Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
VFL - Round 1
Tasmania Devils 9.6.60 - Bendigo Bombers 4.7.31 (Half Time)

SFL Premier League - Round 1
Glenorchy 7.7.49 - Clarence 7.4.46 (Half Time)
Brighton 4.6.30 - Lauderdale 3.6.24 (Half Time)
North Hobart 9.7.61 - Kingborough 4.3.27 (Half Time)
Hobart Lions 10.7.67 - New Norfolk 7.3.45 (Half Time)

SFL Regional League - Round 1
Lindisfarne 16.8.104 - Claremont 5.2.32 (Half Time)
Central Hawks 7.7.49 - Sorell 4.9.33 (Half Time)
Dodges Ferry 9.9.63 - Cygnet 8.4.52 (Half Time)
Huonville Lions 15.7.97 - Channel 2.3.15 (Half Time)
Kermandie 15.18.108 - Triabunna 0.1.1 (Half Time)

NTFL - Round 3
South Launceston 13.9.87 - Penguin 8.2.50 (Half Time)
Ulverstone 19.13.127 - East Devonport 0.1.1 (Half Time)
Wynyard 10.5.65 - Burnie Dockers 6.7.43 (Half Time)

VFL - Round 1
Tasmania Devils 14.10.94 - Bendigo Bombers 7.11.53 (Three Quarter Time)

Clarence 14.5.89 - Glenorchy 10.8.68 (Three Quarter Time)
Brighton 9.8.62 - Lauderdale 5.9.39 (Three Quarter Time)
North Hobart 12.8.80 - Kingborough 7.8.50 (Three Quarter Time)
Hobart Lions 13.8.86 - New Norfolk 8.7.55 (Three Quarter Time)

Lindisfarne 24.12.156 - Claremont 8.4.52 (Three Quarter Time)
Central Hawks 11.10.76 - Sorell 6.13.49 (Three Quarter Time)
Dodges Ferry 14.14.98 - Cygnet 10.8.68 (Three Quarter Time)
Huonville Lions 19.12.126 - Channel 2.4.16 (Three Quarter Time)
Kermandie 23.24.162 - Triabunna 0.1.1 (Three Quarter Time)

NTFL - Round 3 *Not Updated by ABC Radio.
South Launceston 13.9.87 - Penguin 8.2.50 (Half Time)
Ulverstone 19.13.127 - East Devonport 0.1.1 (Half Time)
Wynyard 10.5.65 - Burnie Dockers 6.7.43 (Half Time)

VFL - Round 1
Tasmania Devils 16.14.110 - Bendigo Bombers 11.14.80

Clarence 19.7.121 - Glenorchy 14.9.93
Brighton 12.10.82 - Lauderdale 10.14.74
North Hobart 18.15.123 - Kingborough 9.10.64
Hobart Lions 17.12.114 - New Norfolk 12.8.80

Lindisfarne 29.19.193 - Claremont 11.10.76
Central Hawks 12.12.84 - Sorell 11.13.79
Dodges Ferry 18.19.127 - Cygnet 10.10.70
Huonville Lions 27.15.177 - Channel 3.5.23
Kermandie 34.29.233 - Triabunna 3.1.19

NTFL - Round 3
South Launceston 25.16.166 - Penguin 13.12.90
Ulverstone 31.19.205 - East Devonport 2.4.16
Burnie Dockers 25.19.169 - Wynyard 17.8.110

Final results

Premier League
Clarence d Glenorchy (about 4 goals)
Brighton d Lauderdale (ended up being quite close)
North d Kingborough (comfortably)
Hobart d NN

No real surprises there I guess.

Regional
Lindisfarne thrashed the 'Mont (welcome Bucket)
Central Hawks 84 d Sorell 79
Dodges d Cygnet easily in the end by about 50 points
Huonville thrashed Channel (what happened there?)
Kermandie demoralised Triabunna (back to the ODFA perhaps?)

If anyone knows Old Scholars results let us know. Cheers.

