Thanks Denis...Thanks a lot...

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 19, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
S.A Spurs, Liverpool
For all those who are bagging Denis Pagan, I'd just like to come to his defence. To help you all to understand, I will relate a story.

Last week I turned up to work and they said to me "Look Yianni, I know this is difficult for you, but ahhh...I don't know how to say this, but...well...this year we can only pay you $700,000"

Well to say the least I was FURIOUS! LIVID! In the midst of breaking the nearest fragile object, I yelled, "You cannot be serious! How can you look me in the eye and tell me that! $700,000!"

I spread my legs apart. "Why don't you just kick me in the balls while you're at it!"

I could not believe the cheek of these people. I mean sure the company had fallen on hard times, and they had been around for 125 years, but this was ME they were talking about. And $700,000, well, you can't even buy mixed lollies with that these days!

I was so mad. So I bailed. Went to one of our biggest competitors. They paid me $800,000 a year. Thank GOD! It's always the 8th $100,000 that is the most important. I think most people understand that.

Many times I've been reading a catalogue arranged in increasing order of price and been crestfallen when I find that all the things that I want fall within the price band $700,000-$800,000.

Awful times in my life, just awful.

So GET OFF PAGAN'S BACK! He's only doing what any millionaire coach would do! He's out for cash. Cash-money. It's all about the Benjamins! Dollar dollar bill y'all. Gotta make that Green.

I now only await the day in which the players are referred to as 'fee earners'

End Ultra Sarcastic Rant

Originally posted by Yianni
For all those who are bagging Denis Pagan, I'd just like to come to his defence. To help you all to understand, I will relate a story.

Last week I turned up to work and they said to me "Look Yianni, I know this is difficult for you, but ahhh...I don't know how to say this, but...well...this year we can only pay you $700,000"

Well to say the least I was FURIOUS! LIVID! In the midst of breaking the nearest fragile object, I yelled, "You cannot be serious! How can you look me in the eye and tell me that! $700,000!"

I spread my legs apart. "Why don't you just kick me in the balls while you're at it!"

I could not believe the cheek of these people. I mean sure the company had fallen on hard times, and they had been around for 125 years, but this was ME they were talking about. And $700,000, well, you can't even buy mixed lollies with that these days!

I was so mad. So I bailed. Went to one of our biggest competitors. They paid me $800,000 a year. Thank GOD! It's always the 8th $100,000 that is the most important. I think most people understand that.

Many times I've been reading a catalogue arranged in increasing order of price and been crestfallen when I find that all the things that I want fall within the price band $700,000-$800,000.

Awful times in my life, just awful.

So GET OFF PAGAN'S BACK! He's only doing what any millionaire coach would do! He's out for cash. Cash-money. It's all about the Benjamins! Dollar dollar bill y'all. Gotta make that Green.

I now only await the day in which the players are referred to as 'fee earners'

End Ultra Sarcastic Rant

Yianni... did they really expect you to work for a miserable 700 grand??? fu(ken idiots...

Now I understand Dennis had a really difficult time. I won't bag him no more. I always thought that the difference between 700,000 and 800,000 is just 100,000. But its actually more than 100,000.

Originally posted by ozzult
Where did you hear that North offered him 700k a year?

on fox footy news this was mentioned that the cash was matched but it came down to pagan doing the extra duties, which many top coaches do anyway,

What comes around goes around...... I cant wait for that day. If Carlscum dont make the finals in the next two years.... Brittian will be a happy man.

Pigeon, I take my hat of to you for ripping Elliot apart, not that he will be around for to much longer either.

NO EADE, NO WALLACE, NO ROOS

Tony Elshaug - step up to the plate !!!

You guys are fcuked. There's a bit more to it than the extra 100k or whatever it is.

Pagan is a career coach. One of the best. His reputation hangs solely on his coaching record. If he was to stay at the Kangaroos, he would have been disadvantaged more so than if he were at another club. Apparently, the AFL have ordered the Kangaroos to only spend about 92.5% of their salary cap. Sentimant aside, why would he coach at a club where he wouldn't be able to get the quality of players that he would be able to at another club?

What's more, to get his wage at the Kangaroos he would have to commit to a number of media activities. This will also be at the expense of his coaching performance.

He gave you more than 10 years and 2 flags, what more do you want? Do you want him to put his professional reputation on the line for just for the benefit of the supporters?

I suggest you STFU, and give the guy the respect and applause that he deserves.

Originally posted by bunsen burner

He gave you more than 10 years and 2 flags, what more do you want? Do you want him to put his professional reputation on the line for just for the benefit of the supporters?

I suggest you STFU, and give the guy the respect and applause that he deserves.

Thats a bit rich coming from an Eagles supporter!

POT KETTLE BLACK

Apparently, the AFL have ordered the Kangaroos to only spend about 92.5% of their salary cap. Sentimant aside, why would he coach at a club where he wouldn't be able to get the quality of players that he would be able to at another club?

der tred where the heck have you been hiding that you only just figured this out or do you support one one of the afl helped teams that is allowed to spend 100% or more on salary cap

Originally posted by hotpie

Thats a bit rich coming from an Eagles supporter!

POT KETTLE BLACK
What?

Are you suggesting that I had a whinge when Malthouse left? I don't think so. How about you go back and dig up the posts to see what I said. Actually, I will save you the effort and tell you what I said:

"Malthouse has been great for the Eagles, but it is time both parties went in separate directions. Although he is leaving, he has nothing but respect from me."

Same sentiment stands today. Some Eagles fans had a whinge, but I wasn't one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by mighty mick

der tred where the heck have you been hiding that you only just figured this out or do you support one one of the afl helped teams that is allowed to spend 100% or more on salary cap
Hey look, you f'ing dumc bunt, you missed the point. Completely.

