Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old Launcestonians vs Old Scotch reserves game yesterday, one of the lowest acts I have ever seen on a footy field. One guy who had lost the plot attempted to headbutt one bloke, missed, then ran to a contest and cracked an Old Scotch player leaving him cold on the ground.
But wait, it gets worse..........
Straight after that happened OL's coach Brett Martin ran past and kicked him as hard as he could with a run up. Nothing short of dispicable. The game was called off straight after.

Brings back memories of old times when Northern Districts were in the competition, this used to happen every week. One of the biggest brawls Ive ever been in was against them. Even the spectators joined in (including a couple of patriotic little old ladies swinging their handbags).

And Barge, what happened to the 'Mont?? Went off the ground at 3Qtr time?

Something like that!

Were two goals up late in the third, hit the post which obviously would have given them a nice little 3 goal buffer, and from that moment onwards the Hawks slaughtered them.

A great effort from the Hawks, even more so with Burdon reasonably well held.

I'm gonna have to increase Claremont's funding!

Had the pleasure of seeing TigerFan's good friend Tony Gibson umpire yesterday in the Reserves.

Fair dinkum, he thinks he's umpiring school kids.

One passage of play, a Claremont player took a mark on the wing, Gibson has blown the whistle at Centre Half Back and turned around and said "Right, who's swearing?" nobody replied so the Claremont player was then right to continue.

Also paid a 50m penalty for the heinous crime of saying "Get Stuffed" to an opponent.

The other galah wasn't much better unfortunately.

It's being forced upon umpires to patrol things like back chat and language a lot more than before..

That doesn't mean that all of us enforce it, but seeing as Tony is one of the main ones who instructs us to clamp down on it, the decisions he made are not at all surprising.

NORTHERN BULLANTS 2.3 5.6 11.7 15.11 (101)
TASMANIA 4.3 5.7 7.9 8.12 (60)
:D x 1,000,000
Goals: Northern Bullants: Houlihan 6 Boundy 2 Young 2 Kennedy 2 Flint Colbert Jacobs. Tasmania: Ling 3 Johnson Howard Hall Sharman Adams.
Best: Northern Bullants: Hartlett Kennedy Houlihan Young Austin Blackwell. Tasmania: Adams Johnson Hall Moran McMahon McDonald.
Reports: J Vansittart (Bullants) wrestling, J Ling (Tas) wrestling. At Preston City Oval.

NORTHERN BULLANTS 2.3 5.6 11.7 15.11 (101)
TASMANIA 4.3 5.7 7.9 8.12 (60)
:D x 1,000,000
Goals: Northern Bullants: Houlihan 6 Boundy 2 Young 2 Kennedy 2 Flint Colbert Jacobs. Tasmania: Ling 3 Johnson Howard Hall Sharman Adams.
Best: Northern Bullants: Hartlett Kennedy Houlihan Young Austin Blackwell. Tasmania: Adams Johnson Hall Moran McMahon McDonald.
Reports: J Vansittart (Bullants) wrestling, J Ling (Tas) wrestling. At Preston City Oval.
Whats going on with the VFL side??? Whats this Cresswell like as a coach has he any idea???

Evidently the Mole Creek/Latrobe Saints game was called off after several nasty incidents involving king hits.
Just on the punch-on's theme, the Brighton - Kingborough game at Pontville had some pretty spiteful incidents from the footage on WIN last night.
Not a great advert for the league it has to be said.

Whats going on with the VFL side??? Whats this Cresswell like as a coach has he any idea???
AFL Tasmania and their precious Devils are now reaping the rewards for their systematic downgrading, ignorance and subsequant decimation of all football below the VFL side in the state.
They are in the process of blaming a lack of cattle from the local leagues to top up the side (which is entirely their fault that this has happened) and they seem to be to'ing and fro'ing as to whether to blame the alignment with North Melbourne for their woes (one week they do, the next week they don't).

I couldn't tell you whether Cresswell is a good coach or not, I don't take any notice of him, but the Devils and their owners are reaping what they've sewn over the last six years now.

'Too bad, so sad!' is my thoughts on it. :thumbsu:

Just on the punch-on's theme, the Brighton - Kingborough game at Pontville had some pretty spiteful incidents from the footage on WIN last night.
Not a great advert for the league it has to be said.
I saw the game and there is some problems with the disipline out at brighton not only the players but the crowd it was the worst display i have seen. For no reason one of the thugs in the seniors (7) decided to king hit a 15 yo for no apparent reason No wonder its hard to get kids to play footy! Not sure why Gilmour rested himself in the forward line for most of the game im sure Brighton would not be happy with that! Saving himself for the devils??

