Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Armstrong

Armstrong was burnt out and needed a break. That happens to us all.

Sounds like he's back and can have positive input. How can anyone say that he should not be on the scene!

Like any business the structure of Tassie footy has been and will always be tweaked. Everyone agreed at the time that the Devils/Nth Melbourne thing was needed as we were blown away in that 1st semi v the Bullants against bigger/stronger players and something had to change.

It amazes me how people on this forum can forget why decisions were made. The statewide had to be tried back in the mid 80's as everyone had grown bored of the TFL. It was a success for 8 years and then died but it was a good thing it was tried but of course went on for far too long.

I wonder if we will ever get a "Sorry" about that one.

On the statewide for 2009, it would be an interesting question that it struggles again just how long will they prop it up? Will there be a 2 year trial period and then would they scrap it if it doesn't happen.

Certainly some form of statewide would be good. Even a pre season statewide like in 1980 when the 1st 5 games replaced the regular season.

Anything that unites footy in the state must be a good thing.

Bring back the statewide final at a minimum, get a sponsor to pay the players and play it on the Friday night @ 6Pm @ Aurora before the AFL Grand Final.

One big party afterwards.

If they had have had it this year, super coach Newett would have got his Glenorchy boys over the line v Launceston by a few points.

Good to hear some constructive opinion on here for once, rather than just negatives. We all know that the current administration have made a few bad decisions, but we need more unity amongst the football community in Tasmania to improve the standard and structure of the game. I wish there were more people like yourself around who not only have a passion for local footy, but are prepared to try and make a difference for the better of the game.

Still no word on who is taking the reigns at Snug Park next year. I have had no contact at all with the club, but it certainly isn't looking good at this stage... What sort of numbers have been on the track for other clubs so far? I heard they have been getting a few at Kingborough, a lot of the young fellas are getting in early, and things could be looking promising for them to improve next year.

Armstrong was burnt out and needed a break. That happens to us all.

Sounds like he's back and can have positive input. How can anyone say that he should not be on the scene!

Like any business the structure of Tassie footy has been and will always be tweaked. Everyone agreed at the time that the Devils/Nth Melbourne thing was needed as we were blown away in that 1st semi v the Bullants against bigger/stronger players and something had to change.

It amazes me how people on this forum can forget why decisions were made. The statewide had to be tried back in the mid 80's as everyone had grown bored of the TFL. It was a success for 8 years and then died but it was a good thing it was tried but of course went on for far too long.

On the statewide for 2009, it would be an interesting question that it struggles again just how long will they prop it up? Will there be a 2 year trial period and then would they scrap it if it doesn't happen.

Certainly some form of statewide would be good. Even a pre season statewide like in 1980 when the 1st 5 games replaced the regular season.

Anything that unites footy in the state must be a good thing.

Bring back the statewide final at a minimum, get a sponsor to pay the players and play it on the Friday night @ 6Pm @ Aurora before the AFL Grand Final.

If they had have had it this year, super coach Newett would have got his Glenorchy boys over the line v Launceston by a few points.

duff, what a great idea for the state final , i think all who read this would think of it as a great specticle if it got off the ground.

i am not sure about the result of the match if were to be played this year between glenorchy and launceston.

good game if it were to be played.

Armstrong love him or hate him is too valubale to not have some sort of role with tasmanian footy.

Still no word on who is taking the reigns at Snug Park next year. I have had no contact at all with the club, but it certainly isn't looking good at this stage... What sort of numbers have been on the track for other clubs so far? I heard they have been getting a few at Kingborough, a lot of the young fellas are getting in early, and things could be looking promising for them to improve next year.

Saw a local yesterday, still no senior coach yet, although Todd Lewis's name was mentioned as a possible coach before he signed with Hobart. Still haven heard if they have started training yet, which is highly unlikely without a coach!

Sources say that the lads from down Cygnet way have been hitting the weights in the gym one night a week followed with one night on the paddock. Looks like Pud Darcy is working them hard this time of the year. Don't know about their numbers though.

Umm no they didn't. I recall it was Wade, Armstrong and the rest of the AFL Tas/Devils crew that agreed with it but a pretty sizeable chunk of their membership and supporters did not.
Many in the public who were ambivalent towards them didn't agree with it either.
The meeting to 'discuss' the proposal (IE: sugar coat the whole thing) had only 20 people attend.

