Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re Kick It Long. If You Are Who I Think You Are Then Your Opinion Counts For Alot . But In Saying This We Need People Like You Involved In Football Still Because It Seems To Be Dying A Slow Death And Some Of The People Writing On Here Will Never Experience The Crowds That You Played In Front Of. So They Cant Relate To The Way Football Was And Should Be. I Must Admit Though The North Hobart Team You Played In Would Do Very Well In Todays Times. Also Do Agree We Need To Get The Behind Play Thugs Out Of The Game But That Doesnt Mean They All Come From New Norfolk Other Clubs Are Also Very Guilty Of This Crime Lets Not Be Silly About This.

zippybunny said:
I Must Admit Though The North Hobart Team You Played In Would Do Very Well In Todays Times. .

The strong teams of the 80's and early 90's would quite easily beat the teams of today. The standard had dropped remarkably. The introduction of the devils the demise of the old TFL. All led to a lower standard and less crowds.

kick it long said:
I am just on here giving my opinion, if you feel the need to ask me a question dont bother, because I couldnt care less what Belcher or Smith or anyone from any club do infront, on or behind the play. Truthfully I dont even like football I just get on here cause it's funny.

There has been a biased towards "New Norfolk" bashing since the brawl on the wharf, it would seem that the eagles boys like to answer their detractors on the field.

People have been getting bashed behind play since the year dot, it would seem you bunch of ********s on this forum have a problem with it. It shouldnt worry any of you to much, I doubt any of you have the guts to actually play the game.

There, thats my opinion, jam it.

hey numbn*ts,
this is my first year of playing footy in Tas, and i cant belive the amount of behind play incidents that happen down here. i wasnt having a go at your opinion, it just sounded like you werent happy with the outcome or how the incident was treated. Speaking of playing the game, obviously i do have the guts. but you have stated you dont play.........:confused:

er yeah, seen that now. but hey, i started playing when it was "real" footy back in the 80's as well, in another state. i have survived, and am still playing senior footy. nothing pussy about that at all KIL. pretty bold statement when you dont even know who you are talking to!! the physicalitity (is that a word?) of it hasnt changed. only in the afl it has. but no where else.

Benny_ said:
Why?
Of course you would edit the tape. If you taped it then you have the right to do whatever you want to the tape. As if you are going to send in evidence against your own team.

You have just pretty much summed up why clubs should not be able to emit their own 'versions' of video evidence.

Why dont clubs try and stop this behind the play bull**** at the underage leval... i know David Newett has done a great deal to stop that at glenorchy... by nipping it in the butt at the underage leval

kick it long said:
1989 Premiers, the last time there was a decent crowd at the GF.
Arrrrggghhhh don't remind me of that day :(
40 points up in the second quarter the Tiges, and Steve McQueen turned the game for North - 8 goals in 11 minutes - my most disappointing day in footy to that stage.
16,561 there that day, the following year was a big crowd, 15,633 with several hundred let in for nothing, the last decent crowd was the solid 14,230 (Clarence v New Norfolk) in 1994.
It's been all down hill since then. I just can't get excited about following it anymore, there's no excitement, no build-up or anything now.
You go to the games and the club songs don't even get played when they run out on the ground apart from SFL approved ones on Grand Final day.
The crowds are flat, very pedestrian-like. They hardly cheer anymore.
And seeing Hobart descend into the rabble they are off-field now is pretty hard to take.
But yeah footy was awesome back then, I don't think we quite realised how good we had it.

wishiwas said:
hey numbn*ts,
this is my first year of playing footy in Tas, and i cant belive the amount of behind play incidents that happen down here. i wasnt having a go at your opinion, it just sounded like you werent happy with the outcome or how the incident was treated. Speaking of playing the game, obviously i do have the guts. but you have stated you dont play.........:confused:

I stated I dont play ? "wishiwas" - "gladimnot" I am 38 now, and I dont play or have much time for local football the way it is now. Infact the quality of local football should be an embarasemant to the state. How can you call it the premier league when you field teams like Brighton and Lauderdale ?

kick it long said:
I am 38 now, and I dont play or have much time for local football the way it is now. Infact the quality of local football should be an embarasemant to the state. How can you call it the premier league when you field teams like Brighton and Lauderdale ?
Just as a matter of interest, which one were you from the '89 Demons?
Savickas, Duursma, Arnol, Grumley, Mawbey, Maple, Atkins or Bond?
If you don't want to say, that's cool.
And as to the above - agree entirely. It's a disgrace the way it has been left to rot.