I saw the game and there is some problems with the disipline out at brighton not only the players but the crowd it was the worst display i have seen. For no reason one of the thugs in the seniors (7) decided to king hit a 15 yo for no apparent reason No wonder its hard to get kids to play footy! Not sure why Gilmour rested himself in the forward line for most of the game im sure Brighton would not be happy with that! Saving himself for the devils??
I wouldn't have thought there would be many players who's contract only allowed devils games if it didn't interfere with club football as suggested on the Win news last night about Gilmour. Wonder how many other clubs will follow suit when they find out it is possible to have such a clause.

Brings back memories of old times when Northern Districts were in the competition, this used to happen every week. One of the biggest brawls Ive ever been in was against them. Even the spectators joined in (including a couple of patriotic little old ladies swinging their handbags).

I remember watching a game between Districts and Old Scotch when I was a young fella. They were shocking and that's the main reason they are no longer with us.

The OL's vs Old Scotch game saw some shocking incidents which I already mentioned. What disturbed me on top of this was the reaction from the women and children, as they were right in front of it.

It was just mindless thuggery of the lowest form. The vast majority of us go out to play footy wanting a good hard fought physical contest. Unfortunately you get these f@#%wits who see footy as a legal way to assault people. And I don't like to harp on about the umpires, but they let it continue to happen because they don't report anyone simply because they don't want to go to the tribunal in their own time. Mind you, they don't get paid to go, so why don't the leagues look after the umpires in this respect?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I don't like to harp on about the umpires, but they let it continue to happen because they don't report anyone simply because they don't want to go to the tribunal in their own time. Mind you, they don't get paid to go, so why don't the leagues look after the umpires in this respect?
That reminds me of an incident in a reserves match at Geeveston one day, Kermandie were still the Bushrangers, and I think it was the year they won the flag, so it would've been around 2000.
One of their players had been on a bender overnight, turned up late to the match, went on for the second half and was still half shot when he played.
Ball goes out for a throw in, in the right forward-pocket at the Geeveston end about 15 minutes into the last quarter.
While the boundary umpire's throwing the ball in, this Kermandie player ran straight at the Hobart player (Dale 'Rabbit' Evans) and plain out punched him fair in the eye-socket just as the ball had left the boundary umpires hand.
The two sides started gathering, the umpire sent this bloke off and abandoned the match with Hobart about 18-goals up.
This was back in the days when the 2's and 3's were umpired by only one umpire, and when he was questioned by the Hobart people why the guy hadn't been booked, the umpire said he couldn't be bothered travelling all the way to Hobart for a tribunal meeting! :eek:
Didn't matter anyway, Kermandie suspended him for several weeks for his lack of discipline.
I've seen a few dog-acts on the field in my time, that one rates well up there.

I was at the Devils game yesterday. They have 6 assistant coaches, as well as about 6 hangers on. There first half was ok but capitulated after half time. The bullants had about 14 injuries according to a mate of mine who plays for them, so Tassie were lucky it wasn't a blow out.

From what I have seen, Cressa doesn't have a lot to work with.

Are you a footy journalist? - that is a lot of ground to cover for a game of footy from one end of the state to the other.

No I'm not, I wish I was though :)
Over the past 3 years, I've split my season up with NTFL, SFL Regional, SFL Premier, NTFA and I've even seen the "marvellous":eek: VFL Devils.

Followed football since 1998 in Tassie, moved to Melbourne after the fall of the Statewide League in 2000, been in Melbourne for 5 years, came back end of 04/start of 05, and travelled around the state ever since.

I'm not the only one to do this though, the reason why I travel down to watch SFL matches is to catch up with a few of my ex high school buddies :)

Old Launcestonians vs Old Scotch reserves game yesterday, one of the lowest acts I have ever seen on a footy field. One guy who had lost the plot attempted to headbutt one bloke, missed, then ran to a contest and cracked an Old Scotch player leaving him cold on the ground.

Straight after that happened OL's coach Brett Martin ran past and kicked him as hard as he could with a run up. Nothing short of dispicable. The game was called off straight after.

Making it a bit worse too was the fact that the umpires offered them both 2 weeks!!! Idiots that they are they declined it. There may be an assault charge heading their way.

Sounds similar to the 2005 SFL Regional reserves decider between Lindisfarne and Channel.....

Yep, good against the bottom sides but aren't in the same league against the better ones.
They've got a poor record on KGV, from memory they have only had one win (1996) and a draw to their credit since 1992 out there.
It was Hobart's Ball tonight, and traditionally back in the days when they were a real club, they always played very poorly on the Black & Gold Ball nights.
I don't think they won on Ball Night from the 70's right up until when Gillbee was coaching them in '99-'00!
Looks like a change of colours hasn't broken the hex.

