Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No probe into footy incident
BRETT STUBBS
May 19, 2008 12:00am
POLICE have called off an investigation into an incident in the Swansea-Ross Oatlands District Football Association match on Saturday that saw a player airlifted to hospital.
Police Inspector Glen Woolley said police were called to Swansea Oval where they found a Ross play unconscious and convulsing on the ground.

The officers then arranged for an Air Ambulance to transport the player to Hobart.

"It seems there were a number of incidents on the field during the course of the game involving players from both clubs, including the injured person, and a runner from one of the clubs," Insp Woolley said.

"The injured person was flown to Hobart and released himself from the hospital.

"As such there has been no formal complaint of assault made so there is no police investigation at this stage."

Insp Woolley would not release the name of the injured player only to say he was a 31-year-old man from Gagebrook.

Umpires decided to call the game off with Swansea leading by 18 points and seven minutes to play.
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,23721047-13222,00.html

I wonder what the ODFA will do here...???

Geappen has had it over 42 times the last two games, i would hardly call that average form!!
Okay I might have been wrong about one player,SORRY for having an opinion I thought thats what this forum is for ,so to everybody else dont dare make any changes to the SFL sides nominated on here you will be wrong like me .

Okay I might have been wrong about one player,SORRY for having an opinion I thought thats what this forum is for ,so to everybody else dont dare make any changes to the SFL sides nominated on here you will be wrong like me .

Mate say what you want, just don't rub old Barge (the Timekeeper) up about Claremont.

Hey mate, the only reason why I tipped Uni was cause of their impressive showing against OL's the week before. And Evandale did go all right to get the points, but Uni-Mowbray were horrible and from reports I heard, Evandale SHOULD HAVE WON BY 10 GOALS PLUS!

fair enough...i will give you a acurate report (as I was there) mowbray were not horrible..quite a good game..evandale were very fired up for this game..looked good in the first half..mowbray got back on top in the 3rd and looked the likely winners..but evandale dug deep in the last,kicking the last couple of goals to hang on.although the umpiring was fairly sub-standard (but not favouring any team) all in all a fairly good comp in div 2,mowbray.ol's & evandale fairly even (as the bottom teams) any of the other top 5 teams, perth,scotch,st.pats,tamar & fingal could win it,all look fairly even.would say though that tamar & perth the best 2 so far (in my opinion)

I can get my hands on The MAP jumpers. Need a min order of X.

I will find out costs ASAP.
I just spoke to a high profile SFL player who said to me he was doubtfull he and fellow others of his age would be up for the new SWL.

I therefore ask the question again (4th time) what do the players want?

The question must be asked that if a truck load of high quality players are out then what's the point?

It could well be a Kindergarten League. Does the public want that?

He also said it (The SFL) was pretty good the way it was?

Some serious questions need to be answered.

Yeah to be honest as a bloke who might line up for a club next year I wouldn't want to see it go statewide. When the swl shut up shop I was shattered but since then over the last 8 years it has won a little bit of respectability back. The clubs are fierce suburban rivals crowds are up and the comp is even. It gives you the feel of what footy used to be like as well as having a reasonable standard with some good players dropping back from the devils like Ken Hall.

P.S. Put me down for a "map" guernsey just PM me with the details. Thanks dude appreciate it.

Oh and keep up the good work. I love going into work and looking up the highlights from the weekends round hopefully you can get some funding and put a highlights package of the SFL Games on free to air. That would really make people stand up and watch

The ODFA will sweep it under the carpet as usual.

They might have had a bit of a push by the media to do something.......Compliments of the ABC news website http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/05/19/2249339.htm?site=hobart

The Oatlands District Football Association, in Tasmania's southern Midlands, is investigating the circumstances of an alleged assault against a player at the weekend.
Ross player, Matthew Coventry, was allegedly struck in the face with a water bottle during the game against Swansea and needed several stitches.
A spectator says Coventry returned to the field but, after making a tackle late in the match, fell unconscious.
He lay on the Swansea Oval convulsing and had to be flown to Hobart for treatment. The match was later abandoned.
The ODFA President, Helen Scott, is waiting for the umpires' reports. "Then I will [decide] as to whether I have to call a special meeting," she said.
Matthew Coventry has been discharged from hospital.

