Toast The 1914 Indestructibles

Remove this Banner Ad

What a champion!

It is just great to see such a revered Port Adelaide Player and a Aust Rules Legend, held in such esteem is still talked about 100+ years later.

HAROLD OLIVER'S LAST GAME.

Trove: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/74375273

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931 – 1954 Friday 9 October 1931

Former Port Champion Retires

At a victory social of the Berri Football Club, Harold Oliver was presented with a silver entree dish by members and supporters of the club in appreciation of services rendered to football generally, and to the Berri Club in Particular.' Oliver will be remembered by many old football enthusiasts as a one-time Port Adelaide and State champion. After appearing for Berri in the game which earned it the premiership of the Upper Murray Association this year, he announced his definite retirement from the game.

I very much enjoyed reading this tribute to Harold Oliver who was a star in the Port Adelaide 1914 Indestructible Team. I cleaned up the spelling as best as I could read from the faded print on trove. Would anyone know the whereabouts of the medal he won in 1914? or if there is a treasured photo of him with it?

HAROLD OLIVER EULOGISED

UNSURPASSED AS HIGH MARK.

SUGGESTED AS PORT COACH.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/106701759?searchTerm=HAROLD OLIVER COMES BACK&searchLimits=

Daily Herald (Adelaide, SA : 1910 – 1924) Previous issue Friday 20 July 1923 Page 7

(From "One of the Ninety-Nine” )

The article in one of your recent issues on Harold Oliver, the great Port Adelaide footballer, was, to many present day followers of the game, as well as those of the pre-war period, a very interesting one. The writer apparently had an intimate knowledge of this great player, but did not in the least over-rate his ability. As one of the ninety-nine he mentioned, I thought it might be as well to give a few more opinions that have been expressed outside of his own particular club.

I also had the pleasure of reading the article published in"The Referee" on "Great Australian Rule Players," and consider it worth quoting. Speaking of the 1914 Carnival in connection with "Adelaide's Cracks,"' it said: "J. Robertson, the medal winner for South Australia, was a veritable 'Rock of Gibraltar' in defence. A clever mark, and possessing dash of a high order, he was always in the picture when the wheat fiddlers’ opponents managed to work the ball to their forward line. Time after time he shot out like a bolt from the blue, and cleared the ball from the danger zone.'

—"Oliver a Master."—

"But the man who filled my eye as the ‘beau ideal' of a footballer was W. H. Oliver. He was not as consistent as Robertson, but there was an ease and grace about his work which unmistakably pro claimed him the master." When our representatives returned from S.A. after the 1911 Carnival, they all praised Oliver's football, especially the late Ralph Robertson, than whom there were very few better judges.

'An old Tasmanian representative, Charlie Goddard, whose son was in the 1914 Carnival, was enraptured with Oliver's football in Sydney. He regarded Oliver as the noblest Roman of them all. If he were not the most serviceable in that series of matches, no man in any of the States displayed more attractive football.

During the Port's visit to W-A- in 1910 f was informed that in their first match against the Combined Goldfields, the general opinion expressed after the match was that no better exhibition of marking had ever been seen on the goldfields than that given by Oliver. When it is re membered that he was then only 19 years of age, playing his first year in senior football, and that the goldfielders had many of the great Victorian players during the "Roaring Nineties," one must admit this is a wonderful feat.

—Only One Man in It.—

When Mr. Charles Checkett, curator of the Adelaide Oval for many years, re tired from the position, it was reported in the daily press he was asked to name the best footballer he had seen on the Adelaide Oval, to-which he replied that there was only one man in it, and that was "Harold Oliver."

I think the public who witnessed the Interstate game between Victoria and S.A. about 1912 will not easily forget the part Oliver played in winning that game.

A Sketch by Jack Forrest of SA Capt. VIC RICHARDSON.

The Caption underneath Sketch is… Who will lead S.A. against Tasmania tomorrow.

Upon resuming after half-time, Victoria, who were then a few goals behind, came with a burst of fine play, adding four goals in about ten minutes. Renphrey (whom I consider one of I the ablest captains S.A. ever had) called Oliver to half-back from half-forward. He did not ask an additional follower to come in, which seems the present day tactics to stem the tide. The result was seen by every- onlooker.

Though the Victorians attacked as strongly as before, Oliver rose to the occasion and they did not score again during the quarter, and S.A. recovering, won in the end. The visiting captain expressed the opinion that on his showing in that match Victoria had no equal to him.

The match mentioned by "Old Portonian."—against North Adelaide at Alberton—will ever be a memorable one for those who saw it. Oliver was carried of the ground during the last quarter through a bad collision, after having kicked seven goals from half-forward and having given one of the most dazzling displays of marking probably ever witnessed.

