Tell me why

Remove this Banner Ad

GIVELIDSTHEFOOTY

Team Captain
Sep 19, 2008
Melbourne West
AFL Club
Richmond
Hawthorn,Essendon,Carlton and even Melbourne have taken bigger steps on inproving there game we have had just as good drafts picks as them.Is it the PLAYERS is it the Coach is it the BOARD is it the RECRUITING.I am dumb founded and i'm to guessing as to know the reason WHY we are so bloody hopless and the bacis of football the SHEPERDING hopless under pressure it's like i'll get rid of the ball put a team mate under the pump then it's not my problem anymore.Why carn't they play as a team i don't know if i can go and watch much more of this which kills me.

There are a number of reasons:

1. We played the same old players, they went with kids.
2. We accept mediocrity, they don't.
3. We have chopped and changed plans every year sometime every week. They seem to have stuck by their plans.
4. We have lacked leadership from the top down. They have strong leadership from the top.
5. All of the above.

There are a number of reasons:

1. We played the same old players, they went with kids.
Surely you are not that stupid.... we have played the kids.
2. We accept mediocrity, they don't.
Yes the Hakws sure accepted crap the first 2 seasons with Clarkson and the blues with Ratten... The tanked better than us. Have you been watching how crap Melbourne and Carlton have been???
3. We have chopped and changed plans every year sometime every week. They seem to have stuck by their plans.
?????? yes well this is NOT the coach;s fault, his recruiting responsibilities were taken away from him.
4. We have lacked leadership from the top down. They have strong leadership from the top.
I agree with this.... March has been woeful.. appointing Craig Cameron ??? Inside bickering from the board members, sacking Miller... Wallace needed supprt and got none.. Geelong gave Thompson %100 support and it worked...
5. All of the above.
????

Surely you are not that stupid.... we have played the kids.
There is playing kids week after week and there is playing the kids for 2-3 weeks and then dropping them because they don't appear to be capable of winning the game of their own boot. Those clubs did/do it the first way and we have continually done it the second way.

Yes the Hakws sure accepted crap the first 2 seasons with Clarkson and the blues with Ratten... The tanked better than us. Have you been watching how crap Melbourne and Carlton have been???
Yes they accepted crap results, but it was part of a bigger plan, which revolves around the first point which was getting games into the kids no matter what. The Hawks have gone from a side that was bottom 6 2 years ago to reigning premiers. Carlton another side that put game time into the kids every week. Melbourne not winning games at the moment but are getting games into kids and I'm willing to bet will be back in the 8 before we are.

?????? yes well this is NOT the coach;s fault, his recruiting responsibilities were taken away from him.
Its not just the recruiting Nut, its the change in gameplans from one season to the next. We started off with a plan to build a fast hard running counter attacking side. Drafting light weight flanker types, then the game becomes close quarters contested footy and we've got a coach trying to get kids, who aren't designed to play this type of game, wondering why they get brushed aside. We have a side that has poor kicking skills and decision making yet our coach wants us to play a chip chip style when we're trying to go forward and he then wonders why we have so many turnovers.

The other thing is the constant moving of players from forwards to backs and back again. Schulz first 2 years they want him to be a forward. Years 3-4 they want him to be a CHB, now in year 5 they change him back to a forward again. Polak brought in a back, moved forward during the preseason, couple of quiet games and gets moved back again. Struggling up forward, he gets moved back again. 4 years after drafting Tambling Wallace has admitted that he still has no idea where he best position is. Now that he seems to be doing well as a HF/midfielder whats the bet he gets pushed into the backline again in the next couple of weeks. Richo moved to the wing to develop the forward line, yet as soon as the forward line struggles he throws Richo back down there again. The continual moving of Deledio from a mid to a back to a forward to a mid to a back to a forward. How the hell are players supposed to develop if they are never quite sure where the hell they are going to line up from one week to the next.

I agree with this.... March has been woeful.. appointing Craig Cameron ??? Inside bickering from the board members, sacking Miller... Wallace needed supprt and got none.. Geelong gave Thompson %100 support and it worked...
????
Well at least we agree on this. :)

If wallet had of played kids for the first two years and cleaned out all of the rubbish from the first day - , we would of bottomed out completely and now we would be up the ladder and Wallet would have a job. We would have a much better list than what we do now. Lets not forget Chris Hyde and Tivers only got delisted last year and I think thats a joke!

Wallet was big on players earning a spot, that RIcho and Bowden need to have incentive to play so we can make finals so we should not bottom out.