These old web pages are fairly interesting, guess what I did all afternoon!
This one is interesting from around the time the statewide league died and AFL Tas were trying to take over southern football;

http://web.archive.org/web/20010409090002/www.footyradio.com.au/thenews.htm

Newsflash 1st March 2001
"During the upheaval involving the three southern Statewide league clubs Football Tasmania's Scott Wade and Peter Hodgman addressed a meeting of SFL clubs and were asked would Football Tasmania interfere or be involved in the running of the competition ?
The answer quite clearly was "only to lend administrative support and assist if needed. FT would not in any way interfere in the running of a well run and administered competition. Mr Verrier also stated "Why is Scott Wade publicly raising the issue of the SFL's sponsorship deals ? It didn't seem to worry Football Tasmania last year."
Scott Wade was quoted yesterday as saying "The SFL is morally obliged to support the companies that support the AFL and therefore Football Tasmania."
( Editors note - The questions raised by the invocation of the "morals" issue has many possible ramifications. It seems that Football Tasmania can bring out "the big stick" of moral obligation but only when it suits them. I am sure there are a few clubs, players and administrations in football ( not just in the South ) that believe that Football Tasmania has not been as morally upright in its past dealings with them as it would have everybody believe now. Also the SFL could, quite rightly, state that Football Tasmania is "morally obliged" to leave them to run their own competition as they see fit, without interference. This story still has a few twists and turns to make before it is resolved. )

There are heaps more items of the same vein.

Newsflash 23rd January 2001
Last night's SFL meeting agreed to admit the Big Three into the 2001 competition but only if they agree to certain conditions. After a lengthy debate it was decided they could come in but the competition would play as a 15 team united league.
The conditions are

That their colours, logos and clubs songs must not conflict with any of the current clubs
They must adhere to the $40,000 salary cap, including the cost of coaches, which reduces next season to $35,000
The clubs must present a player list prior to the start of the season comprising 48 seniors and reserves and 26 colts.
Any players not listed will be considered free agents
They must pay the $5000 affiliation entry fee by February 28th
If VFL or Mariners players play more than a certain number of games in the VFL or TAC cup, they are ineligible to play in the finals for their SFL club
The pages of "Rumours" makes for some interesting reading as well

Final results
Regional
Huonville thrashed Channel (what happened there?)

Simple case of not following the coach's instructions and not wanting the ball more, but Huonville's fleet of younger players stepped up and played extremely well complimented with the two key forwards - Joyce (who looks like a beached whale) and McGregor.

To tell you the truth, the fat field umpire provided more entertainment with his arm waving antics.

Central Hawks 11.10.76 - Sorell 6.13.49 (Three Quarter Time)

Final Score: Central Hawks 12.12. 84 def Sorell 11.13.79

massive, massive win for Central Hawks.

huge first up win for coach Burdon, and the sort of win an entire season can be built on

look out for Central Hawks this season

Just like last year when they won 5 in a row first up??:rolleyes: they didn't even make the finals!!

It's round one mate.. There's plenty of weeks left in the season yet mate..

Just like last year when they won 5 in a row first up??:rolleyes: they didn't even make the finals!!

5 in a row against crap opposition. they might not be the most skilled side in the comp, but they attacked the ball so much harder than Sorell yesterday, and if you do that every game, you're going to win a lot more than you lose

my only fear is how their fitness is going to stack up. Sorell kicked the last 5 goals yesterday, and Central Hawks play a taxing brand of footy, so they might be feeling it by the middle of June

that said, there was a whole lot to like about what I saw yesterday

And the club didn't expect to make the finals!!!!

And that was 4 Regional League clubs beaten in those first 5 matches. Did you even expect them to beat 1 of the other 8 clubs in their first year? Did you expect us to beat Sorell yesterday?

I don't think Tigersfan is annointing the Hawks as premiership favourites or anything. He is saying they are a side that the other clubs are going to have to respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simple case of not following the coach's instructions and not wanting the ball more, but Huonville's fleet of younger players stepped up and played extremely well complimented with the two key forwards - Joyce (who looks like a beached whale) and McGregor.

Beached whale????? Not much of a wrap for the channel boys. I think one person may have beaten him on the lead.
Channel had very highly talked up recruits that didn't offer a thing. Long season ahead i would suggest.
Although i was impressed that they could throw and catch a tennis ball before the game. Very good initiative.
Maybe next week thay should play with a tennis ball. Isn't it funny, someone see's it on tv and thinks it must work.

Beached whale????? Not much of a wrap for the channel boys. I think one person may have beaten him on the lead.

You have to admit he does look like one!!!, although I didnt say he played like one. In fact I was impressed with how he carried all that weight around and still managed to take a couple of hangers.

