TDF 2011: Cadel Evans, Champion - stage 21 - Créteil Paris Champs-Élysées 95 km

Remove this Banner Ad

They re-jigged it this year. I'd agree a year in the past but, you don't think Sanchez was the best climber this year? Take a look at the Top 5 of the competition, there is no average climber. They've made sure the small climbs are very much devalued so the riders that get over the HC Clims first get a huge advantage. It may never be heralded as much as the other jerseys but it seemed Sanchez wanted it after he realised he wasn't really a podium shot.
almost felt to me like Sanchez and Contador decided to provide nuisance value to get riders to over extend their efforts this year.

Cadel Evans - what a champion :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Cadel always seemed to find himself in a weaken team. Silence-Lotto (now Omega Pharma - Lotto) was a team that just could not provide the support needed for Cadel to win the GC.

The move to BMC racing was the one that put Cadel much closer to having a team that could support him. With riders like George Hincapie who know you have riders that are going to lay the ground work for Cadel to come home with the victory.

A good read here ....

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...-than-a-very-tough-2011-tour-de-france_185972

GRENOBLE, France (VN) — In securing the first Tour de France title for Australia Saturday, Cadel Evans and his eight BMC Racing teammates silenced their critics after three weeks of seizing every opportunity they could find en route to the Champs-Élysées.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...-than-a-very-tough-2011-tour-de-france_185972

While this is my first post on this board I've been watching the tour for about 10 years now and I can't think of a more deserving champion than Cadel. Been through so much crap it's fantastic it finally all came together for him. Right team at the right time. They just had the plan, had a bit of luck (staying out of some of the crashes), had some great individual riders who still rode for the team... Cadel couldn't have asked for more really. While it was a team effort overall I think the grit Cadel showed from an individual ride was second to none. Dragging back the minutes against a breakaway Shleck & Contador was the highlight for me. He has a mechanical and rides the gap to bring them back... That's what the yellow means... Never give up, never drop your head, always stay strong even when your mind is telling you there is no possible way. Congrats Cadel, all of Australia is with you there on the first step mate!! :D:thumbsu:

Here's hoping Rojas can do something special and edge out Cav for green. Unlikely but would be nice to see.

this is so unlikely.

there are a few genuine hopes.

Cav - HTC will be trying to control the race from the front and if they're not they'll be chasing down any breaks.

Gilbert - ride it as a one day classic and try break away and use his strength to win

EBH - same as Gilbert

others - hope for a crash

Not ever being a cycling devotee nor an ardent follower of the Tour De France i've never quite 'got' the concept of the final day's non-competition ride where the leader on the penultinate day is able to essentially have a stage-long lap of honour.

The last stage is just always so utterly flat there's no way any serious GC contender could gain time, same as any other every flat stage.

Cadel thanking Collingwood fans, haha.:D

http://www.cadelevans.com.au/cadelsdiary.aspx

Saturday, 23 July 2011 Shorter stage....longer day - that's ok! Plan was, ride fast from (a) 'depart' to point (b) 'arrive'.... Couldn't get the stage win but, it was great for GC. Surreal even.... A huge thank you to everyone involved in this project, from team mates on the road, my teammates in the cars/trucks plane and bus around the race, the engineers at BMC, the management in the offices in Switzerland, Belgium, Australia, California. My coaches past and present, and all those who helped me to get here today; masseurs, physio's/osteopaths, orthopaedic surgeons (!), all the Aussie flag bearers; kangaroos, koala's, surflife savers, Collingwood supporters (*) and that nutty 'Crikey Cadel' crocodile (very original). I hope you enjoyed the ride thus far. I know I have! (*) I don't have anything against supporters, you just stand out like dogs ..... In Europe. We can be proud of it, Julia told me herself!
http://www.cadelevans.com.au/cadelsdiary.aspx

Hige effort by Cadel. I thought he'd blown it on the Galibier letting Andy get away too much, but his effort to close him down with no help was fantastic - as was getting back from the mechanical before d'Huez.

Interesting, I heard today (not sure whether true or not) that the BMC team reckoned that Cadel had 90 secs on Andy in the TT - so I guess they worked to that marker all tour. As it turned out they were conservative (he had 150).

I posted this on the Eagles board, from the SBS site, just some background on Cadel, some not relevant....:

Cadel Evans has had numerous set backs over the years but he is the finest cyclist in the world.
He was born with a broken nose, three weeks past his due date but at 34 years of age, he is going to become the first Australian to win the Tour de France.
At the age of eight he was kicked in the head by a horse, fracturing his skull and putting him in a coma for weeks. Doctors didn’t expect him to walk again after that accident but he has done a lot more than that. In Grenoble he was a dominant force.

Cant wait for tonight. Will most certainly be recording the whole stage. Its part of our history now

Did anyone follow Cadel's wife on twitter? big LOL's to be had :thumbsu: Seems like a lovely woman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant wait for tonight. Will most certainly be recording the whole stage. Its part of our history now

Did anyone follow Cadel's wife on twitter? big LOL's to be had :thumbsu: Seems like a lovely woman

http://twitter.com/#!/ChiaraPasserini

Loved her tweets...

Ehm ehm... Is this the right time to ask for my honorary Aussie citizenship? Together with the @BMCProTeam Boys?

Aussies!! No work for u on Monday! And if bosses get angry, I'll have a word with them!!

Classic :D :thumbsu:

Ive actually been looking forward to this stage, as I love Cavendish. He is the Usain Bolt of sprint cycling, and it should be another dominant display tonight
Cavendish isn't THAT great. He is an excellent sprinter but not substantially better than most of the top green jersey contenders.

It is HTC-Highroad sprint train that puts him so far above the rest. You have top-class guys like van Garderern and Martin driving the team through the stage, and then the leadout men. Goss and Renshaw could be green jersey contenders in their own right, having them to launch Cav is devastating.

I'm a lot more interested to see how Cavendish does if/when the team disbands, which is looking increasingly likely.

Cavendish isn't THAT great. He is an excellent sprinter but not substantially better than most of the top green jersey contenders.

It is HTC-Highroad sprint train that puts him so far above the rest. You have top-class guys like van Garderern and Martin driving the team through the stage, and then the leadout men. Goss and Renshaw could be green jersey contenders in their own right, having them to launch Cav is devastating.

I'm a lot more interested to see how Cavendish does if/when the team disbands, which is looking increasingly likely.

Goss is not a bunch sprinter so wouldn't be a green jersey contender in that right. He would have to do it the hard way. He isn't fast enough for bunch sprints on a consistent basis. He's not that type of rider.

He has always had arguably the best team support of all the sprint contenders. If anything, HTC Highroad is weaker than it has been in previous years with guys like Boassen Hagen and Hinecapie leaving.

So what does this mean for the tour down under?
More importantly is the effect it will have on GreenEdge. I reckon they have sponsor lining up out the door. They will be able to sign a stronger rooster and significantly improve their chances of wildcard for the Tour 2012 or at least a ProConti licence.

not too sure if anyone can view this:

354461138.jpg

354461138.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

TDF 2011: Cadel Evans, Champion - stage 21 - Créteil Paris Champs-Élysées 95 km

Remove this Banner Ad

Back