Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Northern lad said:
Boys you have to look at it this way. Firstly, theabove mentioned young players are playing good football at SFL level. The next step up is quite a step up. The reason behind these guys not getting a run would have someting to do with their skill level, not their endevour or hardness at the ball. Is their skill level up to VFL level and intensity?????

Secondly, the other two young blokes who were selected are possibilities of getting drafted so why not give them that little bit extra exposure needed to possibly get drafted????

At the end of the day the devils season is done and dusted and I agree that possibly they need to reward a Fagan, O'Neal, Beck, and co for doing the hard yards. But not at the expense of young blokes who may get drafted

isn't one of the stated objectives of the Devils to act as an AFL pathway for Tasmanian kids in the wake of the Mariners?

I'm not saying that his form warrants it (I haven't seen him play for a couple of months anyway), but if AFL Tas are serious about getting kids drafted, they've gotta give Garland a crack at the VFL, and frankly, it should have happened before now

TigerFan said:
isn't one of the stated objectives of the Devils to act as an AFL pathway for Tasmanian kids in the wake of the Mariners?

I'm not saying that his form warrants it (I haven't seen him play for a couple of months anyway), but if AFL Tas are serious about getting kids drafted, they've gotta give Garland a crack at the VFL, and frankly, it should have happened before now

That is true. Considering the mariners don't play many games, especially after the National champs, they need exposure at this level if recruiters are to look at them come draft time. Playing in the SFL is not going to do much for a potential AFL player, they need to play at a higher level. Especially for a player that has a small chance of being drafted and is definitely no certainty, it could be the difference. I say good luck to the young fella, hopefully he goes out and kicks a bag (if he does play).

By the way, did anyone see Almost Football Legends. TigerFan, do you know anything about it? I used to umpire, and i can remember the goal umpire that was on the clip. Not sure of his name though, was it Mike Lee or something like that? Being a former umpire, i didn't think it was that funny, it was quite tame compared to some of the warm-ups that some of the halfwit goal umpires did in my time. There are definitely some strange ones amongst them...

Kingpin said:
North Hobart 1989 Premiership Squad
1) Jim Matthewson
2) Steven Rattray
3) Mark Devine
4) Mark McQueen
5) David Guley
6) David Noble (dvc)
7) Darren Savickas
8) Dean Duursma
9) Darryn Perry
11) Leigh Collidge (C)
12) Danny Keegan
14) Jody Arnol
16) Michael Elmer
17) Neil Noye
18) Chris Grumley
20) Michael Rowe
21) Brett Mawbey
22) Steve McQueen
23) Tony Kline
25) Michael Maple (vc)
28) Craig Sutton
32) Paul Atkins
37) Anthony Cole
41) Paul Williams
44) Robert Blanden
46) Chris Bond

That is a seriously great squad!

I wouldn't mind seeing them take on the Devils. :thumbsu:

I always thought that it was Darren Mathewson that played for North, not Jim (number 1), or was there two of them?

Well done to Garland...Good to see him get a oppurtunity. Why start knocking him now saying that he doesnt deserve his spot.....Wait and see how he goes 1st before you bag him out.

kempos_kingz_05 said:
Haha good one mate. I play as a matter of fact. Do you play or are you one of the blokes on here who doesnt have the guts to play?? :p

Could have sworn you told me on here Sunshine you are the RUNNER for Clarence thirds?

Macquarie Eagle said:
Couldn't of put it better myself, thats what I tried to say earlier.

And your dead right on the filming of that Scotty Campbell, his family must be sending in videos to AFL clubs hoping he'll get looked at! Typical Clarence mentallity.

Clarence actually get every game filmed by a local media company, they use the tapes to analyse the games and prepare for upcoming games. If the guy who is employed by them to film the games catches something like Belchers hit on Campbell then why wouldnt they submit it to the league?? Even if they do edit footage leading up to the incident it doesn't change the fact that Belcher committed an act deemed worthy of a 3 week suspension by the Tribunal. Call Clarence whatever you want for putting the video, call them soft if you want, i call it SMART using your initiative!