I was in Hobart today and saw signs everywhere saying "Save The Sandy Bay Junior Football Club".
Does anyone know the story behind this, from what I could work out they are not allowed to field a team in the junior comps because they don't have a senior club, is this correct?

Channel had very highly talked up recruits that didn't offer a thing. Long season ahead i would suggest.
Although i was impressed that they could throw and catch a tennis ball before the game. Very good initiative.
Maybe next week thay should play with a tennis ball. Isn't it funny, someone see's it on tv and thinks it must work.

he did look like he had put on a few kgs, but he played very well.( although i did notice a lot of players in the channel side had been playing 2's in the past few years.) Huonville looked the goods, having Joyce back and also having Garth and Jock up forward they will be a real contender this year, was also impressed with young Lovell for Huonville, he is only 16 or 17 but played well beyond his years.

Also did anyone else read the Kingborough times, they had an article on why Channel use pink balls at training. It would appear new coach OJ needs to realise he is coaching a southern regional leauge team, not the Devils.

I was in Hobart today and saw signs everywhere saying "Save The Sandy Bay Junior Football Club".
Does anyone know the story behind this, from what I could work out they are not allowed to field a team in the junior comps because they don't have a senior club, is this correct?
Yes that's correct.
During the past few weeks there's been considerable to-ing and fro-ing in the Mercury letters to the editor column over the situation from aggrieved parties over the situation.
There was a very eye-opening letter from the last president of the Sandy Bay senior football Club, Bill Sorell, in which he tipped a real bucket on the Junior club during the week, and the response from current SBJFC president Steven Hay yesterday was just as terse.
When I get more time, I will type up these letters (they are both very long) for the readers.
One interesting fact that came out of the letter from Bill Sorell was that the SFL Premier League offered the chance for Sandy Bay Juniors to merge with Hutchins Lions from the OSFA to become Sandy Bay in the Premier League, to keep Lauderdale out, but both parties allegedly scotched the idea.

VFL - Round 1
Bendigo Bombers v Tasmania Devils
Tasmania Devils 16.14.110 - Bendigo Bombers 11.14.80
At Windy Hill.

Glenorchy v Clarence
{Sen} Clarence 19.7.121 - Glenorchy 14.9.93
{Res} Clarence 17.12.114 - Glenorchy 8.12.60
{U18} Glenorchy 17.13.115 - Clarence 6.6.42
At KGV Football Park.

Lauderdale v Brighton
{Sen} Brighton 12.10.82 - Lauderdale 10.14.74
{Res} Lauderdale 13.11.89 - Brighton 7.12.54
{U18} Lauderdale 29.22.196 - Brighton 2.5.17
At Lauderdale Sports Club Ground.

North Hobart v Kingborough
{Sen} North Hobart 18.15.123 - Kingborough 9.10.64
{Res} North Hobart 27.13.175 - Kingborough 3.2.20
(U18} North Hobart 8.20.68 - Kingborough 4.4.28
At North Hobart Oval.

Hobart Lions v New Norfolk
{Sen} Hobart Lions 17.12.114 - New Norfolk 12.9.81
{Res} Hobart Lions 19.13.127 - New Norfolk 10.10.70
{U18} Hobart Lions 24.10.154 - New Norfolk 3.8.26
At TCA Ground.

Claremont v Lindisfarne
{Sen} Lindisfarne 29.9.183 - Claremont 11.10.76
{Res} Lindisfarne 14.20.104 - Claremont 9.10.64
{U17} No Match.
At Abbotsfield Park.

Sorell v Central Hawks
{Sen} Central Hawks 12.12.84 - Sorell 11.13.79
{Res} Sorell 26.13.169 - Central Hawks 8.4.52
{U17} No Match.
At Pembroke Park.

Dodges Ferry v Cygnet
{Sen} Dodges Ferry 18.19.127 - Cygnet 10.10.70
{Res} Cygnet 17.8.110 - Dodges Ferry 10.4.64
{U17} Dodges Ferry 14.11.95 - Cygnet 6.6.42
At Shark Park.

Channel v Huonville Lions
{Sen} Huonville Lions 27.15.177 - Channel 3.5.23
{Res} Huonville Lions 14.16.100 - Channel 12.6.78
{U17} Huonville Lions 16.16.112 - Channel 0.3.3
At Snug Park.