A match worthy of comment was the final one of 1914, when the undefeated Port Adelaide team met a combined South Australian team, winning by 14- to 5. Oliver was injured in the first half of the match, .and after the interval he was placed as goal-keeper. So ably did he perform in this unaccustomed role that he won the medal presented for the best player of the 36.

—A Proved Champion.—

In summing up Oliver's ability, it should be remembered that he was proved champion in every part of the field. He is the only man the writer ever saw who fairly beat Head at centre at any time I witnessed Head play, but it was a tribute to Head that Port were forced to play Oliver on him. It is known to footballers, but not generally recognised the public, how much more difficult it is to play forward and back. In our teams to-day we have many fine back men, lf we cannot produce a half-forward approaching the standard of this great player. Seeing the benefit of Norwood have reaped from the coaching of Leahy if should be a matter worth of consideration for the Port committee to try and secure Olivers’ services as a coach for the ensuing season. I feel confident he could make a great improvement to the standard of play since 1921. What he has done for his team will not be easily forgotten by the public of Port Adelaide.

I very much enjoyed reading this tribute to Harold Oliver who was a star in the Port Adelaide 1914 Indestructible Team. I cleaned up the spelling as best as I could read from the faded print on trove. Would anyone know the whereabouts of the medal he won in 1914? or if there is a treasured photo of him with it?

HAROLD OLIVER EULOGISED

UNSURPASSED AS HIGH MARK.

SUGGESTED AS PORT COACH.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/106701759?searchTerm=HAROLD OLIVER COMES BACK&searchLimits=

Daily Herald (Adelaide, SA : 1910 – 1924) Previous issue Friday 20 July 1923 Page 7

(From "One of the Ninety-Nine” )

The article in one of your recent issues on Harold Oliver, the great Port Adelaide footballer, was, to many present day followers of the game, as well as those of the pre-war period, a very interesting one. The writer apparently had an intimate knowledge of this great player, but did not in the least over-rate his ability. As one of the ninety-nine he mentioned, I thought it might be as well to give a few more opinions that have been expressed outside of his own particular club.

I also had the pleasure of reading the article published in"The Referee" on "Great Australian Rule Players," and consider it worth quoting. Speaking of the 1914 Carnival in connection with "Adelaide's Cracks,"' it said: "J. Robertson, the medal winner for South Australia, was a veritable 'Rock of Gibraltar' in defence. A clever mark, and possessing dash of a high order, he was always in the picture when the wheat fiddlers’ opponents managed to work the ball to their forward line. Time after time he shot out like a bolt from the blue, and cleared the ball from the danger zone.'

—"Oliver a Master."—

"But the man who filled my eye as the ‘beau ideal' of a footballer was W. H. Oliver. He was not as consistent as Robertson, but there was an ease and grace about his work which unmistakably pro claimed him the master." When our representatives returned from S.A. after the 1911 Carnival, they all praised Oliver's football, especially the late Ralph Robertson, than whom there were very few better judges.

'An old Tasmanian representative, Charlie Goddard, whose son was in the 1914 Carnival, was enraptured with Oliver's football in Sydney. He regarded Oliver as the noblest Roman of them all. If he were not the most serviceable in that series of matches, no man in any of the States displayed more attractive football.

During the Port's visit to W-A- in 1910 f was informed that in their first match against the Combined Goldfields, the general opinion expressed after the match was that no better exhibition of marking had ever been seen on the goldfields than that given by Oliver. When it is re membered that he was then only 19 years of age, playing his first year in senior football, and that the goldfielders had many of the great Victorian players during the "Roaring Nineties," one must admit this is a wonderful feat.

—Only One Man in It.—

When Mr. Charles Checkett, curator of the Adelaide Oval for many years, re tired from the position, it was reported in the daily press he was asked to name the best footballer he had seen on the Adelaide Oval, to-which he replied that there was only one man in it, and that was "Harold Oliver."

I think the public who witnessed the Interstate game between Victoria and S.A. about 1912 will not easily forget the part Oliver played in winning that game.

A Sketch by Jack Forrest of SA Capt. VIC RICHARDSON.

The Caption underneath Sketch is… Who will lead S.A. against Tasmania tomorrow.

Upon resuming after half-time, Victoria, who were then a few goals behind, came with a burst of fine play, adding four goals in about ten minutes. Renphrey (whom I consider one of I the ablest captains S.A. ever had) called Oliver to half-back from half-forward. He did not ask an additional follower to come in, which seems the present day tactics to stem the tide. The result was seen by every- onlooker.

Though the Victorians attacked as strongly as before, Oliver rose to the occasion and they did not score again during the quarter, and S.A. recovering, won in the end. The visiting captain expressed the opinion that on his showing in that match Victoria had no equal to him.

