work in, we might be a chance to do something special."
Kermandie gave it everything they had.
Although the home team ripped out to a 19-0 lead early, Kermandie bounced back to snatch the lead by one point at quarter time.
The two teams then went goal-for-goal in a classic shoot-out - Kermandie up by 11 points at half-time and Cygnet by five at the third change.
The first half of the last quarter brought more of the same and all around the ground fingernails were getting shorter.
Cygnet's backline manage several crucial rebounds and fast entry into their attacking 50m finally cracked Kermandie's rock-solid defence, led by the Herculean efforts of Damien Harrison.
"It was hard work out there and I think having the week off made us a bit flat and we'll learn from that for the grand final," Cole said.
"We've had eight guys with the flu, and they are still getting over it.
"But I told the boys at half-time that if we kept running we'd definitely run over the top of them.
"We worked hard and it worked."
Kermandie must now regroup to face Huonville Lions in the preliminary final at Kermandie Oval.
The Lions won their second consecutive cut-throat match by downing
disappointing Dodges Ferry in the first semi-final at Shark Park.
Having finished two games clear in second position on the ladder, Dodges went out of the finals in straight sets when the Lions roared to a 19.11 (125) to 14.15 (99) win.

Tiger Fan - I was at the DOSA v Friends game too, You're not that big built field umpire are you?

Terribly windy day at Dominic yesterday, DOSA could have won by 250 points if not for the wind!

Had to laugh reading the story on Brodie Moles in the paper the other day "I don't do my block like Dad used to." he said. What happens? he gets booked in the next game he plays!

Actually wish I had gone to watch the Glenorchy v Kingston (won't find me calling them Kingborough, they'll always be Kingston to me!) game, can you imagine the look on the Walking Chequebook-Punching Bag's face as Glenorchy flogged them all day? Would have been priceless! I'm glad he was allowed to go now!

On the Herweynen/Muskett incident, I heard Barra offered an out of court settlement which Muskett turned down. I said to my source "He shoudl have taken it, the prick's loaded!"

Also saw that the Preliminary Final in the Regional League will now be held at Geeveston Oval now that North Hobart will be hosting the Premier League First Semi Final.

Who's playing in the Regional League Reserves Preliminary Final? Lindisfarne and Dodges Ferry!

AT GEEVESTON!

Nice and close to home for both teams!

And while I think of it, who caught the scores in the Hobart v North Hobart Reserves Final?

Hobart 16.8.104 North Hobart 7.19.61

2 more scoring shots and got done by 7 goals!

You could say they've kicked themselves out of it!

Barge said:
Tiger Fan - I was at the DOSA v Friends game too, You're not that big built field umpire are you?

Terribly windy day at Dominic yesterday, DOSA could have won by 250 points if not for the wind!

no, I was the younger of the two goal umpires.

and that wind was terrible in the second half.

Check out this ripper from SFL President Roger Viney, compliments of the SFL (which may as well be re-named "Football south of Oatlands") webpage, which would have been published in SFL programs last weekend ........

An issue of interest football club boards will need to consider when seeking coaches; some boards struggle to come to terms with whether or not its Club performs better with a playing or non-playing Coach?

For the record in the Premier League the situation is split 4-4 (this takes into account Lauderdale whose coach has only played a few matches so is being considered for this exercise as a non playing coach). On the other hand in the Regional League 6 are playing coaches with only two non-playing coaches. (That takes into account a change at Lindisfarne to a non-playing coach mid season).

Now given Scott Allen is considered a "non-playing coach" as he only played a few games we'll assume that those who have had similarly injury-interrupted seasons are in the same boat!

Being a Regional League man this made me laugh when one stops to consider who the playing and non-playing coaches are ....

Playing: Cole (Cygnet) McGregor (Huonville) Willing (L'Farne)

Non-Playing: Ling (Dodges Ferry) Barrow (Claremont) ... and given they've hardly played at all this year you may as well consider Henley (Kerm) McConnon (Sorell) and Roberts (Channel) non playing!

Sure enough, strictly speaking these last 3 are employed as "Playing Coaches" but what made me laugh was his final sentence .....

(That takes into account a change at Lindisfarne to a non-playing coach mid season)......

They changed from a playing coach to a playing coach!

Which by my math makes the equation 5-3!

I think our Roger has clearly been to too many Devils luncheons and the fizz has gone to his head!

I play for Huonville and I live in Franklin and I would be pretty unhappy if we lost the lions name (especially if it was changed to bulldogs).We dont play at Franklin at all any more so The 'lions' tag is about all we have left.

TigerFan said:
no, I was the younger of the two goal umpires.

and that wind was terrible in the second half.

Like anyone notices Goal Umpires! Were you the one No 38 for Friends was trying to tell a goal that DOSA kicked at the changerooms end had in fact missed (which was in fact a goal)?

Warney23 said:
I play for Huonville and I live in Franklin and I would be pretty unhappy if we lost the lions name (especially if it was changed to bulldogs).We dont play at Franklin at all any more so The 'lions' tag is about all we have left.

You play for "Huonville" do ya Warney? See what I mean, you called them just "Huonville" and didn't even notice! Just goes to show she was a takeover not a merger way back in late 1997!

You might be a good kid for all I know but I hate Huonville, more so Jerk McGregor and as much as I hate Kermandie as well I hope ya's get done with a kick after the siren this week! How funny would that be, Jerk's season getting ended by one of his many former clubs!

I'D RATHER SEE KERMANDIE LOSE THE GRAND FINAL THE SAME WAY!

Truth be known, I think THE LIONS are a huge show of winning this week!

yeah it was sort of a takeover cause there aint too many Franklin players left these days.
Thats a bit harsh, jocks a good bloke but ive only played with him not against so I dont know.
I don't think We have beaten kermandie this year so we will need to play well but should be a good game.

Jock's a good bloke?

I'd hate to meet someone you thought was a shocking bloke!

At least you're young. You have time. You'll learn young man! You'll learn!

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmanian Football Results: August 20-21.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back