Triabunna v Kermandie
{Sen} Kermandie 34.29.233 - Triabunna 3.1.19
{Res} Kermandie 16.20.116 - Triabunna 11.11.77
{U17} Kermandie 10.14.74 - Triabunna 8.6.54
At Triabunna Recreation Ground.

NTFL - Round 3
Latrobe v Devonport
{Sen} Devonport 28.25.193 - Latrobe 11.11.77
{Res} Devonport 19.14.128 - Latrobe 7.2.44
{U19} Latrobe 11.17.83 - Devonport 7.7.49
Attendance: 1550 at Latrobe Recreation Ground.

Launceston v Nth Launceston
{Sen} Launceston 19.12.126 - Nth Launceston 16.7.103
{Res} Nth Launceston 14.12.96 - Launceston 10.7.67
{U19} Launceston 16.20.116 - Nth Launceston 7.6.48
Attendance: TBA at Windsor Park.

Penguin v Sth Launceston
{Sen} Sth Launceston 25.16.166 - Penguin 13.12.90
{Res} Sth Launceston 19.12.126 - Penguin 7.7.49
{U19} Sth Launceston 16.14.110 - Penguin 5.21.51
Attendance: TBA at Penguin Sports Ground.

East Devonport v Ulverstone
{Sen} Ulverstone 31.19.205 - East Devonport 2.4.16
{Res} Ulverstone 24.16.160 - East Devonport 4.4.28
{U19} Ulverstone 21.13.139 - East Devonport 6.2.38
Attendance: TBA at Girdlestone Park.

Wynyard v Burnie Dockers
{Sen} Burnie Dockers 25.19.169 - Wynyard 17.8.110
{Res} Wynyard 12.7.79 - Burnie Dockers 9.11.65
{U19} Wynyard 11.13.79 - Burnie Dockers 8.14.62
Attendance: TBA at Wynyard Oval.

Old Scholars FA - Round 1
DOSA v St Virgil's
{Sen} DOSA 26.20.176 - St Virgil's 11.8.74
{Res} St Virgil's 12.11.83 - DOSA 9.7.61
At Cadbury's Oval.

OHA v University
{Sen} OHA 10.16.76 - University 9.7.61
{Res} University 20.22.142 - OHA 13.5.83
At Geilston Bay Oval.

Richmond v Hutchins
{Sen} Richmond 9.7.61 - Hutchins 8.12.60
{Res} Hutchins 13.9.87 - Richmond 4.0.24
At Richmond Recreation Ground.

Oatlands District FA - Round 2
Woodsdale v Ross
{Sen} Woodsdale 26.16.172 - Ross 1.6.12

Swansea v Mt Pleasant
{Sen} Swansea 17.8.110 - Mt Pleasant 5.7.37

You seem to be very switched on Kingpin, on all footy matters. I would like to pose a question.
If the Sandy Bay Junior Football Club win this one will be having the same argument in 12 months time, and then again the next year and the next when they get to senior level?
They are a "JUNIOR" club and correct me if i'm wrong but junior football finishes at under 16's and then become youth football. They have been under no illusions since they formed that the junior age groups finish at under 16 and do not continue on for them. Thats the choice they made.
This has been the same way since Sandy Bay senior club folded, so to try and bring it up now is waste of time.
As far as save The Sandy Bay Junior Football Club goes, What about the rest of the boys and girls that play there. They seem to have been forgotten. Because the guys in that team are very good it seems some parents and officials are having thier last grasp at glory.

Final Score: Central Hawks 12.12. 84 def Sorell 11.13.79

massive, massive win for Central Hawks.

huge first up win for coach Burdon, and the sort of win an entire season can be built on

You flag wave or whistle blow in this game, TigerFan?

You seem to be very switched on Kingpin, on all footy matters. I would like to pose a question.
If the Sandy Bay Junior Football Club win this one will be having the same argument in 12 months time, and then again the next year and the next when they get to senior level?
They are a "JUNIOR" club and correct me if i'm wrong but junior football finishes at under 16's and then become youth football. They have been under no illusions since they formed that the junior age groups finish at under 16 and do not continue on for them. Thats the choice they made.
This has been the same way since Sandy Bay senior club folded, so to try and bring it up now is waste of time.
As far as save The Sandy Bay Junior Football Club goes, What about the rest of the boys and girls that play there. They seem to have been forgotten. Because the guys in that team are very good it seems some parents and officials are having thier last grasp at glory.