Agree Wiht Your Comments Evvo. But To Stop The Ongoing Problem With Non Listed Devils Players Being Selected Ahead Of Listed Players Is As I Have Said Many Times Before Is Dont List Any Local Players Just Pick The Players From The Sfl Comp That Are Needed And Have The Form On The Board. Because The Way Its Being Done At The Moment The Players That Have Committed Them Selves From The Start Are Being Treated Badly. So Dont Have A List At All It Doesnt Really Mean Much Except Inflated Egos. Wade, Divenuto,delaney,garland And A Few Others Are Good Players No Doubt But Where Were They Devils Pre Season Or Up To Round 7or 8,not At Devils Training So Dont Have A Bloody List It Means ****

Barge said:
Could have sworn you told me on here Sunshine you are the RUNNER for Clarence thirds?

I've played for the last 10 years and i'll be playing again next year. I still consider myself playing pr*ck. I'd be playing this year if i didnt have a shoulder reco.

kempos_kingz_05 said:
I've played for the last 10 years and i'll be playing again next year. I still consider myself playing pr*ck. I'd be playing this year if i didnt have a shoulder reco.

Hey hey flouro top wearer, don't go getting all fired up at me because YOU contradicted yourself!

kempos_kingz_05 said:
They [New Norfolk] have struggled away from home massivley.

Clarence's form has been good away from Bellerive too hasn't it!

Lost to Glenorchy by 70 odd points at KGV, lost to New Norfolk comfortably twice at Boyer, and fell over the line against North Hobart in Round 2!

Not real flash is it?

Pr!ck!

Barge said:
Hey hey flouro top wearer, don't go getting all fired up at me because YOU contradicted yourself!

Clarence's form has been good away from Bellerive too hasn't it!

Lost to Glenorchy by 70 odd points at KGV, lost to New Norfolk comfortably twice at Boyer, and fell over the line against North Hobart in Round 2!

Not real flash is it?

Pr!ck!

What the hells a flouro top old man??
Clarence have run teams pretty close away from home. were level or ahead of norfolk at 3/4 time both times up their. Only blemish really is against glenorchy.
No need for the lanugage either mate :p

Interesting opinion in the Advocate yesterday. Can't believe the arrogance of AFL Tasmania. If the condition of us receiving AFL funding(which is ours by right anyway) is to hand over control of our League to AFL Tasmania we would be better off without it.

Date published: Saturday, August 19, 2006.
Grants, independence issues surface again

FOR six years AFL Tasmania gave generous grants to the NTFL to assist in its administration.

In 2005 they gave nothing.

For 2006, AFL Tasmania said you'll again get nothing, unless you agree to us appointing your general manager.

The NTFL said: "No, we value our independence and can run our own affairs without outside interference. Haven't we done so successfully for 20 years?"

The SFL has an AFL Tasmania appointee as general manager, with a $20,000 subsidy.

Certainly, that person is reportable to the league, however the league cannot negotiate with alternative sponsors, but is strictly bound to those involved with AFL Tasmania.

I don't believe the NTFL should accept these conditions, and I sincerely trust the present administration doesn't give in to these demands.

AFL Tasmania receives over $1m as a grant for running football in the State.

They could so easily grant a modest subsidy, no strings attached, and allow the NTFL to appoint the general manager itself.

The NTFL as at present structured, is providing a first-class competition for 11 community-based clubs, with over 600 players taking part every weekend of the football season.

Recently, on the ABC I distinctly heard AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou say funds from the substantial TV rights should be directed to regional football.

Well sir, the NTFL is regional football and it is not getting a cent.

Finals time is rapidly approaching.

Grand final day is the one that really counts, and I trust the weather is kind, there's an excellent crowd and a good game.

Neil Rawson was NTFL president from its inception in 1987 until 1995 and co-patron since 1995.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roorat, Take it from a Southerner, you don't want an AFL Tasmania appointed General Manager! ;)

Now on to my friend, Kempos Kingz 05:

What is a flouro top?

Ah, I think you wear one every Saturday morning?

FLOURESCENT GREEN RUNNERS SHIRT, BOY!

Clarence were close to the Gigglers at 3/4 time on both occassions, yes very good - go to the top of the class!

How many premiership points do you get for leading at Three quarter time? :rolleyes:

Oh, and sorry about the language, Pr!ck! :p

Barge said:
Roorat, Take it from a Southerner, you don't want an AFL Tasmania appointed General Manager! ;)

Now on to my friend, Kempos Kingz 05:

What is a flouro top?

Ah, I think you wear one every Saturday morning?

FLOURESCENT GREEN RUNNERS SHIRT, BOY!

Clarence were close to the Gigglers at 3/4 time on both occassions, yes very good - go to the top of the class!