Helen has to decide if she has to have a special meeting?

Lost touch with reality I am afraid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You sound abit bitter and twisted there Ozguy, you havent got an axe to grind as an ex-leader of the ODFA? How would they have dealt with it differently under your leadership?

Or is it because the ODFA clearly doesnt support the Central Hawks concept?

You mean the ODFA that wrote a letter of support for that very concept you say it didn't support?

Me bitter? Nope.

And Ex-Leader? not that I know of.

Now now Ozguy - merely posing the questions . . . .

I think Ozguy has better things to do than be bitter and twisted about the ODFA...

Anyway, the weekend's tips are as follows:
SFL Premier League Round 7
Clarence v Lauderdale at Bellerive (Clarence by 76)
New Norfolk v Hobart at Boyer (New Norfolk by 31)
Glenorchy v Kingborough at KGV (Glenorchy by 97)
North Hobart v Brighton at North Hobart (Demons by 135)

SFL Regional League Round 8
Lindisfarne v Kermandie at ANZAC Park (Lindisfarne by 72)
Cygnet v Central Hawks at Port Park (Draw)*
Huonville v Claremont at Wilmot Road (Huonville by 2)
Dodges Ferry v Triabunna at Shark Park (Dodges by 125)
Channel v Sorell at Snug Park (Sorell by 175)

* I Can't tip either team with any confidence, so the draw seemed the better option.

NTFL Round 10
Northern Bombers v Devonport at Aurora Stadium (Devonport by 1)
South L'ton v Penguin at Youngtown (South by 77)
Wynyard v Ulverstone at Austin Street (Ulverstone by 179)
Latrobe v Burnie at Gilbert Street (Burnie by 83)
East Devonport v Launceston at Girdlestone Park (Launceston by 200+)

NTFA Division 1 Round 8
Deloraine v Rocherlea at The Racecourse (Rocherlea by 9)
Scottsdale v Bracknell at Pie Park (Scottsdale by 27)
Hillwood v George Town at Hillwood (G Town by 135)
Longford v Bridgenorth at Longford (L'ford by 105)

NTFA Division 2 Round 7
Fingal v Perth at The Valley (Perth by 37)
OL's v Old Scotch at Invermay Park (Scotch by 58)
Uni-Mowbray v Tamar Cats at University (Tamar by 44)
St Pats v Evandale at The Beach, 6:30 start (St Pats by 49)

i didnt know u tasmanians had enough time to stop banging ur sisters to make a football league. quite suprising really. well done. keep up the good work friends.

Minus 3 points for originality!

I think they majority of this board - even those who don't like to agree with me the majority of the time - would think of you with a term that rhymes with "Merchant Banker!"

i didnt know u tasmanians had enough time to stop banging ur sisters to make a football league. quite suprising really. well done. keep up the good work friends.
So which team are you from dipstick? Beulah, Hopetoun, Jeparit Rainbow, Ouyen United, Sea Lake/Nandaly Tigers, Walpeup Underbool and Woomelang Lascelles. WTF!!

Anyone related to me is gonna be hot - all 480 000 of them...

More productive than slapping on the vass and hunting for treasure at the Mardi Gra...I'd imagine the ability to walk, let alone the urge to kick a footy or start a competitive league, would diminish a bit after that...no wonder NSW sucks at footy that doesn't involve butt-sniffing...

Nice to see the Rudd/Howard/Keating/Hawke/Fraser government's investments in education and training in literacy for the future of Australia has paid dividends.

Sorry bud, I'd argue with you more, but me sister is laying in her bed and we're in our farmhouse at Black Bob's and aww geee (I sound like Phil Cleary here) she's lookin' pwetty damn tops!! :p Bombs away....