Kingpin said:
Arrrrggghhhh don't remind me of that day :(
40 points up in the second quarter the Tiges, and Steve McQueen turned the game for North - 8 goals in 11 minutes - my most disappointing day in footy to that stage.
16,561 there that day, the following year was a big crowd, 15,633 with several hundred let in for nothing, the last decent crowd was the solid 14,230 (Clarence v New Norfolk) in 1994.
It's been all down hill since then. I just can't get excited about following it anymore, there's no excitement, no build-up or anything now.
You go to the games and the club songs don't even get played when they run out on the ground apart from SFL approved ones on Grand Final day.
The crowds are flat, very pedestrian-like. They hardly cheer anymore.
And seeing Hobart descend into the rabble they are off-field now is pretty hard to take.
But yeah footy was awesome back then, I don't think we quite realised how good we had it.

Footy was awesome back then, I remember as a youngster looking forward to going to the GF, my pop used to take me rain hail or shine. In the rain we would be looking through some holes in the blanket.

How did we let it fall of so badley, what did we do? I know they talk about AFL live to your lounge room etc. How has the standard slipped so far behind what it was.

In a conversation a few nights back, the point was made that kids have many more interests these days, to many activities competing for their time. I personaly dont think alot of kids have the dedication levels required to make it to the top any more. Maybe there is nothing to aspire to in tassie footy anymore. It's no great achievment to get a game in the premier league anymore. In my day it was really something for a young kid to make his debut in the TFL, there would be a write up about him in the papers etc.

Our Sunday morning footy show with Fat Cat and all the boys, anyone who liked their football liked getting up and watching that show. Times change, but not always for the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

billybrownless16 said:
Are you Byron Howard?
North Hobart 1989 Premiership Squad
1) Jim Matthewson
2) Steven Rattray
3) Mark Devine
4) Mark McQueen
5) David Guley
6) David Noble (dvc)
7) Darren Savickas
8) Dean Duursma
9) Darryn Perry
11) Leigh Collidge (C)
12) Danny Keegan
14) Jody Arnol
16) Michael Elmer
17) Neil Noye
18) Chris Grumley
20) Michael Rowe
21) Brett Mawbey
22) Steve McQueen
23) Tony Kline
25) Michael Maple (vc)
28) Craig Sutton
32) Paul Atkins
37) Anthony Cole
41) Paul Williams
44) Robert Blanden
46) Chris Bond

That is a seriously great squad!

Kingpin said:
Just as a matter of interest, which one were you from the '89 Demons?
Savickas, Duursma, Arnol, Grumley, Mawbey, Maple, Atkins or Bond?
If you don't want to say, that's cool.
And as to the above - agree entirely. It's a disgrace the way it has been left to rot.

Your not to bad my friend, one of the above. And with a little reading back of some of my previous posts you will work it out. Keep it to yourself. I used to read this alot without saying anything, now I enjoy the odd comment even if some dont agree:D

Kingpin said:
North Hobart 1989 Premiership Squad
1) Jim Matthewson
2) Steven Rattray
3) Mark Devine
4) Mark McQueen
5) David Guley
6) David Noble (dvc)
7) Darren Savickas
8) Dean Duursma
9) Darryn Perry
11) Leigh Collidge (C)
12) Danny Keegan
14) Jody Arnol
16) Michael Elmer
17) Neil Noye
18) Chris Grumley
20) Michael Rowe
21) Brett Mawbey
22) Steve McQueen
23) Tony Kline
25) Michael Maple (vc)
28) Craig Sutton
32) Paul Atkins
37) Anthony Cole
41) Paul Williams
44) Robert Blanden
46) Chris Bond

That is a seriously great squad!

