Technology assistance (wifi and broadband)

Remove this Banner Ad

ah ok, what area? Have you checked what your neighbours do?
Northeastern suburbs of Adelaide.

The issues are:

1) I’m in a bunch of 4 new houses.
2) Telstra cable is in the established houses but to extend it they want $2k
3) The ADSL exchanges are full and even if they weren’t, they are slow because of the congestion
4) Two companies known for their wireless satellite services have no current capacity until they develop/build new towers. The thing that pisses me off is last week my neighbor got connected yet I rang 4 weeks ago and was told they were full.

My other neighbour is using Telstra 4G which is hugely expensive for very little data.

So I’ve come across this new mob, Kern wifi, which I know very little about. They are telling me they can hook me up but I won’t know until they come out. Problem is the reviews are limited and they’ve been bagged in some.

I'm finding the NBN to be a bit of a mixed bag. The speed is good, when it works. Unfortunately, iiNet's DHCP servers seem to have fallen over repeatedly over the weekend - at least that's what my modem/router was telling me. What was really annoying was that they fell over right in the middle of the Crows game on Saturday night, and were down for an hour before I got connectivity back again.

I feel like I'm in a universal black hole compared to what I was used to.
Whilst the living standards are great back here, unfortunately the broadband is non existent where I am. And that being a top tourist spot.

Ok an update for those of you who haven’t been sleeping worrying about my internet:

On Saturday Uniti (who originally said 4 days ago I couldn’t get access) hooked up one of my other neighbors. The technician seeing I was about to explode tells me I will get it on Monday or Tuesday.

So I ring Monday, “sorry he shouldn’t have said that, we can’t do it” so I piled on some abuse! Waiting for a manger to call me back, I try again and some newbie answers and says “let me try and help”, thinking he’s taking the piss I was about to lose it but I could see he was trying. 10 mins later he has approval to hook me up on Tuesday.

And I’m typing this on my new service with 25mps download and 11mps upload!!!!!!!!

My parents place seems to be a black hole, there adsl2 is just about unusable even the speed tests time out sometimes or get less than 2mbps. Had a technician come out once or twice seems to fix it for a short time then it goes back to shit.

My parents place seems to be a black hole, there adsl2 is just about unusable even the speed tests time out sometimes or get less than 2mbps. Had a technician come out once or twice seems to fix it for a short time then it goes back to shit.
Are in SA? If so try Uniti, they’ve just changed their plans after sign up, $69, unlimited data and speeds up to 50mps.

You just need to go on their site and see if the address is a match as it’s satellite wireless, they’ve got to be happy with a dish on their roof thoughZ

Are in SA? If so try Uniti, they’ve just changed their plans after sign up, $69, unlimited data and speeds up to 50mps.

You just need to go on their site and see if the address is a match as it’s satellite wireless, they’ve got to be happy with a dish on their roof thoughZ
Yeah, they are in Bellevue Heights, near flinders uni, will have a look. Thanks

Yeah, they are in Bellevue Heights, near flinders uni, will have a look. Thanks
Also try Nuskope if Uniti is no good. I’m consistently getting speeds of 25mps with Uniti.

If they can sign up, let me know, I’ll give you my referral code, they and I will get a $200 gift card.

Also try Nuskope if Uniti is no good. I’m consistently getting speeds of 25mps with Uniti.

If they can sign up, let me know, I’ll give you my referral code, they and I will get a $200 gift card.
I've been on NBN fixed wireless for over 18 months on a 25/5 plan, can go up to 50/20 but I can do everything I need to do on the former, apart from NBN scheduled maintenance every now and then where you may be down for a few hours it's bloody brilliant. 100gb plan for $39.95 which I'm yet to come even close to using up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been on NBN fixed wireless for over 18 months on a 25/5 plan, can go up to 50/20 but I can do everything I need to do on the former, apart from NBN scheduled maintenance every now and then where you may be down for a few hours it's bloody brilliant. 100gb plan for $39.95 which I'm yet to come even close to using up
NBN is available in 2020, I’m just bloody relieved I’ve got decent internet given I was staring at having none.

NBN is available in 2020, I’m just bloody relieved I’ve got decent internet given I was staring at having none.
Copied this from Facebook....:D

After having dug to a depth of 10 feet last year, British scientists found
traces of copper wire dating back 200 years and came to the conclusion that
their ancestors already had a telephone network more than 150 years ago.

Not to be outdone by the British, in the weeks that followed, an American
archaeologist dug to a depth of 20 feet, and shortly after, a story
published in the New York Times: "American archaeologists, finding traces of
250-year-old copper wire, have concluded that their ancestors already had an
advanced high-tech communications network 50 years earlier than the
British".

One week later, Australia's Northern Territory Times, reported the
following:

"After digging as deep as 30 feet in his backyard in Tennant Creek, Northern
Territory, aboriginal Billi Bunji, a self-taught archaeologist, reported
that he found absolutely ****-all.
Billi has therefore concluded that 250 years ago, Australia had already
gone wireless..."

Makes me feel bloody proud to be Australian!

Not wifi or broadband related but do any eggheads on here know how to upgrade android on a phone. For some reason I have android version 5 ( and no the phone isn't old, maybe 12 months) and all I need is it to upgrade to 6 for an app I need (Brewart), have gone into my phone, tried android updates and the bastard says I am up to date I have looked on EweTube and any tutorials are done in an accent nobody could understand or they are showing you and then say "so then you do this" and yeah, I don't have that function.

Is there an easy way or am I destined to bust out maybe 70 bucks on a phone I don't want to replace a phone I didn't want.

BTW, not a big phone person, likelihood I would have the phone with me when I go out...0%

Not wifi or broadband related but do any eggheads on here know how to upgrade android on a phone. For some reason I have android version 5 ( and no the phone isn't old, maybe 12 months) and all I need is it to upgrade to 6 for an app I need (Brewart), have gone into my phone, tried android updates and the bastard says I am up to date I have looked on EweTube and any tutorials are done in an accent nobody could understand or they are showing you and then say "so then you do this" and yeah, I don't have that function.

Is there an easy way or am I destined to bust out maybe 70 bucks on a phone I don't want to replace a phone I didn't want.

BTW, not a big phone person, likelihood I would have the phone with me when I go out...0%
They're currently up to Android 9 (Pie), so if your phone's manufacturer hasn't released an upgrade to Android 6 by now, then you're probably not going to get one.

I’m with Uniti, getting 50 on Ethernet, but wifi has been shit, fluctuating and sometimes very slow.

They reckon it’s either modem or interference/congestion and to try another modem. I don’t have another modem, so I’d have to buy one. Before I do, what do the gurus think? Scorpus

I’m with Uniti, getting 50 on Ethernet, but wifi has been shit, fluctuating and sometimes very slow.

They reckon it’s either modem or interference/congestion and to try another modem. I don’t have another modem, so I’d have to buy one. Before I do, what do the gurus think? Scorpus

Use an app like WiFi Analyzer to see if there's anyone using the same WiFi bands in your area. If so, you might need to change bands or use 5 GHz WiFi

Remove this Banner Ad

Back