Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know who is in charge of the southernfootball.com.au website?? dont tell me its afl tas?

absolute disgrace, hardly any updates on there at all.

does anyone know who is in charge of the southernfootball.com.au website?? dont tell me its afl tas?

They took it off of OzVox Media last season. I believe Nathan Bester handles the club pages. But I would imagine he is rather busy with rego's/clearances at the moment.

Let's not worry about the SFL website, Ozguy who exactly have the Hawks definitely picked up for Season 2007?

The loss of Phillip Horne to Woodsdale, as reported by the new kid on the block, Cadoras, will hurt no doubt!

Check :thumbsu:
Not sure if it's on this thread or the old one, but there was certainly a bit of discussion on it when AFL Tasmania first took it over, I think it took them 40 days to even update any information whatsoever.
Then during the season, they virtually hadn't updated the site until about Round 4.

Bigfooty Tasmanian Football Thread >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SFL Website.:p

They took it off of OzVox Media last season. I believe Nathan Bester handles the club pages. But I would imagine he is rather busy with rego's/clearances at the moment.
True story, I actually used to be good mates (still am even though they live on the mainland now) with Ollie Howe and Nick Finlay who started the very first SFL Website back in 1998.
Oll used to work with the now deceased Matt Whayman at the old Energy-FM, and I think Nick used to do radio reports on the ABC about the ODFA on a Saturday morning.
The old site was one of those old Angelfire ones, it wasn't a very good one by their own admission (a bit of hard Googling you may uncover it somewhere) and Dan Garlick, who was pretty much an unknown web-designer back then, more known for being a radio announcer, offered the lads a hand and he then produced a proper SFL site in 1999/2000.
It had a green and white layout, a forum and everything which was much like this thread in someways, it had a lot of traffic.
When Noel Morrison became GM of the SFL, several posters openly questioned how someone who had been convicted of the crime he'd done porridge for, could be in charge of the League again.
Morrison threatened to sue the posters and as a consequence the Forum was pulled, it was later reinstated about a year later, but given the fierce criticism the League was getting from all quarters, and further criticism of Morrison, it was again pulled at his request.
Garlick kept the site running, and very well updated until - and he did tell me the circumstances as to why he no longer runs it - I can't quite remember perfectly, but I think it was something to do with the AFL wanting the main leagues from each State/area to have their websites run under the banner of the sport's governing body and controlled, maintained and updated by them as such.

Since Garlick lost control of it, it isn't even worth clicking on :)

I'll be fairly blunt and say that football in Southern Tas is at the "nail in the coffin" stage. You'd be lucky to get 300 to a game, crowds of 1000+ occur mostly in finals.

Financially - Some are fairly solid (Glenorchy, North Hobart to name two); others are at the dogs (Hobart is a fair example)

In the finances side of it, I hear Brighton and Kingborough are pretty well off for a quid, Brighton because they've hardly spent a cent since they were allowed to join the Premier League, and Kingborough because their President (Rodney Herweynan) is very wealthy and owns Herwey Fishing deep in the Huon and bankrolls them heavily.
North Hobart do well financially because of the hard work of David Omant (geez they would've been in real strife without him), Hobart will be better off by the sounds of it with this TasKeno deal if they spend it wisely, before that deal they had virtually nothing left and had been pulling money out of the Ye Olde Commodore Inn to keep afloat.

As for the crowds, I wish they would release attendance figures, but you could bet your bottom dollar if they did they'd be very rubbery ;)
At an estimate, Hobart would average about 250-300 at home as would Brighton.
Kingborough would be around the 300+ mark, North Hobart, Clarence, and Glenorchy and Lauderdale about 400, New Norfolk about 500.
Even the bigger clubs can struggle to pull 200 people against the likes of Kingo, Brighton, Lauderdale and in the last few years Hobart.
Crowds of 1000+ are extremely rare now, maybe the odd Glenorchy - Clarence game at KGV or New Norfolk - Clarence at Boyer might drag in a few if it's an important clash, but no one else could these days.
Last year's Grand Final attracted 7,149, the Prelim Final attracted 2,517.

Let's not worry about the SFL website, Ozguy who exactly have the Hawks definitely picked up for Season 2007?

The loss of Phillip Horne to Woodsdale, as reported by the new kid on the block, Cadoras, will hurt no doubt!

I must have missed that post Barge. If Phil even walks on the Woodsdale ground I think a few of us will go out there and forcible remove him. It would definitely be a case of water and oil. He was as keen as anything to return after the Prelim final last year. Admittedly not being involved might have dampened that a bit, but I am confident he will be back.

Have only picked up 3 top-liners that I am aware of. Those being the previously mentioned Adrian Burdon, Adam Whitford and Jarrod Horne. And keeping with the local aspect of the side, two of them are pretty much just returning home.

so would southern footy be better off without afl tas? i know the ntfl up here actually have very little to do with afl tas, and don't deal with them too much. as most of u would know, its a whole mess of issues to do with the devils, the divvying up of money, and the money that grass roots clubs get when players are drafted...

so would southern footy be better off without afl tas? i know the ntfl up here actually have very little to do with afl tas, and don't deal with them too much. as most of u would know, its a whole mess of issues to do with the devils, the divvying up of money, and the money that grass roots clubs get when players are drafted...

You finally made it to the Tassie board Andrew ;)

AFL Tas really has very very little say in regards to the SFL, and the clubs aren't too cut up about that.