Football has changed, if you are going to rebuild u need to build and u have to give kids a game even if they dont earn it. There is no point in giving Mark Graham a game becuase he wont be there after year 1 or give Hyde a game because he dominted a VFL game but he continue to make the same mistakes in the seniors.

I reckon about 8 players didnt derseve a game for the bombers last round, but they played the kids and look what happend.

Rolls reversed, there is no way Wallet would of dropped Lucas last week if he was coach, Knights had Fletcher, McViegh, Hille, Welsh out injured. Knights could of made an easy decision and kept Lucas in the side however he made a tough decision and dropped him.

Neagle didnt dominate the two's to take Lucas spot however Lucas played that Badly where the coach was not going to accept below par performances and dropped him.

Knights made a tuff call, Wallet has yet to make one tuff call in his 5 year tenure.

I guaranttee that N Brown comes straight into the seniors this week. He wont go through the twos and thats what really gives me the sh!ts

When Clarkson took over and Nick Holland wanted to continue on the list , Holland played twos during the year, last year J White and A Yze played majority of the year in the twos for Melbourne.
We have not embraced the rebuilding stage at punt road and have not been fully committed did u see Hawks or Dees pick up a player like M Graham, Kent Kingsley Knobel?????
End of story.
I think our list is reasonable but we lack another quality kid, the only way to do it is to bottom out this year because once we go pass this year we are going to struggle to find quality kids with GC and West Sydney coming in.
If Melbourne win less than 5 games and get the first two picks in the draft there list will well and truly go beyond ours

Why is everyone going on about how much Essendon are playing the kids. They have been playing Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher, McVeigh (?) week in week out, and some may say it is to get "immediate results". Yet somehow us playing Richo, Bowden and Simmonds/Brown is a problem?

Also, at Delids' post, what do you mean Wallace wouldn't have dropped Lucas? Lucas and Simmonds have had very similar seasons to date, yet Wallace dropped Simmonds in favour of 2 inexperienced ruckmen before Knights dropped Lucas. And when Wallace dropped him we were already missing Brown, Johnson and Cousins, so you can't argue that they were missing more experienced players than we were.

I'm not saying Wallace should stay, in fact I think we need to get rid of him asap. However, our list is in fine shape, it is just our gameplan that needs work. I still believe our list is far better than Carlton's is. And people talking about how much better Carlton are than us, they have won only 2 games more than us this year and will probably miss finals IMO. As soon as we get a new coach, we will slingshot past them on the ladder ;)

we have a good core of young players, not entirely balanced in terms of KPP but a good core nonetheless...Despite not saluting in recent weeks Ive been bouyed by the performances of more youngsters in Collins, Nahas and Gus...None of which were in the frame prior to R1 ...we need to get back to the drawing board but dont be caught up in the hysteria on our list, most clubs would crawl over broken glass to nab some of our players

IMO Melbourne are four or five years from domiminating the comp. The recruiting they have done in the last 3 years is excellent. They can even let their next star "Watts" play school footy. No pressure to get him in to AFL. Just letting him develop at his own pace with quailty guidence.

Essendon this season have played an attacking, risky game plan which allows the young players to use their pace, cut back into the corridor, pull the trigger and kick to a forward or at goal.

Whilst we have recruited fairly well we have also recuited some spuds or players who can't execute the game plan. It also doesn't help changing the game plan year to year or in some cases during the game (round 7 2009 1st quarter [run carry attack] to 4th quarter [what do you want to do guys])

Our future is not all doom and gloom but unless we expose the youth on our list to week after week footy (not in for a week or two and then out) and to a game plan suitable to their body size and speed then we will continue to flounder.

Don't any of you wonder why our players which drop back to VFL and then dominate. (Yes it may be a weaker competition) The game style is more simplistic, easier to execute and more suitable to our list. We are just not ready to compete with the rolling zones etc. Too much skill is required to execute it.

That IMO is why we are where we are today:eek:

Because this club has a shocking culture that folds under the pressure from fans and media. We have not been hard enough in making the tough calls on senior players where other clubs have.

It seems as while other clubs were bottoming out to gain higher picks, Richmond were the bunnies in trying to win as many games as possible in the 05/06 seasons thinking it was the right thing for the club when we should have also bottomed out.

the draft picks arent very good and they get picked time and time again, its like a burden and drag the side down. basically they go into a game with 16 players and 6 passengers so its got to take its toll as the game wears on.

the development isnt as good as those other sides, they drafted too many of the wrong type of player.

none of you thought this last year in the second half of the season, we seem to be down on confidence more then anything, im still expecting a second half of the season revival all be it to late for wallace but a revival none the less.