To be honest I haven't really got an opinion on it as such, I don't know enough about the situation as it stands really.
One thing is, the decision is consistant with AFL Tasmania policy, because a few years ago, St Virgil's were playing in the Under-17 comp as Hobart's 'fourths' team (I was still involved at Hobart back then), but because St Virgil's were not an official Premier League club, they were removed from the competition as such.
And Sandy Bay Juniors would've known that, so it wasn't something that should've come flying out of left field to them.
As harsh as it seems, you can't exclude St Virgil's in one breath, but keep Sandy Bay Lions in the other when they both aren't Premier League clubs.
Having said that, I don't believe that Hobart Lions should solely benefit from their exclusion either - it should be up to the players to go where they see fit.
It does seem that they have forgotten all the kids below the 17's a bit doesn't it?
One thing I do know about, is that the Sandy Bay Junior Football Club have a distinct dislike of Hobart Lions Football Club, and in particular their dealings with one Philip Baker, who has been loosely described as a rude, arrogant pr|ck in his past dealings with them.
I often wonder if this is partly the reason why the fuss has been made of it.

Letters To The Editor - Mercury: 3rd April 2007

As the last president of the Sandy Bay Football Club, I believe it is time to state a few facts regarding the so-called demise of the Sandy Bay Junior Football Club.
Before doing so, may I first congratulate the committee and volunteers of this organisation who have done, and hopefully will continue to do, a magnificant job in fostering junior football in the Sandy Bay district.
The club richly deserves to be recognised as one of the best-run junior football organisations in Australia.
However, it saddens me to read the letters and hear the comments regarding the current situation.
As one who carries a broken heart regarding the demise of this once great club and the person who was left with the debt of the club, I would like to ask a few questions and state a few truths.
Where were all the letter writers and the older members of the SBJFC when I and my committee of five had to go guarantors to keep the club alive, and where were you when we needed all the support we could muster to try to save the Sandy Bay Senior Football Club?
If we had your support then, perhaps the club may have survived.
Football is a very emotional sport, especially when it involves the junior ranks, and I can fully understand what parents are having to face.
However, lets put a few facts in place.

• 1} The future of the SBJFC is not under threat, it is only the Under-17 team that is affected by the decision.
• 2} AFL Tasmania general manager Scott Wade didn't make the decision. It was a joint one by AFL Tasmania and the SFL.
• 3} The decision to move the Under-17 competition from AFL Southern Tasmania to the STJFL was originally initiated by that body.
• 4} The SBJFC/Hutchins Old Boys FC were given the opportunity to join the Premier League in 2003 before Lauderdale were given the chance. This was flatly rejected by both organisations.
• 5} The SBJFC is not a Premier League club, and thus cannot participate of in their own right in the premier under-17 competition.
• 6} Scott Wade and Sourthern Football League president Roger Viney have tried to broker an agreement between the SBJFC and Hobart Football Club, but to no avail.
• 7} I believe that the 14 recommendations put to the Hobart Football Club - who incidentally, agreed on all of them - and the SBJFC, who rejected them, were very fair and in fact favoured the SBJFC in most aspects.
• 8} The car stickers, banners and the petitions do not state the true fact - that the SBJFC in not under threat.
• 9} AFL Tasmania and the SFL have provided the SBJFC an opportunity to provide a pathway for the Under-17's, but this has been flatly rejected by an organisation who are not prepared to move an inch.
•10} The current SBJFC president has stated that the board members of that body would not want to get involved with any possible senior club.

Perhaps this is one reason that talks with the Hutchins Old Boys Football Club fell over, and may be the real reason why they won't accept the offer put to them.
I believe the SBJFC is not doing the right thing by the most important party - the players - if they are not prepared to fully explore the options available to them.
I believe this whole unfortunate situation is a classic example of not the facts get in the way of a good story.

W.A.F Sorell

One thing I do know about, is that the Sandy Bay Junior Football Club have a distinct dislike of Hobart Lions Football Club, and in particular their dealings with one Philip Baker, who has been loosely described as a rude, arrogant pr|ck in his past dealings with them.

If he is like that, he would fit in quite well with some well known identities down there. Pot calling the kettle black i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back