SO... does this article mean that the Devils ISN'T the only pathway to the AFL for Tasmanian footballers(as if we didn't know that). Another reason why "grass-roots" footy should receive a more equal share of funding from AFL Tas. The players that AFL Tas wouldn't let play in this game are missing out and should be let play if Wadey and co. are serious that their main aim is promoting a pathway to the AFL for Tassie players.

Scouts keep eye on talent
STATE GAME BY MARTIN AGATYN
24/05/2008 8:56:00 AM
THE next Coastal AFL draftee could possibly be playing for reigning premier Geelong if things go his way.
Geelong Football Club recruiting officer Michael McMahon confirmed yesterday the club would have a spotter at the Tasmania versus Western Australia match at the Devonport Oval on June 1.
The game is part of the first round of the Australian Amateur Football Championship series, which features players under 23 years old.
The Tasmanian team is made up of players from the NTFL and NTFA competitions after the SFL declined to be involved.
McMahon said any interstate under 23 representative game was of interest to the Cats.
"We try to keep abreast of as many talented young players around the country as we can and a match like this one is a showcase of that type of talent," McMahon said.
"An under 23 game could include players who have come through the underage system, but have not matured as players until they are 21 or so," he said.
"The AFL draft is getting more and more competitive now and with two more new sides coming on board and getting concessions which will spread the draftees more thinly, we have to look at games like this one as potential recruiting grounds."
McMahon said Geelong regularly had observers at games involving the Tassie Mariners, but was not looking at any particular players in the Devonport match.
"We will be watching players from both sides, Tasmania and Western Australia," he said.
McMahon said if the Cats' spotter suggested there was a player, or players, the club should have a closer look at, it would source a video of the game.
"Most games in Australia are videoed these days," he said.
Tasmanian assistant coach Dale Perry said it was likely Geelong wouldn't be the only AFL club with spotters at the game.
"There would be six to 10 Tasmanian-based spotters employed by AFL clubs at the moment and I'd be surprised if at least three or four of them weren't at the game," Perry said.
NTFL general manager Ian Wotherspoon said it was rare for AFL scouts to attend NTFL games generally, unless they were observing a specific potential recruit.
However, he said AFL scouts usually attended the NTFL grand final and some AFL clubs had requested a copy of the NTFL roster for planning purposes.
Essendon's Tom Bellchambers was recruited after starring for Launceston in last year's NTFL grand final at Latrobe.
Hawthorn defender Grant Birchall, originally recruited from Devonport, also played representative football for the NTFL at under 19 level, in 2004 and 2005.
http://nwtasmania.yourguide.com.au/news/local/sport/afl/scouts-keep-eye-on-talent/776280.aspx

Totally. AFL recruitment is a teenage thing, so the development league should be this age group. Even 23 is pushing it, because you don't see many this age get taken unless Ken Judge is the coach.

The Devils on the other hand should be purely a bludgeoning device used to kill and maim mainlanders on a weekly basis. This is a little more easily achieved when the focus is more on selecting the biggest, meanest and experienced footy players currently running around in your local leagues, who most likely won't play in the AFL but still are pretty good footballers (just look at the 2001-05 Devils lineups if you don't think this could be achieved), and not trying to give a 17yo game time in August because the scouts are out with an eye to November.

Our spearhead team should be there for our state bragging rights only, not as a footy preschool, our brand spanking new U21 8 team SW League (the thing I'm pushing for) used for building up draft age talent, and everyone else plays in their own stable North and South leagues, content that their local rivals still hate their guts and will get the chance to square things every year from now on just like they've done incessantly for the past 100...

Sorry bud, I'd argue with you more, but me sister is laying in her bed and we're in our farmhouse at Black Bob's and aww geee (I sound like Phil Cleary here) she's lookin' pwetty damn tops!! :p Bombs away....

Now that is a name that I haven't heard for a long time:D The old man used to drive trucks past there all the time to Queenstown, always refused to stop there even for a toilet stop.

Interesting to see Daryn Perry umpiring the Sorell v Channel Reserves game, then bench coaching the Sorell seniors..............Although he did a fine job umpiring the magoos.....which can't be said of his fellow umpires in the seniors:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back