The match mentioned by "Old Portonian."—against North Adelaide at Alberton—will ever be a memorable one for those who saw it. Oliver was carried of the ground during the last quarter through a bad collision, after having kicked seven goals from half-forward and having given one of the most dazzling displays of marking probably ever witnessed.

A match worthy of comment was the final one of 1914, when the undefeated Port Adelaide team met a combined South Australian team, winning by 14- to 5. Oliver was injured in the first half of the match, .and after the interval he was placed as goal-keeper. So ably did he perform in this unaccustomed role that he won the medal presented for the best player of the 36.

—A Proved Champion.—

In summing up Oliver's ability, it should be remembered that he was proved champion in every part of the field. He is the only man the writer ever saw who fairly beat Head at centre at any time I witnessed Head play, but it was a tribute to Head that Port were forced to play Oliver on him. It is known to footballers, but not generally recognised the public, how much more difficult it is to play forward and back. In our teams to-day we have many fine back men, lf we cannot produce a half-forward approaching the standard of this great player. Seeing the benefit of Norwood have reaped from the coaching of Leahy if should be a matter worth of consideration for the Port committee to try and secure Olivers’ services as a coach for the ensuing season. I feel confident he could make a great improvement to the standard of play since 1921. What he has done for his team will not be easily forgotten by the public of Port Adelaide.
Great work redcentrepower
Excellent read and much appreciated.

Great work redcentrepower
Excellent read and much appreciated.

I think this historical article paints a great picture of this Port Adelaide champion player and that great team from 100 years ago. A great description of Harold as the ‘beau ideal' of a footballer; confirms for me that he was one of the greatest players to never win a Magarey Medal. Our club has been blessed with so many great teams and skilled players like Harold Oliver who have all ensured the Port Adelaide tradition continues..I really love the birth of "They will never tear us apart"..at Adelaide Oval.

Last edited:
This thread has so effectively brought the name of HAROLD OLIVER alive again.

It's not the first time this has happened recently, a Port Adelaide name being brought back to life - something to which I can personally attest with, again, sincere thanks.

My father talked about Oliver all the time. My father's name is on the Honour Board as a supporter in the Geof Motley Race and, logically, as a past player so is Harold Oliver's.

I would like this champion's name to be resurrected more prominently, if not at Adelaide Oval where his most famous photo was taken a la HaroldOliver then surely at Alberton.

Is he one of the legends on the 'Prison Bar Wall' at the Port Club? I'm shamed to admit I can't recall seeing it on visits in 2013/2014, but surely it must be there.

This thread has so effectively brought the name of HAROLD OLIVER alive again.

It's not the first time this has happened recently, a Port Adelaide name being brought back to life - something to which I can personally attest with, again, sincere thanks.

My father talked about Oliver all the time. My father's name is on the Honour Board as a supporter in the Geof Motley Race and, logically, as a past player so is Harold Oliver's.

I would like this champion's name to be resurrected more prominently, if not at Adelaide Oval where his most famous photo was taken a la HaroldOliver then surely at Alberton.

Is he one of the legends on the 'Prison Bar Wall' at the Port Club? I'm shamed to admit I can't recall seeing it on visits in 2013/2014, but surely it must be there.

I believe there should be a framed tribute to him and the 1914 Team at Alberton... + a statue erected at Adelaide Oval of Harold Oliver's High Mark.

I have found another good story of him back playing in Adelaide with a photo I have never seen of him.

FOOTBALL VETERAN.

HAROLD OLIVER IN FORM

Former Port Captain.

Although it is nine years since he re tired from league football, Harold Oliver (former Port captain) is far from becoming a back number. He is in Adelaide leading the Upper Murray Association football team, and in three matches he has kicked 21 goals. He is 38 years of age. Oliver has a fruit block at Berri, and last year he captained the local team.

The association comprises Berri, Waikerie, Barmera, and Renmark.. Although players in his team and in the association have opportunity to benefit from his knowledge of the game, Oliver has not undertaken the duties of coach. Occasionally he addresses the men when they meet to play on Saturdays.

For a while Oliver was an umpire in the country. Nowaday he plays cricket and football. He is caretaker of Berri Oval, which was planted two years ago. It is controlled by a committee representing various sporting bodies in the town, Oliver is fond of country football, and is much impressed by the excellent spirit existing among clubs and players; without which he believes the play would deteriorate.

In six matches at Berri he has averaged more than 10 goals. When he decided to play again he wanted a position back or forward, which would not make it necessary for him to run much.

He admitted that he felt fit, although he had not had a rub down since he left Port.

