Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Every year at Richmond Wallace has recycled one or more players.
When will he learn? Not many delisted players go on to star at another club and why oh why would you pass and save a pick for the PSD? Going to put more junk in the trunk?
With the Gold Coast coming into the draft why wouldn't they take a couple of bottom aged 17 year old who could go much higher next year?
Some things never change.

When will he learn? Not many delisted players go on to star at another club and why oh why would you pass and save a pick for the PSD? Going to put more junk in the trunk?
With the Gold Coast coming into the draft why wouldn't they take a couple of bottom aged 17 year old who could go much higher next year?

Thanks Emma,Ive read the Real Footy article.

seth

and why oh why would you pass and save a pick for the PSD? Going to put more junk in the trunk?

Why not criticize the other clubs that did the same thing and passed their last choice?

By passing you get a chance to invite potential recruits to train with you to further evaluate them and to be keep an eye on others training with other clubs.

Why not criticize the other clubs that did the same thing and passed their last choice?

By passing you get a chance to invite potential recruits to train with you to further evaluate them and to be keep an eye on others training with other clubs.
You talk too much sense. Even Richmond supporters are struggling with the concept.

You do realise that we have a PSD pick plus 5 Rookie spots up for grabs!

Smart play IMO, Hislop is only 20 so still has 10 years left.

and why would we want to put underage players on our main list when we can put them on our Rookie list? If they aren't going to play next year its a waste of money and a senior list spot!

Hislop will play next year where a skinny project player wont! Stupid OP! we utilise our Rookie list for the reason it was put in place! Let Richmond worry about Richmond.

You do realise that we have a PSD pick plus 5 Rookie spots up for grabs!

Smart play IMO, Hislop is only 20 so still has 10 years left.

and why would we want to put underage players on our main list when we can put them on our Rookie list? If they aren't going to play next year its a waste of money and a senior list spot!

Hislop will play next year where a skinny project player wont! Stupid OP! we utilise our Rookie list for the reason it was put in place! Let Richmond worry about Richmond.

An apology to the OP is due - Underage players CANNOT be rookie listed! You should be embarrassed.

You are correct and i already know that. i was refering to rookie listing project players! i realise now i worded that incorrectly and i apologise for that.

but why would we draft skinny project players who will not play next year or even the year after when we can take a ready made midfielder that can and is only 2 years older?

Also players that qualify for under/18 football (first year u/18's this year) next year can be rookie listed! It is players who only qualify for drafting (turned 17 y.o just before the cut off date) that cannot.

I have nothing to be embarresed about, ive been involved in applying for the draft in 03/04. I understand the rules.

He might be a recycled player but he was never delisted due to his lack of ability. Imo it will prove to be a fantastic move by the Tigers to pick him up. Will be very good for them off half back. Don't underestimate this kid - he might have a bit of attitude (or so he is said to have) but he's definitely got something there for Richmond to work with.

You are correct and i already know that. i was refering to rookie listing project players! i realise now i worded that incorrectly and i apologise for that.

but why would we draft skinny project players who will not play next year or even the year after when we can take a ready made midfielder that can and is only 2 years older?

Also players that qualify for under/18 football (first year u/18's this year) next year can be rookie listed! It is players who only qualify for drafting (turned 17 y.o just before the cut off date) that cannot.

I have nothing to be embarresed about, ive been involved in applying for the draft in 03/04. I understand the rules.

OK then - sorry for coming on a bit strong...

FWIW I think Hislop is worth a late pick. For mine, Richmond's problem was that they were too conservative in their list management, and probably should have had more choices in the draft

Very surprised the Tiger's only took 3 picks given the uncomprimised drafts coming up.

I don't think you can rookie 17 year olds can you? They could get snapped up next year if you don't punt on them now in the draft.

More surprised Sydney didn't have a massive restructure of their list. They are on the decline, so why not try to fix that problem now as much you can, rather than wait until the draft gets very hard to rebuild from when the Gold Coast re-enters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wallace is not in charge of recruiting. Guerra, Dew, Smith, Jacobs, Croad, Salmon, Everitt, Gilham, Barker and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head say hi, you ignorant hypocrite.
That's odd list of players you've chosen to group into one because they were completely different recruiting staff and coaches over different periods for the club, and all of them have turned out to be good players for us.

Also funny how I read Tiger supporters all bag Frawley for the state of their list when he left, but read you state "Wallace is not in charge of recruiting"

Maybe Frawley should be cut the same slack given it was half a decade ago.

The obsession with Richmond Continues, that is deserving of a card mods, look at most of his previous posts

Wallace is not in charge of recruiting. Guerra, Dew, Smith, Jacobs, Croad, Salmon, Everitt, Gilham, Barker and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head say hi, you ignorant hypocrite.

You can only judge the current coach.

Have only drafted 1 delisted player and even that was the Pre Season draft - Guerra and he is a now a premiership player.
Gilham was a rookie pick which Hislop could have been. Gilham is now a premiership player.
Croad returned home. He is now a premiership player.

When your drafting is considered the best in the business and lands you a premiership in your 4th season you can't complain!

Also funny how I read Tiger supporters all bag Frawley for the state of their list when he left, but read you state "Wallace is not in charge of recruiting"

Maybe Frawley should be cut the same slack given it was half a decade ago.
The big difference between the Frawley years and the present is the expanded football dept we have now which includes more resources into recruiting.

Have only drafted 1 delisted player and even that was the Pre Season draft - Guerra and he is a now a premiership player.
Gilham was a rookie pick which Hislop could have been. Gilham is now a premiership player.

When your drafting is considered the best in the business and lands you a premiership in your 4th season you can't complain!

You say you have only drafted 1 delisted player - Guerra.
How exactly did Gilham get to your club then?

Stewy Dew doesn't count as a recycled player???:confused:

Gilham was rookie listed, so yes technically drafted. The rookie list is for risks like that and now he is a premiership player.

Dew was not delisted, he retired.

Yeah, but in your OP you were taking aim at the idea of wasting picks on "recycled players".

All clubs have some recycled players, and some have had more success with them. Our 2004 premiership team was littered with guys on a second chance.

The OP was about drafting delisted players.
Trading is a key part of list management as well, Port showed that in 2004.
My point is not many delisted players go on to get better, yes there are always exceptions such as Guerra, but on the whole delisted players are a waste of time.

yeh i agree, leigh brown is gonna be hopeless for the pies next year
If all goes to plan, Leigh Brown won't play for the Pies next year.

But if we get a serious injury to one of our KP players, I'd be more comfortable putting Leigh Brown in as cover than an 18 year old that we've just drafted and who has never played AFL football.

Say what you want about Leigh Brown, but he's played 180 games of AFL footy, which is a far greater achievement than is likely for a pick #73. We already have heaps of young talent, and we're about to add 6 more young kids in the rookie draft, including our NSW Scholarship player Scott Reed, who would've gone far higher than pick #73 in the draft.

Leigh Brown is cover, nothing more, nothing less. Personally, I would have at least passed on the pick and waited until the PSD to draft him, but I understand the decision - Wakelin has retired and Presti only played 3 games last year. Leigh Brown isn't going to be a first choice player, but if it was a choice between playing him or someone like Steven Gaertner or Michael Gugliotta as a backup, I know who I'd prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back