Read those names, now look at the line up of the current team:( There would hardley be a player the whole premier league as skilled as the majority of those blokes. The more we talk and look back, the more it depresess me.

It's not all bad, there are some fine young kids running around, the sad fact is they are playing down to the level of the league and not to their full pottential

kick it long said:
Read those names, now look at the line up of the current team:( There would hardley be a player the whole premier league as skilled as the majority of those blokes. The more we talk and look back, the more it depresess me.

It's not all bad, there are some fine young kids running around, the sad fact is they are playing down to the level of the league and not to their full pottential
Yep and having seen that side play, I'd agree with it.
The Hobart side they beat that year had a massive cleanout from the year before, in 1988, Hobart went to the top of the ladder after thrashing North Hobart by 114-points with about 9 rounds to go in a match that had one of the biggest brawls I've seen in years, on centre wing right in front of the terraces - the crowd went nuts - great stuff! Then preceded to lose their next seven in a row, before winning the last one at Youngtown to miss the finals.
They didn't recruit heavily in '89, Browning just brought up a lot of good youngsters that he thought deserved to be brought on, and they had a good blend of experienced players like the Fox brothers, 'Boots' Marchant, Petterd, Walsh, Winter, Shanahan, Browning and a lot of good up-and-coming youngsters.
Hobart had the Dees on the rack 15 minutes into the second quarter when 'Baldy' Fox put Hobart 40-points in front, and Davidson put McQueen to CHF from memory, and as you know, the second half of that quarter was some of the greatest football I've ever seen, not that I wanted to see it that day.

Just looking through the three matches they played against each other in '89 leading up to the Grand Final:

North Hobart v Hobart - Round 3 - 15.4.1989
NH: 6.2 - 10.6 - 17.9 - 29.11.185
HB: 5.4 - 10.5 - 13.11 - 16.14.110
Goals: NH Perry 5, S.McQueen 4, Brand 4, D.Noble 3, Grumley 3, Arnol 3, Duursma 2, Elmer 2, Howard 2, Noye 1.
Goals: HB W.Fox 5, Winter 4, Midson 2, Colegrave 2, Thomas 1, Balmforth 1, Kirkwood 1.
Umpires: Gibson & Jewell.
Attendance: 2,668 at North Hobart Oval
Gate: $10,136

Hobart v North Hobart - Round 12 - 24.6.1989
HB: 6.4 - 11.7 - 15.7 - 19.12.126
NH: 3.4 - 7.9 - 14.15 - 17.18.120
Goals: HB Roberts 4, Winter 3, Browning 2, Petterd 2, Kirkwood 2, Marchant 1, G.Fox 1, Shanahan 1, Keogh 1, Walsh 1, Browne 1.
Goals: NH Noble 4, Arnol 3, Atkins 3, S.McQueen 2, Savickas 2, Elmer 1, Noye 1, Matthewson 1.
Injuries: HB Tapp (Ankle), Knight (Torn Knee Ligaments), Petterd (Cracked Sternum), Wilson (Hamstring)
Injuries: NH M.McQueen (Twisted Knee), Perry (Ruptured Spleen)
Umpires: Dawson & Cayzer
Attendance: 2,221 at North Hobart Oval
Gate: $7,890.50

North Hobart v Hobart - Qualifying Final - 26.8.1989
NH: 3.3 - 6.6 - 12.15 - 19.22.136
HB: 5.4 - 10.5 - 12.7 - 16.9.105
Goals: NH S.McQueen 5, Savickas 3, Noble 3, Elmer 2, M.McQueen 1, Grumley 1, Arnol 1, Perry 1, Kline 1, Keegan 1.
Goals: HB W.Fox 3, Roberts 3, Kirkwood 3, Browning 2, Keogh 1, R.Browne 1, Walsh 1, Wilson, Wilcox 1.
Injuries: NH M.McQueen (Abcess Under Wisdom Tooth), Elmer (Corked Thigh)
Injuries: HB Midson (Hamstring), Crosby (Hamstring), G.Fox (Flu), Roberts (Bruised Shoulder), Winter (Rolled Ankle).
Umpires: Fellows & Cayzer
Attendance: 4,669 at North Hobart Oval
Gate: $22,330