Duff TV said:
It amazes me how people on this forum can forget why decisions were made. The statewide had to be tried back in the mid 80's as everyone had grown bored of the TFL.
They'd been trying to get a statewide competition happening as far back as 1975 - the year Glenorchy beat North Launceston in that clinker of a final in the BP Cup (State Premiership decider)
The North and North-Western football administrators didn't want a bar of it for fear of it ruining the NTFA and NWFU and at one stage banded together and started up the GNFL in protest at the TANFL being the main decision maker in Tasmanian football.
You're correct that people had gotten bored of the TANFL by the mid-80's, and whilst the finals crowds were strong every year, the roster match attendances had been often dwindling since the mid-70's with the exception of when Hudson was playing for Glenorchy.
In Hobart's last three seasons in the TANFL when they were shunted to KGV ('83, '84 and '85) they had an average attendance of less than a thousand.
Sandy Bay were similarly struggling for attendances at Queenborough and got shunted to North Hobart, even the Demons weren't doing well crowds wise.
Personally, I thought the Statewide League was great, and even though it took the Northerners (who distrusted it so much that they fielded teams in the NTFA and a majority of their fans went to those matches instead in that first year) a year or two to clamber aboard, once the Coast got in there it was a great rivalry.
I used to enjoy travelling to the grounds around the state, the buildup, the hatreds, the parochialism.
Made it all the more enjoyable I thought.

DuffTV said:
It was a success for 8 years and then died but it was a good thing it was tried but of course went on for far too long.
It was a great concept - for its time - but once that recession smashed Tassie in late 1990, the whole concept was on borrowed time unfortunately.
It was successful for, at best, 6 years. Ran probably five years too long.
Once they had the situation of greater than 75% of the participating clubs at one point or another battling insolvency, it should've been seen as a warning sign - one that was never heeded till it was too late.

DuffTV said:
Who knows. I severely doubt it will be a success from a crowd or publicity point of view.
Without proper clubs in there and the backing of the supporters, the club staffers and more importantly the players - it will be an uphill battle.
I can't see many fans ditching their teams they've followed for a lifetime to support some made up team in a league that isn't the most stable idea of all time.
Especially after the last Statewide League debacle.

Duff TV said:
1980 was not a pre-season competition.
The TANFL was run as a 15-round competition that year, with a Winfield Statewide Cup competition comprising of the senior 21 clubs across Tasmania's three main regions held mid season across about 4 or 5 weeks from memory (wasn't consecutive weeks either).
Hobart defeated Clarence in the final at North Hobart, Glenorchy and North Launceston were the other top four teams in that competition.
It was stated that the competition was not financially successful and crowds were not as supportive as what was hoped.
While I don't have crowd figures to hand on that comp, I have seen Mercury clippings that Hobart played East Devonport at the TCA Ground in front of 1,712 people in one match and North Hobart beat the Burnie Tigers at North Hobart in another match in front of 2,934.
I have one photo of the Final, and it doesn't look to be a big crowd there, maybe 4,000-odd. Hard to tell.
In the Statewide League across the late 80's and into the early 90's they ran a pre-season comp called the Puma Challenge series.
This was run by way of the Northern teams playing the rest of the Northern and Coastal teams in the North and North West, meanwhile the Southern sides all played each other.
The position to make the final was done on percentage if I recall rightly and North Launceston won all of these Puma Challenge series' I think.
I don't recall a Southern side ever playing a Northern-based side in that comp, ever.
It was generally never taken that seriously by the clubs anyhow (more of a trial run) and it was scrapped after 1991 because of poor attendances.
Glenorchy v Sandy Bay, Clarence v Hobart, North Hobart v New Norfolk in Yeates' first game for North dragged in 1,050 in pouring rain on the first Saturday.
The following week had Sandy Bay v Hobart and North Hobart v Clarence draw 1,145 and the following day Glenorchy and New Norfolk met at KGV in front of only 723.
All of these still better than a current day Premier League roster match attendance. :(
From memory Puma had curtailed their sponsorship to some degree and the prizemoney wasn't much in the end either.

Duff TV said:
I think a State Final is something that seriously should happen.
As for venues, North one year, South the next.
Lock it in, no allegations of bias and favouritism that way.

Who will take the reigns at Glenorchy now Newitt is with the Roos??