How many premiership points do you get for leading at Three quarter time? :rolleyes:

Oh, and sorry about the language, Pr!ck! :p

Lol arent ya acting a bit childish for a grown man mate :p

Barge said:
Childish?

None of your drivel on here in recent weeks could be described like that could it Sunshine?

Nah coz i am childish mate. Your a grown man you should no better. Tut Tut :p

As Barge said Roorat, keep AFL Tasmania and their meddling, interfering, no-nothing administrators well away from your NTFL competition if you want it to survive.

I have grave reservations whether most of the old TFL clubs will see out another 5-6 years.
In the final round of 1997, Hobart and North Hobart (who were both rubbish that year) met at North Hobart in front of just under 1900-people in what was Hobart's last ever TFL game.
Move forward nine years, and the same two clubs meet in the final roster match of the season, with Hobart going for a place in the finals, and North playing for pride.
The turnout was about 170 people :( :thumbsdown:
The had some guy on the PA at North Hobart who was quite frankly an embarrassment, almost semi-illiterate, and who kept mucking about with the tape player during the match whereby clubsongs from other team would all of a sudden start playing in the middle of the match.
How the f~cking hell has the standard of our product become so amatuer hour?

Clarence gives Brighton the mother-of-all touch ups at Bellerive, if only the Rooboys had kicked straight, they might've got to 300 and made it even more farcical that what it already is.
Apparently there was almost nobody at that game either.

Back in the darkest days of TFL football, people bemoaned the fact that 'only 1000 people' turned up to <insert match here>, but on the weekend, the 4 combined matches wouldn't have drawn 1000 people.

And someone is being paid $20-large for this. Shambolic.
The junior matches on at North Hobart today had a much bigger crowd than what was there yesterday.
Kickitlong was right, the game here is totally fooked. :thumbsdown:

I noticed in the SunTas today that Kingborough couldn't field a thirds team against Norfick' yesterday.
And they're due to play the Lions in a final next weekend, what's with that?
According to my mate that lives over the back fence of The Pit, there were sweet-FA at that game too.
The crowds were much much larger when Hobart first entered the SFL and were playing at country grounds, seems to be getting fewer and fewer people going to footy every year now.

Good to see the Two Blues get a win in a final too.

I wasn't able to get the Examiner or Advocate from the local shop, so unless someone else can put up the Northern and coastal results from the weekend, they won't be here this week.

kempos_kingz_05 said:
Nah coz i am childish mate. Your a grown man you should no better. Tut Tut :p

Boom Boom!

I thought you said you were 18?

At what age does a grown man "grow up"?

You've known me a while Wilbur35?

Am I childish?

Nah, Probably best you don't answer that!

Hutchins 13.5.83 OHA 8.28.76

And they had your deadly left foot in the early game?

Did Banna erupt?

Assuming from your passionate posts most of you are deeply involved in your individual clubs, which is why it must be gut wrenching to see your club disregarded and football standards lower. About time all the clubs and associations got together to wrench back power from AFL Tasmania, we supported ourselves for many years until AFL Tasmania was formed and had a much stronger supporter base and competition statewide.

Kingpin said:
NTFA - Division Two
St Patrick's - Evandale (Night)
Old Launcestonians 31.16.202 - Campbell Town 5.4.34
University-Mowbray 27.13.175 - Perth 10.3.63
Fingal Valley 15.12.102 - Old Scotch 14.16.100
Bye: Tamar Cats

St Pats 29.11.185 - Evandale 4.7.31
Fingal 16.12.108 - Old Scotch 14.6.90

NWFA
Rosebery-Toorak 31.26.212 - West Ulverstone 0.0.0
Motton Preston 26.20.176 - Wesley Vale 6.5.41
East Ulverstone 20.12.132 - Sheffield 10.10.70
Spreyton 11.15.81 - Forth 8.15.63

Qualifying final next week: East Ulverstone v Turners Beach
Elimination: Spreyton v Forth
Motton Preston have the week off

DARWIN
2nd Semi Final
South Burnie 15.12.102 - Queenstown 6.10.46
Reserves: South Burnie 19.14.128 - Somerset 6.10.46

LEVEN
1st Semi Final
Railton 19.17.131 - Castra 3.5.23

2nd Semi Final
Latrobe Saints 11.14.80 - Mole Creek 6.11.47

NEFU
Scottsdale Crows 26.11.167 - Ringarooma 9.6.60
Lilydale 17.14.116 - St Helens 12.6.78
Bridport 16.13.109 - Winnaleah 13.7.85

