Ted Richards Punctured Lung

Remove this Banner Ad

Fricken OWWWWWWWWWWWW. Ted got destroyed. Season over. That's a nasty, tough, brave footy collision.

Fev's a menace to drop back in front of, cos he's heavy, fast, and has no leap whatsoever, so he tends to plow straight in rather than go over the top. That's three guys he's taken out this year, Harding (NM), Richards (SS) and oHailpin (Carlton... DOH).

Best of luck, Ted, for a full, speedy recovery and be ready to rock in 2010.

It was Pratt he got in our pre-season game, the problem is he leads with his knee out if there is a player in his way so if he hits the bottom ribs they will break and there are a lot of organs they can damage.

It is probably one of the most dangerous things you can do to someone, far more dangerous than many of the tackles they have outlawed.

It is also a stupid thing to do, if he keeps doing it and hits someone in the spine he can risk paralysing them or do his knee in the process. Most people use the length of the lower leg against the back and the muscles in the leg take a lot of the force out from the blow like a spring.

It is why ruckman dont run and stick their knees out at eachother anymore, so easy to do a knee sticking it out like that.

Exactly, that's why I saw red. Their was no need for it at all. It was obvious from the vision he was in trouble.

Footy aside, I just hope he has a speedy recovery without too much pain.

A big thumbs up Ted. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Bunch of knobs if they cant give credit for richards' actions. A huge plus to see him do that even when the game was lost. Perilous but brave to run with the flight into the path of a big forward and a real shame he will miss weeks as a result.

Gutsy by Richards, very gutsy. Every defender in the comp knows Fev uses his knees to protect himself, Knocked Slattery clean out last year with his knee.

Wouldnt have been the EJ Whitten Bar would it EatBig Australia?

It was Pratt he got in our pre-season game, the problem is he leads with his knee out if there is a player in his way so if he hits the bottom ribs they will break and there are a lot of organs they can damage.

It is probably one of the most dangerous things you can do to someone, far more dangerous than many of the tackles they have outlawed.

It is also a stupid thing to do, if he keeps doing it and hits someone in the spine he can risk paralysing them or do his knee in the process. Most people use the length of the lower leg against the back and the muscles in the leg take a lot of the force out from the blow like a spring.

It is why ruckman dont run and stick their knees out at eachother anymore, so easy to do a knee sticking it out like that.

The knees come up in marking situations for leverage all the time. Problem is, Fev just doesnt jump that high.

I'm sorry mate, Kudos to the courage of the young bloke that got cleaned up and I wish him all the best, but Fev has a right to lead up and contest the footy.

Put it this way... I wouldn't want to be backing into a Tony Lockett/ Barry Hall at full speed!

Ive watched replays of the incident and it was both insanely brave by Richards (and by your boy Pratt) and bloody sickening at the same time, but Fev didn't do anything wrong. He was leading to a contest and the loose man backed into his space.

Fev wasn't trying to intentionally hurt any of those blokes.

He weighs 106kgs and is fast. Won the GF sprint a few years back. If you are going to put someone in his space backing back with the ball, they are likely going to get hurt. At least it might make the loose man think twice before exposing his back and ribs to a leading power forward.

Hope Teddy has a swift and safe recovery.

The knees come up in marking situations for leverage all the time. Problem is, Fev just doesnt jump that high.

I'm sorry mate, Kudos to the courage of the young bloke that got cleaned up and I wish him all the best, but Fev has a right to lead up and contest the footy.

Put it this way... I wouldn't want to be backing into a Tony Lockett/ Barry Hall at full speed!

Ive watched replays of the incident and it was both insanely brave by Richards (and by your boy Pratt) and bloody sickening at the same time, but Fev didn't do anything wrong. He was leading to a contest and the loose man backed into his space.

Fev wasn't trying to intentionally hurt any of those blokes.

He weighs 106kgs and is fast. Won the GF sprint a few years back. If you are going to put someone in his space backing back with the ball, they are likely going to get hurt. At least it might make the loose man think twice before exposing his back and ribs to a leading power forward.

Hope Teddy has a swift and safe recovery.

Yes, he has the right to contest, he doesn't have the right to put his knee through someone rib cage. It is only a matter of time until someone gets seriously hurt or killed in an incident that could be avoided by not allowing players to plow through with the knee up.

You used to be able to stick your boot out in a marking contest at someone running towards you but you can't do that anymore.

It's impossible to overrate the courage required to back into packs and leading forwards the way Richards does every week. We're definitely going to miss him.

I'm a big fan of Teddy for precisely this sort of play. While his form has been down recently, at his best he is a gun. However, there is a silver lining: this injury opens up a spot for someone like Brendan Murphy to come in and fill that loose man role. I would LOVE to see Murph come in next week. Play him on Melbourne's least dangerous forward, tall or small, and let him run off half back.

Yes, he has the right to contest, he doesn't have the right to put his knee through someone rib cage. It is only a matter of time until someone gets seriously hurt or killed in an incident that could be avoided by not allowing players to plow through with the knee up.

You used to be able to stick your boot out in a marking contest at someone running towards you but you can't do that anymore.

It could also be avoided by not standing in front of him when hes trying to mark, you stand in front of any big leading forward like Fev and your going to get hurt. Its common knowledge Fev uses his knees to protect himself and he should have the right to protect himself.

You mention players getting seriously hurt or killed, you could get seriously hurt or killed from a hip and shoulder or a tackle, so going by your logic we should not allow players to tackle or hip or shoulder either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, no issue with anything Fev did in marking contest. I challenge anyone to sprint and jump to take a mark without putting their knee up. Both had eyes on the ball.

I agree it was brave of Richards but possibly a bit stupid. I've heard Glen Archer talk about how he had to learn when to go back and when not to, as he just ended up getting injured and not helping his team at times early in his career.

All the best to Richards, hope all goes well with his recovery.

I think this was the most courageous act I have seen from us in quite some time... The game was over there was only a minuet left on the clock... To do that really shows how much he loves our club and how much he is willing to risk :thumbsu:

If he gets back we should never drop him again he is a true inspiration to us :thumbsu:

I think this was the most courageous act I have seen from us in quite some time... The game was over there was only a minuet left on the clock... To do that really shows how much he loves our club and how much he is willing to risk :thumbsu:

If he gets back we should never drop him again he is a true inspiration to us :thumbsu:

It was a very brave act, no quedtion. But if you think it was "the most courageous act" you've seen from a Swan in some time, you must never watch Kirk or J Bolton, who throw themselves potentially into the teeth of hell at every ruck contest.

It was a very brave act, no quedtion. But if you think it was "the most courageous act" you've seen from a Swan in some time, you must never watch Kirk or J Bolton, who throw themselves potentially into the teeth of hell at every ruck contest.

I know that...

But I swear he knew what was going to happen then with only a minuet left as well.... He must of known what was going to happen then...

And the circumstances in which he did it.... We weren't even competing for the match it was done and dusted...

Its common knowledge Fev uses his knees to protect himself and he should have the right to protect himself.

Yes he does have the right to protect himself but not by using his knees. Using this logic Teddy would be quite within his rights too back into packs or marking contests with elbows raised knocking teeth out, as he was only exercising his right to protection.

I still havent seen the incident, I jumped in the shower halfway through the last.. But as described, its very unfortunate for Ted, but I still hope the AFL doesnt make a knee jerk reaction with another rule change, fwiw, Teds courage was/is awsome and those sort of acts make our game great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ted Richards Punctured Lung

Remove this Banner Ad

Back