The 157,000-Seat Super Stadium That Never Was - "WOW"

Remove this Banner Ad

Great story this, thanks OP. I was always dissapointed we didn't get the "super stadium", it would have been incredible to have the members stand wrap around the whole ground. A direct train line out there would have made it feel much more accessible. Even as it was Waverley had a lot going for it. The big area would have helped combat the congested game. And when it was packed the atmosphere was amazing.
Lol simple fact Waverley was a cold old windy dump!

The seats were far to away and the oval was to big.
It would have been awesome if they did keep a stadium out that way but it might have helped if the original design of it was better to begin with

Hed have heard of arctic park.

The number of people who have never been to it who have the opinion how bad it is/was is interesting
I went there once for Auskick when I was about 6 to a hawthorn vs freo game.

My only real memories were buying a new jacket for it and the song that goes 'I get knocked down, but I get up again'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish it was still around... perhaps downgraded to say a 55k capacity but upgraded in features (replacing the wooden seats, more corporate boxes, reduce the gap between the fence and boundary), a train line down there, extending from Glen Waverley to replace the need for buses would have been great.... a venue used each week by Hawthorn and St.Kilda - a place Hawks and Saints fans could call a fortress while other Vic sides and their fans would hate to go down there and getting thumped on a regular basis.

Hawks and Saints would get to play all their home games in Melbourne and not sell them off interstate/overseas.

Play the odd final down there against non Vic sides.

Population Center of Melbourne in the south-east would have loved it. A bit of VFL suburban footy that could have been held onto in modern day AFL.

Last edited:
Remember having a footy book in SA in early70's which showed plans for Football Park having capacity of 80k - with upper deck going the whole way round the ground.

Seems it was generally expected in those days to build mega stadiums. Think the oil crisis in 73-74 probably put paid to some of this ambitions - inflation and unemployment rose.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/th...m-that-never-was/story-fndv7pj3-1227553859565

f4b6bc08c15c9db606d04f28e20767a3
This is not new news. Everyone who is not a child already knew this. Should of posted it back on Big footy 40 years ago.

If you want a lesson on stadiums out of the city with shit transport and congestion issues go and look at Footy Park. Adealide Oval is the best thing to happen to SA footy and the two ideas (Waverly/MCG) are very similar.

The northern stand of the MCG s back row is ten rows fuurther away from the action, but the number of rows is the same, there is simply more space per row.

I think footy can be appreciated better than some ball sports from a bigger distance, so it works, and the unbuilt waverley park would have worked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always enjoyed the atmosmosphere at Waverly. It enabled a calm meditative state, of self awareness, of oneness with now and enabled one to empty the mind of thoughts and emotions and just watch the game in perfect silence.

Massive overkill. 100k is more than enough for Australian sports and the like.

Only the GF regularly fills our bigger stadiums to a point you could argue more seats would be needed.

Massive overkill. 100k is more than enough for Australian sports and the like.

Only the GF regularly fills our bigger stadiums to a point you could argue more seats would be needed.

About 122,000 at the 1970 Grand Final so they were thinking in right region of crowds of those times.
Actually 115,000 seemed like a grand final crowd until they OH & S systems came into being.

I think the 1982 crowd was over 110,000 when Carlton and Richmond played.
When it fell below 100,000 in 1983 it was smallest grand final crowd for 26 years.

Waverley Park was a poor design in right region of Melbourne for another big footy ground. Real pity there is none in the south-eastern region central to many more people.
The Docklands a worse design than even Waverley and made smaller on purpose to force people to learn to book tickets and pay premium prices.

The fence was too far from boundary at Waverley and the gradient of the stands meant you were too far away from action to make it ideal.
Still enjoyed plenty of games there. Went to many a big Carlton and Collingwood game out there.

I enjoy the nostalgia about this ground and have some great memories. Was a good surface and nice and wide open made for some good games.

But for the fans, it was not that good at all to be brutally honest. Too far from the action, difficult to get to and away from (no way it could handle the larger crows we get these days nearly as well as G or Docklands ), cold, shit seats, etc. Abandoning it was one of the better moves by the league in recent times.

Like this one?

133794_cdfcfdf89e24a681890ed0b8a650b44b.jpg

About 122,000 at the 1970 Grand Final so they were thinking in right region of crowds of those times.
Actually 115,000 seemed like a grand final crowd until they OH & S systems came into being.

I think the 1982 crowd was over 110,000 when Carlton and Richmond played.
When it fell below 100,000 in 1983 it was smallest grand final crowd for 26 years.

Waverley Park was a poor design in right region of Melbourne for another big footy ground. Real pity there is none in the south-eastern region central to many more people.
The Docklands a worse design than even Waverley and made smaller on purpose to force people to learn to book tickets and pay premium prices.

The fence was too far from boundary at Waverley and the gradient of the stands meant you were too far away from action to make it ideal.
Still enjoyed plenty of games there. Went to many a big Carlton and Collingwood game out there.

I second this post. Every point made I agree with.

You also have to remember how society was when Waverley was designed.
1. No live sport on TV (We didn't get the GF live until 1977, and then every year we had to endure 'If it's not a sell-out the game wont be shown live').
2. Black and White 20-inch TVs. Even the Western Oval on a freezing, blowy July afternoon was a better footy experience than trying to watch on the box.
3. No international sport to take people's interest. The NBA wasn't shown in Australia until the early 80s. English soccer was a 1-hour highlights package a week late. Hell, down here we didn't even get to see the NRL.

Thje 1930 GF drew 45,000. The 1950 GF drew 85,000. The 1960 GF drew 97,000. The 1970 GF drew 121,000. Based on that growth rate, they were proabably planning to upgrade Waverley early 2000s to about 200,000.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 157,000-Seat Super Stadium That Never Was - "WOW"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back