Next Week
First Semi Final: Bridport v Lilydale
Second Semi Final: Scottsdale v Branxholm

ODFA
First Semi Final
Swansea 7.10.52 d Woodsdale 4.12.46

NTFA Div 1 Ladder Round 17
George Town 173% 56
Deloraine 138.3% 56
Longford 155% 48
Bridgenorth 97.4% 36
Rocherlea 101.5% 24
Scottsdale 93.5% 20
Bracknell 55.6% 20
Hillwood 53.5% 12

NTFL Ladder After Round 21
Devonport 207.8% 68
Launceston 210.4% 64
Ulverstone 132.9% 60
Nth L'ton 140% 52
Smithton 103.8% 42
South L'ton 100.1% 36
Penguin 94.8% 32
Burnie 66.3% 28
Latrobe 75.4% 18
Wynyard 56.8% 16
East D'port 40.4% 4

Rocherlea full forward Dale Wickham brought up his ton yesterday against Scottsdale, as did Winnaleah's Stephen Barron for the fourth year in a row.

Barge said:
Boom Boom!

You've known me a while Wilbur35?

Am I childish?

Nah, Probably best you don't answer that!

Hutchins 13.5.83 OHA 8.28.76

And they had your deadly left foot in the early game?

Did Banna erupt?

Spot on Barge, best I don't answer the first one........

Mate, disgraceful performance in front of goal could end up finishing their season......very disappointing. I have honestly NEVER seen anything like it. There were half a dozen Scott Burns impersonators running around in our forward line! :eek:

Mind you, I was doing the kicking in from full back in the twos, and with my strict training regime of not attending, I was lacking a little touch. I single-handedly gave the Beans at least 5 goals :D

I missed the after-game address from Banna, but I am sure he would have been pretty disappointed.

Qualifying Final Kermandie 15.12.102 - Sorell 7.8.50

Sorell won easily when they played during the home and away season so this is a huge turn around especially since it was at Sorell's home ground. Any one go to the game i was told Sorell were very undisciplined giving away a number of 50 metre penalties which resulted in goals.

VFL
Williamstown 21.13.139 - Tasmanian Devils 7.13.55

AFLST Premier League
New Norfolk 21.18.144 - Kingborough 13.12.90
Glenorchy 26.16.172 - Lauderdale 5.9.39
North Hobart 16.12.108 - Hobart Lions 7.11.53
Clarence 35.29.239 - Brighton 2.4.16

Reserves
New Norfolk 29.21.195 - Kingborough 5.6.36
Glenorchy 23.19.157 - Lauderdale 6.4.40
Hobart Lions 16.14.110 - North Hobart 7.8.50
Clarence 30.35.215 - Brighton 2.0.12

Thirds
New Norfolk defeated Kingborough on forfeit.
Glenorchy 14.14.98 - Lauderdale 6.1.37
Hobart Lions 16.11.107 - North Hobart 9.7.61
Clarence defeated Brighton on forfeit.

AFLST Regional League
Elimination Final: Seniors Lindisfarne 13.15.93 - Huonville Lions 12.12.84
Qualifying Final: Seniors Kermandie 15.12.102 - Sorell 7.8.50

Elimination Final: Reserves Dodges Ferry 13.11.89 - Cygnet 11.9.75
Qualifying Final: Reserves Sorell 8.16.64 - Central Hawks 10.3.63

Qualifying Final: Colts Dodges Ferry 15.15.105 - Cygnet 6.4.40

NTFL
Smithton 17.20.122 - Burnie Dockers 12.13.85
South Launceston 18.10.118 - Latrobe 12.14.86
Devonport 28.19.187 - Penguin 7.6.48
Ulverstone 17.21.123 - East Devonport 6.7.43
North Launceston 29.17.191 - Wynyard 7.6.48
Bye: Launceston

NTFA - Division One
George Town 20.15.135 - Deloraine 4.10.34
Hillwood 15.10.100 - Bridgenorth 11.15.81
Scottsdale Magpies 20.14.134 - Rocherlea 10.9.69
Longford 28.11.179 - Bracknell 5.6.36

NTFA - Division Two
St Patrick's 29.11.185 - Evandale 4.7.31
Old Launcestonians 31.16.202 - Campbell Town 5.4.34
University-Mowbray 27.13.175 - Perth 10.3.63
Fingal Valley 16.12.108 - Old Scotch 14.6.90
Bye: Tamar Cats