It would be great if footy was ever like that here again.
That second match where Hobart held on to win by 6-points was played on an absolute ball-tearingly cold, but sunny afternoon, it was about 6 or 7 degrees that day.
It was extremely exciting game with the crowd at fever pitch, as loud as anything I've heard in that last quarter.
Even more meritorious without Wayne Fox playing, missing seven matches through injury, returning for the last roster game at Queenborough.
Just looking at the Qualifying Final, it was eerily similar to the Grand Final, Hobart got 35-points up in that game as well before North steamrolled them.

Great footballing days.

There was some very good footy played back then, i used to go along with my dad to the grand finals in the early 90's and every year it was a big crowd with a great atmosphere, something we can only dream of nowadays. Back then young players used to aspire to be like some of the local players and used to look up to them, whereas these days that is non-existent. Footy sure has changed.

On a side note, well done to Colin Garland on getting named in the Devils squad this week, he might not get a game but at least they are starting to recognise some of the young players that are showing form in the local league. I don't know if he still comes on here, probably mainly due to Kempoz's childish remarks, but well done to the young fella.

Garland being named in the devils squad is a joke. Seriously wat has he done in the SFL recently to get this kind of promotion. As far as i know he doesnt even train with the Devils. He plays for North Hobart though doesnt he........
Christ for this one I agree with Zippy, if they wanna giv young blokes a go dont give these 16,17 year old likes Garland and Joseph who dont even train with them give the 18,19,20 year olds that hav been there since day dot. Fagan, O'Neal, Beck, DiInneo, Andrews,Armstrong, Crawford. Its a joke.

evvo u are a joke... well done to the kid! killed it in the sfl, deserved to go away with the 18s, came back killed it in the sfl again and deserves the opportunity with the devils

Tas43 said:
evvo u are a joke... well done to the kid! killed it in the sfl, deserved to go away with the 18s, came back killed it in the sfl again and deserves the opportunity with the devils

Its the senior players of the Devils that are the joke. There are blokes who have declined to play with the team, even when asked by the devils, simply because they don't see the devils as a good opportunity to further their career, (not to mention not wanting to share the company of inflated egos). Excluding 'Wing nut' who has been unlucky not to get drafted, the Devils are basically a chance for young kids (Mariners) to get looked at by the AFL scouts.

Evvo said:
Garland being named in the devils squad is a joke. Seriously wat has he done in the SFL recently to get this kind of promotion. As far as i know he doesnt even train with the Devils. He plays for North Hobart though doesnt he........
Christ for this one I agree with Zippy, if they wanna giv young blokes a go dont give these 16,17 year old likes Garland and Joseph who dont even train with them give the 18,19,20 year olds that hav been there since day dot. Fagan, O'Neal, Beck, DiInneo, Andrews,Armstrong, Crawford. Its a joke.

Spot On. Couldn't of said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny
Spot On. Couldn't of said it better myself.

Boys you have to look at it this way. Firstly, theabove mentioned young players are playing good football at SFL level. The next step up is quite a step up. The reason behind these guys not getting a run would have someting to do with their skill level, not their endevour or hardness at the ball. Is their skill level up to VFL level and intensity?????

Secondly, the other two young blokes who were selected are possibilities of getting drafted so why not give them that little bit extra exposure needed to possibly get drafted????

At the end of the day the devils season is done and dusted and I agree that possibly they need to reward a Fagan, O'Neal, Beck, and co for doing the hard yards. But not at the expense of young blokes who may get drafted

Evvo said:

Very well said. Garland did play some good footy before he went to the carnival but hasnt done a great deal since he came back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back