Preview Team vs Hawks (Dead Rubber Game for Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

McCarthy, wtf, that's random despite his form in the VFL, we don't need midfield coverage we need forward coverage, Medhurst was obvious.
But really the most baffling selection is where is Leon? Leon had good form, didn't get much of it against Geelong and is now 2 weeks in the VFL?
That bulls**t

Medders had his chance. He blew it. Get over it already.

Zahki he had one game back in the side mate

I woulda thought BOG in the twos last week earns him a callup

Not negative on the Jmac selection though, and i hope he does well.

But for mine an odd selection at this point in the season

Terrific to see reid back up and running... Reid vs Buddy, get used to it because it'll be going on for another decade, should be a good contest

Why is McCarthy deemed to just be a midfielder even though he has kicked 7 goals in the last month to Medhurst's 2. Can't attribute it just to Medhurst playing in the midfield either because McCarthy averages more disposals in that time as well.

Medhurst hasn't even kicked a goal in his last 3 AFL appearances. And you are right The Norm, an 98 point belting isn't the standard we can expect in the coming weeks, so if Medhurst can't get a touch in a game like that, why would we expect him to suddenly turn it on in a game that will be significantly harder?

We haven't picked a midfielder in this week, in actual fact we've picked our most inform small/medium forward.

My 5 cents - Medders didn't look completely out of sorts in the Bombers game, just rusty and in need of a game time . Medders when on song ( yes i know he hasn't done much since rd1) is a definite best 22 player.
J-Mac while having a great potential has only played one great game at AFL level, the final in Adelaide few years ago.
It's a weird decision and will only be proven a correct one if J-Mac has a good game.

It just leaves open a lot of unnecessary changes for finals week 1.

Brown for Fraser - near certainty
Presti for Brown - near certainty
Didak for McCarthy - obvious
Leon for Blair - tough call but fair for balance

Leon should be playing this week

It just leaves open a lot of unnecessary changes for finals week 1.

Brown for Fraser - near certainty
Presti for Brown - near certainty
Didak for McCarthy - obvious
Leon for Blair - tough call but fair for balance

Leon should be playing this week

Leon for Steele? JBlair has been playing better than Steele lately, alot better.

Leon for Steele? JBlair has been playing better than Steele lately, alot better.

Steele had 28 touches last week and was everywhere in the last quarter when the game was on the line.

My opinion is there will be two late changes. We will take out cloke and Thomas and put medhurst and Davis in the team. We have to do this as I can't see why mm would do this!! Strangest selections at this time of the year!! No wonder everyone is upset... These guys are serious matchwinners :|

Why is McCarthy deemed to just be a midfielder even though he has kicked 7 goals in the last month to Medhurst's 2. Can't attribute it just to Medhurst playing in the midfield either because McCarthy averages more disposals in that time as well.

Medhurst hasn't even kicked a goal in his last 3 AFL appearances. And you are right The Norm, an 98 point belting isn't the standard we can expect in the coming weeks, so if Medhurst can't get a touch in a game like that, why would we expect him to suddenly turn it on in a game that will be significantly harder?

We haven't picked a midfielder in this week, in actual fact we've picked our most inform small/medium forward.

3 of McCarthy's goals were in junk time when we got belted a couple of weeks back... Not disagreeing with his inclusion - somewhat suprised however, thought Medhurst may have got the nod after last week. Personally I think MM is getting some game time into all the possible fringe players before finals (Medhurst, McCarthy, Anthony, Davis, etc), seeing has he always raves on about the AFL/VFL intensity difference. Which is why it is ridiculous for people lynching guys like Medhurst, who haven't been in the best form and been at VFL for a while, for playing poorly in their first game back.

I like this move, let Davis and Medhurst get another good week in the VFL.. 2 Solid weeks is better than one and coming straight back in

1) Correct me if I'm wrong people, but wasn't JMac sidelined with a hamstring or calf no more than 5 or 6 weeks ago?

2) There's is no way in hell Blair should make way for anyone playing in the VFL, unless he turns the ball over with most of his possesions. He is like a mini-Pendles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish selection. Would have been much better go get AFL game time into Medhurst than bringing in J-Mac for 1 bloody game. No time to be blooding youngsters with the finals around the corner.

Whats next Wood for Jolly? Pfffttt

I think it's a good side, but I just don't see, when you've got nothing on the line, why you wouldn't play Leon or Medhurst to try to give them a chance at getting some form. You would hope Josh (but can he is understandable) and McCarthy aren't going to play much finals, so I don't see much merit in giving them a run against guys who could genuinely make a difference like Leon and Medders.

Ah well. No hodge is good for us too, not that this game matters all that much.

Read the VFL thread if you want to know why Davis is not in the side. Apparently the body language when on the bench would make even Richo shake his head.

Pretty certain MM would not reward petulance and an attitude like that when we are a real threat. Just ask dids and heater

Jmac was stunning in the twos last week, he looked a class above anyone else out there actually.

Leon looked slow..he has to be injured surely..for the last half season he looks to be fast shuffling, rather than any true pace. He reads the game very well , gets in the right spots, and that's how he exerts his pressure. But his best is behind him overall.

Medders tried his guts out last week and was very good. Unlucky not to be in this week, but again, his best may be behind him too.

Jmac could play this HFF role, exert forward pressure, tag an attacking back, and hurt the opposition offensively.

Sure he may not stay, but it's opening up all sorts of options and increasing our 'available and match fit depth' in the event of injury/suspension.

Swoop "Leon looked slow..he has to be injured surely..for the last half season he looks to be fast shuffling, rather than any true pace. He reads the game very well , gets in the right spots, and that's how he exerts his pressure. But his best is behind him overall."