If you were a coach, would you prefer to coach a team that is allowed to spend 92.5% of their salary cap, or a team that is allowed to spend 100% of their salary cap?

And what do you mean by "one one of the afl helped teams that is allowed to spend 100% or more on salary cap ". Firstly, I don't know of any teams that have been given a green light to spend more than their salary cap, and secondly, the Kangaroos are the club getting the support, not the other clubs. The reason they aren't allowed to spend the full 100% is because they can't afford it.

Do you expect the AFL to cover it or something?

What?

Are you suggesting that I had a whinge when Malthouse left? I don't think so. How about you go back and dig up the posts to see what I said. Actually, I will save you the effort and tell you what I said:

"Malthouse has been great for the Eagles, but it is time both parties went in separate directions. Although he is leaving, he has nothing but respect from me."

Same sentiment stands today. Some Eagles fans had a whinge, but I wasn't one of them.

Point taken - I put you in with many other ungrateful, spiteful Eagles fans who are/were quite vocal in their detest for Malthouse. I would hate to see the same happen to Pagan.

Look, I respect what Pagan has done at North. I respect him as a coach. He's been at the club in a senior capacity for 10 years and as an Under 19's coach for about 7. That's as long as a lot of people here have been alive.

If he'd just left in normal circumstances I would say "Thanks for the good times, etc"

But these aren't normal circumstances. Our Captain and best player perhaps ever left in disgrace. He was the marketing face of our team. The club, if it all goes the wrong way, may cease to exist. Pagan is one of the league's best coaches and would help to attract a lot of corporate sponsorship.

I repeat, these are NOT normal circumstances. To make a 'business decision' when it could well mean the life of a club is what ****es me off more than him leaving.

I severely hope I'm wrong, and I'm sure the North spirit will shine through, but jesus, I'M JUST SICK OF THINGS GOING WRONG!

Originally posted by hotpie

Point taken - I put you in with many other ungrateful, spiteful Eagles fans who are/were quite vocal in their detest for Malthouse. I would hate to see the same happen to Pagan.
I think most of the Eagles fans who were complaining about it are well over it and see Malthouse for what he was - a great coach for the Eagles. Especially since things are going well for the club.

Same will happen with Pagan. After a bit of time, the fans will realise that his departure was for the better.

Originally posted by gPhonque
North's trophy cabinet would be pretty bare if it weren't for one Denis Pagan.

of course it would take someone who wasnt around in the 70s to say this

life goes on if i had anything against the guy leaving i would of turned my framed posters around to face the wall, so next batter up many roos posters only remember pagan and schimma being sacked before that, the beat goes on

What's more, to get his wage at the Kangaroos he would have to commit to a number of media activities. This will also be at the expense of his coaching performance.

Hasn't seemed to bother the likes of Malthouse, Matthews who are much more media friendly than Pagan. I don't have a problem with his decision (other than being disappointed) but I think this excuse is a copout.

Moomba

Looks like it wasn't about money but about time. And good coaches get to be good coaches by getting in the right place at the right time. It's all typical even stereotypical. Move froma struggling club to a rich club at the botom end of the cycle.

I guess it would hurt North supporters since there team seems to be one that's gone further on heart than a lot this year.

Originally posted by Yianni

I repeat, these are NOT normal circumstances. To make a 'business decision' when it could well mean the life of a club is what ****es me off more than him leaving.

He can't stay forever though. At some point in the future he would have to leave. You might think that the timing is wrong and this is the worst time for him to leave, but realistically, the kangaroos will always be fighting an uphill battle to survive.

They have just been through the most successful era of the club and have no financial security to show for it. They were in the finals for the best part of 10 years, won two flags, and had the best ever (arguable) player as well as the most marketable player in the league. If they struggle to survive after that era, they will always struggle.

I have always questioned why the Kangaroos didn't relocate to Sydney during this time, rather than make a half hearted attempt. A club's survival pretty much hinges on one overbearing factor - supporter base. Supporter bases don't change over time. Most people support the club that their parents support. North joined the comp late (1925) and were geographically wedged in between established clubs like Essendon and Footscray who already had supporter bases. What's more, North Melbourne is more a commercial are than a residential area.

So, given that supporter bases are hard to expand (in Melb) even during a club's successful era, I felt that the kangaroos should have gone for a slice of the Sydney market. The timing was right (flags, Carey, attractive footy), it just would have meant making the sacrifice of having a few lean years (not unlike the Swans first 15). Football in Sydney is only going to get bigger.

All I know is that if the Kangas are still alive in 20 years, they will still have the same supporter base, and will still be struggling. The alternative (Sydney) surely couldn't be worse than that.

A hypothetical question for Roo supporters:

If the Kangas were guaranteed a strong, solid, and consistent supporter base within 20 years of moving to Sydney, would you be happy for your team to leave Melbourne?

A hypothetical question for Roo supporters:

If the Kangas were guaranteed a strong, solid, and consistent supporter base within 20 years of moving to Sydney, would you be happy for your team to leave Melbourne?

No.

While personally I would still follow a relocated Kangaroos (preferably in Canberra instead of Sydney) it would destroy a huge percentage of the supporters. I know too many South Melbourne supporters who don't follow football any more to want to see this happen again.

Moomba

I have always questioned why the Kangaroos didn't relocate to Sydney during this time, rather than make a half hearted attempt. A club's survival pretty much hinges on one overbearing factor - supporter base. Supporter bases don't change over time.

Well, I think you've answered your own question there.

Over 20,000 Melbourne based financial members is a large population to turn your back on, not to mention the unfianancial barrackers. Do you think that this kind of supporter base is going to turn up in Sydney overnight?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Denis...Thanks a lot...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back