News The 2018 Brownlow Medal winner! Tom Mitchell!

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been a little annoyed by various sectors of the media as I feel they are not giving Tom the credit he deserves. There have been comments that the Brownlow is exclusively a midfielders award and this season proves ruckmen will never win the Brownlow again. Now, we knew this when the likes of Dangerfield, Martin, Ablett, Fyfe, Priddis, Cotchin etc won the award, why bring it up now?

What they are trying to tell us is, a ruckman (probably their darling Gawn) should have won the award, which is absolute rubbish. Mitchell has just completed the most outstanding season from any midfielder in living history, and they think it should have gone to a ruckman with a stupid beard who kicks like a 7 year old girl?

Call it paranoia if you like, but it was obvious early in the year that Tom was in Brownlow form, and the media did everything they could to push Gawn's profile. Watching the West Coast v Melbourne PF, I saw more of Gawn during commercial breaks than I saw during the game.

I agree on Gawn: he’s the media favourite: doing the funny advertisements, being Mr Personality in front of the cameras.

But, apart from taking a mark or two, he stuffs up at key moments in big games and still gets the accolades.

Gawn is overrated and wasn’t getting votes until after halfway mark of the year, just as the media flogs were amping up his status.
Then umps took notice!!
Gawn isn’t even a Top 40 player in the comp, in fact I believe B. Grundy is the better player all round.
No show has spent any time in talking about Tom’s Brownlow winning effort. It’s been mentioned in passing and that’s about it.
I hope to God, that Tom is a premiership, norm smith winning TWO time Brownlow medalist by the time he retires!!!!

Will back up with another PCM on Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing him develop again in 2019, no doubt will get even more attention on-field and he needs to start working through a tag, that will take him to even another higher level.

Gun.

Will back up with another PCM on Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing him develop again in 2019, no doubt will get even more attention on-field and he needs to start working through a tag, that will take him to even another higher level.

Gun.

Imagine how good he will be in a year or 2 when he hits his peak !

Since winning charlie the media are now floating the idea that getting Tom was the worst trade ever, for Sydney

We traded Wayne Carey for $10,000 so hard to beat that.

I also think Tom wouldnt be quite as good staying under a coach who clearly for some unknown reason limited his opportunities- he was still a gun at sydney and it was bloody stupid to not lock him away way earlier (which i said at the time) , but i also think the move has made him even better (though given he is yet to peak perhaps he would always have been this good)

We traded Wayne Carey for $10,000 so hard to beat that.

I also think Tom wouldnt be quite as good staying under a coach who clearly for some unknown reason limited his opportunities- he was still a gun at sydney and it was bloody stupid to not lock him away way earlier (which i said at the time) , but i also think the move has made him even better (though given he is yet to peak perhaps he would always have been this good)
Yep was having this discussion the other day. JPK at the Hawks similar in a sense. He was down the pecking order (wasn't particularly fit) and got a better offer to move to Sydney for more game time.
Don't know he would have become the player he did if he stayed at the Hawks, he'd have had less opportunity to begin with and may have thought his surname meant he didn't have to work as hard.

Nobody knows for sure, Tom's certainly not playing the same role with us he was with you

Yep was having this discussion the other day. JPK at the Hawks similar in a sense. He was down the pecking order (wasn't particularly fit) and got a better offer to move to Sydney for more game time.
Don't know he would have become the player he did if he stayed at the Hawks, he'd have had less opportunity to begin with and may have thought his surname meant he didn't have to work as hard.

Nobody knows for sure, Tom's certainly not playing the same role with us he was with you

I think we got it wrong though, Mitchell was not 4th or 5th best midfielder by the end of 2016 at Sydney, thats what annoyed me.

Oh well its done now.

I think we got it wrong though, Mitchell was not 4th or 5th best midfielder by the end of 2016 at Sydney, thats what annoyed me.

Oh well its done now.
He was a legit matchwinner and was excellent in 2016.

The GF and the North Melbourne game in the wet were great ones.

Kennedy had done nothing like Tom had done over a longer period of time.

He was a legit matchwinner and was excellent in 2016.

The GF and the North Melbourne game in the wet were great ones.

Kennedy had done nothing like Tom had done over a longer period of time.

Yep agreed, Kennedy become one of the better mids in the game, but he was more of a risk at the time, also the mids ahead of him were all at the peak of their powers.

Obviously the swans wouldnt of expected Hannebery Jack and Kennedy (to a lesser extent) to drop off as much as they have done.. Ranking him below Hannebery Jack Parker and Kennedy for what they would be expected to produce going forward never made sense to me either.

Paying a spud like Tippett and low balling Mitchell, Love my club, but thats such a **** up,

Horse packed his bags as far as I am concerned anyway from what I hear he was not good to him.

It is good to see Tommy do what some of us always knew he would be doing at an elite level, hope to see the respect for him in the media grow a bit, is underrated right now.

Obviously the swans wouldnt of expected Hannebery Jack and Kennedy (to a lesser extent) to drop off as much as they have done.
I don't think anyone outside of the swans really rated Jack that highly, he was a "win" in marketing terms for getting one over the NRL, but he has a lot of limitations in his game. Probably peaked in 2012 and it's been a steady decline since then, we all figured Mitchell would have been well ahead of him in terms of players you want to build your next premiership around.

I don't think anyone outside of the swans really rated Jack that highly, he was a "win" in marketing terms for getting one over the NRL, but he has a lot of limitations in his game. Probably peaked in 2012 and it's been a steady decline since then, we all figured Mitchell would have been well ahead of him in terms of players you want to build your next premiership around.

Fair

He’s been a good clubman the all Australian probably inflated his rating internally

His best was a tagger who got the ball, tackled hard

If he is your 4th mid you are laughing and 2012 at best he was 4th

By 2016 yeah like I said , not ahead of Mitchell and even if he was his future was not as bright

Could of even traded him off and given Tom money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think Tom is underrated in the media more that he is disrespected. I’m still not sure why that is.

Maybe we also under estimate how much working with Diesel at every opportunity improved his game.

I’m just pleased that he was rewarded for all his hard work this season and I hope that with JOM growing in confidence and hopefully another quality midfielder added that he will continue to flourish and improve even more next season

Remove this Banner Ad

News The 2018 Brownlow Medal winner! Tom Mitchell!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back