Old Scholars FA
DOSA 14.23.107 - University 11.11.77
St Virgil's 20.15.135 - Richmond 13.13.91
Hutchins 13.5.83 - OHA 8.28.76

Reserves
University 17.12.114 - DOSA 9.8.62
St Virgil's 11.5.71 - Richmond 9.15.69
Hutchins 25.24.174 - OHA 1.4.10

NWFA
Rosebery-Toorak 31.26.212 - West Ulverstone 0.0.0
Motton Preston 26.20.176 - Wesley Vale 6.5.41
East Ulverstone 20.12.132 - Sheffield 10.10.70
Spreyton 11.15.81 - Forth 8.15.63

Darwin FA
2nd Semi Final: Seniors South Burnie 15.12.102 - Queenstown 6.10.46
2nd Semi Final: Reserves South Burnie 19.14.128 - Somerset 6.10.46

Leven FA
1st Semi Final: Railton 19.17.131 - Castra 3.5.23
2nd Semi Final: Latrobe Saints 11.14.80 - Mole Creek 6.11.47

NEFU
Scottsdale Crows 26.11.167 - Ringarooma 9.6.60
Lilydale 17.14.116 - St Helens 12.6.78
Bridport 16.13.109 - Winnaleah 13.7.85

ODFA
1st Semi Final: Swansea 7.10.52 - Woodsdale 4.12.36

Independant Schools State Grand Final
Hutchins 16.14.110 - Scotch Oakburn 7.8.50

examinerjs0.jpg

Cats Want Tribunal To Rethink Walters - August 21st
Rising Stars In Line For Recognition - August 19th
Aurora Stadium: Name Of Gate Debate - August 19th
Devonport To Get Lift From Dean - August 18th
NEFU: Goals Galore But No Finals - August 18th

advocatetu2.jpg

Bourne Quits Penguin - August 21st
NWFA: Auton Assumes Mantle - August 21st
Pies Are No Soft Touch - August 21st
Saints Set To Shine In Finals - August 21st
Demon Backflip - August 19th
Son Of A Gun Swan To Debut - August 19th
Hawthorn Deal Close - August 19th
Turning Point For Five - August 19th
Comeback Kid Gains Selection - August 18th
Pearson Making Up For Lost Time - August 18th

logo.gif

Saint Virgil's Keep Alive Finals Chance - August 21st
Coach Urges Devils To End Season In Style - August 21st
Solid Win But Eagles Wounded - August 20th
Robins Turn On Best In Finals - August 20th
Seagulls Feast On Devil Pups - August 20th
Tigers, Eagles Fine Tune For Final Showdown - August 19th
Historic Omens As Sorell Takes On Kermandie - August 19th
Regional League: McGregor The Mystery Man - August 19th
Justin Is Pride Of Lions - August 19th
Devils Can End With Touch Of Final Glory - August 19th
Regional: Mixing With The Enemy - August 18th
Old Scholars: Students Ready To Repeat Hot Form - August 18th
Hay Can't Play - August 18th

PS: Thanks BB16 for the updates last night too :) :thumbsu:

Kingpin said:
Wasn't wanted by the Devils, wasn't considered 'good enough' for them allegedly.
Played 6 games for Clarence in the Premier League and gets drafted to Brisbane Lions.
According to several relatives of mine who were at Telstra Dome watching the Tigers play Brisbane last weekend, he was a standout player for them, and had it not been for his efforts, the BrisRoys would've been 100+ points down at the long break.

Interesting how programmes like the Devils were set up because AFL Talent Scouts 'wouldn't take any interest in local football'.
Well they obviously do watch.
Nice to see a local club get a kid drafted and go on to play good senior footy, which is more than what the Devils have ever done.

The Mariners got some pretty good players drafted in their time that went on to be genuinely good in the AFL, when the Mariners played each week rather than the spit-and-a-handful of games they now play.
Confirms my belief that the Devils are a giant circle-jerk exercise and mutual back-patting society for players who clearly couldn't cut it, and who won't cut it at AFL level, because they either weren't good enough at that level or were considered too old, but who are 'too good' to go back and play club footy because of 1) loss of prestige by not being involved with 'the big boys, and 2) the local clubs have all got no money to pay these over-inflated egos.

And as for the rest of their hangers-on-ers and the rest of the gravy train involved, don't get me started.

A good idea lost in a fog of ego and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back