So frustrating to watch and lacking in highlights, probably the only real highlight was a goal soccered from the boundary by Hobart midway through the second quarter, that was it!

What crowd? LOL :p
Weren't many there apparently, 400-tops including all the players.

That's about right yep, stands were virtually empty, most of the crowd were in the stand near the kiosk, while there were probably 20 people in the stand behind the goals.

No doubt they'll put some spin on the whole thing.
They'll probably blame the past players or past supporters for it or something :p
Either that or there'll be rumblings and the inevitable "Sack the coach!" call.

They'd only be being dishonest to themselves, the term accountability will need to be used!
Can't work Hobart out, last year they were the danger side winning almost every game in the second half of the year, now they can only beat Lauderdale, Brighton and Kingborough?? What's the problem there....change of players, culture...??? :confused:

Making it a bit worse too was the fact that the umpires offered them both 2 weeks!!! Idiots that they are they declined it. There may be an assault charge heading their way.

Was very poor by the Ol's Football Club. Very unfortunate and puts a tarnish on NTFA Football. Ol's Didnt come to play football it looked like they just went the knuckle from the start. One chap was knocked out in the second quarter trying to pick up the footy and got kneed front on deliberatley by a Ol's player who wasn't even going for the ball (yet wasn't reported) . another player copped a punch after taking a mark (yet wasn't reported) and then little dog acts all day leading up to a Old Scotch player being punched and then kicked while he was on the ground was DISCRACEFUL. The OL's Football club should cop a maximum penalty and these offending players should be outed for a long long time. Credit to Old Scotch football club on the way they handled the situation!

Sounds similar to the 2005 SFL Regional reserves decider between Lindisfarne and Channel.....
That was one fo the weakest incidents I have seen on the field. I was playing, about 10m from the incident, there were some lusty blows thrown in that brawl. Speaking of that, Chris Turner, played in the 2's against us on the weekend, an absolute spanner of a bloke, weighs about 40kg nowadays, might be a result of a chemical diet...

That was one fo the weakest incidents I have seen on the field. I was playing, about 10m from the incident, there were some lusty blows thrown in that brawl. Speaking of that, Chris Turner, played in the 2's against us on the weekend, an absolute spanner of a bloke, weighs about 40kg nowadays, might be a result of a chemical diet...

Yep, then Turner ran in about 30m away and floored the Channel Player (Smith I think), at the time I said to someone he'll get 10 weeks for that!
I think he got 6 or something....?

Was very poor by the Ol's Football Club. Very unfortunate and puts a tarnish on NTFA Football. Ol's Didnt come to play football it looked like they just went the knuckle from the start. One chap was knocked out in the second quarter trying to pick up the footy and got kneed front on deliberatley by a Ol's player who wasn't even going for the ball (yet wasn't reported) . another player copped a punch after taking a mark (yet wasn't reported) and then little dog acts all day leading up to a Old Scotch player being punched and then kicked while he was on the ground was DISCRACEFUL. The OL's Football club should cop a maximum penalty and these offending players should be outed for a long long time. Credit to Old Scotch football club on the way they handled the situation!

Thanks for your kind words on the matter mate. That first reportable offence in the second quarter was blatant. I asked the umpire why he wasn't reported and he said there wasn't much in it. What crap! The second one you mention happened to our playing coach. He'll be out for a couple because he has to get his teeth fixed.

It's beginning to get out of control. Our club will be going further with this. It seems the only "fair" game you can play in this league is against Uni-Mowbray. We always have a good fair hit out and it's refreshing to play against them.

OL's on the other hand have lost it on and off the field. One of our guys had to do the scoreboard! Their reserves should be banned for the year if there aren't numerous hefty suspensions handed out.

Yep, then Turner ran in about 30m away and floored the Channel Player (Smith I think), at the time I said to someone he'll get 10 weeks for that!
I think he got 6 or something....?
Yes, Wobbley copped a beauty, pity Turner didn't wait til he was looking before he hit him. he did get 6 weeks, should have been a full season, thats the sort of shit we need to eradicate, and they wonder why kids are playing soccer these days...

Worst act of sportsmanship i have seen for a very long time on a football field. I have seen people punched and wrestled but not kicked WHILE ON THE GROUND. Pretty poor effort! Too many blokes out there these days for the wrong reasons and to fight.

Reliable source tells me it was mightymagpie himself who was on the receiving end of an Old Launcestonian act of thuggery!!!

Anyone watch Glenorchy V Hobart on the weekend? Good to see some youngsters being blooded! Very impressed with Jake Cox for Glenorchy and Ryan Sullivan for Hobart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back