Teams with the most to lose this Finals Series

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Freo - clock ticking and list ageing, may find it difficult to get themselves back up again should they fall short
2. Richmond - don't have much to lose in terms of winning the flag, but another quick exit and the vultures will be circling, belief could pose some issues if that were the case
3. North - won't win the flag, but have topped up accordingly and the time is now with their age profile
4. Sydney - 2012 flag takes some of the pressure off, but think they'll slide in the coming years and so chances may be running out to nab another one
5. Eagles - need to make a show of it to back up their strong H&A finish, but the possibility they'll receive more flag opportunities in the coming years may soften the blow somewhat if this year's push is unsuccessful
6. Hawthorn - have already won three since 2008, anything further is merely cream
7. Adelaide - finals was the pass mark this year and may be entering a flag window anyway, but will want to at least make a good account of themselves
8. Bulldogs - should be fairly satisfied with their progress already, developing a very potent list that will contend in future years

Freo clearly with the most to lose, if they do their coaches head will surely explode and they will have to bring back Mark Harvey :p

Hawks with the least to lose, ask any fan if they would be happy with 2 in a row then being knocked out in straight sets in the third year and few could complain.

Dogs will take any experience as a bonus
Kangas and Tiges probably need at least one win
Crows would likely take an honorable effort after the year they have had
Swans still have several years left to make a dent with the millions they have spent on Franklin and Tippett
West Coast fans I think would be proud already so as long as their team tries hard they surely could not be disappointed.

Results wise:
Tigers: Need a finals win. The loss to Port last year, then Carlton the year after (gifted a final against the 9th team). After all the hype for top 4 and flag contender talk, they need to turn up to his finals series and take something away from it. Have the easiest game to win this weekend

Fremantle: First time topping the league ladder and poll position for a flag. Yet arguably not the best team in the comp of late.

Hawks: a 4th flag in 7 years and a rare 3-peat would seal it for them as the greatest team ever. Its the sort of immortality you really don't want to lose. The signs are there for another crack in 2016, but this one would be about the best flag a team has ever won.

North: Veterans are likely to go around one more year. The list isn't anything amazing but can beat teams who don't turn up switched on. You can never underestimate their ability to win, but also their ability to undo everything good they've done. After last years finals, the next step was another prelim berth and maybe a win. Its a long shot here. A finals win from 8th would be a tick.

Swans: List is rebuilding with the likes of Mitchell and Heeney coming through. Tippett looks primed to impact the way he did a few years ago at Adelaide. Buddy is the key though. and the loss of Jack is unfortunate.

Crows, Dogs, Eagles - Surprised many by getting there. Straight sets by the Eagles would be a concern, but I'm tipping they make the Prelims. Dogs and Crows are such young outfits that their ability to make finals gets an A+ for the year.

Premiership win - It's obviously Fremantle. Been around the top for last 5 years and made 1 grand final and lost it. This is probably their last roll of the dice before a rebuild.

Finals win - Richmond. If they lose to North Hardwick may well get the flick.

If Hawks lose to West Coast and have to play Freo again for a GF berth, it will be one of the hardest routes to get to a flag.

Brisbane 2003 is the one that stands out at present - Melbourne(QF) -Brisbane (SF) -Sydney(PF) -Melbourne (GF).

If Hawks go Perth(QF)-Melbourne(SF)-Perth(PF)-Melbourne(GF), it will be an awesome achievement.

Try Crows in 1998.

Perth (R22) - Melbourne (QF) - Sydney (SF) - Melbourne (PF) - Melbourne (GF). No other team has travelled all four weeks - let alone a fifth at the end of H&A - and won the flag.

Crows would have to repeat that this year to win. They would also have to match their 1997 feat of winning four finals to take the flag (also a one-time occurence I believe) - in 1998 they lost the QF but had a second chance.

Anyway, my thoughts in regards to the thread...

1. Fremantle - Flag
Just have to win one now. Massive fail to lose it.

2. Sydney - Flag
They've sold the farm to buy Premierships. Failed last year and anything short of a flag this year is failure again.

3. North Melbourne - Prelim
Topped up with FA's in an attempt to have a crack. Would want to at least match last year or they've failed.

4. Richmond - Semi
Just have to win a final now. Third year in a row in finals but yet to win one.

5. Hawthorn - Prelim
They've been up for so long and had so much success that I don't think a flag is a must. They've got to slide eventually, and finishing 3rd behind the two WA teams would see a Prelim as a pass.

6. West Coast - Prelim
Nobody expected them to do so well this year - particularly when injuries hit. A prelim would be expected though considering they finished top 2 and will have two home finals.

7/8. Adelaide/Western Bulldogs - Finals Appearance
I think both clubs should be satisfied with their seasons for obvious reasons. A finals win is a bonus and a good springboard into 2016.