I reckon he's had a groin injury (strain/tear?). You can see it when he runs. The other thing I've noticed about him lately is that he's hanging off the contested ball and getting pinged for hitting the play maker. When in form, he was the black flash that would dart into congestion and run out with the ball on his finger tips like everyone else was in slow motion. It might be a confidence thing, might be age or injury.

The other question mark over Leon is his finals form. I can't remember him firing in finals. If he's fit, I'd bring him in for the Dogs and let him be master of his own destiny based on that game. Even off the boil he's valuable in the forward line.

Medders. He's been handy but he hasn't really performed to capacity this year. Might be confidence or the team chemistry. I reckon he's an outside chance for another run depending on form and injuries of other players.

Why would they put Presti under the knife for a bruise? Given the risks there might be more to this.

I really like that team.
It's good that Fraser gets his 200, for him and also the team as he needs a senior game to help get back up to speed in case he is needed for the finals.

It's great that Reid is fit again.

I'm a major Macarthy fan.

I'd love a fit and firing Medhurst and Davis. But Davis has appeared far from fit and neither of them have been close to firing.

Unless we have injuries, I suspect that Davis and Medhurst have run their races. To me Medhurst is an outside chance to replace Dawes if the match committee think that he'll struggle in the finals. Assuming that Didak replaces Macarthy, I think that Davis is competing with the extra back flanker Goldsack. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Macarthy play well and hold his place, with Goldsack making way for Didak.

I'd be surprised if they didn't. I don't understood why you wouldn't play Davis this week though after missing last week. Even if he plays next week and you win that means he will have 1 game in five weeks- he will be very underdone if you guys make the PF.

IMO the reason we lost Cooney, Johnson and Higgins before that was that they were not match fit. I'm sure you guys will learn from our mistakes.

Good post, agree 100%
Your best small defender is out and we're not giving ANY of our small forwards a run the week before playing you in a final. Incredible really. It's even more incredible when you consider how much those two have owned you lately. Davis has had a poor season but in 1 game against you he kicked 4, in the other he was just about BOG. Meds also kicked 4 goals against you in Round 1 with Morris out.

I'm not knocking McCarthy but how many midfield/forwards do we need?? We kicked 6-18 last week, we rest our best kick for goal/highest goal kicker, our highest goal kicker from last week is suspended and we don't bring in a forward. LOL....

Reid for Jack and Fraser for Brown were obvious choices but Meds or Davis (or both) should have been in. With that said, I won't be surprised if there are late changes and they play anyway.

Good post, agree 100%
Your best small defender is out and we're not giving ANY of our small forwards a run the week before playing you in a final. Incredible really. It's even more incredible when you consider how much those two have owned you lately. Davis has had a poor season but in 1 game against you he kicked 4, in the other he was just about BOG. Meds also kicked 4 goals against you in Round 1 with Morris out.

I'm not knocking McCarthy but how many midfield/forwards do we need?? We kicked 6-18 last week, we rest our best kick for goal/highest goal kicker, our highest goal kicker from last week is suspended and we don't bring in a forward. LOL....

Reid for Jack and Fraser for Brown were obvious choices but Meds or Davis (or both) should have been in. With that said, I won't be surprised if there are late changes and they play anyway.

It's only Thurs. MM might be doing his "Silver Fox" routine.

Good post, agree 100%
Your best small defender is out and we're not giving ANY of our small forwards a run the week before playing you in a final. Incredible really.
But there is a major difference.

Cooney, Johnson, Higgins, and whoever else has got injured due to lack of match practice, THEY WEREN'T PLAYING IN THE VFL.

Yes, there is a marked difference between the AFL and the VFL, but it's still full contact, 120 minutes + of hard nosed, competitive football.

The Dogs players didn't have this, Meds, Leon, Jack, Wood etc all will and have.

I reckon he's had a groin injury (strain/tear?). You can see it when he runs. The other thing I've noticed about him lately is that he's hanging off the contested ball and getting pinged for hitting the play maker. When in form, he was the black flash that would dart into congestion and run out with the ball on his finger tips like everyone else was in slow motion. It might be a confidence thing, might be age or injury.

Why would they put Presti under the knife for a bruise? Given the risks there might be more to this.

Yep, that's how Leon seems, and yes he was the guy that darted in and made others seem in slo-mo. Not nearly so much now as you say.

Re Presti...in the thigh you can have very large haematomas ( ie blood pooled outside the vessels sitting in the tissues)

You can actually bleed to death into your thigh!

It's physical presence, plus the local inflammation it causes, prevents the muscles from contracting properly.

A large haematoma would takes many weeks to resolve...a quick incision to release the blood, would speed recovery ++.

Good decision definitely by the sound of things.

Re Presti...in the thigh you can have very large haematomas ( ie blood pooled outside the vessels sitting in the tissues)

A large haematoma would takes many weeks to resolve...a quick incision to release the blood, would speed recovery ++.

Good decision definitely by the sound of things.

It must have been a mighty corky (I didn't notice the light tower fall on him!?). I guess he'd get the best medical attention but I certainly wouldn't risk a staph infection in a public hospital for something that would normally resolve itself. That's why I wonder if there's not more too it. Bleeding to death in your thigh isn't your average bruise so I can see where the idea of a clot would come from.

But there is a major difference.

Cooney, Johnson, Higgins, and whoever else has got injured due to lack of match practice, THEY WEREN'T PLAYING IN THE VFL.

Yes, there is a marked difference between the AFL and the VFL, but it's still full contact, 120 minutes + of hard nosed, competitive football.

The Dogs players didn't have this, Meds, Leon, Jack, Wood etc all will and have.

Davis is ineligible to play VFL this week. In any case, there is a MASSIVE step-up from VFL to AFL, just ask Danny Stanley (or John McCarthy on most of the evidence thus far). Forwards in particular, require sharpness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back