News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 – 1954) Thursday 19 September 1929

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/129072420?searchTerm=Harold Oliver&searchLimits=

Note: There is a photo of Harold Oliver on the same page.

I have found another good story of him back playing in Adelaide with a photo I have never seen of him.

FOOTBALL VETERAN.

HAROLD OLIVER IN FORM

Former Port Captain.

Although it is nine years since he re tired from league football, Harold Oliver (former Port captain) is far from becoming a back number. He is in Adelaide leading the Upper Murray Association football team, and in three matches he has kicked 21 goals. Oliver has a fruit block at Berri, and last year he captained the local team.

The association comprises Berri, Waikerie, Barmera, and Renmark.. Although players in his team and in the association have opportunity to benefit from his knowledge of the game, Oliver has not undertaken the duties of coach. Occasionally he addresses the men when they meet to play on Saturdays.

For a while Oliver was an umpire in the country. Nowaday he plays cricket and football. He is caretaker of Berri Oval, which was planted two years ago. It is controlled by a committee representing various sporting bodies in the town, Oliver is fond of country football, and is much impressed by the excellent spirit existing among clubs and players; without which he believes the play would deteriorate.

In six matches at Berri he has averaged more than 10 goals. When he decided to play again he wanted a position back or forward, which would not make it necessary for him to run much.

He admitted that he felt fit, although he had not had a rub down since he left Port.

News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 – 1954) Thursday 19 September 1929

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/129072420?searchTerm=Harold Oliver&searchLimits=

Note: There is a photo of Harold Oliver on the same page.
"He is 38 years of age.....In six matches at Berri he has averaged more than 10 goals......
He admitted that he felt fit, although he had not had a rub down since he left Port."

Imagine if he'd had regular rub downs, how fit would he have been?
What a champion.

This thread has so effectively brought the name of HAROLD OLIVER alive again. It's not the first time this has happened recently, a Port Adelaide name being brought back to life - something to which I can personally attest with, again, sincere thanks.

My father talked about Oliver all the time. My father's name is on the Honour Board as a supporter in the Geof Motley Race and, logically, as a past player so is Harold Oliver's. I would like this champion's name to be resurrected more prominently, if not at Adelaide Oval where his most famous photo was taken a la HaroldOliver then surely at Alberton.

What a great idea. Could you imagine if at home games we unfurled a banner of that icon picture from the side of the old scoreboard all the way down to the ground like the club has banners of current players at club functions and upstairs at The Port Club. A 15m x 5m banner of the following on the western side of the scoreboard each game. The media would have to do a story on it and Harold's name and image would go Australia wide - even International.

511966-historic.jpg

What a great idea. Could you imagine if at home games we unfurled a banner of that icon picture from the side of the old scoreboard all the way down to the ground like the club has banners of current players at club functions and upstairs at The Port Club. A 15m x 5m banner of the following on the western side of the scoreboard each game. The media would have to do a story on it and Harold's name and image would go Australia wide - even International.

511966-historic.jpg
We really absolutely must definitely should superlative wear that guernsey against Carlton this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe there should be a framed tribute to him and the 1914 Team at Alberton... + a statue erected at Adelaide Oval of Harold Oliver's High Mark.

Yes, this and then some! Not for recognition of HO, but the Invincibles of 1914!

Looking at that photo it looks like he has some indigenous ancestry but the records refute that. He was involved in an incident where he was heckled by someone in the crowd in the country and he punched them. I wonder if it was a racist remark that sparked the response. Not sure where the idea of his indigenous ancestry came from but for some reason I hope its true.

Not sure if this has been posted. I found it a great read and what a team!!

Port Adelaide’s history is so rich, so deep that naming its team of the 20th century would have short-changed the pioneers from the club’s first 30 years.

So Port Adelaide in June 2001 announced its Greatest Team (1870-2000) from two centuries

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/club/history/greatest-team

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...at-adelaide-oval/story-fndv8s6g-1226991287562
Port Adelaide denied opportunity to wear heritage jumper at first Friday night match at Adelaide Oval
PORT Adelaide’s wish to wear its 1914 black-and-white jumper against Carlton in the Power’s first Friday Night Football clash at Adelaide Oval is gone.

Donning the prison-bar guernsey in the round 22 clash on August 22 was to be part of Port’s grand celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the club’s triumph against Carlton for the 1914 Championship of Australian title.
Despite the Power having an agreement with the AFL — to overcome sensitivities with Collingwood — that it would only wear the club’s black-and-white strips on significant occasions, the centenary of the national title has not met with the league’s approval.
More ....
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...at-adelaide-oval/story-fndv8s6g-1226991287562

Posted elsewhere but belongs here:
Harold Oliver (Australian footballer)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back