Agree with your assessments but don't think Adelaide or Footscray necessarily need to win their elimination final (although obviously one will). If you think of where Footscray came from last year anything on top of a finals appearance is an absolute bonus. And we all know about the emotional trauma the Crows have gone through this season, you couldn't blame them at all if they fell to pieces after the Walsh death, so making the Finals is an incredible achievement in itself.

So I think while the loser will obviously be extremely disappointed at the time, they can look back on the season and be pretty proud of their efforts. Both just need to be competitive in the elimination final.

Agree with you. I think both teams will get over 100 in an error ridden shootout, with teams taking advantages of each others mistakes. I would be surprised if it was decided by more than 2 goals. I doubt the winner would get past the semi final, would have to face probably Hawthorn or West Coast in the SF.

Hawthorn- a shot at absolute immortality awaits them.
Fremantle- how many times can you keep going to the well?
Richmond- 14 years since last finals victory.

These three have the most to lose for mine.

How I think it will finish.

1. West Coast = When they play their best they are awesome. I think they can go all the way.
2. Hawthorn = At their best they are great, they have a tough QF in Perth but they do have the belief to bounce back.
3. Fremantle = Had their chance in 2013 and faded in the 2nd half of the season, I think this year is their final chance.
4. Sydney = I think they can beat Fremantle in a QF, had past winning experience and play great. But Hawthorn in a preliminary final will be a challenge and home ground advantage won't mean anything.
5. Richmond = They will hopefully win their first final since 2001, they'd be glad they are not playing Port.
6 / 7. Western Bulldogs / Adelaide = A semi final appearance for either of these teams is a great result, especially for Adelaide who has had some tough times over recent years. The Dogs have done great. But there might not be next year for one of these clubs, so a win is super important here.
8. North Melbourne = Late season struggle, but a semi final would be a strong finish. I think Richmond will probably knock them out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most to lose:

Fremantle - Ross Lyon factor / ageing list
Richmond - been pumped up by the media / recent finals form isn't good
North Melbourne - recruited for a crack at the flag / fell short despite doing well last finals
Sydney - recruitment of Franklin and Tippett / Sydney market

Least to lose:

Adelaide - considered to have performed above expectations / death of Walsh
Western Bulldogs - young side / performed above expectations
Hawthorn - won the last 2 flags
West Coast - performed above expectations

Spot on:thumbsu:....Add to Freo, the fact they've never saluted.

Most was saying a few weeks ago Hawthorn were by far the best side in the comp. Then Richmond beat them and Richmond the got obliterated by Adelaide.

Footscray is playing a club in turmoil from their coach getting murder early July. They've had a soft draw, have finals experience. No excuses if they don't get the job done.

We need to win a final for the mental health of the fans, players, coaches and media.
In terms of the actual list direction, I still think we are a couple of years from peaking.
I envy Richmonds list at the moment.. No Key players are close to retiring

Right here, right now Norf are the most in danger of severe depression and inconsolable loss. In the likely event they lose this week, they will need to face the reality of an ageing list. It wont be pretty come Monday morning.

Footscray is playing a club in turmoil from their coach getting murder early July. They've had a soft draw, have finals experience. No excuses if they don't get the job done.

What finals experience have we had? We came from 15th last year after a early pre-season of hell. Not sure about having no excuses if we don't get it done.

What finals experience have we had?

One of your fans was gloating earlier about it. My apologies if I hastily believed his claims.

Not sure about having no excuses if we don't get it done.

What bit about our coach getting murdered in round 13 don't you understand? We have an intermin coach, a ring in football director.

No excuses losing to us, you finished higher on the ladder, the game is in Melbourne and we got flogged last week.

One of your fans was gloating earlier about it. My apologies if I hastily believed his claims.

What bit about our coach getting murdered in round 13 don't you understand? We have an intermin coach, a ring in football director.

No excuses losing to us, you finished higher on the ladder, the game is in Melbourne and we got flogged last week.

Yes, your group has shown great resilience there is no doubt about it. They could have easily fallen away this year and no one would have blamed them. Great leadership and support networks at play here. Great effort. Whilst the club and players will never get over the the murder of your coach, i'm sure this is part of their drive to finish 2015 as strong as they can. They will be focused this week and for Saturday's game.

The players won't be using the murder of your coach and an intermin coach as an excuse should they lose, and neither should they. There is a game of footy to play Saturday night and it will be won there and then.

Either way, dogs by plenty ;)

I envy Richmonds list at the moment.. No Key players are close to retiring
The good thing about our list is all the best players are young. We have a good core of 15 players that are in their low 20's.

But we need to add more depth and class to become a contender. A more potent forward line in particular. When the ball hits the ground in our forward line we're pretty average.

West Coast are a tricky one.

I understand the view that no one expected them to finish top two, so therefore they aren't under too much pressure. However it's such a massive opportunity for them to grab a flag and cash in on the home ground advantage. Yes they are young and should challenge again at some stage but you never know when that next chance will come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams with the most to lose this Finals Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Back