Looking for lifestyle change. Why not try Cairns. Great climate and footy. We are a powerfull Club and looking for bigger things this year. Our coach is Steve Daniels, twice Vic Country Coach of the year and dual Premiership Coach in the Goulburn Valley. Is also Qld State Country Coach for 2008 in the Aust Chanmpionships. Chasing talls but all welcome if interested contact me through this site.

Yep the State premiership should be brought back in. The best way to do it would be to get a big name sponsor and whack a heap of prize money on it.

Play it the week before the AFL final, when the prelims are not on so there is no clash. Preferably a Saturday or Saturday night.

If we had the Gunn's State Cup with $25K up for grabs with half for the club and half for the players, i reckon you'd see a pretty competitive game!

Has it been reported that James Armstrong will be assistant coach at Hobart for $300 a game and $2000sign on?

Yep the State premiership should be brought back in. The best way to do it would be to get a big name sponsor and whack a heap of prize money on it.

Play it the week before the AFL final, when the prelims are not on so there is no clash. Preferably a Saturday or Saturday night.

If we had the Gunn's State Cup with $25K up for grabs with half for the club and half for the players, i reckon you'd see a pretty competitive game!

can i ask why you would half the money to the players for?

in regards to james armstrong i dont think that would be right getting paid that much to sign on and in regards to payments per game

Hard nut, i just think if you want to have the best players make themselves available and have a real crack then giving them the financial incentive of earning somewhere between $500 and $1000 per player for the state premiership will do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think dual reserves premiership coach ben reid has been strongly recommended to the football club by newitt and also from newit to the football club. The club has also asked him to put his name up. the position will be advertised. Would be a great feather in the cap for a good bloke who has pretty much done an apprenticeship under newit who would be best coach in the STATE.
Ex Nn coach matt smith headed to nsw and takin a coupla boys with him Jade Hodge and Josh Hall, they are also apparently talkng to Ben Fagan although reported goin to Sheparton...All 4 for big coin, country league not up to our regional apparently. Any thoughts about my comments??:cool:

Is it just me that thinks the Mercury is going bad for stories when Ben Fagan going to Shepparton gets a mention?

Anyone on here play with New Norfolk? What can they tell us about one of the players paying the ultimate price for bagging the new fitness coach behind his back?

Heath "Douggy" Barwick has apparently joined McConnon up there, and one player was saying to his hairdresser that the new fitness coach was a so and so etc. Unbeknowns to him Barwick's Missus works at that hair salon.

She's goes back and told him.

Which one of you was bagging me at the hairdressers? Barwick asked. The offender put his hand up and Barwick proceeded to punish him for it so much so that I'm told he was spewing blood at the end of the night!

They might have a modern day Saddam Bailey up there Wilbur35?

Is it just me that thinks the Mercury is going bad for stories when Ben Fagan going to Shepparton gets a mention?

Anyone on here play with New Norfolk? What can they tell us about one of the players paying the ultimate price for bagging the new fitness coach behind his back?

Heath "Douggy" Barwick has apparently joined McConnon up there, and one player was saying to his hairdresser that the new fitness coach was a so and so etc. Unbeknowns to him Barwick's Missus works at that hair salon.

She's goes back and told him.

Which one of you was bagging me at the hairdressers? Barwick asked. The offender put his hand up and Barwick proceeded to punish him for it so much so that I'm told he was spewing blood at the end of the night!

They might have a modern day Saddam Bailey up there Wilbur35?

No one could be as bad as Bailey, remember him slapping me one night at training for not paying attention to him - reason being i was doubled over being that stuffed from his ridiculous drills

Anyone tell me what Clarences Nick Doyle is like as a player?

No one could be as bad as Bailey, remember him slapping me one night at training for not paying attention to him - reason being i was doubled over being that stuffed from his ridiculous drills

Anyone tell me what Clarences Nick Doyle is like as a player?

I think you'll find it is actually Joel Doyle, Nick Doyle plays at Huonville (unless there are two of them going around). From what I can remember, Joel Doyle is a decent player, seems to float between the 2's and 1's, and has done for several years.

I think you'll find it is actually Joel Doyle, Nick Doyle plays at Huonville (unless there are two of them going around). From what I can remember, Joel Doyle is a decent player, seems to float between the 2's and 1's, and has done for several years.

Your probably right - thanks for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back