Our side is essentially the same wit ha good group of kids coming through and amongst them some real stars. TW said 2 years ago that this team wouldnt hit it best until 2012 when we would have a sustained period of success. Its dissapointing this year but not much has gone right.

On a brighter note Graham who was roundly abused on here over the last couple of years has shown he has what it takes to be a big mobile ruckman like all ruckman it akes time to get there body right. Jackson and White have stepped up with Jackson being one of our best in the first half of the season he also was roundly abused on here.
Tambling has had a very good season so far and has shown plenty.

Now if a lot of the punters on here had had there way Jackson, Graham and Tambling would not be in the side now and we would be complaining that we dont develop players well enough.

Coughlin has made a very good comeback and if he can remain injury free will be a big part of our midfield going forward. A midfield made up of Coughlin, Deledio, Foley, Cotchin, Cousins, Tuck and even Collins who is a real surprise to me and things dont look to bad for the next couple of years.

Our backline has the makings of something special with Rance, Mcguane (who people thought we should trade to gold coast) Moore and Thursfield.

Now im not saying everything is peachy at the moment but I beleive we have the makings of a very good team and whoever gets the coaching job next year is going to have a much easier job then TW has had over the last 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still believe our list is far better than Carlton's is. And people talking about how much better Carlton are than us, they have won only 2 games more than us this year and will probably miss finals IMO. As soon as we get a new coach, we will slingshot past them on the ladder ;)[/quote]

You are joking right?
Far better, they have won 3 games with a percentage of 117% we have won one game percentage of 76%.
THey have lost 3 games under 10 points.

Even last year i thought they had a better list , they have to have a better list with that many first picks and tanking.

Fev is better than any of our Forwards

Betts is better than any of our small forward

Judd is better than any of our mids, then they have Gibbs Murphy and Stevens, just to add icing to the cake

Kruezer is better than any of our rucks

Jamieson is equal if not better than any our defenders.

We need to hit with this draft and we need to give ourselves the best opportunity to draft the best kids.

3 picks in the top 20 before we start trading for picks.

If we don't hit in this draft before Gold Coast & West Sydney come in - I dont know where we will be in 10 years. Members & supporters will not put up with anymore.

none of you thought this last year in the second half of the season, we seem to be down on confidence more then anything, im still expecting a second half of the season revival all be it to late for wallace but a revival none the less.

Our side is essentially the same wit ha good group of kids coming through and amongst them some real stars. TW said 2 years ago that this team wouldnt hit it best until 2012 when we would have a sustained period of success. Its dissapointing this year but not much has gone right.

On a brighter note Graham who was roundly abused on here over the last couple of years has shown he has what it takes to be a big mobile ruckman like all ruckman it akes time to get there body right. Jackson and White have stepped up with Jackson being one of our best in the first half of the season he also was roundly abused on here.
Tambling has had a very good season so far and has shown plenty.

Now if a lot of the punters on here had had there way Jackson, Graham and Tambling would not be in the side now and we would be complaining that we dont develop players well enough.

Coughlin has made a very good comeback and if he can remain injury free will be a big part of our midfield going forward. A midfield made up of Coughlin, Deledio, Foley, Cotchin, Cousins, Tuck and even Collins who is a real surprise to me and things dont look to bad for the next couple of years.

Our backline has the makings of something special with Rance, Mcguane (who people thought we should trade to gold coast) Moore and Thursfield.

Now im not saying everything is peachy at the moment but I beleive we have the makings of a very good team and whoever gets the coaching job next year is going to have a much easier job then TW has had over the last 5 years.

Bookmark this post for a /bump in 2 years time... on the money in my opinion :thumbsu:

Why, because with Hawthorn we remember the Clarkson years not the Schwab ones and forget how long they have been at this rebuilding caper, Carlton were such crap for so long that they had a myriad of No1 picks, including another No1 in the PSD, brilliantly drafting No1's who pick themselves, very strategic, and Essendon havent achieved anything just yet other than some noteable wins in 09 similar to ours in 08.

Why, because with Hawthorn we remember the Clarkson years not the Schwab ones and forget how long they have been at this rebuilding caper, Carlton were such crap for so long that they had a myriad of No1 picks, including another No1 in the PSD, brilliantly drafting No1's who pick themselves, very strategic, and Essendon havent achieved anything just yet other than some noteable wins in 09 similar to ours in 08.
So you don't think Carlton Essendon & Hawthorn are more advanced than us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back