I can remember the hostility towards Wadey and that shown by some of the Northern comps at a forum about 6 years ago. They waited hours to rip him to shreds.

In the finances side of it, I hear Brighton and Kingborough are pretty well off for a quid, Brighton because they've hardly spent a cent since they were allowed to join the Premier League, and Kingborough because their President (Rodney Herweynan) is very wealthy and owns Herwey Fishing deep in the Huon and bankrolls them heavily.
North Hobart do well financially because of the hard work of David Omant (geez they would've been in real strife without him), Hobart will be better off by the sounds of it with this TasKeno deal if they spend it wisely, before that deal they had virtually nothing left and had been pulling money out of the Ye Olde Commodore Inn to keep afloat.

As for the crowds, I wish they would release attendance figures, but you could bet your bottom dollar if they did they'd be very rubbery ;)
At an estimate, Hobart would average about 250-300 at home as would Brighton.
Kingborough would be around the 300+ mark, North Hobart, Clarence, and Glenorchy and Lauderdale about 400, New Norfolk about 500.
Even the bigger clubs can struggle to pull 200 people against the likes of Kingo, Brighton, Lauderdale and in the last few years Hobart.
Crowds of 1000+ are extremely rare now, maybe the odd Glenorchy - Clarence game at KGV or New Norfolk - Clarence at Boyer might drag in a few if it's an important clash, but no one else could these days.
Last year's Grand Final attracted 7,149, the Prelim Final attracted 2,517.

When I was down South towards the end of last season, I saw Glenorchy's clubrooms, probably close to the best in the South for facilities etc, very professional.

They used to release the attendances during the TFL days up till 2000, should really be done again, as a gauge of support etc.

There needs to be an aggressive marketing campaign to not only get crowds back, but the standard of the competition needs to lift as well.

Afl Tasmania's policys should be posted on the web site that they controll.
Queensland AFL set a proper example on their pages.
I question what goes on at SFL meetings.
OR is it AFL south.
One thing adminastrators need to stay clear of is taking a vote to change identity of teams.
Legislation in black and white states that incoporated bodys will not change their identity .

Afl Tasmania's policys should be posted on the web site that they controll.
Queensland AFL set a proper example on their pages.
I question what goes on at SFL meetings.
OR is it AFL south.
One thing adminastrators need to stay clear of is taking a vote to change identity of teams.
Legislation in black and white states that incoporated bodys will not change their identity .

AFL Tasmania, the SFL and AFL Southern Tasmania are 3 SEPERATE bodies. What exactly do you question about what happens at the SFL meetings?

When Noel Morrison became GM of the SFL, several posters openly questioned how someone who had been convicted of the crime he'd done porridge for, could be in charge of the League again.

Morrison threatened to sue the posters and as a consequence the Forum was pulled, it was later reinstated about a year later, but given the fierce criticism the League was getting from all quarters, and further criticism of Morrison, it was again pulled at his request.

Since Garlick lost control of it, it isn't even worth clicking on :)

Anyone who wants to pay their respects to "stickyfingers" morrison, are quite welcome to drop in and say hello at Bennetts Furniture, Merton Vale circuit, Kingston where he has been seen working last few months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Tasmania, the SFL and AFL Southern Tasmania are 3 SEPERATE bodies. What exactly do you question about what happens at the SFL meetings?

They may be 3 SEPARATE bodies, but AFL TAS control all the AFL funding and the distribution to local competitions. They are accountable to nobody.

They may be 3 SEPARATE bodies, but AFL TAS control all the AFL funding and the distribution to local competitions. They are accountable to nobody.

I made a typo, big deal.

My main point was questioning what is meant to be so secretive at the SFL meetings.

Does anyone have an update on what is happening in the ODFA this year.

5 Team competition

Roster starts 31st March. 20 Rounds + Final 4.

No double headers this season.

Swansea should be massive favourite if it can keep its' side together.

5 Team competition

Roster starts 31st March. 20 Rounds + Final 4.

No double headers this season.

Swansea should be massive favourite if it can keep its' side together.

Final 4 this year?? :confused:
Geez, only have to win 3/4 games over the season to qualify.
31st March, I won't be here, I'll be into my soothing karma interstate, before the season kicks off on 7th April. ;) ;) :p

Well, he'll help Kingborough out when available from VFL duties that's for sure. At least Blighty has started something down at Kingborough.

What i am told is that Blighty got a few more head down to kingston and few players from Interstate are in talks with the club

What i am told is that Blighty got a few more head down to kingston and few players from Interstate are in talks with the club

Must be a few $'s changing hands then, which is not at all like Kingston/Kingborough....

The tigers' poorer neighbour Channel are going along quite nicely at the moment, not a lot of recruits but some of the existing players hae shown a lot of improvement, which is a great sign for the club. They are holding an Aquathon on the 25th of Feb which should be a good bonding session for the boys and a chance for the public to get behind their club. Things are starting to look quite promising at Snug, carn the sainters!!!

Was looking through my junior footy results and came across these snapshots of one N.Riewoldt running around for the Sandy Bay Seagulls in the under 9s.

Was looking through my junior footy results and came across these snapshots of one N.Riewoldt running around for the Sandy Bay Seagulls in the under 9s.

I played against him in the under 8's when he was playing for the Sandy Bay Sea hawks... He must have been a good player if i knew who he was when i was 7....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back