Tasmanian Football Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Crezza - Hunted Down by the Wolves
Geez, its a wonder those left holding the baby in Tassy couldn't find him.

If Manly Warringah Wolves President Peter Kay can keep the great man away from the punt, players partners and the bar they should be right.
Sounds promising.....
More like Manly Warringah Lambs, methinks he's a Brumby!

Footballer denies drug selling charge
A northern Tasmanian footballer and former Devils player has pleaded not guilty to one count of selling a controlled drug.
Twenty-three-year-old Brennan Savage appeared in the Hobart Magistrates Court this morning.
Police allege Savage and other men sold ecstacy tablets at a central Launceston hotel last October.
Savage has been granted bail to appear in court again late next month.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/01/14/2465617.htm

Crezza

Reported in Hobart Mercury 15 Jan 2008

Manly-Warringah President Peter Kay has been reported as being excited with the appointment of Crezza.
I'm prepared to bet not as excited as they are likely to get.

Also reported was: “Wade said Manly-Warringah had not contacted AFL Tas for a background check.”
Why would they?
Did AFL Tas contact the Brisbane Lions or Geelong Cats for a “background check” when they appointed the great man for their senior coaching role with the Devils? Think not!
Then again they didn’t really need to as all you needed to know was in the press at the time.
Alas… AFL Tas still appointed him!
Surely a changing of the AFL Tas guard is now long overdue.

Hey everyone, has anyone seen a roster for the Southern Regional League yet? The SFL web site is giving nothing away at the moment.

Hey all, has anyone seen a 2009 roster for the Southern Regional League yet? The SFL web site is giving little away.

No such thing as the Southern Regional League anymore so you won't find a roster for that ;)

But yes there has been an SFL roster out for quite a while.

What is the SFL calling themselves these days? Where abouts would I find said 2009 roster? I'm a bit out of the loop these days and this topic has probably been done to death, but what is the current structure of AFL in Tas? :confused:

What is the SFL calling themselves these days? Where abouts would I find said 2009 roster? I'm a bit out of the loop these days and this topic has probably been done to death, but what is the current structure of AFL in Tas? :confused:

It is just called the Southern Football League.

Shoot me your email via PM and I will send you a copy of the roster.

More AFL money to flow to Tas clubs

Clubs in Tasmania's new statewide football league are set to gain a larger share of the AFL's annual draft fee payments.
The issue has long been a bone of contention between clubs and AFL Tasmania.
AFL Tasmania receives between $130,000 and $150,000 from the AFL annually for players who are drafted.
Most of it is used to fund the state's junior talent programs.
Twenty-five per cent is allocated to the SFL, NTFL and NTFA but only minimal amounts to the player's original club.
AFL Tasmania's general manager Scott Wade says a new policy will be developed and he is sure the clubs will receive additional funding.
North Hobart chairman, Paul Curtain, says the clubs should get as much as 50 per cent.
"We would hope that any consideration of clubs would be a meaningful consideration."
The new policy is expected to be in place before the draft in November.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/06/2509062.htm

draft fees

What's the bet that the Statewide clubs will receive the money from players that are drafted from their zones and the club of origin will again get zilch

Great question Roorat. I wonder what Mr Curtain's & other TSL club's position is on that one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: draft fees

NTFA Predictions Div 1 and 2 for Tommorrow
Longford v Deloraine (Longford by 33)
Bracknell v Bridgenorth (Bracknell by 9)
Rocherlea v George Town (G Town by 22)
Scottsdale v Sharks, 6:30pm (Scottsdale by 48)

Division 2
Tamar Cats v Evandale (Cats by 160)
Fingal v OL's (Fingal by 190)
Uni-Mowbray v Scotch (Uni-Mowbray by 11)
Perth v St Pats (St Pats by 7)

Re: draft fees

Fairly conservative sportstalk, last count we had 28 players unavailable, due to the clashes between end of cricket/ start of footy etc. Might have to pull on the boots myself:eek:

Damn, i'm at the Cricket today (Grand Final) and I think we all would have paid to see that :p
Fairly conservative at the start of the year, not going all out in my tips other than the obvious :thumbsu:

Bracknell 16.8-104 def. by Bridgenorth 19.15-129
Bracknell
Goal Kickers: J. French 6, K. Mulder 3, J. Nunn 2, B. Porter 2, R. Wood, J. Brodribb, M. Bosworth
Best Players: J. French, B. Porter, J. Brodribb, J. Nunn, R. Gilligan, M. Hingston
Bridgenorth
Goal Kickers: L. Blackwell 5, J. Murfett 3, M. Sharman 3, S. Prewer 2, M. Alway, C. Savage, S. Bowden, J. Hammond, J. Turmine, P. Mackrell
Best Players: D. Sellers, L. Duncan, N. McElwee, J. Murfett, P. Mackrell, C. Clifford

Longford 13.13-91 def. Deloraine 6.2-38
Longford
Goal Kickers: A. Crosswell 3, B. Lucas 2, S. Chugg 2, Z. Gossage 2, P. Goss, C. Black, B. McGee, B. Chugg
Best Players: A. Crosswell, B. Chugg, K. Beams, T. Cox, Z. Gossage, M. Praciak, R. Tarrant
Deloraine
Goal Kickers: B. Crowden 3, J. Baldock, S. Dornauf, N. Hingston
Best Players: B. McLennan, S. Lindsay, G. Moran, R. Green

Rocherlea 16.13-109 def. by George Town 20.10-130
Rocherlea
Goal Kickers: D. Wickham 7, R. Mansell 3, S. Mansell 3, A. Wilmot, J. Holton, B. Mansell
Best Players: A. Wilmot, R. Mansell, D. Wickham, D. Pearce, S. Oates
George Town
Goal Kickers: S. Muller 7, D. Burr 6, N. Johnston 3, C. Allen, J. Walsh, M. Batty, T. Spinks
Best Players: A. Tuthill, K. King, S. Muller, D. Burr, C. Jones

Scottsdale 15.19.109 def Hillwood 5.1.31

What's the bet that the Statewide clubs will receive the money from players that are drafted from their zones and the club of origin will again get zilch
I seem to recall reading somewhere that is what is happening, and even Justin Plapp has suggest that is wrong and that Burnie might have to do their own deal with clubs in their zone.
If I didn't dream it, it should be in an archive on this forum somewhere.

Another example of AFL Tas being out of touch with regional footy in the state:

Regional football claims funding gap

Posted 3 hours 18 minutes ago
Updated 3 hours 19 minutes ago
Tasmania's regional football bodies say they are owed $39,000 by AFL Tasmania.
In 2006, AFL Tasmania agreed to allocate 25 per cent of annual draft fee payments to the SFL, NTFL and NTFA.
NTFL spokesman, Graeme Wilkinson, says the money was paid in 2007.
But he says AFL Tasmania has baulked at paying in 2008 because it did not make a sufficient profit.
"In their turnover of $3.5 million, they can't afford and can't plan and look after their agreement with regional bodies which are keeping kids off the street in a healthy sport," he said.
Earlier this month, AFL Tasmania said it would need to develop a new policy on draft fees to be introduced for the 2010 state league season.

Taken from http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/31/2531298.htm

But he says AFL Tasmania has baulked at paying in 2008 because it did not make a sufficient profit.

So they (AFL TAS) went against public opinion, played Devils games at Bellerive instead of Nth Hobart, appointed a coach who had no people skills, the team suffered, crowds dropped off and yeah their profit slipped.

Yet another string of poor decisions made by this current administration and who suffers? Not them and their nice weekly pay packets but the rest of us.

And do we allow them to get away with it?

Of course we do as that is just par for the course.

Running football or being part of it in any way I believe is a privalige not a right.

NTFA Division One Tips for Saturday, other tips are around the various forums
Deloraine v Scottsdale: Scottsdale by 22. Will be similar to last week for the Roo's, fitness might tell the tale at the end.
Sharks v Bracknell: Bracknell by 48. A good kick up the arse for the Redlegs after their loss at home to the Parrots.
Bridgenorth v Rocherlea: Bridgenorth by 3. Game of the Round with only home ground advantage the swinging factor.
George Town v Longford: G Town by 17. Saints know how to beat the Tigers and they'll again do the business.

ODFA Round 2 today at Woodsdale

Woodsdale 19-19-133
Campania 10-8-68

Very even game up until 3 quarter time. The lions kicked 7 unanswered goals in the final term to blow the game out

ODFA Round 2 today at Woodsdale

Woodsdale 19-19-133
Campania 10-8-68

Very even game up until 3 quarter time. The lions kicked 7 unanswered goals in the final term to blow the game out
Nice win by Campania away at Swansea on Saturday! Several key players out of the side as well! They are the side to beat this year one would think..;).. Campania v Woodsdale at Campania will be an absolute cracker! G.F preview.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmanian Football Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back